Winco Bulk Bins Are Scary :(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-08-2011, 12:10 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Winco bulk bins are scary :(

I recently visited a Winco for the first time and it was all good until I got to the bulk bins section. Seriously, 1 out of every 3 people had their hands in there sampling away and then the shocking part to me was when others who had watched this going on came right behind them and loaded up their little bags with items from the very same bin that someone just had their nasty hand in not even a minute ago.

They do have great prices on spices though and I left there with a shopping bag full of .04 goodies. Just wish they could find a way to put all of their bulk items in the same "designed so you keep hands to yourself" container system as the spices to reduce the ick factor.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to DarlingNikki For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 04-08-2011, 04:52 PM

RE: Winco bulk bins are scary :(

syanew has posted more than 200 great deals!syanew has posted more than 200 great deals!syanew has posted more than 200 great deals!
I've seen the police called at my Winco when someone did that. There are even signs posted all over the bulk section so no one dares try it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to syanew For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 08:59 PM

Meow

My Mood/Status:
endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarlingNikki View Post
I recently visited a Winco for the first time and it was all good until I got to the bulk bins section. Seriously, 1 out of every 3 people had their hands in there sampling away and then the shocking part to me was when others who had watched this going on came right behind them and loaded up their little bags with items from the very same bin that someone just had their nasty hand in not even a minute ago.

They do have great prices on spices though and I left there with a shopping bag full of .04 goodies. Just wish they could find a way to put all of their bulk items in the same "designed so you keep hands to yourself" container system as the spices to reduce the ick factor.
That is so terrible to hear. DH and I ran across this at Fred Meyers last week. An elderly man was wiping his face, nose and then reaching into the bin for bulk snacks. DH let the natural section lady know.

There is a WinCo opening in Tacoma,Wa this Sunday. I was so excited to hear they have over 600 bulk items. But after hearing this I will be watchful of the bins. LOL I won't shop often since it will be 50 mi round trip there.
But I want to go there to see how good it is compared to Costco and the Commissary prices.

Nice to see you back and love your avatar.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Cat Lover.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to endlesoul For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 09:14 PM

Your trojan's in my head...
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I LOVE those bins, and sometimes I just think for the price, what I don't know won't hurt me.
I hope.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Ashleigh----> (Almost) Wife to Alfredo
and Mama to Freddy (6)

I'm pretty sure I sold my soul to Target somewhere along the way....
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to fredysmama For This Useful Post:
Old 04-19-2011, 03:06 PM

CindyOR has posted more than 1 good deal
scary bins

I'm very selective about what bins I will get bulk foods out of. I've seen transient's with their hands in getting chips and other raw snack food out. And little kids too, while their parent is distracted by shopping. So any bulk food I get needs to be something no one is going to put their fingers in and play with the contents. Flour, nuts in the overhead bins, spices, wrapped candy, rice - stuff like that I'm OK with. But nothing like the cereals, chips, jelly beans etc that people can just grab & eat. Seen this too many times and if I've seen it, it's happening when I'm not there way more since I shop at 6amish times.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to CindyOR For This Useful Post:
Old 04-20-2011, 06:49 PM

Meow

My Mood/Status:
endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!endlesoul has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Well, I went to the new Tacoma,Wa store and was glad to see that there was lots of floor personal by the bulk products. I purchased flour, cornstarch, baking powder, whole wheat penne noodles, and very surprised to see bagged Stash Tea which we bought for DD. Oh yea also spices. I usually buy my bulk spices at Fred Meyer.

I didn't get the vibe at this store of people sampling the bins.

Cat Lover.
Old 04-21-2011, 01:47 AM

My Mood/Status:
DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!DarlingNikki has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm jealous. Theres alot of interesting stuff in those bins that I'd love to try but I just cant do it ya know. Their selection of meat and pricing on their spices will get me back in that store for sure. But just thinking about what I saw that day, it makes me itchy.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarlingNikki For This Useful Post:
Old 04-21-2011, 11:02 AM

Meow

My Mood/Status:
Sorry to hear that, not sure if you have a Fred Meyers by you but they have bulk foods. The bulk prices don't seem to be as low as WinCo or as many products. I love Whole Foods bulk but the prices are high.

For me the meat had fairly decent pricing but nothing beats the military commissary. I can say that it took me 2 hrs in the store. LOL Mainly because it was crowded and so many products to gawk at. Even the most crowded commissary takes me 1 1/2 hrs.

Cat Lover.
Old 04-26-2011, 08:03 PM

Life is good!

My Mood/Status:
nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I hear what you are saying, DarlingNikki & who could blame you?

I LOVE Winco bulk bins. I rediscovered them at Thanksgiving last year, the prices are unbeatable! Here is what we get"
Granulated Sugar .42
Brown Sugar .42
Parmesean Cheese 3.87
NonFat Dry Milk 2.42
Instant Potatoes .62
Brown Rice .64,
Dried Cherries 6.32/lb
Dried Plums 1.88
Honey Roasted Sunflower Seeds 1.44

Spices, Organic Granola with freeze dried blueberries & strawberries at 2.88/lb, but they are in overhead bins.
There is a lot you can get there that isn't "manhandled" with bacteria-laden hands
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nowpoints For This Useful Post:
Old 04-26-2011, 08:26 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesoul View Post
Sorry to hear that, not sure if you have a Fred Meyers by you but they have bulk foods. The bulk prices don't seem to be as low as WinCo or as many products. I love Whole Foods bulk but the prices are high.

For me the meat had fairly decent pricing but nothing beats the military commissary. I can say that it took me 2 hrs in the store. LOL Mainly because it was crowded and so many products to gawk at. Even the most crowded commissary takes me 1 1/2 hrs.
I dont have a Fred Meyers I'm gonna have to put on my big girl panties and just deal with it. The prices and their huge selection is too hard for me to pass up

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowpoints View Post
I hear what you are saying, DarlingNikki & who could blame you?

I LOVE Winco bulk bins. I rediscovered them at Thanksgiving last year, the prices are unbeatable! Here is what we get"
Granulated Sugar .42
Brown Sugar .42
Parmesean Cheese 3.87
NonFat Dry Milk 2.42
Instant Potatoes .62
Brown Rice .64,
Dried Cherries 6.32/lb
Dried Plums 1.88
Honey Roasted Sunflower Seeds 1.44

Spices, Organic Granola with freeze dried blueberries & strawberries at 2.88/lb, but they are in overhead bins.
There is a lot you can get there that isn't "manhandled" with bacteria-laden hands
at "manhandled". Next time I go, I'm going to stick with the overhead options for sure and stop paying attention to what people are doing around me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DarlingNikki For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2011, 09:40 AM

My Mood/Status:
clipperace has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clipperace has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clipperace has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clipperace has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clipperace has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clipperace has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clipperace has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clipperace has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clipperace has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!clipperace has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I drive 3 hours each way to shop at Winco. Even with shy high gas prices, Winco is a money saver.
besides, the gas near them is .30 to.40 a gallon cheaper then my town
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to clipperace For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2011, 01:12 AM

rputalonis has posted more than 400 great deals!rputalonis has posted more than 400 great deals!rputalonis has posted more than 400 great deals!rputalonis has posted more than 400 great deals!rputalonis has posted more than 400 great deals!
are there any other "bulk" stores that come to mind ? i have never even SEEN such thing with the exception of a barrel of peanuts, and dont have any of the mentioned stores in my area
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to rputalonis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2011, 06:18 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rputalonis View Post
are there any other "bulk" stores that come to mind ? i have never even SEEN such thing with the exception of a barrel of peanuts, and dont have any of the mentioned stores in my area
The majority of "ethnic" markets I've been to have them.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarlingNikki For This Useful Post:
Old 04-28-2011, 10:06 PM

Your trojan's in my head...
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!fredysmama has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
You've never seen beans and rice or dried chilis at your grocery store rputalonis? I thought most stores have those in bulk bins.

Ashleigh----> (Almost) Wife to Alfredo
and Mama to Freddy (6)

I'm pretty sure I sold my soul to Target somewhere along the way....
The Following User Says Thank You to fredysmama For This Useful Post: