Is It Worth It To Get A Sam's Membership?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-16-2014, 12:18 PM
I'm truly blessed!
Coupon Newbie/Stockpile Amateur

My Mood/Status:
oneofakindmom86 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!oneofakindmom86 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!oneofakindmom86 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!oneofakindmom86 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!oneofakindmom86 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!oneofakindmom86 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!oneofakindmom86 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!oneofakindmom86 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Help Sign Is it worth it to get a Sam's membership?

I have a lady that is suppose to sign us up tomorrow for Sam's. With our business it's $45 and we get a $10 gc. Just trying to figure out if its worth it? Ultimately I'd love to do one big trip there a month and maybe 1 trip to kroger later in the month for perishable items. Is this reasonable thinking? Is it doable? What are your thoughts? Currently I spend about $400 a month on groceries and household. Family of 5. TIA!
Joshua 24:15
The Following User Says Thank You to oneofakindmom86 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-16-2014, 12:37 PM

RE: Is it worth it to get a Sam's membership?

Love is Love is happy

My Mood/Status:
DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I personally didnt like sams. I got a membership over costco since sams was right down the road from me. Almost everything I bought was broken or messed up. A few examples; I bought lemon extract, when we were putting it in the car I grabbed it and the seal was completely gone and spilled all over me and the car I went right back in and showed them an only asked to replace it and it was like I was asking them to sew my hand on my head. Then my husband bought some Sam Adams beer and at least 7 of the beers bottles were smashed.

The upside is they have more name brands than Costco and they carry egg noodles, and I did like their produce better. But after the beer happened we drove to costco and got a membership and we LOVE it there. Their Kirkland brands (thats the Costco brand) are really good and their meat is pretty cheap and very good meat.

I will say that a membership to a warehouse brand is good, it works very well for my family and the way we cook. I would go in to whatever warehouse stores you have near by and walk around and look at what they have food wise. They dont always have the same thing but make sure they have enough of what you want and are needing and the price and compare it. I did it and it was actually a saver for us.

I hope I helped. And good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkRayne24 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 12:38 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I don't think you save money there if you coupon. But the gas is cheaper. I just use mine for gas and I bought a box spring there last year.

My mother in law lets me use hers as a second person for free. She buys a ton there and it is time saving.
The Following User Says Thank You to hotrodswife For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 01:17 PM

dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!dianak9938 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I like Sam's. I don't go as often as I should but there are a lot of things there that are a good discount. But you have to be careful, don't buy something just because it's in bulk. Some things are more expensive there. My husband drinks monster energy drinks daily which is 5 a day at the gas station or I can get a case of 24 at Sam's for 32 so that cuts the price almost in half. I get a lot of produce and meat there and condiments like hot sauce, pepper, snacks and green beans.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dianak9938 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 01:39 PM

atev has posted more than 400 great deals!atev has posted more than 400 great deals!atev has posted more than 400 great deals!atev has posted more than 400 great deals!atev has posted more than 400 great deals!
I have both a Sam's Club membership, and a BJ's membership. Sam's is closer to me, and I do get gas there, but I have been shopping there less and less, and questioning my membership. The prices just aren't that competitive. I really wish they took coupons! The other thing that annoys me is that Sam's often runs promotional memberships where they give you cheap membership and a gift card, but they never offer any incentives to those of us who have been long-time members. I may just quit and if I want to re-join, do it when there is a promotion!

BJ's is better because of their store coupons, and the fact that they take manufacturers coupons too. Sometimes you can get some really good deals by combining the two.

Overall though, I do most of my shopping at other stores where I can use coupons.
The Following User Says Thank You to atev For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2014, 07:13 PM

It's S-U-M-M-E-R!

My Mood/Status:
ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
It really does depend on your family.

How often do you shop? Do your stores have limits? How often do you want to visit the warehouse club? What do you regularly buy? How much do you buy at once? Are the savings significant for you? Can you split the membership with someone? Does your family benefit more from savings from Qs or Sales? Can you spend large chunks of $ at one time? Is your warehouse clean, well-kept, and stocked?

I buy for 7 people. My Sam's Club is clean and kept, friendly, and usually stocked. I shop Sam's Club ~6 weeks. I can order online and just pick it up at the store. I share my membership with another family relative.

The local stores around here have limits (2 or 4 per day), there is no Q doubling, it can be 3 weeks or longer before a grocery store or drug store can honor rain checks, and my stores do not let me pre-order.

I personally recommend using the One Day Pass to look around at the local warehouse. Check it out. Make a list of items you use a lot of and what you normally pay (with and without Qs). Then, compare.

If you do decide on Sams Club, watch for the "Instant Savings Events", which is their own monthly hot sales prices. If that is the better deal, take advantage of it.
Old 01-16-2014, 09:45 PM

hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!hotrodswife has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Have you thought about a Warehouse discount grocery store. There is one in San Antonio and most of the stuff is from restaurant supply stores and some of it is so cheap. Do a search and see. Take cash. Go during daylight with a friend as they are usually in questionable neighborhoods.
Old 01-22-2014, 07:01 PM

Brak has posted more than 100 good deals!Brak has posted more than 100 good deals!
Sam's Rotisserie Chicken, already cooked and seasoned- $4.88

Raw chicken at the grocery store- $6.00
Old 01-24-2014, 01:02 AM

banjo&inky has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!banjo&inky has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!banjo&inky has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!banjo&inky has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!banjo&inky has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!banjo&inky has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I have been a member since they first came to the area in 1999. I usually cherry pick a few items but it does add up to great savings. I get the rotisserie chicken there a couple of times a month and they are huge, just as big as the ones Food Lion sells for $7.99. I get bottled water there, a 32 pack of Deer Park runs $4.88. We also get our tires there. Always a great price and have had them replace one for free while still under warranty that they were not able to patch after running over a big nail. You can shop around while waiting and they page you. Good prices on dvds, too. I also buy the packs of food service gloves there. 3 boxes of 500 gloves bundled together (total of 1500 gloves) was $9.98. I bought good stuff like merino wool socks and nice towels and wash cloths cheap too. We don't do the big shops like some do but we are there several times a month with small orders (usually having to wait in line behind someone stocking a store or getting enough stuff to go to the moon or on an arctic expediton with! LOL)
The Following User Says Thank You to banjo&inky For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2014, 05:48 AM

Franhope has posted more than 25 good deals
We have a membership (which was free from my husband's employer). I like some of the products but, I believe that I often pay less at the grocery store. I shop sales and use coupons (they double them at all major chains here). We have been going about every 6 weeks and look for sales. Key to shopping there is know what you pay elsewhere.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:11 AM

My Mood/Status:
leahmay has posted more than 25 good deals
I like Sam's Club. I would prefer BJ's Warehouse Club if you have one of those. They take coupons as Sam's nor Costco doesn't. Costco's gas is usually cheaper than BJ's, but I haven't got to the point that I want a Costco card. If you coupon a lot, see if you have a BJ's Club around you.
Old 01-24-2014, 07:06 AM

-chefad-wishlist.html#post5761895

My Mood/Status:
chefad2000 has posted more than 50 good deals
Sams

I like BJS better.They take coupons and have so far been better as far as customer service.Also they have their own travel services which is good for members.
Old 01-24-2014, 06:04 PM

HoneyPunk has posted more than 300 great deals!HoneyPunk has posted more than 300 great deals!HoneyPunk has posted more than 300 great deals!HoneyPunk has posted more than 300 great deals!
I like BJs. They are very friendly and stack coupons. I can use a single or double coupon on the multipacks. They have a lot that I buy. I can buy my produce at the farmer'a market right up the street if I want to make a second stop.
The Following User Says Thank You to HoneyPunk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-24-2014, 06:39 PM

is truly blessed!!

My Mood/Status:
preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!preciousgirl1120 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have had a Sam's membership for forever. I love shopping there. I don't like BJ's, their prices are higher than Sam's on some of the things I purchase. My husband likes getting his gas there also.
Go ahead......
Say something!
Old 01-24-2014, 08:28 PM

My Mood/Status:
keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
We just got a Costco membership at work today. Anyone know how their meat is?
Old 01-27-2014, 10:19 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!sav4dzn has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by keoughrn View Post
Between $10-20 bucks (bulk buy of course)
Fully Cooked Rotisserie Chickens are $4.99

We don't have access to a Sam's Club here. They tend to be a little cheaper, just slightly than Costco. They have close to the same items, though. Small differences.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Love Couponing and Helping Others? Join the Team of Forum Leaders Today!...Click Link Below...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by sav4dzn; 01-27-2014 at 10:22 PM.
Old 02-11-2014, 01:29 PM

Aaron's Mom

My Mood/Status:
Carravetta72 has posted more than 10 good deals
Quote:
Not sure about meat but Costco has a much larger selection of organic and gluten free foods compared to Sams. ( if you are into that sort of thing)
Old 02-13-2014, 09:29 AM

CoupLeBlanc has posted more than 10 good deals
I tend to agree. The "value" of the membership is really about using it smartly. I think that when wholesale clubs first gained wide popularity, you really couldn't beat the prices. I think this was mainly due to the way that the products were packaged. You were basically buying items that were packaged for commercial use (i.e. the perennial jokes about 5 gallons of mayo). However, over time as manufacturers caught on to this, they started packaging items that you would normally see in the grocery store in "multipacks" etc. The prices went up, but the wave of popularity, and peoples familiarity with the "normal" packaging, as well as the ability to not have a giant container of 5 different things made the price increases less impactful.

Other posters basically said the same thing. If you coupon, sometimes buying in bulk doesn't really save you money. It's all about "unit cost". With a smaller package, coupons have a deeper effect.

I will say that on stuff like meat and cheese, it can definitely be beneficial to shop there. However, you have to keep in mind that the "value" needs to exceed the $45/year in order to truly save you money.
Old 02-14-2014, 02:22 PM

tllrn1 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tllrn1 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tllrn1 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tllrn1 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tllrn1 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!tllrn1 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I agree with the "use it smartly" statement. We have one and use it for things you just can't coupon for in regular stores. I use it for bulk meat, such as $25 for a large pork loin. We slice it & freeze and can get 6-7 meals out of one. We do the same with beef roast and slice it & freeze for steaks. I also buy cheese, milk and most fruits & fresh veggies are cheaper based on the season. If I'm out of deals for formula they carry the biggest cans you can buy, usually under $30 each for the Good Start we use. I would say I use it as a grocery store not a stock up store.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:20 AM

victoria0284 has posted more than 200 great deals!victoria0284 has posted more than 200 great deals!victoria0284 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
The meat is great. I have never had an issues with it. The only problem is you get so much (I know its a wearhouse so bulk is expected). What I typically do is shop with my SIL or my mom and we split what we get.
Old 02-17-2014, 07:36 AM

victoria0284 has posted more than 200 great deals!victoria0284 has posted more than 200 great deals!victoria0284 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I do not have a Sam's membership I have Costco. I love my Costco but I have to say sometimes BJs have a larger selection of stuff I would buy but most of that stuff I can get better deals buying smaller quanties at my local grocery store. So I typically wait for the free three month membership deal and use that if BJs has something I think is worth buying.

For my Costco membership my husband and I have executive membership - it cost more but for what we do buy it works great because we get 2% cash back at end of year which typically pays for our membership fees plus some. Pluses we have the Costco AMEX card which also gives use cash back on all purchases 3% on Costco purchase. So I make out great but I really had to make sure I was going to get the best value out of mymembership.

So take your time check out the store and others like it then run some numbers only get if you come out better in long run.

PS. I am on vacation (yes cant miss checking out my Gav website) and am on ky Kindle. So I am sorry for spelling/typing/autocorrect issues.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:24 AM

terrisavemoney has posted more than 100 good deals!terrisavemoney has posted more than 100 good deals!
If you don't coupon for everything you buy, it should work for you. I used to take my friend and she did all of her shopping for the month in one trip(she only had to buy some milk and bread at other stores during the month). She loved it.
I on the other hand coupon for most of my stuff weekly and do much better price wise. I belong to Sams and Costco and there are some things there that you just cannot get cheaper by couponing. I go to Costco once a month and stock up, and Sams as needed every coupole of months. These are the things I buy because they are cheaper there
Rpmaine lettuse-5 packs
Fresh Spinach
Carrots
potatoes
apples
shredded cabbage-I make my own egg rolls and freeze
some breads and rolls
big sheet cakes for parties
huge box of oatmeal
anchovies
eggplant parm-frozen
huge bag of french fries
5 lb bags of cheeded cheese shredded-flatten out and freeze-$11.xx = 10 bags of cheese at grocery store(8 oz) one of the best deals, also in Mozz cheese
sliced American cheese- rewrap into smaller packs and freezr-much cheaper than grocery store
chips and junk food especially veggie straws-great buy
frozen mozz cheese sticks-huge box
we keep a box of disposble coffee cups and a box of lids(costs $30 but lasts the year) we can take with us instead of buying drinks. Kids take outside in the summer without bugs getting in.
large cans of tomtao sauce(128 oz for $2.xx)
large cans of veggies and jars of pickles.
Those are my basics that I always have on hand and am able to whip whatever together from them.
The oatmeal is really great for breakfast, cookies, and easy homemade granola.
HTH
The Following User Says Thank You to terrisavemoney For This Useful Post: