Overage Policy, Advise On Educating Cashier????

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2011, 07:51 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

stelena has posted more than 10 good deals
Help Sign Overage policy, advise on educating cashier????

I was wondering if any of you sweet ladies and gents could give me advice on how to approach this issue.
Today one of the cashiers informed me that it's depends on Walmart either to give overage or not. I tried to convince him otherwise telling him that there is a policy on the website and he proceeded to let me know that it was only for on-line purchases. I asked him in hopes he would understand the nonsense he is telling me, "So I can I use coupons on-line for overage?" And he told me, "Well, there are ways." ))) No apology, nothing.

I did ask him to educate himself on coupons since he had a issue with me two years ago about something. I told him I didn't want to sound rude but it's sad when I feel awkward going to the store and feeling like I am doing something wrong. He also said that they have been telling the same thing to other customers about coupons and their policy and it makes me sad that they misinform so many people.

As I said we left on a nice note but I want to make sure that he is educated since he is a head cashier, I think. So do I call a manager? I asked him to ask a manager who works during the day so he could clarify the issue.

His biggest concern seemed to be that I was getting a $1 overage and I had 4 like coupons. He was worried that they won't get reimbursed since they send receipts to the manufacturers for reimbursement and it shows that the product price was less. Is it true about the receipts? He also told me that I should call the manufacturer to clarify this.
So what would you do???????

My biggest interest is in educating this young man so others, including myself, don't feel inadequate when we are shopping in Walmart.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 11-17-2011, 08:32 PM

RE: Overage policy, advise on educating cashier????

My Mood/Status:
AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I would talk to the GM about it not a CSM. The policy says the overage can be applied to the other items in the cart, so I don't understand his depends on the wal-mart. I carry a copy of the policy with me. I would have asked him where it says for online purchases only.

Unless the coupon reimbursement changed since I have been in retail, the stores keep an inventory of the q's and they send them to the addresses on the q's for reimbursement. I have no clue what he is referring to with the receipts. Register journals are more for the stores book keeping and inventory purposes. (i.e. someone is short in their til, they can go back on the journal from that shift and see where the shortage was.)

The only q I know that Wal-mart is accepting on an individual store basis is the Tide $2/1. P&G has left it to each stores discretion as to whether or not they accept it on trial pouches as P&G does not manufacture them. Other than that, I have no idea.

Definitely call and ask for the General Manager, and hopefully he or she can help
Old 11-17-2011, 08:33 PM

My Mood/Status:
AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!AngBuck has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Double post

Last edited by AngBuck; 11-17-2011 at 10:17 PM.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:13 PM

Thank you so much for clarifying the receipts question. It looked like the person I talked to was standing his ground and just didn't want to admit he was wrong. I will call GM and ask to talk to the guy and explain to him again how coupons work.
Old 11-17-2011, 10:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
Your welcome Coupons are usually sent to clearing houses. He may have been worried that the overage would be on his journal tape they print at shift changes. He should have just asked a CSM.
Old 11-18-2011, 06:22 AM

xenapez has posted more than 150 good deals!xenapez has posted more than 150 good deals!
The store has to keep a record of coupons used and items to match sold, but the idea of actual "receipts" seems ubsurd. Any store can be audited for coupon misuse or fraud.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:27 AM

laurasokol1 has posted more than 50 good deals
walmart is honestly getting rediculous with coupons. I have been told so many different things, including from the Gm, that it is hard to desipher if they are just making up their own policies.
Old 11-18-2011, 08:10 AM

My Mood/Status:
scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
He is wrong... The policy is NOT for online purchases. The policy isn't even on Walmart.com. It's on the corporate site WalmartStores.com.

You should speak to a salaried manager so they can make him redo his training (if he has any to begin with).
Old 11-18-2011, 06:48 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by xenapez View Post
The store has to keep a record of coupons used and items to match sold, but the idea of actual "receipts" seems ubsurd. Any store can be audited for coupon misuse or fraud.
Exactly. My Dad is a GM and has been for 30+ years. When I worked at one of his stores in high school, they used a spreadsheet that was tallied daily of all the coupons used.

Journal tapes are used more for inventory purposes,sales records and in the case of a shortage in the til.
Old 11-20-2011, 05:23 AM

My Mood/Status:
mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
The easiest thing to do is call Corporate right then and there so that Corporate can clear things up before your CSM or Manager there is givrn a chance to say no as well..
Old 11-21-2011, 05:40 PM

Thank you for all the comments! I did call Walmart and talked to someone who told me she will make sure that cashier gets his training. I hope so since it didn't make to the store manager himself, but the lady seemed to be very nice and understanding. Keeping fingers crossed it happens.
Old 11-21-2011, 05:54 PM

qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I second the advice about carrying a copy of the coupon policy in your binder or coupon organizer into the store with you. Just in case you need to show the cashier that it's a corporate policy. Looks better to show a copy than to say "there is a policy".
Old 11-21-2011, 09:24 PM

himitsu has posted more than 200 great deals!himitsu has posted more than 200 great deals!himitsu has posted more than 200 great deals!
I spoke to an asst. manager today and he demonstrated for me - overage depends on the coupon. Some coupons say overage is allowed so they allow it. Some beep and give a message that the coupon value exceeds item price and must be lowered. Some of those actually prevents the transaction from going forward until a supervisor goes and adjusts the price.
Also, overage cannot be applied to tax anymore. At least not in South Florida.