Why Cashiers (probably) Hate Coupons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-12-2011, 07:49 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
RedStickGuy has posted more than 25 good deals
Walmart Why Cashiers (probably) hate coupons

I'm new to couponing....and these are the observations of a novice.

1) I read that cashiers @ WM are rated based on their checkout rate (among other metrics, obviously). So when there are coupons, the ones that are slow get slower and thus under more pressure. So they don't like it when there are people with coupons.
One way to help this situation is find a cashier who is fast at the checkout counter and accurate (don't want them skipping coupons stuck together)...but when you do find a fast one, please don't go around asking cashiers when they are working next...LOL

2) WM Managers are trying to beat coupon fraud. So they pressure on their cashiers to double check coupons. It is easy for communication to go wrong at this point and cashiers either misinterpret what management is trying to tell them, or the manager might not convey the corporate message properly to them. That results in hostile cashiers.....My advise, just take the items and go to another line...or abandon ship and go to another WM that day. There is no point in ruffling feathers and confronting cashiers and trying to educate them about their employer's coupon policy.

There might be a multitude of other reasons...I've never worked in retail...perhaps there are others who have and can throw some light on this issue...it will definitely help in discussing this.

ONLY MEANINGFUL CONTRIBUTIONS PLEASE!

Last edited by RedStickGuy; 06-12-2011 at 08:24 AM. Reason: correcting post
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RedStickGuy For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 06-12-2011, 12:17 PM

RE: Why Cashiers (probably) hate coupons

My Mood/Status:
josyjozy has posted more than 25 good deals
There is another post discussing items per minute or whatever the term is, so they can't really use that as an excuse. I worked at walmart a LONG time ago. All of the younger cashiers found it very easy to keep our items per minute up. We could just hit total if we saw we needed to stop for something (move a large item, put some bags in the cart) when you hit total, the time stops. I don't know if it still runs like this, but to me, it's not a convincing argument.

I count myself extremely fortune. So far I have had good luck with Walmart cashiers, but I have read many horror stories and I know that my day will come. I hope I handle myself as well as some of these other couponer's on here have.
The Following User Says Thank You to josyjozy For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2011, 04:42 PM

alynngil has posted more than 50 good deals
Walmart evaluates their cashiers every 3 months (if they remember) . The number doesn't really effect evals or raises too much. But, I was a cashier (a year ago) there and the timer does still stop when the total button is hit. They don't dock your items per minute number because of a customer searching for method of payment of scanning of coupons. I find it so odd that all of these cashiers are so hostile towards couponers when half of them are struggling financially (at least the ones I worked with) or young.
The Following User Says Thank You to alynngil For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 01:08 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
sweetheidi has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!sweetheidi has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!sweetheidi has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!sweetheidi has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!sweetheidi has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!sweetheidi has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!sweetheidi has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedStickGuy View Post
I'm new to couponing....and these are the observations of a novice.

1) I read that cashiers @ WM are rated based on their checkout rate (among other metrics, obviously). So when there are coupons, the ones that are slow get slower and thus under more pressure. So they don't like it when there are people with coupons.
One way to help this situation is find a cashier who is fast at the checkout counter and accurate (don't want them skipping coupons stuck together)...but when you do find a fast one, please don't go around asking cashiers when they are working next...LOL

2) WM Managers are trying to beat coupon fraud. So they pressure on their cashiers to double check coupons. It is easy for communication to go wrong at this point and cashiers either misinterpret what management is trying to tell them, or the manager might not convey the corporate message properly to them. That results in hostile cashiers.....My advise, just take the items and go to another line...or abandon ship and go to another WM that day. There is no point in ruffling feathers and confronting cashiers and trying to educate them about their employer's coupon policy.

There might be a multitude of other reasons...I've never worked in retail...perhaps there are others who have and can throw some light on this issue...it will definitely help in discussing this.

ONLY MEANINGFUL CONTRIBUTIONS PLEASE!
Yes I think this is totally true. A cashier I had the other day got upset at their csm because we literally stood there for 20 minutes and he was nowhere to be found. It turns out he was hanging out in the little cell phone store in front and ignoring his beeper thing...she was upset, my husband and I were livid and that guy was a totally douche! He walked away after she asked him to wait because she would need his key one more time, we ended up waiting another 5 minutes meanwhile people in line were getting mad! I asked if she could just void the transaction and if we could walk out but she said she needed him for that too...I should have called customer care and complained but we were in a rush, my dh was late for work.
I have started making sure I am 100% organized, I triple check my coupons and items. As they scan an item I set down the coupon for it on the little counter. When I 1st started couponing I used to have them scan the coupon that matches the item right after they scan the item, this ensures that they know I am using them properly AND it keeps me from missing out on a discount because they stick together or whatever.

Last edited by sweetheidi; 06-13-2011 at 01:11 AM.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:18 AM

My Mood/Status:
blakesmommy01 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!blakesmommy01 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!blakesmommy01 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!blakesmommy01 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!blakesmommy01 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!blakesmommy01 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!blakesmommy01 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
I was a cashier at Walmart & was still able to have a very high item per minute rate. They did away with giving you a little bonus for scanning back when I worked there, so I don't think thats what it is.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:03 AM

My Mood/Status:
I guess, then the question still remains...Why do some Walmart Cashiers absolutely detest couponers?

I underlined "some" because the last 2-3 visits, the cashiers were awesome! And I must say tolerant of my mistakes too. Yesterday, I got a BOGO Body wash coupon, with 2 different types of body washes from same company with different UPC code items...so it beeped...allowed me to sprint and get the right one...from 15 feet away! That was awesome of her.
Old 06-13-2011, 11:52 AM

My Mood/Status:
cathanas
I hate to say this but unfortunately I think some get mad because they are lazy. They see coupons as extra work for them because they have to take the extra time to check expiration dates, etc. They also may assume that the customer using the coupons is, for lack of a better term, "cheap". In turn they also assume that the customer is going to be a pain because they want to make sure all the coupons scan correctly. If that's how they see me when I shop then that's too bad for them because at the end of the day I have bought approximately $60 worth of items that my family of 5 uses every day for only $10 and that makes me feel great! Too bad for them that they have to do a little extra work. I have worked in retail for many years and I love when customers come with coupons because to me they are very smart, savvy shoppers who refuse to pay full price when they can get it for next to nothing.
Old 06-13-2011, 12:13 PM

jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Ok so I was an assistant manager for walmart over operations. And I will say this the cashiers item per hour is documented in a report however most managers only use that actual report to help evaluate the cashier on their annual eval. That being said Wal Mart has about 8 to 9 CSM (at least I did) then they have 1 head CSM. Wal Mart cashiers are under paid it's not a secret! They are paid on a scale 1 to 7. Cart pushers are a 1, ***! Z it thats beside the point! Cashiers are a level 3. Ok so what all this means is that the cashiers do have 1 direct salaried manager to answer to, and 10 Csms!!!! 10 different personalities 10 Indians wanting and acting as chief! I Am not justifying it I just know I've been there. I was very involved with my team, I was always on the front end and I was the first to get on a reg if there were long lines! It was the right thing to do. So in my store my front end had issues, but we really focused on doing better and working as a team. At walmart cashiers are supposed to take a break after working 2 hours lunch after 4 and another break after 6. Ok so say 2 people call in at 12 when we were supposed to send 2 people to lunch...... And now customers on their lunch have came in and we are getting backed up lines and can't send anyone anywhere, in fact when need department managers to come ring out customers now... So now the cashier only knows it's past their lunch time and the CSM on duty is "tripping" and just doing that "cause they don't like me" so it causes the cashier to act out on customers.. Now In no way am I justifying any of these cashiers because I have reprimanded many a cashier for less treatment then what I've heard here or dealt with myself! And as far as coupon reading, they are all interpreting the coupon to mean what they want it to say. And lastly I'd you get a rude cashier and they call over their manager who is also rude, then that's a CSM not a manager and continue to demand a salaried manager. The problem with Wal Mart is their people are Under paid! Don't blame my cashiers for calling in on New Years eve, I'm who would for $50??? Most of them are young and hard working and very very stressed taking their frustration out on the customer and until WalMart addresses that issue it will continue to have issues
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jessbme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 12:22 PM

jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
So all my words got auto corrected hope you got the point! Most of my cashiers complaints honestly were never ever in fact I can't think of 1 customer! All of the complaints from my cashiers were that my Csms are unfair And have an attitude And all the Csms had their favorite cashiers and said the others had an attitude! So all in all the employees of Wal mart are frustrated with their leaders and taking if on the people that pay their bills!! You will hear many managers reminding all associates that little important fact!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to jessbme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 05:23 PM

My Mood/Status:
Wow! Thanks a TON jessbme! That was quite the insight into how they operate...and tells me a LOT abt why cashiers are the way they are.
I don't think people are inherently lazy or anything like that. I think they are doing it because of circumstances. And now I see an example of the inner workings.....much is beginning to make sense.

Going by what you said, it seems like shopping @ a low traffic time would be best for a good experience.

What time of the day/week would that be?

Last edited by RedStickGuy; 06-13-2011 at 05:28 PM.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:31 PM

Honestly for me I have found in the Early mornings or even over night! I know it's hard for a lot of people to get out at those hours but personally at the store I shop at (which is not any of the stores I used to work at) I've found it best at those hours, however I do still go during "busy" hours I just prepare myself and already expect to speak to a manager.
Old 06-13-2011, 05:36 PM

My Mood/Status:
josyjozy has posted more than 25 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by jessbme View Post
So all my words got auto corrected hope you got the point! Most of my cashiers complaints honestly were never ever in fact I can't think of 1 customer! All of the complaints from my cashiers were that my Csms are unfair And have an attitude And all the Csms had their favorite cashiers and said the others had an attitude! So all in all the employees of Wal mart are frustrated with their leaders and taking if on the people that pay their bills!! You will hear many managers reminding all associates that little important fact!!!
It's been several years since I was a Wal Mart cashier and I completely forgot how many "bosses" there were. I remember one time this one young newly promoted CSM was giving out "pink slips" or warnings, to all the cashiers that drawers were more than a dollar wrong. so if your drawer was 1.01 short, you got a "warning". I got one, and I saw this GIANT list of names of all my friends names so as I walked back to my register I warned my friends. Oh man did that ever fire up that CSM. She came back and yelled at me. At the time I was 16 and was angry and upset that she yelled at me for watching out for my friends. Now, I'd laugh in her face for waving her "power" over me. But that's a side note. There are many bosses, and they all aren't paid very well, and there are many people who struggle to get some kind of power, no matter what it is. Not that this is an excuse.
Old 06-13-2011, 06:15 PM

Yes that is very true about the "power trip" some Csms get! Walmart has since changed from operator accountability to register accountability! Which means to save time and have more people on the floor helping customers they don't pull money after evey shift! Walmart has empowered their associates to "make a decision" for their selves! In theory it was supposed to free up management from running back and forth helping customers. Well the problem with that was they were making decisions just not the right ones! I would be doing I interviews when I would get calls about things they should have just taken care of them self! So I've noticed when I'm having issues myself and I demand a manager and a CSM walks up and starts "hassling" me that when I continue to demand a manger they just go a head and take care of me because A. They know I'm right and B. They know damn good and well when the manager comes up not only am I going to get my way (which is just the right way) but after I leave the manager is going to ask them why they had to stop doing what they were doing to do what they knew they should of done them self! It's very stressful for all associates at Walmart! Csms have to not only watch the front end they have to ensure all lunches and breaks are done on time according to state law, they have to worry about long lines, cash handling and ensure their podium is accurate, they have to deal with customer issues and they have to ensure that the parking lot is empty of carts! Thats a lot of pressure for them and most stores have 85 to 95 cashiers! They have to do scale, first interviews and they have to do 10 register audits a day! However it's the job they chose so that's why I always tell people if you have issues demand a manger and if they don't come in a timely manner pay for your stuff leave or leave your stuff and call the district manager! Every morning it is the store managers job to check emails from corporate about customer issues. Mainly it is the operation managers job because most issues are about the front end. Operations managers make 48,000. Starting out plus bonus and that's pretty good money until you factor the time and stress. They have alot to do! Schedules for 95 cashiers, Evals for 95 cashiers, cash office, loss prevention, hr, UPC, claims, serice desk, cart pushers over all about 2/3 of the store associates! And that is only the beginning! I could go on and on from hiring, dealing with customer and associate complaints! I worked 7 days a week at 24 years old I had more stress then anyone I knew! But I chose that job and I chose to make my team treat customers as just that customers! Alot of times the underlying issues are overlooked because of what all they have to do but it isn't right. Sorry i know that's a lot just brings back memories!
The Following User Says Thank You to jessbme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 06:18 PM

Oh and lastly from 5pm until 10 pm there are only 2 salaried members of management on duty and then the overnight come in and they first 2 leave, so I would say between 7 and 5 are best times to shop or on weekends there are usually 3 to 4!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to jessbme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 06:24 PM

And no it is not an excuse poor treatment anywhere is a direct reflection of your leadership ability thats why I took mine very seriously and would not allow any customer to be treated unfairly!
Old 06-13-2011, 06:31 PM

My Mood/Status:
cflannery has posted more than 10 good deals
I'm a WM cashier and I have to say I don't mind at all if someone comes through with coupons. Yes, it does slow me down a little but it literally is only a couple extra minutes. I also don't mind if people have separate transactions or price-ad matches. Maybe its because I'm younger? I really am just happy that someone is walking out of the store satisfied with their experience and with more money in their pocket because ultimately a good experience at WM means a return customer. That, and there are many times when the only WM employee they encounter is me so I want to be sure to represent the company well. I enjoy my job!

The only pet peeves I have are people with HUGE orders who use cloth bags during our rush times. Putting the bags on the spindle and filling them can be time consuming. The other pet peeve are people who don't take bags off the spindle as I fill them so i have to awkwardly wait for them to come get their bags.

But I <3 couponers