Returns On Items Paid For With Coupons?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2011, 02:23 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

Laurie_E has posted more than 300 great deals!Laurie_E has posted more than 300 great deals!Laurie_E has posted more than 300 great deals!Laurie_E has posted more than 300 great deals!
Returns on items paid for with coupons?

Does anyone know what Walmart's return policy is, on items which were paid for using coupons? Do you get back the full purchase price?

I bought ten bottles of Nivea body wash, which were free after coupon, and Walmart charged me sales tax in error. (In my state, sales tax is not charged on the portion of an item paid for with coupons. For example, if something costs $3, and you use a $1 coupon, you pay sales tax on $2. If the item is free after coupons, the customer pays no sales tax.)

I mean, it was only $2.40 in tax, but I wouldn't have paid 24c a bottle if I'd known, you know what I mean? I would have taken my qs to one of the five other stores where it's gonna be on sale next week, and where the registers compute tax properly according to our state laws.

So I was thinking of returning them, but is that going to be far more trouble than it's worth? Will they give me my cash back, or will they refuse, since I used coupons?
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 04-15-2011, 03:00 PM

RE: Returns on items paid for with coupons?

My Mood/Status:
mznita has posted more than 25 good deals
I would think it would be a lot of trouble and dont think you would get the corret money back. just my opinion. I was wondering the same thing though.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:02 PM

texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!texasdee has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
They should refund you the price of the item. They will redeem the coupons with the manufacturer. Unless you have more Q's, your not gonna have the body wash though.
The Following User Says Thank You to texasdee For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 03:19 PM

My Mood/Status:
4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!4my5kds has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
at my store it depends...if your total oop paid is less than the amount you are returning then they give you full value but they only give you store credit.
You are being charged sales tax because there is a loop hole in the law that says if the coupon does not "attach" to a particular item then retailers are allowed to charge full sales tax even after coupons. Walmart is one of the retailers that exercises this option, which allows them to charge full sales tax. I read this because a law suit was filed aginist them by a group of couponers and it ended up being dismissed due to the "loop hole"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Frugalista mom to:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DD(12),
DS(9),
DD(8), Twin Girls (7)
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to 4my5kds For This Useful Post:
Old 04-15-2011, 03:25 PM

Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Dannae7 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
You shouldn't have any problems returning them. I've exchanged and returned a few items before when the scents/flavors/colors were not right.
May be you can just explain the tax issue (bring appropriate state statutes) and get them to refund the tax? Idk, may work.
Old 04-15-2011, 03:36 PM

Laurie_E has posted more than 300 great deals!Laurie_E has posted more than 300 great deals!Laurie_E has posted more than 300 great deals!Laurie_E has posted more than 300 great deals!
Yeah, I did some more searching and found news articles related to last year's suit. I sure hope they're passing the state sales tax on to the state, and not keeping it as profit.

Personally, I think that's a pretty nonsense loophole. The code says that "if both the item and the coupon are described on the invoice or cash register tape," "store or manufacturer’s coupons shall establish a new purchase price." If "the coupon is not described or identified on the register tape [...] the acceptance of the coupon [...] does not establish a new purchase price."

Since both the coupon and the item are clearly described on the cash register tape by both name and UPC, I am not sure how they can get around the law. Walgreens does the same thing, and it's one of the (many) reasons that I won't shop there. Oh well, guess I'll chalk it up to a $2.40 mistake and do my coupon business elsewhere.

*makes grumbly noises*
Old 04-15-2011, 08:25 PM

Excited to get back to Couponing
MrsTorres21o

My Mood/Status:
MrsTorres21o has posted more than 150 good deals!MrsTorres21o has posted more than 150 good deals!
You get the full retail value back. I had this same issue a while back with the $3.00 BIC coupons. I had purchased 10 for 1.97 each and used 10 $3.00 coupons. The cashier at first refused to let me use my coupons cause I was buying Trial Sizes and then decided to let me use my coupons but she was going to mark them down to 1.97 discount each and I lost my overage. After completeing my purchased I felt that I got ripped off because I did not get the full $3.00 discount. I went to customer service with my 10 razors and reciept. The CSR stated that why would I want to return these if they were free. I told her how I felt and she said okay and proceded to give me a full retail value refund.