Walmart, Coupons And Sales Tax

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-06-2011, 11:32 AM
cheerful

My Mood/Status:
lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Walmart, Coupons and Sales Tax

Was wondering if Walmart has a tax after coupons policy or before Coupons. I didn't see anyting listed on their office coupon policy. I was at Walmart yesterday and found Wisk marked down at $4.97 a bottle and $3.00 off hangtags and I bought one, used the hang tags and it rang up $2.32 (35 cents tax) - which means in Pennsylania, they taxed me at 7% on the precoupon amount.

Incidentally, there are a lot of bottles with Hangtags in the West Mifflin (15122) one if anyone is interested. I don't take hangtags off anything I don't purchase but noticed that they were putting them on them. I assumed the manufacturer put those on and they were part of the product and have never removed them when not purchasing the product but after being taxed at the precoupon amount, I'm tempted to change my ethical guidelines I follow. ohhh.. so tempted..
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 01-06-2011, 12:30 PM

RE: Walmart, Coupons and Sales Tax

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

gt6mk31 has posted more than 50 good deals
I believe that varies by state but most of the time the sales tax is pre-coupon.

The exception could be a store coupon. A Target coupon will reduce the price of the item rather so you are then taxed on the post coupon amount.

Let's say there is a $1 Target coupon and a $1 Manufacturer's coupon for Hanes.

Hanes Item is $5
Target Coupon - $1
Subtotal is $4 -- you pay tax on this amount
$4 x 7% sales tax = $0.28
Manufacturer's Coupon - $1
subtotal is $3 + $0.28 = $3.28

And then there are always exceptions to the exceptions and weird things that we just don't know why they ring up that way. But, it generally follows pretty close to that.
Old 01-06-2011, 12:36 PM

My Mood/Status:
Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Gloriaob has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
You pay pre coupon taxes on the full price of the product

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My computer room is now a coupon room
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-06-2011, 05:59 PM

cheerful

My Mood/Status:
lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Well, In Pennsylvania - Riteaid - CVS - Target - Giant Eagle - and Shop n Save - have their registers programmed to account for coupons and charge me tax after coupons so they will be getting my business when the price is comparable to Walmart. I'm sure Walmart is techy savy enough to compute the coupons to match up with the item - it's clear they just want my money to pay their tax bill.

Last edited by lutherandj; 01-09-2011 at 07:40 PM. Reason: added shop n save
Old 01-06-2011, 06:11 PM

AFC Star Member

akbkm460 has posted more than 400 great deals!akbkm460 has posted more than 400 great deals!akbkm460 has posted more than 400 great deals!akbkm460 has posted more than 400 great deals!akbkm460 has posted more than 400 great deals!
I live in Maryland and I am always charged the tax for the amount of the product despite the coupon.. and if I am saving.. as much as I am.. I am happy to pay TAX ONLY..
Old 01-07-2011, 10:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Jacksonsmommy has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I live in Wisconsin and we always pay tax before coupons. If you look at the bottom of a coupon in the small print it usually states "customer is responsible for sales tax" or something to that effect as well. i guess the law varies state to state though.
Old 01-08-2011, 08:53 AM

cheerful

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacksonsmommy View Post
I live in Wisconsin and we always pay tax before coupons. If you look at the bottom of a coupon in the small print it usually states "customer is responsible for sales tax" or something to that effect as well. i guess the law varies state to state though.
Yes, but Pennsylvania law (and many state laws) states that the customer is charged sales tax on the ending taxable total minus the coupon if the company can match the coupon to the item. Pennsylvania law supersedes what is written on the coupon. The manufacturer has it there to protect themselves. It's clear that Walmart does not want to do comply with Pennsylvania law and is looking for loopholes to keep from complying. if I only bought one item, it's also clear to me that there was one item to match with one coupon. $2.00 x .07 (in PA) is $.14 not $.35. As far as I am concerned, that's stealing my money to pay their tax bill. I don't shop that much at Walmart unless it's cheaper there. Most of the time, since I started couponing, I find things cheaper at other stores but since I found the hangtag there on Wisk, I figured the Wisk was a good deal. I don't normally take hangtags off items and use at other stores but this has me thnking twice - but I'm going to stick with my convictions and not do that.

I know one thing though; anytime anyone has stolen anything from me; how large or small - the blessings from heaven don't fall on them. Walmart's loss, not mine.

Last edited by lutherandj; 01-08-2011 at 09:08 AM.