Europe! How And When Should I Get Euros

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-17-2014, 07:47 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
vital89 has posted more than 5 good deals
Europe! How and when should I get Euros

I have a great opportunity to go to France in a couple of weeks and just wondered if anyone has went and how you handled the money exchange. Did you do it in the US before you left? Or when you got there? Did you take cash, travelers cheques, or use credit?

I would prefer cash because I will keep better track of my spending but I have never traveled internationally! Any suggestions are appreciated!

Sent from my iPhone using AFullCup
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-17-2014, 08:24 PM

RE: Europe! How and when should I get Euros

:-)
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!TJ_2008 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Exchanging money overseas can get expensive so I'd say exchange it now with your bank.

Also, credit cards are not as common in Europe than here in the states. A lot of stores don't accept them and if they do they often have a minimum purchase requirement.

I usually use cash only. Have my bank cards with me just in case since I'm able to use the ATM overseas if I wanted to.

Have fun

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Do you want to become an AFC Forum Leader?

Openings and requirements can be found
!
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 PM

natuman has posted more than 75 good deals!
What a fun adventure! I travel quite a bit overseas for work. Here are some things i learned

- take money out of an atm when u get there. You will get a much better exchange rate. However, you need to make sure you call your bank ahead of time so they don't flag the transaction as suspicious
- if possible, get a chip and pin credit card. The USA system of magnetic swipe is very outdated and is quite a hassle in Europe to use.
- figure out which card has the lowest international transactionfees. You'd be surprised how different they all are.
- changing money is a horrible deal. Try to end your trip with nothing left.
- use an under the clothes money belt. Pickpockets are everywhere
- as the previous poster mentioned, there are many more cash only places than we are used to.
- you will have many more coins than you are used to with the 1 and 2 euro coins. Make sure you have a method to hold them all like a change purse or small baggie
Old 01-17-2014, 09:00 PM

Grounded for Life

Tradewinds has posted more than 200 great deals!Tradewinds has posted more than 200 great deals!Tradewinds has posted more than 200 great deals!
Airport exchanges are the worst, second worst are hotel exchanges. Banks there should have about the same exchange rate. Find out from your US bank how much they charge for a withdrawal overseas. Also you may want to let them know you will be travelling as they may block your account if they see an unusual activity.
When I travel i use cash and have a couple of credit cards. I use credit cards only to get cash from an ATM at a major bank, then pay with that cash for everything else.

Last edited by Tradewinds; 01-17-2014 at 09:04 PM.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:05 PM

Oh - and depending on where you are going and where you are from, things may seem crazy expensive compared to prices back here. Durable goods (like cloths) and food can be especially expensive. For example, in London it isn't abnormal to get pay $5+ for a plain cup of black coffee.
Old 01-17-2014, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tradewinds
Airport exchanges are the worst, second worst are hotel exchanges. Banks there should have about the same exchange rate. Find out from your US bank how much they charge for a withdrawal overseas. Also you may want to let them know you will be travelling as they may block your account if they see an unusual activity. When I travel i use cash and have a couple of credit cards. I use credit cards only to get cash from an ATM at a major bank, then pay with that cash for everything else.
I do the same
Old 01-25-2014, 05:41 PM

My Mood/Status:
Thank you all so much for the great suggestions! I am both nervous and excited and I will be sure to let my bank know I am traveling... I had not even thought of that! Thank you all again!
Old 01-25-2014, 06:10 PM

: )
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
as of Nov 2011, Discover dropped its foreign transaction fees so if you have one and the establishment accepts it, use that card. Take note that not all establishments accept Discover, they prefer Visa or Mastercard and afaik, the transaction fee is 1% plus add'l 2% that the bank issuing your card charges (this may vary so check with your bank if your CC is issued by one).

When shopping overseas, a merchant may ask you if you would like to convert your credit card transaction from the local currency into U.S. dollars. This is called Dynamic Currency Conversion (DCC), and merchants usually use a much higher conversion rates so you end up paying a lot more. Avoid this at all cost, it may also come up as an option in card terminals, just cancel transaction and ask for assistance on how to avoid DCC.

I bought some Euros and other Asian currencies from our local bank who did not charge me extra fees, just the current exchange rate plus their standard flat rate fees. This is a benefit for certain types of accounts and balances. I want to have the local currency at hand for taxi fares from the airport to hotel.

as others said, the airport, hotel and customer service of high end stores are the worst in terms of exchange rates so avoid them. In my experience, I asked locals the best place to exchange currencies and I get good rates.

Good luck and have fun!
Old 01-25-2014, 07:17 PM

My Mood/Status:
cjpuppy has posted more than 25 good deals
I just spent a few weeks over Christmas in Italy. I followed the advise of a few friends who travel frequently and it made it easy for me.

Like others have said, make your cc company aware of the fact you will be traveling to France (along with your depart. and return dates)

Call your cc companies for info on any fees associated with their cards use oversea's.

Take at least two cards with you, my sis had trouble one and it was a pain to call them to straighten out while traveling.

I went to my bank ahead of time to get a couple hundred dollars in Euro's before I left (this took a few days - the bank had to order the Euro's) just to feel 'covered'.

It was easier for me to charge what I could and when I ran out of my Euro's I went to a bank and used their ATM. In Italy (don't know about France) you must have a PIN number to use an ATM (this takes about a week to get).

Also like someone said try not to come home with any Euro's. The exchange rate is not in our favor - so you lose when you buy them and you will lose again when you come back and convert back to dollars.

Have fun. One more thing, I brought a converter to charge my cell phone with me. I did not want to bother to try and find one when I got there. Peace of mind thing.

Last edited by cjpuppy; 01-25-2014 at 07:20 PM.
Old 01-26-2014, 07:57 AM

My Mood/Status:
Yes ordering my converters today from Amazon and heading to the bank tomorrow to get Euros. I decided to get some here before I leave just so I have some.

Also taking everyone's advice and letting my bank know I'm leaving and make sure my cards will work once I get there!

I am heading to France then England!
Old 01-26-2014, 08:08 AM

: )
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
btw, letting the CC know where you're traveling is also applicable within the US (and Canada). It is best the CCC knows so the chances of your card getting rejected by merchants is less. I remember we were in Canada and it won't take 1st and 2nd card, I'm glad it took the third or it was so embarrassing

Have a safe trip and take lots of pics
Old 01-26-2014, 10:47 AM

ginetazeimiene has posted more than 10 good deals
I exchanged in the country that I live, and only took cash with me
Old 01-26-2014, 01:56 PM

buyitlow has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!buyitlow has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!buyitlow has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!buyitlow has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!buyitlow has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!buyitlow has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
My husband was in Greece for 3 months last year and paid cash for everything but the car rental. He went to bank ATMs for the best rate and lowest charges. Don't lose your toothbrush - DH had to pay about $6 for one in Greece. He's going again this year and I'm sending him with a suitcase full of (free to us) toothpaste, brushes, razors, etc.