Car Rental Rate Education

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2008, 10:18 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Car Rental rate education

Hi Everyone. I have worked in the car rental industry for almost 8 years. I am going to teach you all some things you need to know.

1. Know the dates and times you need the car... It is just like an airline or hotel reservation. When you pick it up and when you return it will effect your rates.

2. Don't be late most of us hold your reservation for 24 hours. Smaller locations only hold for up to an hour unless you call. Remember the smaller the city the less cars.

3. If you don't have to pick up from an airport location don't. Airports and city governments charge you the customers extra fews for picking up there. Car rental companies have fought these charges for years. But many times the "uncle sam" tax guy gets his share anyway. Some times taking a taxi to an off airport branch is cheaper. Other times we will lower the rates at the airport location to match the in city location to keep your business and make it easier for you to pick up the car also. You have to ask.

4. Remember that rates will be cheaper when you book sooner. M - F is normally more then the weekends. Most of the time picking up on Friday and returning on Monday (even if you only need it on Saturday) is cheaper. Also Holidays book way in advance. You can always cancel for no fee. Just make sure you know when you have to cancel by or there might be a fee.

5. Find out who and what you belong to that provides a discount.

6. If you work for a company or even a small business....talk to me. I can help you set up a free account. YES FREE. It will provide free rental days for your company for every rental your employees use.
Think about this Sea World and other companies give you a discount coupon to give to your employees. Have you ever thought about providing the BENEFIT of car rental services at a discounted price for your employees? It will not cost you a thing and make them more loyal because you are providing them one more thing on the benefit list.
It is a WIN WIN!

If you have questions let me know. I will type more later about other rental car topics.

Last edited by Willowlynn; 03-24-2008 at 08:40 PM. Reason: found a spelling error and need to add a sentence to make it better to understand
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to Willowlynn For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 02-02-2008, 04:22 PM

RE: Car Rental rate education

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Willowlynn has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
for the evening crew
Old 04-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Part 2 why the coverage isn't a rip off (first type of coverage Loss Damage Waiver)

Most companies offer three types of coverage (it is not insurance always ask what it is and ask to see it in print.)

The first being a product called Loss Damage Waiver or LDW as I refer to it.

Think of this as your comp/collision part of your car insurance. This covers the rental car.

Why is it good?
Most people do not realize that they are responsible for the FULL value of the car once they sign the contract. The damage could be done by collision, theft or vandalsim. Even an act of God. So now you have a car even at rock bottom we are talking $10,000. Do you have that kind of money if it is totaled? Does your insurance cover that much? Does your state allow the rental car company to continue charging you for each day the car is in the shop? Do you have loss of use coverage on your policy?

This coverage will vary by state price. It runs normally $15 - $35. Depending on where you are and the size of the car.

LDW relieves you of the responsiblity and provides you peace of mind

LDW eliminates "out of pocket" expenses
You don't pay your insurance deductible
You don't pay loss of use and continue renting the car.
You don't have to tell your insurance company unless you got a ticket.

LDW is not insurance and in fact prevents the involvement of your insurance company.

DID I mention PEACE OF MIND.

If you rent a car for a week and pay the high $35 a day for coverage that is only $245. While the average Deductible is $500.00.
Old 04-29-2008, 01:50 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Part 3 Liablility Insurance Supplement

This coverage is insurance bought through a 3rd party.

I will refer to it as LIS.

LIS is protection against 3rd party claims. The third party is the person you hit, the other car you hit, or a building....etc.

This normally includes:

Protection up to $1,000,000

Normally is primary insurance meaning that the rental car company picks up first. Then if the $1,000,000.00 your personal insurance would be tapped into.

Again NO Deductible.

There are other things that might be covered also depending on your state under this. Again check with the rental car counter.
Old 04-29-2008, 06:54 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
bump for night crew
Old 04-29-2008, 07:09 PM

AFC Star Member

dianescraps has posted more than 100 good deals!dianescraps has posted more than 100 good deals!
I don't rent often, maybe once every 5 years, but mentioning I work in insurance has always helped me!
Old 04-29-2008, 07:13 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
yes insurance reps do get discounts. So do travel agents.

And if you work for a large or small company have them sign up for a business account with a rental car company or all of them for that matter to get travel rates also.
Old 04-30-2008, 07:44 AM

John 1:9

My Mood/Status:
starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
That was VERY helpful info - I really appreciate you posting it.

We rent a lot! Budget and Alamo are the two we alternate between. The companies seem to add/drop etc. so much info all the time it can be quite confusing and difficult to catch up with.

If you have time, I'd like to know why they ask for the name of my car insurance policy if I opt out of their charges?

Also, is it true or not that when you use certain credit cards like Visa they often provide the added insurance coverage for car rentals? At least that is what I was led to believe!

Joshua 1:9

Old 04-30-2008, 07:52 AM

if you can't be an athlete
be an athletic supporter!!

My Mood/Status:
schatz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!schatz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!schatz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!schatz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!schatz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!schatz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!schatz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!schatz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!schatz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!schatz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!schatz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
AAA and some other things also have discounts for car rentals..
The Following User Says Thank You to schatz For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2008, 07:56 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Some states are primary meaning we don't need to know who your insurance company is because we are on the hook for state min. liablity. However other states are secondary meaning that you have to pay first then depening on the accident the rental car company might have to pay something.

I looked up FL and you fall under the secondary. Which means the rental car company has to have your insurance company on file incase of an accident meaning that if something happens to the car then you have to pay or your insurance company.

As for credit cards it is a gamble. First and formost you need to get it in writing. What they will and will not cover. How much will they cover. Is it just your deductible that they will pay you back? Then you still have a claim on your insurance policy. Does it cover out of state? Does it cover out of country.

I had a platinum AMEX customer who thought he had coverage but nothing in writing. He ended up paying for a totalled car. So just be careful.

My employees and my family take the coverage. (I drive a company car so I am not on a rental contract ever - I get a car anywhere in the world I go with gas included).
Old 04-30-2008, 07:57 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
yes AAA and other travel companies have discounts. But again ask for the local rate also. Sometimes the location has lower rates then the corp rates. Depends on supply and demand.
Old 04-30-2008, 08:55 AM

John 1:9

My Mood/Status:
starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!starbasset has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
TYVM!

We are 'members' of both Alamo & Budget which offers us slight discounts/upgrades, etc. I always reserve online at their web site which I have found offers the best rates.

Joshua 1:9

Last edited by starbasset; 04-30-2008 at 09:00 AM.
Old 04-30-2008, 10:36 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
3rd time of coverage Personal Insurnance Protection ( P & P)

This is the final type of coverage that I am going to address:

It normally has Personal Accident Insurance which covers accdiental death, accidental Medical Expenses not to exceed whatever amount is set in that state and Ambulance expenses not to exceed whatever amount is set in that state.

Normally it also provides benefits for loss or damage to most types of personal belongings up to a set limit that you need to check with at the time of rental.

Thus it insures your personal belongings and those of your immediate family members, who reside in your household and are traveling with you.

But again you need to ask questions at the time of making the reservation and again at the time of picking up the car. Become educated and know what is going to protect you and make the best money sense.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:13 PM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by starbasset View Post
Also, is it true or not that when you use certain credit cards like Visa they often provide the added insurance coverage for car rentals? At least that is what I was led to believe!
That only applies if you use a Gold Visa card. If you have a regular one then no it doesn't cover it.

As for paying for the insurances offered by rental car companies - check with your insurance agent first before you pay the rental companies high rates. More likely than not you are covered for the rental car including loss of revenue. So call your insurance agent and check the coverages on your policy first then call the rental agency to reserve a car.

In the OP's original post she listed about making reservations - that is very important if you are traveling during any holiday season - especially in Central Florida.
Old 04-30-2008, 01:19 PM

fished cutting coupons and is organizing them

My Mood/Status:
NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!NoahsMomma has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks for posting this, it's a really great post!
Old 04-30-2008, 04:06 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
It does not matter if it is gold, platinum (sp) or regular. I personally have cards of all types that do and do not have some type of travel coverage. However they vary and some like AMEX charges a fee each time you rent a car for the coverage. So you need to get it in writing.

And yes as I have said in every post educate yourself. Which does include asking your insurance agent what they think. A lot will tell you if it is less then X amount of days to get the rental car coverage because it is less then your ded and does not go on your policy if something happens.
Old 05-04-2008, 11:11 AM

LKBag has posted more than 1 good deal
Thank you very much! Excellent advise and information!
Old 05-04-2008, 02:02 PM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowlynn View Post
It does not matter if it is gold, platinum (sp) or regular. I personally have cards of all types that do and do not have some type of travel coverage. However they vary and some like AMEX charges a fee each time you rent a car for the coverage. So you need to get it in writing.
I know on my Visa Gold card it is covered without additional costs. If you are unsure of the "perks" on your particular credit card it would be best to check before hand. As for AMX I have a corporate gold card and we never get additional charges for rental coverage - I know this because I have to get the rental cars, hotels & flights for our out of town (and country) service calls.

Again like Willowlynn also posted - check with your card company - you never know what is really covered with those cards unless you get it from them and preferably in writing.
Old 10-29-2008, 08:08 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
With holidays right around the corner - figured this could use a good bump.
Old 12-12-2011, 10:51 AM

My Mood/Status:
1coupondawn has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!1coupondawn has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!1coupondawn has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!1coupondawn has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!1coupondawn has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!1coupondawn has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
We are set to pick up our rental next monday and I want to be prepared --should I be asking for the loss damage waiver, Liability and personal insurance --we made our reservations with a travel agent. The thing is we are traveling outside of our state from Wisconsin to South Carolina then to Florida. Any help would be appreciated. thanks

Tags
car, education, rate, rental