Target Debit Card--is It Worth It?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-23-2011, 08:28 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
rac1891 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!rac1891 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!rac1891 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!rac1891 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!rac1891 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!rac1891 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Target Debit Card--is it worth it?

Everytime I go into Target they tell me about saving 5% with their Debit card...they told me it comes straight out of your checking account and there are no fees. Is there a catch here? Does anyone have the debit card?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rac1891 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-23-2011, 08:39 AM

RE: Target Debit Card--is it worth it?

My Mood/Status:
angiegrim has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!angiegrim has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!angiegrim has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!angiegrim has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!angiegrim has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!angiegrim has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I have it, but honestly don't use it, unless I'm making a big purchase. It takes way too long to take money out of my account, and when I had to return something that was bought with the card it was a major pain because they couldn't find a record of me purchasing it so instead of getting the money back in my account they had to give me a gift card, which means that I had to spend it at target. I don't know, maybe it's just my target, perhaps you'll have better luck. I will just stick to not using it.

The measure of a good life is the accumulation of good memories!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to angiegrim For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 09:39 AM

97 Days Until Daytona 500!
Join the Welcome Wagon!

2015 YTD Savings: $3250
My Mood/Status:
DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!DebB831 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have the Target credit card, I don't like having other cards besides my bank debit card attached to my account. Something about having too many people being able to access my accounts makes me nervous. But I love the Target credit card. I pay off the balance each month and you can't beat saving 5% every time you check out at Target.
and to be considered for the Buddy and/or Welcome Wagon Team!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DebB831 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 09:47 AM

My Mood/Status:
mcelroys1993 has posted more than 25 good deals
I have one and love getting the extra 5% savings and not having a credit card bill. It does take a couple days to come out of your account or be credited back if you make a return. I'm willing to deal with that for the savings. I got mine in late Feb this year and I've saved about $17 so far. It's not a whole lot but I only shop at target once a month normally.

Last edited by mcelroys1993; 09-23-2011 at 09:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to mcelroys1993 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 09:56 AM

shops too much!
Be yourself!

My Mood/Status:
Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have one and love it! The only drawback is that they share your information so you need to remember to opt out of information sharing. If I recall correctly, the notification where you can opt out came either with the card or shortly thereafter.
Old 09-23-2011, 10:38 AM

Go Buckeyes!
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!carriemb2 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I love mine. The 5% is free money without the hassle/temptation of a credit card.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to carriemb2 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 11:25 AM

My Mood/Status:
sassykathyk has posted more than 25 good deals
I think it is worth it also. Easy to set up & worth the extra card in my wallet. If you are returning an item, you have the option of getiing cash back instead of waiting for the $$ to go back into your account.

When returning an item @ Target, using yur card to look up yur purchase is a back-up plan to not having yur receipt. It is not a perfect system so you should always keep yur receipts. I get pissy people having attitude with me cuz we cant find yur purchase doing a card look-up...no where in the return policy does it say bring yur receipt OR card.
The Following User Says Thank You to sassykathyk For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 11:43 AM

My Mood/Status:
rac1891 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!rac1891 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!rac1891 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!rac1891 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!rac1891 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!rac1891 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
So sassykathyk, you work at target? Oh the questions I am sure everyone is dying to ask you!! haha!
The Following User Says Thank You to rac1891 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 11:47 AM

My Mood/Status:
Josanne has posted more than 150 good deals!Josanne has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by carriemb2 View Post
I love mine. The 5% is free money without the hassle/temptation of a credit card.
This is me, too. It takes the "edge" off of having to pay full price for the things not on sale that you don't have coupons for. (Why, yes, I am that cheap!) Generally I don't like having companies having access to my account, either, but I made an exception for this one because I just spend too much dang money at Target to let it go.

Do note that the 5% is off of your purchase total after all the discounts, coupons, etc are taken off. Also that if you try to pay with your debit card and another form of payment, like a gift card, it will glitch up. When this happened to me I just when to c/s and they gave me the 5% I was owed in cash. Not bad!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Josanne For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 11:49 AM

mammalakn has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mammalakn has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mammalakn has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mammalakn has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mammalakn has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mammalakn has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mammalakn has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mammalakn has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mammalakn has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mammalakn has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mammalakn has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by DebB831 View Post
I have the Target credit card, I don't like having other cards besides my bank debit card attached to my account. Something about having too many people being able to access my accounts makes me nervous. But I love the Target credit card. I pay off the balance each month and you can't beat saving 5% every time you check out at Target.
Agreed. The only cards attached to my bank account are my bank issued cards. The credit card doesnt have any fees either and is a safer option (no access to your cash) provided you have good control over your spending habits
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mammalakn For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 11:50 AM

My Mood/Status:
Sounds pretty good to me...I always use my debit card anyway and if they are reliable to trust with the informtion...why not!
Old 09-23-2011, 01:55 PM

dmked has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dmked has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dmked has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dmked has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dmked has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dmked has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dmked has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I like it. The only thing I don't like about it is they process it like an e-check for every purchase so it doesn't come out of your account right away like a debit card purchase does. It takes 2-3 days for the money to come out.
The Following User Says Thank You to dmked For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 04:13 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
*Jackie* has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!*Jackie* has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!*Jackie* has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!*Jackie* has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!*Jackie* has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!*Jackie* has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!*Jackie* has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!*Jackie* has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!*Jackie* has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!*Jackie* has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!*Jackie* has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I don't mind that it takes 2-3 days to get out of my account - I should be keeping record of my spending anyways. I like the 5% off and I LOVE the no credit card thing I used to have a Target credit card and I got rid of it.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
My family of four: Jackie & Brian
, Kai
Parker
and Mollie
The Following User Says Thank You to *Jackie* For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 04:32 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!
Do you get the 5% back with either the Target debit or the Target credit card?
The Following User Says Thank You to coffeeclatch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 06:22 PM

My Mood/Status:
kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
coffeeclatch - it's 5% right off the total ... so if it's $10 total after your coupons, and you use your card, then it's $9.50...not a bad deal really.
The Following User Says Thank You to kittycatinkc For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 06:39 PM

Yep... there needs to be a PMS face! :)

My Mood/Status:
kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!kallagreen has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
i love the debit card!!!!!!!!!!! i save so much money! We also get all our prescriptions so for every five new or refills the send me a card for another 5% off!

(13 months apart) and just trying to enjoy life (my crazy life)

I actually did it for 11 1/2 months! I am more than thrilled. Now she is 1... it is very sad.
The Following User Says Thank You to kallagreen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 07:09 PM

My Mood/Status:
jane66 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jane66 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jane66 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jane66 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jane66 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jane66 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jane66 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jane66 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jane66 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I love it too! I think I got the 5% off on an itunes card today which I didnt even think about those being eligible.

I know some people are nervous about it attaching to their checking acct. I guess I see it as about the same as writing a check there - although with those, you are handing over even more personal info.

Agree with pp that I track it so the 2 to 3 days it takes to come out doesnt bother me. Maybe list the purchases like you would if you wrote checks.
The Following User Says Thank You to jane66 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 08:08 PM

patarno has posted more than 25 good deals
what's not to like about it??? It's like paying cash, but getting a discount for cash!!
The Following User Says Thank You to patarno For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2011, 11:44 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rac1891 View Post
So sassykathyk, you work at target? Oh the questions I am sure everyone is dying to ask you!! haha!
Ha ha....after reading this forum for the past year, I realize I dont really know much more that alot of you. I feel so bad that Target is not 'on the same page' as a company with all of its stores. Really bad communication & it sucks for the "guests".

And NO, I have NO IDEA how to get on the flippin' mailer for the Target coupons!! Darnit!!
Old 09-24-2011, 07:41 AM

My Mood/Status:
Hahahaha sassykathyk--- I used to work in retail too and I know how frustrating it can be working somewhere that isnt on the same page on a national level (and obviously I know how frustrating it is as a CUSTOMER too since I coupon ). Always having guests say "well, they let me do it at the other store!" or "they let me do it last time I was in here!"...and you are just trying to do your job the best way you know how. I know we all like to get mad at the cashier, I am guilty of that too, but it really comes down to management and higher up to set standards and teach their employees! I know at my previous job (not at Target, at another chain store though) we switched managers 3 times while I was there...and all three had different rules for our coupons (not mfrs cause we didnt accept those)...it is frustrating for the employees and customers alike!
The Following User Says Thank You to rac1891 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2011, 10:39 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!coffeeclatch has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by kittycatinkc View Post
coffeeclatch - it's 5% right off the total ... so if it's $10 total after your coupons, and you use your card, then it's $9.50...not a bad deal really.

Thanks for the info!
The Following User Says Thank You to coffeeclatch For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2011, 10:59 AM

DivyneSavings has posted more than 25 good deals
I'm a pharmacist for Target, and something that others haven't mentioned is that you do receive an additional 5% off coupon for every 5 prescriptions you fill at Target. You would be surprised how quickly the savings add up!!
The Following User Says Thank You to DivyneSavings For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2011, 11:08 AM

shops too much!
Be yourself!

My Mood/Status:
Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I can't help but wonder what the objection is to the lag between the transaction and your account being debited.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:19 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayline View Post
I can't help but wonder what the objection is to the lag between the transaction and your account being debited.
Right???? Once I spend the $$, I deduct from my account & that $$ is gone.
Old 09-24-2011, 02:26 PM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I would avoid a debit card since there is little protection of your checking account if someone gets ahold of that card. Call your bank and ask them what would happen if that card got lost and used by someone. Not good. I will take a credit card over a debit card any day of the week.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post: