How Far Will You Go To Buy An Item?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2014, 11:08 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Star How far will you go to buy an item?

Hi,

I would like to know, how far you ladies/gents would travel to get a good deal? How many times a week do you shop for deals?

Sometimes, there are deals in stores which are 7-10 miles away, I wonder if it is worth it to go there just to get that deal.

TIA

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Hadia For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2014, 11:58 PM

RE: How far will you go to buy an item?

My Mood/Status:
dmdspice has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dmdspice has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dmdspice has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dmdspice has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dmdspice has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dmdspice has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dmdspice has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dmdspice has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dmdspice has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dmdspice has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!dmdspice has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Interesting question???

Well, i live in Houston, Tx. It is a huge city!!! It gets bigger and bigger everyday!!! I have every store you could think of here. Soooo many coupons, soooo many stores, and not enough time!!! So, i pick and choose the best deals. I have tried to hit them all and almost went bonkers!!! That taught me a lesson!!! I cant possibly hit them all!
My priority trips are for FREE items with mqs. And, i always buy in quantity because the deals might be quarterly or every six months before you see that deal again or the mq comes out again. I shop accordingly. I buy enough to take me through to the next great deal hopefully. The trick in couponing is to buy it when its on sale with an mq, or at its rock bottom price with an mq. You buy before you need it because if you dont, i have generally found that it will be full retail price and no mq.
I am a medical courier. I drive 200 miles a day. I go half way around this city 5 days a week. I shop at many different stores and locations throughout Houston. For one reason, inventory can be very sparce at cvs or wags. Sometimes, you have to stop at 2 or 3 different locations to get what you are looking for. Houston is a heavy couponing city!!! Its hard to find a cvs in this city that doesnt have a handful of stockpile couponers. By that, i mean, they clear shelves. It is first come, first serve. I have hunted many times for deals at various stores. That is extremely common in couponing. For example, cvs had a deal last week for neutrogena bar soaps. Buy 3 get $10 ecbs. Well, i found 1 bar of soap out of 8 stores i checked. Yes, i was frustrated. Saturday, i went to cvs to do a makeup trip and found 2 bars. I about passed out!!! I grabbed them up like hotcakes!! I was able to finish the deal. But, what a booger it was to find just 3 bars of soap for heavens sake!!! Thats one of the difficulties with couponing. And, i go through the same thing with wags too. Couponing requires work, effort, and boundless energy!!! It is very rewarding though. You take the good with the bad.
I shop 4 or 5 times a week. I hit cvs twice a week, wags 3 times a week, walmart twice a week, and dollartree twice a week. And occassionally target for great deals. I shop alot!!! Its a fulltime job in itself, and i work. Couponing keeps me very busy!!! You gotta hunt down the products. We will tell you what the best deals are on each forum which is extremely helpful. And, what coupons are available. The rest is up to me. I get out of it what i put into it. And, i put alotof time into couponing. Its totally worth it!!! So glad i found a full cup!!!! Hth
Happy couponing!!!!!
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to dmdspice For This Useful Post:
Old 05-11-2014, 07:40 AM

My Mood/Status:
Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Hadia has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Thank you dmdspice.

I was thinking also that with free stuff and low price items which I would need anyways, I could be more flexible as to driving a distance. I can't really spend on anything else, as DH is the only one earning and even that is not enough for family of 6. So any free/low cost item is welcomed here and yes since I have joined AFC I have gotten a small drawer slowly filling up with some free stuff

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Hadia For This Useful Post:
Old 05-12-2014, 12:05 PM

It's S-U-M-M-E-R!

My Mood/Status:
ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ReuschHome has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
My regular shopping trips involve 15 miles one way. But, we don't have time to deal shop everyday. I may go 2x a week and if the deal is out, I ask for a raincheck or go to Walmart to price match. We still do grocery runs for milk, produce, and bread, which we go through every week.

We shop for 7 people here [on one income] and space is limited. We also have medical conditions and dietary restrictions which means we are brand loyal. We focus on 3 stores: 1) grocery; 2) SuperCenter; 3)drugstore.

Once a month or every other month, we travel about 45 miles one way and do a mega shopping trip across 10-12 stores. That trip involves shopping for items not found here locally and would cost more than the gas to be shipped/mailed to the house. And most of those stores let me do site to store shipping and pickup.
!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ReuschHome For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 10:54 AM

Stocking Up & Reducing Debt

My Mood/Status:
StockUpAvid has posted more than 50 good deals
We have most of the main stores in a 5 mile distance of each other: Wal-Mart, Dollar Tree, Dollar General, Rite Aid, CVS and Food Lion. I would go up to 30 miles. We also have Kroger, but it's on the other side of town so I plan out two shopping trips a week to conserve fuel. One on the North side and one on the south. I make a big circle when I shop.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to StockUpAvid For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 01:35 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
It's not really a choice. I live in Lubbock. If you look at a map the next town of reasonable size is a minimum 2 hour drive. I won't even go past the center of town for the most part. You can get from end to end in under 20 minutes.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 02:32 PM

I try to be the person my dog thinks I am.
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Small town here. CVS, Walgreen's, Food Lion, Dollar Tree and Harris-Teeter are all in a 10 mile radius. Luckily, Harris Teeter doubles coupons every day which make them my main grocery store. I pass most stores on the way to and from work.

Married 26 years

Doggy mom to Abby

"Once you stop learning, you start dying"

Albert Einstein
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lms28023 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2016, 02:55 PM

My Mood/Status:
lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lyn96 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm also in a small town one stop light and one grocery store. 15 miles away is Safeway,Haggens(which is closing) Saars( don't shop there known druggie area) 1 rite aid 1 Walgreens,1 Walmart h*11 has to freeze over before I shop there. Military Exchange and Commissary. If I want anything else I need to travel at least an hour for the first stop. When school is in session I take my DD to school 3-4 days a week and I shop then. When not in session I go on 2 days one being Thurs to get the mil discount at Walgreens. I have to say I have a huge stockpile but it took a long time to get here. I always bring my binders with me just in case of a surprise sale or clearance. Given the distance I drive it just makes sense for me.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lyn96 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 12:20 AM

NikkitaBanana has posted more than 75 good deals!
I am on the North side of Chicago. I don't have a car, which makes things a bit more difficult to carry. CVS is within walking distance (about 10 minutes) and I have a free public transportation card with my college tuition. I usually shop exclusively at CVS since it's the closest. If there is a good deal at Walgreens, I will make the trip on the train a bit further on Sundays or wait until I am on my way back from school or my internship if my CVS doesn't have the items. Sometimes I can convince my roommate to drive me to CVS if I have heavy stuff (like the 6 cases of soda I purchased today). Target is doable too if there is enough of a good deal. Walmart is too far, but I could make arrangements to get there if I needed something that bad.

I wish there was a RiteAid in Chicago. When I lived in NY, I found that they had some of the best deals. I also had a car and did a loop between 3-4 CVSs, 1-2 Walgreens, a Rite Aid and a Stop & Shop.

If a deal was good enough, I would travel about 5-10 miles (or 45-60 Chicago minutes) to go and get it. I usually make a weekly Saturday trip to Dollar Tree to pick up some $1 newspapers for the inserts. It takes me about 25 minutes in travel time round trip. I have yet to use coupons there, but I plan on using the QlearQuil coupons next Saturday when I pick up papers.

For grocery, I use Peapod about once every two weeks. It so much easier to get food from the grocery store and up 2 flights of stairs when someone else does it. . There is a $6.95 delivery fee (plus tip) on an order of $100+ but I try to offset it with peapod coupons/promotions. Peapod also doubles up to 99 cents, so that helps too.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to NikkitaBanana For This Useful Post:
Old 02-08-2016, 07:41 PM

buyitlow has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!buyitlow has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!buyitlow has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!buyitlow has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!buyitlow has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!buyitlow has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I'm in a suburb north of Dallas and am fortunate that there are stores on just about every corner. Just driving to work I can pass by Target, Krogers, Tom Thumb, Walmart, CVS or Walgreens without going out of my way. I also can walk to a Krogers and Walgreens from home. But I try to get only the best deals on what I really need or if it's free. When I first started following AFC I overbought on shampoo, toothpaste, etc., and still have a substantial supply. So now I really limit myself. I typically hit Target and Krogers once a week and maybe CVS or Wags depending on the deals.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to buyitlow For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2016, 08:02 PM

My Mood/Status:
bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!bookwormpeg has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I live in a large city.....there is a CVS & Walgreens on every corner....Walmart one every five miles....large groceries stores all over and Target every ten miles....so, I don't have to go far to get the bargins....problem is there are a zillion extreme couponers in the city....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bookwormpeg For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2016, 03:21 AM

AshleyL has posted more than 25 good deals
Not a regular couponer, but I usually handle some coupons, and if I pass a store I can get a deal on, I pass through. Usually Walmart or CVS.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AshleyL For This Useful Post:
Old 02-17-2016, 06:32 AM

qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
With the price of gas being so low, I don't mind driving a little bit. I do, however, plan my trips for when I will be passing that store on the way to church or whatever. My daughter has youth group right near a good Harris Teeter where I can kill time and fill my tank with cheap gas. We live on the border of NC/SC where gas is .30 cheaper in SC so I stock up on the SC side whenever possible. I used to do the drugstores but have lost interest recently and only focus on Harris Teeter. We've all been sick and I haven't felt like grocery shopping so it's just been a matter of 4.99 subs from HT, or papajohns pizza or the other day got a rotisserie chicken and head of lettuce from Walmart and we had salad for dinner. This creepin crud that is going around is miserable. 5 out of 6 of us have it in our house. Not sure how daughter avoided it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qrazy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-26-2016, 05:40 AM

My Mood/Status:
messijessi77 has posted more than 200 great deals!messijessi77 has posted more than 200 great deals!messijessi77 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I live in a rural small town- local grocery stores/pharmacies. I travel about 45 minutes once a week and plan accordingly.I have access there to walmart, wags, freds, DG, Aldi and local grocery stores. If I can't find what deal I was wanting- just have to pass it up. Kinda stinks, but wouldn't trade my small town life for all the free junk in the world. I am not an extreme couponer- just love saving all I can!
The Following User Says Thank You to messijessi77 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-17-2017, 08:34 PM

teatime0714 has posted more than 25 good deals
I'm lucky and have a few different store options all within 15 minutes of my house. Based on that I'll only drive further if it's really worth it - usually only to save on sales tax in New Hampshire for large purchases. I love my savings, but my time is worth something too!
The Following User Says Thank You to teatime0714 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 04:02 PM

sparkywhite17 has posted more than 10 good deals
I have driven 45 min to get to the store because it was the best deals and the savings was well worth my time and gas to get there. I have also planned trips around traveling. I was living in NC and the closest Harris Teeter was 45 minutes away or in Wilmington. I only traveled that far during Super Double or Triple events. Then we moved to Norfolk, Va and they had just built a 2 Harris Teeters close to my house. One was in a rebuilt part of the city and the other was behind a Kroger and across the street from a Farm Fresh. There were many weeks were my shopping consisted of Walgreens, Kroger, Harris Teeter and Food Lion.
Now I am in Oklahoma. I am walking distance to WinCo, a neighborhood Walmart and Walgreens. 10min max to what we call the big Crest. Our regular Walmart is about 10min in the other directions. I am not sure if there are a lot of coupons in the area that I am in because the shelves are not cleared on a weekly basis at Walgreens. I guess I am kinda lucky in that regard.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to sparkywhite17 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2018, 04:22 PM

teatime0714 has posted more than 25 good deals
Yeah I would say you are lucky in that regard!

When I moved from a working class city to a middle/upper-middle class suburb I found a huge difference with couponing. The cashiers in my new area generally need guidance when scanning some coupons (especially Free ones!), whereas in my old city they were all old hats because almost every customer used them.

Definitely an impact on the shelves as well! I still get good value coupons in my new town, but it doesn't seem like many people are actual "couponers". On occasion someone will use a coupon or 2, but people don't seem to match them with sales or anything. I'm always surprised when I don't have to contend with cleared shelves when I find a real good coupon/sale matchup.
Old 03-03-2020, 11:58 PM

An Awesome Dude

Dude111 has posted more than 1 good deal
If its something I really want and love I usually goto extremes to get it!! (Most people dont bother but stuff IS IMPORTANT TO ME so I dont give up easily)