What Freezes Well?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-18-2011, 04:02 PM

RE: What Freezes Well?

listening to the music of the spheres
Buddhist Bon Vivant Pataphysicist!

My Mood/Status:
siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Plums! We have a plum tree and I just can't use them up fast enough, so I cut them in quarters (without the seed) and put them in a freezer bag with some sugar and cinnamon, lay them flat to freeze, and I'm ready to use them in shakes, oatmeal, crisps, or whatever.

Cilantro or Parsley. When you don't use the whole bunch, put it into a bowl and snip, snip, snip with scissors until it's as small as you want. Put one tablespoon of this into each section of a regular sized ice cube tray and fill with water. When frozen, pop them out into a freezer bag to store...or just put a freezer bag around the whole ice cube tray.

Yeast! I've had a jar of yeast last up to a year in the freezer.

Grated orange (or lemon, or lime) peel for baking. I don't actually grate it; I'm too lazy. I just let my orange peel dry out on a paper towel till it's crispy, and then run it through my little coffee grinder till it's like I want it. Then, I put it into a little plastic container and freeze for when I need it.

Birdseed. Oatmeal and flour products aren't the only thing that get mealworms!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 12-03-2011, 06:08 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Kimberly007

2014 YTD Savings: $939.12
My Mood/Status:
kimberly007 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kimberly007 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kimberly007 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kimberly007 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kimberly007 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!kimberly007 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
OMG thank you so much for this thread. My DH is actually (finally) considering getting a freezer for the garage. A small chest freezer is all we have room for, but we need the extra freezer space. This thread was actually the catalyst for that decision. The fact that we can freeze bacon and have it in hand more often really peaked his interest. Thanks.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife to DH, Mommy to DD (5) and one cat.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimberly007 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2011, 08:15 AM

Deneise

My Mood/Status:
deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Funny how bacon can always get a man's attention!
Old 01-25-2012, 02:46 AM

Spring Break in 3 days!

My Mood/Status:
khoyfish has posted more than 200 great deals!khoyfish has posted more than 200 great deals!khoyfish has posted more than 200 great deals!
Like previous posters, I freeze bread, milk, soup, pancakes, waffles, rolls, dough, cookies, eggs, bacon, shredded cheese, etc. I love making large batches of things to save time later, such as the following:

rice: I cook a huge batch in the rice cooker or oven. Once cooled, I put it in freezer bags. Defrost or thaw in the fridge; heat in the microwave or on the stove.(Fried rice works great too.)

Minced/chopped garlic: mix it with enough olive oil or whatever oil you use most until easily stirred(but not soupy). Place in ice cube trays used only for this and freeze. When ready to use, pop them out (or put under warm running water). One cube is about 1 TB. You can let it thaw before using, but I actually toss it into the pan the way it is. This has been a wonderful time saver.

Nuts: I portion them out and put them in ziploc bags. Then I thaw them on the counter or in the fridge before toasting them.

Leftover Parmesan rinds: ziplock bag. I save them for adding depth and flavor to soups.

Herbs: my rosemary and thyme plants produce more than I can cook with or give away, so I snip long sprigs, wrap them whole (strip the rosemary) in plastic wrap, and then place them in ziplock bags. Thaw in the fridge or on the counter before using, or toss them into soups or whatever you're making.

Yogurt: I mix a huge batch (4 lbs at a time) of plain yogurt and honey for my kids. Once it freezes, I scrape it for them and add fresh or frozen berries to it. The kids love it and call it "icy yogurt."

Whole, peeled russet potatoes: I freeze them whole and/or chopped depending on the dish I'm making. I just put them in ziplock bags and toss them in the freezer. They're great for soups, especially when I'm making pho.

Unfortunately, I tried to flash freeze chopped broccoli (which my toddler loves and calls "baby trees"), and I put them into ziplock bags. However, when I cooked it, it wasn't the same--the flavor and texture was way off. If anyone has tips, I'd appreciate them.

Oh, and something funny we put in the freezer, even though they don't freeze: vodka and gin. Though I personally don't like these strong ones (give me Malibu and aloe juice any day), my other family members love this chilling method; plus, it saves space.

Last edited by khoyfish; 01-25-2012 at 11:41 AM.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to khoyfish For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 04:23 AM

How much will you save this year?

My Mood/Status:
Ronica447 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Ronica447 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Ronica447 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Ronica447 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Ronica447 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Ronica447 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Ronica447 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Ronica447 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
The Following User Says Thank You to Ronica447 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 04:44 AM

My Mood/Status:
buggsmom316 has posted more than 200 great deals!buggsmom316 has posted more than 200 great deals!buggsmom316 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Think is such a great thread.
I have a questions can I freeze my sons formula? ? Its so much easier to have permafrost bottles sometime and I use to freeze my milk when he nursed so is forums the same
Old 01-25-2012, 04:49 AM

My Mood/Status:
roush9799 has posted more than 50 good deals
I tried freezing the GoGurts, now my 2 year old only likes them right out of the freezer.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to roush9799 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 05:04 AM

Happily married!!! :-)

My Mood/Status:
shadust1 has posted more than 150 good deals!shadust1 has posted more than 150 good deals!
frozen go-gurts r really good frozen...dont let ur 2 yr old tell u...try it yourself...yummy!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by roush9799 View Post
I tried freezing the GoGurts, now my 2 year old only likes them right out of the freezer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to shadust1 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 06:12 AM

My Mood/Status:
kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kittycatinkc has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I often freeze the big bags of fresh spinach. Once frozen i just smash it up and take what I need for my dish Im cooking. Never had a problem.

Sent from my LS670 using AFullCup
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to kittycatinkc For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2012, 10:53 AM

My Mood/Status:
liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Has anyone tried freezing sour cream chip dip? I can get it for .24 a piece during Kroger's mega sale and was wondering if it would freeze well?
Always looking for JCPenny $10/$10 coupons.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to liibyz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2012, 11:10 AM

Deneise

My Mood/Status:
deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by liibyz View Post
Has anyone tried freezing sour cream chip dip? I can get it for .24 a piece during Kroger's mega sale and was wondering if it would freeze well?
I haven't but I wouldn't hesitate to try it.
Old 01-29-2012, 11:12 AM

eddie

My Mood/Status:
deboe696989 has posted more than 100 good deals!deboe696989 has posted more than 100 good deals!
i heard water freezes well...but never tried it yet
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to deboe696989 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2012, 11:18 AM

My Mood/Status:
Til has posted more than 25 good deals
Has anyone tried freezing sour cream? Just wondering. TIA!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Til For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM

GOONIES!
When it rains, it pours...

My Mood/Status:
Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Soft cheeses and milk products like sour cream, goat cheese, cream cheese don't freeze well IMO.
(7), DS
(4), an 11yo
and a 6yo

Totally OCD. Luckily my DH is building me new stockpile shelves so I can more easily rearrange and reorganize my goodies!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Z and G's Mom For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 AM

Stamping the day away!
Changing this 'cause King made fun of me!

My Mood/Status:
rhondag508 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!rhondag508 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!rhondag508 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!rhondag508 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!rhondag508 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!rhondag508 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!rhondag508 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!rhondag508 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!rhondag508 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!rhondag508 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!rhondag508 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I had to freeze the Philly cooking creme in self defense last summer. It is okay that it separates a little because you often stir it into meat products. It looks the same after you use it in a recipe as it did when it hadn't been frozen.

But yes, I agree, sour cream and cream cheese have a real consistency problem that might make a fluffy dessert for example, fail.
Old 02-01-2012, 12:28 AM

Spring Break in 3 days!

My Mood/Status:
khoyfish has posted more than 200 great deals!khoyfish has posted more than 200 great deals!khoyfish has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til View Post
I have. I buy the huge tubs and place 1 or 2 cup portions in freezer containers. I agree that the consistency isn't great after thawing (if you want it for dips or topping various foods), but I like to defrost it just enough for it to slip out of the container and throw it in the crockpot when I'm making bean or tortilla soup. It tastes good and I don't have to worry about putting it in during the last hour.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khoyfish For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2012, 12:30 AM

Spring Break in 3 days!

My Mood/Status:
Question: can I freeze POM juice? Our family loves this and I want to put this in our chest freezer.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to khoyfish For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2012, 07:55 PM

DantheQponMan has posted more than 10 good deals
freezing coffee is not a good thing. in fact its one of the worst things you can do for coffee besides put it in the fridge. You want to put coffee in an air tight container and in a dark spot.

Pom juice should be fine I've frozen it before but not the entire bottle I break it down since I don't drink the entire thing and used it in smoothies no problem
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DantheQponMan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2012, 07:59 PM

Deneise

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DantheQponMan View Post
freezing coffee is not a good thing. in fact its one of the worst things you can do for coffee besides put it in the fridge. You want to put coffee in an air tight container and in a dark spot.

Pom juice should be fine I've frozen it before but not the entire bottle I break it down since I don't drink the entire thing and used it in smoothies no problem
Never heard that about freezing coffee before. I've always heard that freezing was best to keep it fresh. Now i guess I gotta google it. Lol
Old 02-15-2012, 08:23 PM

DantheQponMan has posted more than 10 good deals
don't worry I thought the same thing for as long as I can remember even my parents did it. I actually found out its bad when I got interested in ordering coffee beans in bulk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DantheQponMan For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2012, 09:25 PM

My Mood/Status:
AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!AmandaDavenport has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by khoyfish View Post
when I'm making pho.

Alittle off topic here, but do you have any recipes you can PM me? I have been trying to find a good recipe for Pho as my and my son LOVE it, but can't always make it to our fav Pho rest. before it closes.
and 2
and 2
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AmandaDavenport For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2012, 11:13 PM

My Mood/Status:
poisongirl6485 has posted more than 50 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Til View Post
I am learning the hard way on this one. I stocked up on sour cream when I got them for like 60 cents...when it thaws, it's watery and separates. I'm hoping I can still use it when cooking to add to the sauced etc, but you can't use it on baked potatoes or anything. Sucks because I have 4 or 5 containers frozen that I'm not sure if I will even use.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to poisongirl6485 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 02:25 PM

GOONIES!

My Mood/Status:
Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
ASPARAGUS! Meijer has it on sale for $.99lb this week and last, so I bought up 6.5lbs of it, blanched it for 2 minutes in boiling water, ice bathed it, dried it in the fridge and put it in freezer bags in amounts that my family could eat as a side dish. I've read online that it freezes well so I'm REALLY hoping it does!!
(7), DS
(4), an 11yo
and a 6yo

Totally OCD. Luckily my DH is building me new stockpile shelves so I can more easily rearrange and reorganize my goodies!
The Following User Says Thank You to Z and G's Mom For This Useful Post:
Old 02-16-2012, 08:10 PM

My Mood/Status:
MommaBee79 has posted more than 100 good deals!MommaBee79 has posted more than 100 good deals!
Regular yogurts (yolait kind) freeze well and my kids love love love them as a frozen treat. Just give it a minute to thaw and start chipping at it with a spoon. My son even has special frozen yogurt mittens he wears to keep his hands warm because he eats it this way so often.

Milk - Pop it out of freezer into a sink full of hot water and let sit. Drain and repeat when water cools. The milk will thaw on the outside first and leave a nice ice strip in the middle. It keeps the milk cold while your thawing. We do this when we forget to take it out the night before and need it NOW! I have never never never had a milk go bad or taste/look weird HOWEVER I only buy fat free and so I don't have fat seperation or discoloration to worry about.

lunch meat comes out exactly the same as it went in just will a little extra juice (even the food saver doesn't stop that)

blueberries. Just pop them in the freezer and eat. some kids I know will only eat them this way.

I freeze my coffee-mate (again fat free) all the time with no change to taste.

I have read you can freeze cake batter just fine as well and the cake its self.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MommaBee79 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 07:45 AM

GOONIES!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z and G's Mom View Post
ASPARAGUS! Meijer has it on sale for $.99lb this week and last, so I bought up 6.5lbs of it, blanched it for 2 minutes in boiling water, ice bathed it, dried it in the fridge and put it in freezer bags in amounts that my family could eat as a side dish. I've read online that it freezes well so I'm REALLY hoping it does!!
Sooo... the asparagus froze really well but it was a bit mushy. I stuck it in just a bit of water and heated it for about 2-3 minutes. Next time I will try just putting it in a skillet without water to heat it through.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MommaBee79 View Post
Regular yogurts (yolait kind) freeze well and my kids love love love them as a frozen treat. Just give it a minute to thaw and start chipping at it with a spoon. My son even has special frozen yogurt mittens he wears to keep his hands warm because he eats it this way so often.
TOOOO cute!
(7), DS
(4), an 11yo
and a 6yo

The Following User Says Thank You to Z and G's Mom For This Useful Post: