Selling My Whole Stockpile?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2011, 07:46 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
sydbristowwannab has posted more than 200 great deals!sydbristowwannab has posted more than 200 great deals!sydbristowwannab has posted more than 200 great deals!
Selling my whole stockpile?

So...I've hit a rough financial period with my student loans going into repayment and losing hours at work due to having to take care of my relatively new baby girl.

I've decided to have a garage sale to try to pay off at least one loan and clear out my home of anything I don't need. I've also decided to sell my entire stockpile (I kept 1 of everything) in hopes of making some decent money so I can reach my goal. I only have about two cupboard full of stuff because I never bought with the intention to sell but I think I can make around $500 or so (if everything sold!!)

My question is...how do I respond to questions about my items. I'm SURE I will hear "Oh, are you one of those hoarders like that coupon show?" (HATE that show...grumble, grumble.) Anyway, I don't know what to say...I don't necessarily want to tell people I got the stuff with coupons because I'm nervous that someone will try to tell me I shouldn't be selling things I got for free or near to free. Any advice?
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sydbristowwannab For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 06-11-2011, 11:15 PM

RE: Selling my whole stockpile?

Paying off debt this year
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
gumballma has posted more than 200 great deals!gumballma has posted more than 200 great deals!gumballma has posted more than 200 great deals!
First off: never be ashamed to be a couponer!

Secondly: if people ask, just tell them that you buy for multiple people or that yes you are a stockpiler. There's no shame in buying things for free or nearly free because everyone COULD do it and they just choose not to. They will be benefitting off you and will be getting it cheaper than store prices too so who are they to complain.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to gumballma For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2011, 01:11 AM

Shopping Til I'm Dropping!

My Mood/Status:
thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!thriftyCAmom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbristowwannab View Post
So...I've hit a rough financial period with my student loans going into repayment and losing hours at work due to having to take care of my relatively new baby girl.

I've decided to have a garage sale to try to pay off at least one loan and clear out my home of anything I don't need. I've also decided to sell my entire stockpile (I kept 1 of everything) in hopes of making some decent money so I can reach my goal. I only have about two cupboard full of stuff because I never bought with the intention to sell but I think I can make around $500 or so (if everything sold!!)

My question is...how do I respond to questions about my items. I'm SURE I will hear "Oh, are you one of those hoarders like that coupon show?" (HATE that show...grumble, grumble.) Anyway, I don't know what to say...I don't necessarily want to tell people I got the stuff with coupons because I'm nervous that someone will try to tell me I shouldn't be selling things I got for free or near to free. Any advice?

Hi there....

I am in your same exact boat my dear! I am expecting my child soon and need all this stuff including more space. So for the past 3 weekends I have been intending on doing a garage sale, keep putting it off.

But I have been really worried that questions will come up. With the whole coupon fraud thing out there, My most scariest thought is someone reporting me of coupon fraud. It's obvious when I have 8 of this, or 10 of that....etc. I even have unused makeup (wrong color, mom never wanted it) from CVS with those store stickers on them "If bought at an outlet, please call..." And if someone calls???? I know, just peel them off. LOL, I know I am jumping ahead, but you never know. Any thoughts?

And of course, I never had the intention of selling either. If anything, I guess I can continue to donate, but would like some kind of cash to get me through.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thriftyCAmom For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2011, 02:45 AM

My Mood/Status:
arkaneinc has posted more than 100 good deals!arkaneinc has posted more than 100 good deals!
don't be ashamed. You could always tell people that you sell things at the swap meets . Seriously though good luck to you. Any extra money is always a plus
The Following User Says Thank You to arkaneinc For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2011, 03:05 AM

My Mood/Status:
Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Coupid has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
First if you were a hoarder you would NOT be willing to get rid of your stuff. Hoarding is a mental thing and you would not part with your stuff in any way if you were a hoarder. THere's a huge difference between getting stuff you will use and save money on it AND keeping anything just to say you have it. A hoarder would never share their stockpile with anyone else.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Coupid For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2011, 04:13 AM

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be...
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I would think that what people REALLY want to know is..."Is this stuff safe for me to use?" or "Did you buy this stuff yourself, at a store?"...OR "Did you get it from some random place that I wouldn't feel comfortable with?" OR "Is there anything wrong with this stuff?"

With that in mind, I would probably say something like "I bought it for myself, to stock up...and now I need more space because of the baby, so I'm selling it." It's really not necessary for you to say how you paid for it (coupons or whatever).

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by BlueMoon187; 06-12-2011 at 04:16 AM.
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to BlueMoon187 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2011, 04:31 AM

My Mood/Status:
durremp has posted more than 400 great deals!durremp has posted more than 400 great deals!durremp has posted more than 400 great deals!durremp has posted more than 400 great deals!durremp has posted more than 400 great deals!
I just had my 2nd garage sale with stockpile items and this is the way to make fast cash.The only question I get all the time is "will you teach me how to do this" I say have your sale and be proud to tell them you coupon.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Please check out my ISO list, lets make a trade pm me please.
Thanks-Mary
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to durremp For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2011, 05:39 AM

My Mood/Status:
Kimmergal has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kimmergal has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kimmergal has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kimmergal has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kimmergal has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kimmergal has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kimmergal has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Kimmergal has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I too sell my extra at a garage sales and just tell people when it's a good deal I buy multiples and use coupons. They don't need to know you got it free or almost free.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kimmergal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2011, 05:56 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
re:

Quote:
Originally Posted by gumballma View Post
First off: never be ashamed to be a couponer!

Secondly: if people ask, just tell them that you buy for multiple people or that yes you are a stockpiler. There's no shame in buying things for free or nearly free because everyone COULD do it and they just choose not to. They will be benefitting off you and will be getting it cheaper than store prices too so who are they to complain.
Fubu
and Stealth
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to babymk For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2011, 02:20 PM

My Mood/Status:
sydbristowwannab has posted more than 200 great deals!sydbristowwannab has posted more than 200 great deals!sydbristowwannab has posted more than 200 great deals!
Thanks to everyone! I needed to hear that...now off to finish pricing. : P
The Following User Says Thank You to sydbristowwannab For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 08:40 AM

My Mood/Status:
CLKingsley has posted more than 200 great deals!CLKingsley has posted more than 200 great deals!CLKingsley has posted more than 200 great deals!
If you are really uncomfortable with people seeing everything at once you could always post a list of items on Craigslist and try to sell some of it that way. It will probably be more work though because you will be meeting with people at different times instead of having everyone come at once. Just another idea.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CLKingsley For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 09:15 AM

LOVE AFC!!!

My Mood/Status:
Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Good luck on your sale. Things I have heard from others on this site who have sold itemss at a garage sale is:

*people thought they were a shoplifter and they are trying to unload hot merchandise;

*people priced their items too high and they didn't sell;

*people who think because you get something for free or nearly free, you should be nearly giving away the items (dirt cheap);

*there are some couponers who might get overtly hostile because they may think you are a "shelf clearer" and then you are selling itmes for a profit that they wanted to get but couldn't because the shelves were cleared.

Now with the new EC show, it opens a whole new dimension to selling at a garage sale. First, you don't OWE anyone an explanation, but you can certainly tell them the truth that you try to keep one of everything you buy on your shelf but now you need the room (just be prepared for openly hostile people).
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Losingitagain For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 09:44 AM

DawnMarie

My Mood/Status:
thaprecious1x has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!thaprecious1x has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!thaprecious1x has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!thaprecious1x has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!thaprecious1x has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!thaprecious1x has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
my suggestion would be to say something like others already stated. i stocked up cheap but i really need the money. they can check exp dates on things. if they wonder about it they wont buy it but fellow couponers or someone who shops deals will understand.

Dont be embarassed. if they have somethign bad to say, you dont have to say anything. its your garage sale. and youre not buying it to resell for more in your own store. you need money so the stuff has to go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to thaprecious1x For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2011, 09:53 AM

My Mood/Status:
SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SD19565 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Just a side thought ... if you want to have garage sales consistently with your stockpile, you might want to do a "mailing list" for folks that stop by and purchase. You can email them (or if you want to call them) when you are going to do another garage sale. You would be surprised at how many people will say yes.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SD19565 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2011, 02:25 PM

Wincity Coupon Chick

Krobinson0079 has posted more than 5 good deals
There is no shame in being a stockpiler! I am currently working on mine! Starting with razors, seems like that is were the good deals are at in my hometown!
The Following User Says Thank You to Krobinson0079 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2011, 07:08 AM

Blissful

Pegelfamily has posted more than 5 good deals
One thing I can say about our current economy is that most people are far mor open about financial difficulty and hardship these days. If anyone gives you grief I would have no shame in saying that things are a little tight and your trying to pay down your debt. THAT is something to be proud of.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Pegelfamily For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2011, 09:35 PM

heidiprado has posted more than 5 good deals
I am a newbie and I am so grateful I ran into a true expert in the trade of couponing for a living. She is so nice and is teaching me how to do this right and most of all how to behave. This expert has been couponing for 15 years. She buys and then sells at a local flea mart. The stores love her and order in huge amount of items for her to purchase with her coupons. So if it's coupon fraud it's seams strange to me that she would be able to do this public-ally for so long. So I say take care of your family. Your yard sale will help the people that need to save on these products but don't have the time or skill to coupon. The store wins because you will buy more from the store than you would have. The manufacturer wins because you will in effect be "giving" their product to several potential new households that otherwise would not have purchased their product... because as we all know most of the items we get with these deals are the higher priced items most people can't afford to pay for. Thus a coupon that would have gone in the trash was placed in your expert hands and the savings was then passed on to a new customer. You just became a sales person for the manufacturer's specific product. What manufacturer wouldn't benefit from that? All I see is a win win win. In fact stashing 50 razors in a garage seams more wrong than passing on the savings to your neighbors does? Newbie logic... give me time. I am so going to become an expert some day. I am hook line and sinker addicted to couponing. Viva knowledge. Thank you to the expert who are willing to share and train.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to heidiprado For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2011, 09:48 PM

aekeel has posted more than 5 good deals
Did you have your garage sale yet? Just wondering how everything went for you?
The Following User Says Thank You to aekeel For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2011, 09:50 PM

My Mood/Status:
Mustang-Steph has posted more than 25 good deals
Just do what you need to do and do not worry about what others think. Everyone goes through a difficult time in their life financially and you should not feel ashamed about anything. You did all the work to cut the coupons and find the deals and now you are making deals for someone else and if they are buying from you, then they are looking for a deal and shouldn't have anything negative to say. Best of Luck!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mustang-Steph For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 07:25 AM

LOVE AFC!!!

My Mood/Status:
Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Losingitagain has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
How did your garage sale go? Were you pleased and would you do it again? Any comments from shoppers you wish to share?
The Following User Says Thank You to Losingitagain For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 02:45 PM

Goonies never say die...

My Mood/Status:
lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!lisbell has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by sydbristowwannab View Post

I don't mean to butt into your business or anything but if you are looking to get out of debt and take control of your finances, look into Dave Ramsey's program. We did it! It has changed our lives and I'm still trying to get used to the feeling of not having to worry about where rent's coming from etc. His 7 baby steps are the way to go. If you have any questions I'd be happy to answer them! Good luck!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to lisbell For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 08:34 PM

nickson82 has posted more than 10 good deals
This is sounds like a great opportunity! I have never thought of couponing in this light. I have a new baby girl (almost 3 months). My first child. I've been married for 3 years. I have worked hard since I was 15 to earn money. I graduated from college being a career minded woman, but with the birth of my child my views have changed. Once my unemployment runs out, there is no way that my family can survive on my husband's salary. That is why I started couponing. But lately I have been thinking that I was doing the wrong thing. Why do I have 30 razors, even though I paid $1 for them I have been feeling like I have been wasteful. I've been feeling like instead of trying to build my stockpile I should be saving every last penny I can.

My Uncle comes over to see my daughter often and I always show off my stockpile to him. He is a very business minded individual and he is always telling me that I need to open up shop and I think to myself "yeah right, how in the world could I resell this stuff." I am sooooo happy I stumbled across this post. The idea of a garage sale is perfect! Thank you ladies! You are all so knowledgable. This site has truly changed my life!

And I say who cares what people think about us couponers! They are just jealous!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nickson82 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2011, 09:06 PM

My Mood/Status:
trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!trishmom2five has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
If you haven't had the garage sale yet, just put out 1 or 2 of each item until it sells. no one will ask if there is only 1 or 2 at a time. Just looks like you got a good deal and now need $. Plus, most people wouldn't ask anyway. As long as they get a good deal, people in general, don't care.
The Following User Says Thank You to trishmom2five For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2011, 12:23 PM

My Mood/Status:
Tanith1365 has posted more than 300 great deals!Tanith1365 has posted more than 300 great deals!Tanith1365 has posted more than 300 great deals!Tanith1365 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Lol I am actually having my 2nd garage sale this summer with my stockpile right now.... I have made $560 two weeks ago and am already up to $235 today!!!!! There is nothing wrong with telling people you coupon, and that you share the deals with others through your sale, with the economy the way it is.... People understand and like the fact that you are "sharing".... I have told so many people about AFC!!!!! They are just amazed and I have Never ran into any one rude... I have however run into people in cvs.... And they say. " so this is how you do it???" I enjoy showing people how to save!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tanith1365 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-15-2011, 12:42 PM

Newbie Here but Not There!

My Mood/Status:
bhickman1 has posted more than 400 great deals!bhickman1 has posted more than 400 great deals!bhickman1 has posted more than 400 great deals!bhickman1 has posted more than 400 great deals!bhickman1 has posted more than 400 great deals!
Mind if I ask what your prices are for things? Out of pure curiosity, what will people PAY for OUR free stuff? Lol for example a box of ronzoni pasta, jar of sauce, box of cereal, proglide razor, tube of toothpaste, body wash, ect?

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bhickman1 For This Useful Post: