Anyone On Here With A Child That Has Sensory Processing Disorder??

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-20-2012, 09:07 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Climb the stairs of life and never look back.....

My Mood/Status:
marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Anyone on here with a child that has Sensory Processing Disorder??

I am curious if anyone on here has a child with Sensory Processing Disorder?? I'd just like to know I am not the only one, I do not know anyone with a child that has it to talk to. I'd like to know if you are finding OT helpful and if you see improvement from your child. For so long I felt like I had failed or did something wrong, I'd just like to know if anyone else has some experiences they can share or talk about.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." Clive James
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Wife to Tony
and mom of DS 7 yrs
and 2 yr old DS
"If the TRUTH makes you uncomfortable, you may want to ask yourself why this is so?"
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-20-2012, 09:14 PM

RE: Anyone on here with a child that has Sensory Processing Disorder??

gperry1979 has posted more than 10 good deals
Please do not blame yourself! As a parent a development delayed child I can understand your pain. My son has been special programming since he was 18 months. He has had several types of therapy since then. He is now 7yrs old and no things are not perfect but they are considerably better. He has come along way With patience, time and guidance your little one will come along too. If you ever want to chat please don't hesitate sending me a PM

Gina
Old 02-20-2012, 09:35 PM

My Mood/Status:
marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thank you for responding. I am trying now to understand more about this, I found out what he had and it was like a lightening bolt, it all made sense, I always suspected something years ago but our Dr. said it was normal, I thought he might be just clumsy with OCD or had ADD. Now we know and has been a couple of months, with the help from his school we know now what to do and expect from this. I still think my husband has a hard time understanding exactly what to expect from him. But now I have to explain to family what this is, and why he is the way he is, I am protective of him b/c I feel he has been through the wringer.

I was wondering how anyone else tells family so that they understand? I am not ashamed at all, it is the comments they make. They need to understand, he will gag if you push food on him, he does need a cup with a straw, or it will spill, yes he is clumsy but he is trying, no he won't walk barefoot even to the pool and he has meltdowns, he is not lazy he gets overwhelmed, I do not spoil him and there are reasons for him being the way he is. The comments have built over the years, and maybe it is me, but I don't need it working on his self esteem, he has been through enough. I don't want to come off as *itchy but I bite my tongue, b/c I don't think they get it. IDK, I guess it will take time my family seems to understand and handle it better. I'd just like to know there are other parents out there, and how they handle the things that come up with family or even spouse when it comes to this.

Wife to Tony
and mom of DS 7 yrs
and 2 yr old DS
"If the TRUTH makes you uncomfortable, you may want to ask yourself why this is so?"
Old 02-20-2012, 11:22 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I wish I had answers, unfortunately family members are often the worst when it comes to our kids! My mom insisted my son was deaf, smashing pots behind him and he didn't even flinch. He has no startle reflex, he has autism and when he's in his own world no one else exists. When he finally started talking she decided he wasn't autistic bc her neighbors son is autistic and is non-verbal. I just say uh-huh and change the subject.

I've been accused of spoiling, coddling, you name it. Food was the worst. The temperature, color, and consistency all had to be just right or he's not eating it. The good news is he's 17 now and much of that is behind us. He still has issues but deals much better.

You know what is best for your child, don't let anyone sway you.

ISO: Cascade, Tide, Dawn, Caress bar soap, Pepsi, Stouffers, Libby's veg, Finish rinse, Lenders, Gortons fish, Viva, Sprayway
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 07:43 AM

andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!andrea044027 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
My niece has sensory issues. She has been to physical therapy and occupational therapy and they have helped tremendously. She has to have things "just right" or she is prone to meltdowns. She also obsesses over things - lately it's been the time of day. She keeps asking what time it is.
If someone is around her for a short amount of time, they wont notice anything different. Those of us around her quite a bit do notice the differences.
She is in first grade and goes to a tutor as needed as well. Overall she is doing great.
She is a sweet girl and a joy to be around.
The Following User Says Thank You to andrea044027 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-21-2012, 09:35 PM

My Mood/Status:
I guess it is also seeing him, people are see a happy normal boy. To me he is beautiful, sweet, loving, and so smart. This is also what others see when they meet my son. I worry these expectations are too much also, is that crazy, not to expect the best from your child?? Is it right to push, when you clearly see him frustrated or ready to have a meltdown? I have to remind my husband sometimes with homework, that he is pushing to hard, to back off. Now I do it mostly with him, not that I have more patience, but I can handle it better, I can back off. I know how to make it seem like I am not as frustrated as my son. It makes me cry sometimes when I worry about this, I worry as he gets older if this will hang over his head or will he be just fine. My husband pushes somtimes, he must not want to see, or he can't. My son has been saying he is sorry alot, I tell him he only has to say he is sorry when he does something wrong. He hasn't done alot wrong, so why is he feeling the need to say I am sorry all the time? My husband expects too much, and I am getting so aggravated and *issed at him, he needs to get a clue, he was there with me when it was explained, he was at the meetings too. I just can't believe I am so frustrated with my own husband and some family members, when I feel like they should be our support.
I guess not alot of people know about Sensory Processing Disorder, I know I didn't but now that I do I guess I just want to talk to other parents more and more to find out how they are coping and if therapy and OT is working for their child.

Wife to Tony
and mom of DS 7 yrs
and 2 yr old DS
Old 02-23-2012, 12:43 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
My husband and my son are only just now developing a good relationship. It took DH a long time to realize he had to accept our son on our son's terms, not based on the expectations he has.

Despite that I am still pretty much the only one who can say no to DS and not trigger a meltdown. Basically I couch it in a yes, which can be challenging!

Shoe shopping was horrible, and this kid outgrew his shoes every six months! once he found a style he loved, we bought them in the next 5 sizes .

After early intervention he never got professional help. It's been me flying by the seat of my pants LOL.

When he was little pt/OT was a great help, but I think beyond age 5 or so he would not have benefitted. Its been all about coping skills.

ISO: Cascade, Tide, Dawn, Caress bar soap, Pepsi, Stouffers, Libby's veg, Finish rinse, Lenders, Gortons fish, Viva, Sprayway
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 01:06 AM

Lift while you climb

My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
When you got the eval done, assuming it was by a team that had a physician, a physical or occupational therapist, maybe a speech therapist, and a psychologist, did they give you a comprehensive report? And/or some handouts that explains what he has from the perspective of the different disciplines?

If you got some handouts or can find some online that go along with what the evaluators described to you, it might be helpful to take those and sit down with your family and go over them. Just like with an illness or disease, having a name for a group of symptoms or behaviors that make up a syndrome can be so helpful. You might get some resistance from some family members, but I'd bet it will make sense to most of them and they'll be on board with whatever suggestions the evaluators made. They love your child and want him to have the most pleasant life too.

DELTA region for Kroger stores

Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?

The Following User Says Thank You to tratra For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2012, 10:52 PM

My Mood/Status:
missshannen has posted more than 75 good deals!
Up until a year and a half ago I was a lead preschool teacher and had several students pass through my class who had SPD.
On the way to work one day we had a car accident and I was left with a brain injury. One of my deficits is SPD. Here's what I have learned...no matter what take earplugs and/or noise canceling headphones. Sunglasses are a must so have several pairs.
Wind is the enemy and rain just adds to it. The ocean is no longer relaxing it is loud,and it moves.It also reflects light and you must walk through sand ugh! Crowds are especially difficult and grocery stores can be compared to Hell.
I commend each and every parent for your love and support of your children.
By the way.... The only people who understand are your caretakers and sometimes they don't even realize that there is a problem.
The Following User Says Thank You to missshannen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2012, 06:39 PM

My Mood/Status:
mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
dd is 7 yrs old and has apraxia of speech, ADD, dyspraxia and sensory modulation disorder. she had about 9 months of ot which seems to be the only one with answers for me. she makes noise to stimulate her vestibular system like jumping off her dresser onto the hardwood floor, she has lack of feeling on the back of tounge so she sucked her fingers, she lines her toys up for visual stimulation. she loved to touch lotion, soap anything and everything that could be smeared. dd was opposite of most kids with spd. most kids are sensitive to touch from others, sand or noise bothers them and they cover her ears. kids with spd are either over responsive or under responsive and dd was under responsive and does these things to stimulate her own nervous system. meltdowns are her middle name though they have got alot better with age. ot also said something about dd not knowing where she was in space without her feet on the ground. as a baby she would not tilt her head back even an inch to wash her hair she was getting showers at a yr old i had no clue why but a shower was the only way to wash her hair. at 5yrs old she would cling to me for dear life in a pool but had no problem running into the ocean full speed ahead and would go out deep to her neck. i had a sitter who was a college student studying to be a special needs teacher who took her to the pool every sat and one week she went to the beach instead and could not believe the difference.

Old 04-29-2012, 07:23 PM

qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
We think our 2nd daughter (now 10 yrs old) had some sensory issues when she was younger. She had some OCD behaviors (counting, etc) and anger that was hard to come out of. Her brain is also very random. None of this has been diagnosed. Just things my husband and I observe and read up on.

Several things have helped with my daughter. I found a website called celebratecalm and subscribed to his weekly newsletter. He writes for kids that are "different". I highly recommend it. And I bought the cds. My daughter was so glad to listen to them with me and realize someone understood her. We also attended one of his seminars when he came to our city.

We homeschool, which has really helped her. I cringe to think what her life would be like if she was in public school. But the biggest benefit has been learning to play music. It has helped organize her brain. She plays piano and harp and sings in a really good choir. Not only having things she is good at, but learning to read music and play music has helped her brain organize itself.

Also, when she was about 5 or 6 I remember brainstorming with her to help her come up with coping mechanisms. We made a list of what calmed her. Here is what I can remember that she came up with:
taking a bath
listening to Andrea Boccelli cd
riding her bike

Also, I recommend getting one of those balls that you sit on and bounce around. When it was too cold to go outside, I would let the girls ride those around the house. Gave them good stimulation.

All this is my non-professional opinions. I had to change how I interact with her as I was constantly nagging her about things. I work hard to be more positive with her.

Hope this helps.

Last edited by qrazy; 05-01-2012 at 04:27 AM.
Old 04-30-2012, 09:12 PM

coupon crazy!

My Mood/Status:
omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
When I saw this original post, I looked into this out of curiosity & realized that my husband fits a LOT of this criteria, it definitely would explain a lot & it made a lot of things clearer to him too when I told him about it. We're thinking about looking into this, should we talk to his regular physician or his Neuro?

Baby #1: EDD 08.25.14
Awaiting the arrival of:
Penelope Starr
Old 05-01-2012, 03:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
i would ask his neuro, we don't have a childrens neuro in my small town so her regular physician gave a referal to a devlopmental doc and she gave a referal to OT and they gave the dx. dd went to speech at school starting at 3 yrs old and teacher told me she had a behavioral problem and b/c she was intelligent it was just behavioral. she couldn't even say her own name due to a neurogical speech disorder so i knew something else was wrong, school gave a bunch of test and the vision test showed something freaky. with a piece of paper in front of one eye and asked what she saw the open eye sat still and the eye behind the paper was moving all over trying to see around the paper. the OT was certified to give the dyspraxia test which most are not and she also discovered the sensory issues as well. last year she passed that part of eye exam at eye doc so OT must of helped, OT also helped her to write as she could not even color.

Old 05-01-2012, 03:55 AM

kj_quilts has posted more than 200 great deals!kj_quilts has posted more than 200 great deals!kj_quilts has posted more than 200 great deals!
I believe that my 20 yo son has a sensory integration disorder, but he has never been officially diagnosed. My 22 yo son, 2 neices and 2 nephews all have diagnoses on the autism spectrum. I always knew that my younger son had to have everything just so or he would melt down. As a teenager, he started spinning like a whirling dervish. I talked to the doctor about it and she blew me off, she said that many parents would love a teenager who spins in circles to relieve stress. But this is different, he will spinn in a circle for an hour and not be dizzy.

He is comforted by weight on his body, like piles of heavy blankets. We are in a good place, and he is really in control (but still spins almost every day). I say take advantage of any therapy you are offered and judge if your child is willing to participate, and then if it helps or makes things worse.

Good Luck!
Old 05-01-2012, 04:22 AM

ISophT has posted more than 100 good deals!ISophT has posted more than 100 good deals!
My nephew was diagnosed with Sensory Processing Disorder a couple of years ago, and it opened a huge door of understanding in my whole extended family. Therapy did seem to help him, but it is still a constant effort on my siste'rs and her whole family's part.

At my sisters urging to read more, I finally did and realized that I definitely have SPD as well (as do many others in my family: brother, mom, dad, another nephew, etc.).

Understanding and acting on things has helped me significantly. I was considering taking nerve medication (a huge consideration for me as I am reluctant to take tylenol) because I just could not calm down and I would yell at my kids way too often and I didn't feel I could stop it. I have started to be able to control it with regular exercise. When I exercise I feel my nerves feeling more grounded, like I am flatter on the floor instead of firing off every direction.

It has also been a huge help to understand and be able to read my sensors, to know when I am being overwhelmed by too much noise, etc. and to be able to take healthy actions to move to a calmer environment.

Several books helped me considerably. One was Raising Your Spirited Child. I can't remember other titles off hand, but I can look them up if needed.