Autism, Anyone?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2012, 01:47 PM

RE: Autism, anyone?

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by nwfrugalista

I am sure parents of typical kids probably think I am a wimpy parent who caves in and relies on bribes, but if he sits through an entire haircut without a meltdown I count that as a win!
Unfortunately parents of "normees" have been my biggest pita! DS has always been big for his age so when he's 5 he looks 8 but seems to act 3. Oh yeah, lots of parenting experts out there!! ROFL.

People don't realize what an impact raising an extraordinary kid has on your life. My DH couldn't work during much of DS childhood. I made way more money and somebody had to be home to get him from school or go to school at least once a week. Nevermind our marriage!

I have been lucky to have a group of adult auties who have helped me and educated me every step of the way. I know DS would never be where he is without them. They are my village
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 09-29-2012, 03:37 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!

Good times ugh.
The Following User Says Thank You to hotmama111 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 03:53 PM

hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
So an update on ds, he is still as crazy as always. Throws lots of temper tantrums and hits me when he can't express himself or get his way. It is exhausting. I have another apt with the developmental pediatrician at the autism center in November, however she is the 2nd doctor there who said he doesn't have pddnos because he is social. Course he fits every other single criteria. I have really no clue why they want us back there except maybe to follow up and see if he is getting speech and ot therapy???? They wanted him to have the apraxia diagnosis and he has gotten that twice since we saw them last but that still doesn't explain his behavior. I have had a hard time with his medicaid getting the OT and speech therapies covered thru therapy. They actually had the audacity to call his lack of speech a "fluency disorder." LMAO he can't freekin talk!
The Following User Says Thank You to hotmama111 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 05:43 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmama111
So an update on ds, he is still as crazy as always. Throws lots of temper tantrums and hits me when he can't express himself or get his way. It is exhausting. I have another apt with the developmental pediatrician at the autism center in November, however she is the 2nd doctor there who said he doesn't have pddnos because he is social. Course he fits every other single criteria. I have really no clue why they want us back there except maybe to follow up and see if he is getting speech and ot therapy???? They wanted him to have the apraxia diagnosis and he has gotten that twice since we saw them last but that still doesn't explain his behavior. I have had a hard time with his medicaid getting the OT and speech therapies covered thru therapy. They actually had the audacity to call his lack of speech a "fluency disorder." LMAO he can't freekin talk!
Is he completely non-verbal? Does he have a "safe zone" where he can go when he's feeling overwhelmed and yell, stim, punch things, without interference?

Aside from figuring out what caused his meltdowns the best thing I learned was to give him a safe way to release it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2012, 09:57 PM

Pregnant

My Mood/Status:
navyfriend21 has posted more than 50 good deals
[quote=Goddessoflubbock;5046606]Is he completely non-verbal? Does he have a "safe zone" where he can go when he's feeling overwhelmed and yell, stim, punch things, without interference?

Aside from figuring out what caused his meltdowns the best thing I learned was to give him a safe way to release it.[quote]

yup they need safe way to calm down
The Following User Says Thank You to navyfriend21 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 10:54 AM

My Mood/Status:
mandi.terp has posted more than 75 good deals!
No children with autism, but wondered if anyone used sign language with your children before they learned to speak? As a Sign Language Interpreter, I work with a variety of children that have multiple disabilities.
The Following User Says Thank You to mandi.terp For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 11:42 AM

My Mood/Status:
Sunbear has posted more than 400 great deals!Sunbear has posted more than 400 great deals!Sunbear has posted more than 400 great deals!Sunbear has posted more than 400 great deals!Sunbear has posted more than 400 great deals!
We used and still use sign language with my 16 year old autisic son. In fact, it is his prefered method of communicating (fastest, always available, etc). He can speak a few words now but is difficlut to understand, so he frequently uses sign and verbal together. I love the Signing Time DVDs. They are a great place to start and not annoying.

We use every method of communication available: PECS, signs, verbal, ProLoQuo2Go and iSign on iPad. It is best to have lots of options.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sunbear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2013, 11:46 AM

My Mood/Status:
mandi.terp has posted more than 75 good deals!
Love the isign and Signing Time videos. Awesome!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunbear View Post
We used and still use sign language with my 16 year old autisic son. In fact, it is his prefered method of communicating (fastest, always available, etc). He can speak a few words now but is difficlut to understand, so he frequently uses sign and verbal together. I love the Signing Time DVDs. They are a great place to start and not annoying.

We use every method of communication available: PECS, signs, verbal, ProLoQuo2Go and iSign on iPad. It is best to have lots of options.
The Following User Says Thank You to mandi.terp For This Useful Post: