Autism, Anyone?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-28-2012, 07:53 PM

RE: Autism, anyone?

Who's Your Mama?
Who's your Mama??

My Mood/Status:
MoneySavinMama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneySavinMama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneySavinMama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneySavinMama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneySavinMama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneySavinMama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Oh "they" includes his 2 yr old brother. He talks like a 3.5 yr old and is very imaginative. Very good for Jackson. I call him my sweet baby surprise
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneySavinMama For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 02-28-2012, 08:29 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by MoneySavinMama View Post
Oh "they" includes his 2 yr old brother. He talks like a 3.5 yr old and is very imaginative. Very good for Jackson. I call him my sweet baby surprise
IKWYM, I often joke that sibs are the best therapists (and their hourly rates are the most reasonable too )!!

One thing that I had to laugh about was that two weeks ago at DS' IEP, the sped teacher wanted a goal for DS to complete certain patterns--I mentioned that DS already had mastered this goal with his ABA team (his BCBA was there and confirmed this) as well as independently when working with me (with minimal prompting and not even loaded to be self-correcting!) They wanted the goal anyway

So I got a chuckle this week when the SPED teacher saw me after school and said, "You know what, we probed the patterning goal and sure enough, he got them all. I guess we can step it up" mmm-hmmm...I did restrain myself from an 'I told you so'
Old 02-28-2012, 09:14 PM

My Mood/Status:
mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
my youngest who is almost 7 had severe apraxia of speech with almost 4 yrs of speech therapy and 6 months of occupational therapy she is doing fairly well. she doesn't have autism but has some sensory issues and add. she had lack of oxgen from acid reflux at 3 days old which probally caused her speech disorder. she turned blue, dh saved her life with a nasal aspirator. she was over fed by a nursery worker in the hospital who thought she knew it all and that is what caused the acid reflux. 3 hours home from the hospital and she was about to die and if dh wasn't home she probally would had.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommyslh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 09:33 PM

hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!hotmama111 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
My soon to be 4 year old son has a severe speech disorder (and prob adhd) is is currently going thru the autism screening. We've had him in speech therapy since before 2 years of age. His genetic panel revealed that he has extremely rare 3q29 microdeletion syndrome. He was born with the cord wrapped around his neck and he was blue and we thought maybe that's what caused apraxia, BUT the genetic doctor I recently saw told me that most babies are born with cord issues and those cord issues don't cause apraxia and it didn't contribute to my son's condition.

Last edited by hotmama111; 02-28-2012 at 10:12 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to hotmama111 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 10:15 PM

nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!nwfrugalista has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotmama111 View Post
My soon to be 4 year old son has a severe speech disorder (and prob adhd) is is currently going thru the autism screening. We've had him in speech therapy since before 2 years of age. His genetic panel revealed that he has extremely rare 3q29 microdeletion syndrome. He was born with the cord wrapped around his neck and he was blue and we thought maybe that's what caused apraxia, BUT the genetic doctor I recently saw told me that most babies are born with cord issues and those cord issues don't cause apraxia and it didn't contribute to my son's severe speech disorder.
Hugs to you, I remember how tough the eval process was--necessary because you need answers, but of course heartbreaking when you start getting them
Wishing health and lots of amazing progress for your DS!
The Following User Says Thank You to nwfrugalista For This Useful Post:
Old 02-28-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommyslh View Post
my youngest who is almost 7 had severe apraxia of speech with almost 4 yrs of speech therapy and 6 months of occupational therapy she is doing fairly well. she doesn't have autism but has some sensory issues and add. she had lack of oxgen from acid reflux at 3 days old which probally caused her speech disorder. she turned blue, dh saved her life with a nasal aspirator. she was over fed by a nursery worker in the hospital who thought she knew it all and that is what caused the acid reflux. 3 hours home from the hospital and she was about to die and if dh wasn't home she probally would had.
How scary! I am so grateful that your DH was able to have the presence of mind to act quickly to save your DD
Old 02-28-2012, 11:06 PM

My Mood/Status:
mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
i just screamed and he took one look at her and yelled suction so i grabbed the nasal aspirator and he cleared the airway. apraxia is either genetic or caused by lack of oxgen and there is nobody anywhere is either family with apraxia. i'm just glad she is now able to talk, it was very hard for everyone when she couldn't.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to mommyslh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 01:42 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
There are two forms of apraxia, CAS or childhood apraxia of speech, which is usually caused by either genetics or a hypoxic event. Then there's developmental apraxia for which there are several possible causes but basically it's neurological. My son has the latter for which he underwent years of speech therapy. In the beginning he had such poor motor control he drooled.

He's got a small pt job now, he started working at 15 as a web site developer and now builds games for pocket change (mostly indie stuff). He's such a cliche, but frankly he has a gift with all things computer that's amazing. He's a junior in HS and is the teachers aide in a web design class. If he sees the actual teacher once a week it's a lot!

We've started the college search. I'd like him to stay home the first year or so, he wants to flex his wings....there's just not enough Xanax in the world!
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 06:20 AM

My Mood/Status:
christinadeals has posted more than 300 great deals!christinadeals has posted more than 300 great deals!christinadeals has posted more than 300 great deals!christinadeals has posted more than 300 great deals!
My 2 year old is on the spectrum. However, with chelation & diet change we have seen immediate results and I see a bright future for us all.

Feel free to FB me, mommies! It's nice to have someone understand you, because people truly can't if they aren't in your shoes.

facebook id: xtinathedreamer
The Following User Says Thank You to christinadeals For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 06:56 AM

My Mood/Status:
here is a link to apraxia speaks that has a pic of my brooke and her story.

Apraxia, Dyspraxia and soon to be ADD or AHDH

btw hotmama11 a cord around the neck could cause apraxia even though it doesn't cause every one to have apraxia. it would depend on how long was baby without oxgen. brooke was without long enough for the eyes to roll, i will never get that picture out of my mind, i remember as if if were yesterday. her sensory issues were caused by damage to the central nervous system due to lack of oxgen so there is no doubt it caused her apraxia.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommyslh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-29-2012, 05:02 PM

AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!
Does anyone here have teenager with aspergers? My 13 yr old son's behavior has always been pretty bad at times but it seems to be getting worse as he gets older. His meltdowns are above and beyond in my opinion. He can be the most polite, helpful, and intelligent child I've ever seen. BUT When the smallest thing makes him upset or angry all heck breaks loose. Screaming cussing stomping slamming you name it he does it. Does anyone else have the same issue? I can use any advice or support I can get.
The Following User Says Thank You to AChiodini For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2012, 12:09 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
My son is 17, he has Aspergers. The meltdowns seemed to get worse as he was heading into puberty. Once he got over that hump things calmed down.

One thing we did was every day after school he came in and spent an hour alone in his room, spinning on his chair and decompressing from the day. He needed that time to "clean the day off" as he used to say. Then he was usually good for the rest of the night.

So I guess time is the answer
Old 03-01-2012, 01:55 PM

AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessoflubbock
My son is 17, he has Aspergers. The meltdowns seemed to get worse as he was heading into puberty. Once he got over that hump things calmed down.

One thing we did was every day after school he came in and spent an hour alone in his room, spinning on his chair and decompressing from the day. He needed that time to "clean the day off" as he used to say. Then he was usually good for the rest of the night.

So I guess time is the answer
Well at Least Maybe there's an end in sight. I'll have to give decompressing a try. I'm up for most anything . Thanks
The Following User Says Thank You to AChiodini For This Useful Post:
Old 04-01-2012, 12:30 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Autism awareness month is here. I try and post a tip a day on my FB and Twitter for the folks not yet touched by autism. For instance, today's tip was if you see a mom struggling with an "unruly" child, please don't judge, he may have autism.

Stores and parking lots were hell for us. I had a lady call 911 on us in a Walmart parking lot. I told her to tell the cops to meet us at home. An hour later they showed up. Ugh! Trying to save other parents the problems
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 09:00 AM

way behind on clipping!!!

My Mood/Status:
marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Mommyslh: Your daughter is beautiful!
My DS7 has ADD as well. Best of luck to you!
The Following User Says Thank You to marenian For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 09:16 AM

Who's Your Mama?
Who's your Mama??

My Mood/Status:
MoneySavinMama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneySavinMama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneySavinMama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneySavinMama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneySavinMama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneySavinMama has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Such a great idea, Lubbock! I need to find a few activities for the month. I plan to begin organizing our walk team for Autism Speaks walk in October also. I've just been so tired...feel asleep in my wet bath towel with lights and TV on last night! Now that's pooped.
The Following User Says Thank You to MoneySavinMama For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 03:40 PM

My son I have posted about on here with aspergers has been flown to children's hospital and is in surgery for a brain tumor. Last night they put shunt in for the pressure. If we would've missed it for one more day he wouldn't have made til morning. He would've passed because pressure so high. I'm telling everyone this because my son (13) never said anything to anyone about symptoms he was having because his brain functions differently then ours. He was having headaches dizziness double vision at distances n many other things. He never said anything except for "sinus headache " from allergies. So please anyone who has a child with brain issues like aspergers or anything else please ask questions about vision headaches etc no matter how silly u think it may be. My son will have a lot of hospital time surgeries 6 hr long MRI CT scans etc because I never knew he was having any problems. Not to mention I was one night away from losing him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AChiodini For This Useful Post:
Old 04-03-2012, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AChiodini View Post
My son I have posted about on here with aspergers has been flown to children's hospital and is in surgery for a brain tumor. Last night they put shunt in for the pressure. If we would've missed it for one more day he wouldn't have made til morning. He would've passed because pressure so high. I'm telling everyone this because my son (13) never said anything to anyone about symptoms he was having because his brain functions differently then ours. He was having headaches dizziness double vision at distances n many other things. He never said anything except for "sinus headache " from allergies. So please anyone who has a child with brain issues like aspergers or anything else please ask questions about vision headaches etc no matter how silly u think it may be. My son will have a lot of hospital time surgeries 6 hr long MRI CT scans etc because I never knew he was having any problems. Not to mention I was one night away from losing him.
Oh my gracious! I am so so sorry to hear that your son was taken ill--I will pray for a successful surgery and full recovery. I am grateful that it was caught just in time, I cannot imagine how stunned you were to receive such news.

You brought up a really important point to query kids when they seem sick. I think it is a concern for many parents, especially those with children with communication issues--I have often thought that my DS would not know to complain of pain (say if his appendix burst for example) or know how to express it. It is scary and I thank you for the reminder.

Hugs to you and your son
Old 04-06-2012, 02:38 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
I am so sorry to hear about your son, hoping he comes through it just fine!

It's a great point tho, they feel and describe pain very differently. My DS was drinking out of a glass one day and it just imploded in his hand! Luckily I heard the glass breaking, he was calmly cleaning up, glass in his hand, blood gushing, I nearly fainted! He was calm and fine with everything, even the lidocaine injection and stitches.

A few months later he got stung by a bee on the back patio, you'd think he'd been shot the way he was screaming. Just a whole different perception.
Old 04-06-2012, 03:27 AM

Freedom!

My Mood/Status:
CMLaw has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CMLaw has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CMLaw has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CMLaw has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CMLaw has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CMLaw has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CMLaw has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CMLaw has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
If anyone is in NE Ohio or knows someone in NE Ohio we have a great program called Cops 4 Kids with Autism. Cops 4 Kids With*Autism

"Since June 2006 the Cops 4 Kids with Autism program has brought awareness to local authorities in Summit, Medina, Cuyahoga, Lorain, and Huron counties, about families in their community who have an autistic child living with them. Our program puts together baskets annually for the families of these children and the local police officers then deliver the baskets to the families which in turn have a profound positive impact."

One of my dearest friends is the director and she is a cop who has a kid with autism.

"Making the decision to have a child is momentous. It is to decide forever to have your heart go walking around outside your body."
Elizabeth Stone
The Following User Says Thank You to CMLaw For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2012, 07:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goddessoflubbock
I am so sorry to hear about your son, hoping he comes through it just fine!

It's a great point tho, they feel and describe pain very differently. My DS was drinking out of a glass one day and it just imploded in his hand! Luckily I heard the glass breaking, he was calmly cleaning up, glass in his hand, blood gushing, I nearly fainted! He was calm and fine with everything, even the lidocaine injection and stitches.

A few months later he got stung by a bee on the back patio, you'd think he'd been shot the way he was screaming. Just a whole different perception.
Yes I agree when my son stubs toe its like he got shot. With This tumor he's been calm. They removed about 96% of it. He will need radiation And chemo when strong enough again. Its gonna be very long road I just don't want anyone else to go thru this. If he would've expressed himself Like other kids we could've caught it a lot sooner before it got so big. Thank u for blessings and to the OP also
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AChiodini For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2012, 12:08 PM

AChiodini,

Thanks for the update, I can imagine that with helping your son it's hard for you to find time to get online!

I am so glad they were able to remove most of the tumor, and pray that he tolerates the rest of the treatments well and that they are able to vanquish the rest of the tumor. My thoughts are definitely with you and your son.

Sending e-hugs!!
The Following User Says Thank You to nwfrugalista For This Useful Post:
Old 04-06-2012, 01:09 PM

My Mood/Status:
nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
My 10 year old autistic son gets to come with me for Take Your Child to Work Day on April 26. It will just be half a day, since I don't think he could handle a whole day. I'm excited!
Old 04-07-2012, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmatson View Post
My 10 year old autistic son gets to come with me for Take Your Child to Work Day on April 26. It will just be half a day, since I don't think he could handle a whole day. I'm excited!
Very cool--Hope that means you get the rest of the day off too!
Old 04-07-2012, 09:57 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by CMLaw
If anyone is in NE Ohio or knows someone in NE Ohio we have a great program called Cops 4 Kids with Autism. Cops 4 Kids With Autism

"Since June 2006 the Cops 4 Kids with Autism program has brought awareness to local authorities in Summit, Medina, Cuyahoga, Lorain, and Huron counties, about families in their community who have an autistic child living with them. Our program puts together baskets annually for the families of these children and the local police officers then deliver the baskets to the families which in turn have a profound positive impact."

One of my dearest friends is the director and she is a cop who has a kid with autism.
It sounds like a great program for the kids and the cops. I just wish adults weren't so left out. My son is nearly 18, he is out alone frequently (walking to and from work, out with friends, etc) and I am just really concerned if the police ever felt the need to question him. If he doesn't know you he is anxious and to a cop would look both guilty and high (he stims). I want him to carry a card in his wallet explaining he's autistic but he wants no part of it.

A mother's worries never end!