Anyone Have An ADD Child?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2012, 09:31 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Help Sign Anyone have an ADD child?

It's looking more and more likely that DS (age 5) may be ADD like his dad. We are opposed to medicating unless as a last resort and right now I don't think it's that severe.

So here's what I'm asking for help wise...

Another mom told me that going gluten free helped control her son's symptoms. Anyone else know of this?
Anyone have suggestions on how to put together a gluten free diet as inexpensively as possible?
I have a super tight budget this month but would really like to do a 2 week trial of gluten free diet with him asap.

Also if you have an ADD child what non medication treatments/coping mechanisms have worked for you?

Thanks folks
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lovage2 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-15-2012, 08:42 PM

RE: Anyone have an ADD child?

momofsix6789 has posted more than 50 good deals
I have 7 year old twins with adhd. My 4 year old I don't believe has adhd, But I do believe he copies some of their behaviors. I have not tried the gluten free so I don't know. But I do know that there are tons of blogs out there with info and great recipes on them. I enrolled my kids in mixed martial arts 2 months ago, and wow oh wow what a difference I see in them all. This is definetly not frugal, But for their sanity and mine it was well worth it. I have been recommending this to everyone. Michelle
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to momofsix6789 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 10:22 AM

way behind on clipping!!!

My Mood/Status:
marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
My son was 5 also when the symptoms of ADHD first appeared in Kindergarten. It's been a rough road and we're still struggling today. We do medicate but I've also started looking at nutrition as a means to lower meds if not eliminate altogether...right now I think we're a long way from that, in fact I just had to bump him up to the higher dosage again this week because he just isn't able to focus in school, getting in trouble, etc.

Anyway, I've started reading 'Eating for Autism' (sorry don't remember the author and don't have the book with me at the moment and many autism/ADHD symptoms are the same) which takes steps to better eating with GFCF one of the steps. I'm still working on eliminating artificial colors/flavors and better nutrition. I'm afraid if I did the 'cold turkey', jump-right-in to GFCF DS may not eat, LOL! He's a very picky eater with a major sweet tooth. I'm also working on switching favorites over from conventional to organic/natural alternatives. I don't have a Trader Joes or Whole Foods anywhere near me but my supermarket does have a pretty good health food section and Target also has some things. It's not cheap by any means but with coupons and sales it's not entirely outrageous either. Also, I think Amazon has an entire gluten-free section in their on-line store.

I'd just caution you to check with your pediatrician before starting any restrictive/elimination diet if you already haven't. Some websites that you may want to check out are 'thepeacefulmom' and 'onceamonthmom' has a GF monthly menu.

DS also has 'talk' therapy about once every 3 weeks but, honestly, for us it doesn't seem to do much. Even after all this time DS just hasn't seemed to connect with his therapist and shuts down and doesn't say much (except for the one time when I bribed him with 5 bucks...chattered like a little bird, LOL!). I'm debating on whether to continue or try to find someone else.

Feel free to PM me anytime...I'm no expert on anything but I'm there if you need someone to chat with.

Good luck, k.

Last edited by marenian; 02-03-2012 at 10:26 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to marenian For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 10:30 AM

My Mood/Status:
marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!marenian has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by momofsix6789 View Post
I have 7 year old twins with adhd. My 4 year old I don't believe has adhd, But I do believe he copies some of their behaviors. I have not tried the gluten free so I don't know. But I do know that there are tons of blogs out there with info and great recipes on them. I enrolled my kids in mixed martial arts 2 months ago, and wow oh wow what a difference I see in them all. This is definetly not frugal, But for their sanity and mine it was well worth it. I have been recommending this to everyone. Michelle
Martial arts is something I've thought about for DS as well with all the self-discipline it seems to teach. I'm just afraid he might just like all that karate-chopping a bit much and practice on his sister!
The Following User Says Thank You to marenian For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 10:54 AM

Feeling cranky :(
Lovin' all this great info AFC has :)

My Mood/Status:
icoupon4mknm has posted more than 10 good deals
My son is 8 and has ADHD, I started seeing signs when he was very young, he couldn't take direction, never followed through with things, man it was hard!!! We tried changing his diet, cutting back on sugar, discipline chart, chore chart... Nothing worked. School was so hard for him, he was getting letters sent home every other day, he wasn't getting anything in school, even simple things like ABC's, I hated seeing him struggle. So I had 2 put him on medication, as his mother I felt like I was failing him if I didn't, I'm not saying that is right for everyone, that's what I felt for us. I do not like the idea that he is on medication but he definitely needs it. We r actually meeting with a new Dr the end of Feb so he can evaluate Matthew n decide what he feels is the best med for him. It's a process, even with Matthew being on meds, it's not a fix, he still struggles with following through with things, attention, impulsivity, anger, he feels he stupid bc its harder for him 2 get things but once it clicks he's got it, it's none stop, I am constantly on him, it's exhausting :-/ I am a single Mom so when Matthew goes 2 his dads everywhere wkend I welcome it good luck with everything, ur not alone even though u feel like u

I have my older son in karate n I have asked Matthew if he wants 2 try it but he says no bc he doesn't want 2 have people watching him I don't want 2 force him bc it is very expensive but I know it would help again good luck
Old 02-03-2012, 11:03 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by icoupon4mknm View Post
I have my older son in karate n I have asked Matthew if he wants 2 try it but he says no bc he doesn't want 2 have people watching him I don't want 2 force him bc it is very expensive but I know it would help again good luck
Oh, man, I know the "people are looking at me" thing quite well! DS plays rec league basketball and even when he makes a shot and all the parents start to clap he gets all nervous and wants to come and hide by me on the sidelines. It's getting better but he still dislikes it.

Good luck finding the right meds. We'll be trying something that lasts longer over spring break and I'm a bit nervous. I hate the trial-and-error to find the right fit.

I feel for you dealing with this as a single mom. I'm glad you can get that break you need every couple weeks. It really is exhausting, isn't it?
The Following User Says Thank You to marenian For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 11:41 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by marenian

Oh, man, I know the "people are looking at me" thing quite well! DS plays rec league basketball and even when he makes a shot and all the parents start to clap he gets all nervous and wants to come and hide by me on the sidelines. It's getting better but he still dislikes it.

Good luck finding the right meds. We'll be trying something that lasts longer over spring break and I'm a bit nervous. I hate the trial-and-error to find the right fit.

I feel for you dealing with this as a single mom. I'm glad you can get that break you need every couple weeks. It really is exhausting, isn't it?
My boyfriend does live with us n he helps out a lot with homework n all bc I just do not have the patience like he does but its not the same. Some days I feel like I can't handle it all, but then I tell myself 2 put my big girl panties on lmao
I hate the trial and error as well, it has 2 feel so crappy for the kids :-/ but I'm sure it feels worse feeling like they do without meds, my son told me once Mom my brain doesn't stop, n I can't control myself so that is when I was like ok I'm done we r trying meds!

Kara
Old 02-03-2012, 11:59 AM

qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!qrazy has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
We think our 2nd daughter has some ADD. But we homeschool so have never felt the need to get her tested. She is a random thinker. She is also a very passionate, intense child that feels things deeply. And had some OCD behaviors when she was younger (she is 10 1/2). I subscribe to celebratecalm.com weekly email newsletter and it really has some great stuff.
The other thing that has made the most difference is music. Our girls both started singing in the church choir when they were 6. And now they are each playing 2 musical instruments. For some reason I can't explain (I'm not a musical person) learning to read and play music helps organize her brain, probably much the same way that martial arts would.
Hope this helps, Diana
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to qrazy For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 12:03 PM

IQdoU

My Mood/Status:
JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
my daughter was in preschool when a teacher told us she thought my 4 year old had issues ...add or adhd...we asked her why she made this conclusion ...according to her daughter didn't focus and wouldn't/couldn't sit still. We decided to talk to her doctor based on the preschool teachers information...we filled out all the questionaires, etc. and her doctor was not concerned based on what we offered for information. as a pre-caution we had her get early screening for kindergarten..which she passed. During kindergarten her teacher also felt my daughter had issues focusing and sitting still but no other issues ...we worked together to improve her behavior...lots of rewards and praise but no meds...in following years we spoke to her new teacher every year and explained that my daughter had issues and each year the teachers worked with us to help her...they kept her seated away from other rowdy children and away from other distractions and we used a timer for her homework time to keep her on track as this was her biggest issue...the goal was to keep her focused on the work for the time not necessarily to complete it...the entire time from kindergarten on she was able to maintain good grades, mostly A's, with the help of her teachers...and by 4th grade her teachers were no longer seeing the same issues and by 6th grade my daughter was a completely self-focused and diligent student. She is now a freshman and a straight A student.

besides the timer we used for homework and teacher involvement we made sure my daughter took part in a physical activity (soccer), got plenty of sleep and ate well. We never medicated her. not to pass judgement on those who do opt for meds but for us we knew that once she was on meds she would always be on meds and we desperately wanted to work with her to self-correct before medicating and luckily it worked.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JArble For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 12:28 PM

My Mood/Status:
Jarble that is great that you were able to help your daughter without meds and kudos to her teachers for helping her. That makes such a big difference. Last year, Ds's was one where she just could not handle any disruption of any kind. It was to the point where she was sending home notes every day for the smallest of things. It was her first year as a K teacher (she had 4th grade before) and admitted right to us that "I don't know anything about 5 year olds". This year in 1st he has a great teacher who's been teaching that grade for 7 years or more and has a much higher tolerance level and things have gone much smoother.
Old 02-03-2012, 12:44 PM

IQdoU

My Mood/Status:
JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!JArble has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marenian View Post
Jarble that is great that you were able to help your daughter without meds and kudos to her teachers for helping her. That makes such a big difference. Last year, Ds's was one where she just could not handle any disruption of any kind. It was to the point where she was sending home notes every day for the smallest of things. It was her first year as a K teacher (she had 4th grade before) and admitted right to us that "I don't know anything about 5 year olds". This year in 1st he has a great teacher who's been teaching that grade for 7 years or more and has a much higher tolerance level and things have gone much smoother.
yes a good support system is vital and her teachers realized that...they have/have had several kids with moderate to severe add and adhd in classes so most were knowledgable about coping skills, techniques, etc. They were great and I will be forever grateful.
Old 02-07-2012, 06:11 PM

My Mood/Status:
I wanted 2 give u all an update, I said in one of my last post i didn't have my son who has ADHD in karate but as of Friday we signed him up! Now I'm seriously gonna be broke!!! Im hoping it helps our situation, hope everyone is well!
Old 02-09-2012, 01:18 PM

lookih

My Mood/Status:
katrinagym84 has posted more than 10 good deals
Try fish oil and DHa vitamins.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to katrinagym84 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2012, 01:53 PM

catt101 has posted more than 300 great deals!catt101 has posted more than 300 great deals!catt101 has posted more than 300 great deals!catt101 has posted more than 300 great deals!
DS is also ADD. I agree. Try the fish oul and DHA... Had good, yet limited results. We do medicate, but am always looking for new ideas.
We gave had good results using caffiene. Not too mich. DS gets 4-6oz. Of soda or iced tea in the a.m. And another 4-6oz. Around bedtime. Seems to help keep him calm.
Remember, with ADD some medications give the opposite side effect as compared to a "normal" child. For instance Benadryl usually makes a "normal" child drowsy... With my son, it makes him hyper!
That is why stimulant meds ( such as Adderal) work well for ADDers.
Old 02-09-2012, 01:54 PM

catt101 has posted more than 300 great deals!catt101 has posted more than 300 great deals!catt101 has posted more than 300 great deals!catt101 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by catt101
DS is also ADD. I agree. Try the fish oul and DHA... Had good, yet limited results. We do medicate, but am always looking for new ideas.
We gave had good results using caffiene. Not too mich. DS gets 4-6oz. Of soda or iced tea in the a.m. And another 4-6oz. Around bedtime. Seems to help keep him calm.
Remember, with ADD some medications give the opposite side effect as compared to a "normal" child. For instance Benadryl usually makes a "normal" child drowsy... With my son, it makes him hyper!
Excuse poor typing. Iphone user!
Old 02-09-2012, 02:03 PM

kdrink has posted more than 100 good deals!kdrink has posted more than 100 good deals!
ADHD: non-medicating/Naturopathic/Gluten

My son was diagnosed with ADHD since he was three! He truly has ADHD. We have not put him on medication and he just turned 10 today!!!!!!The naturopathic way works for us and I will share with you what cost us$500.00 to find out. First, look in your phone book to see is there is a naturopathic doctor in your area and schedule an appt. if you are able to do so. A long history is taken and much information is shared. A food allergy test was given. I was amazed at the food sensitivities that showed up our ours: Gluten, Milk, dairy, peanut butter, nuts, some veggies, soy, etc... We went gluten and dairy free. We use rice milk, goats milk and almond milk. No bread-we make homemade or buy Udi's gluten free. We read labels! Our son was prescribed: Barlean's Omega Swirl Fish Oil/Omega 3 Oils (it's liquid and very tasty and good actually), L-tyrosine powder that is mixed with juice, Mega Vitamin B-12, and a vitamin complex that you can only order from a certain company. I cannot recall the name right now but you can pm me if interested. The idea behind the liquid formulations is 1. kids can swallow it, unlike a pill (depending on age) and 2. Liquid is absorbed faster and it breaks down differently. The naturopathic prescriptions are made at the clinic with the finest forms of vitamins and minerals. They are deductible under flex plan benefits but I don't know about health insurance prescription benefits. We fought our school district to provide special education services under the Other Health Impaired criteria and were granted an IEP for special accomodations. We researched behavior plans online and formulated a positive plan that would work for our son at school as well as other accomodations. However, this is not for the 'faint at heart'. It is quite the process when your school isn't on board, but in the end the results are what matter. And believe me, when you get results, good results, statistical results- the arguments end and you have the pleasure of knowing that what you did made a world of difference and people will taken note of that. We read a few books and I found the Gluten Free for Dummies was very helpful. We also had him in karate, now he likes baseball. If anyone is interested in further discussion you can pm me and I'd be happy to answer other questions. And if you want to try the Udi's bread I do have $1/1 coupons that expire 2-29-12 and can send you a couple. Also, visit a health food store near you. The stores near us are extremely helpful and knowledgeable. We found that we were not alone. Disclaimer: I am only saying that these are the things that worked for our child, you will want to pursure medical advice. We did find that our pediatrician disagreed with the naturopathic doctor.

Last edited by kdrink; 02-09-2012 at 03:41 PM.
Old 02-09-2012, 02:13 PM

GOONIES!
When it rains, it pours...

My Mood/Status:
Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Z and G's Mom has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I agree with the caffeine!! A family we were very close to growing up has a son who was diagnosed quite young with ADHD. A half a can of coke in the morning and the other half in the evening helped him immensely!!

I also agree with the karate!! My cousin's 8yo was diagnosed ADD at age 4 and had a really rough Kindergarten year. In the summer they started him in karate and it made a WORLD of difference! He's doing so much better in 1st grade this year and my cousin attributes it to the body control he is being taught in karate!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(7), DS
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(4), an 11yo
and a 6yo

Totally OCD. Luckily my DH is building me new stockpile shelves so I can more easily rearrange and reorganize my goodies!
Old 02-09-2012, 05:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by catt101 View Post
Would u give ur son the fish oil and DHa along with medication? and how much of both?

We tried giving my son some caffeine and OMG he was bouncing off of the walls!!! NEVER TRYING THAT AGAIN!!!
Old 02-09-2012, 07:22 PM

Yes we gave fish and DHA with meds. No issues with that.
Sorry to hear caffiene didnt work. Never hurts to try!
The Following User Says Thank You to catt101 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2012, 07:23 PM

Will have to check on doseages.
I cant remember offhand.
Do a google search. Size and age make a difference in dosing.
The Following User Says Thank You to catt101 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2012, 07:56 PM

My Mood/Status:
donpenfamily has posted more than 25 good deals
My son is 11 years old and has ADHD. I remember like it was yesterday, back in 1st grade, we would be up LITERALLY until 1-3am doing his homework with him. We took a questionaire home with us from the pediatricain's office. One q for me, my husband, and then the teacher. The test were turned into the doc and it showed that he had mild ADHD. After two more years of dancing around the fact of whether we should medicate or not, we did and still do. I have him on 20mg Extended Realease of Focalin. I have never upped it even though the doc has mentioned that he will "outgrow" his dosage. I can take him on and off, which I don't, when needed. It is nonaddicting. I just thought I would mention this to you guys out there incase someone was in search for such a med. The only negative thing about the med is that you have to watch and have their weight monitored every 3 months. My son is very intelligent and smart. He is home schooled this year because of finances and didn't work out well in a public school setting. He has always went to a private school...which he will go back to this coming year. He will be in 6th grade. I have my bad days and then I have my good days with him. You just have to ride them out! I love him and wouldn't change a thing about him. I try to stay positive in this area. There is light at the end of the tunnel I believe. One day at a time! BTW-if anyone lives in the Indianapolis, Indiana area and has a son close to age, he would love to have someone to interact with. He does have a hard time making friends because of his immaturity. (DID I mention that as a child I was diagnosed with ADHD and am med free now!) Pm me with any questions you may have as I have been the ADHD kid before...just a more grown up mature adult now.
Old 02-09-2012, 07:57 PM

My Mood/Status:
donpenfamily has posted more than 25 good deals
I alos want to comment that I believe there are different outlets for boys then girls. I could be wrong....but I was/am one of those children!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:34 PM

kdrink has posted more than 100 good deals!kdrink has posted more than 100 good deals!
addition to post

The name of the vitamin complex that I couldn't remember the name of in my previous post is:

Kirkman Super Nu-Thera Powder

You can order it directly from the company and I have seen it on Amazon. It is widely used, and you can read about it on the internet. thanks
Old 02-10-2012, 08:00 PM

sux being stalked & harassed!!
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!metalmama1 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovage2 View Post
It's looking more and more likely that DS (age 5) may be ADD like his dad. We are opposed to medicating unless as a last resort and right now I don't think it's that severe.
(dude, totally no offense...... TOTALLY none intended!!!!!!!!! while you read every word i wrote, know that!!!)

let's say your kid took after his dad, who had epilepsy. would you then say 'we are opposed to medicating? seizures are kinda cool to watch'?

cuz adhd/ add/ tourette's/ ocd / epilepsy ... all in the same family of neurological impulse control disorders.....

& hyper drugs, when prescribed to hyper people, are an absolute blessing from the Lord.

first time i took 'em, i went shopping, then i cried all the way home at how incredibly, stunningly different & AWESOME life as a 'normal person' is!!!

i just can't even put it into words you'll understand

i mean like, for me, life is all about 'where's my cell phone? where's my keys? where's my car?' FRUSTRATION!!!

, i'll get in trouble for violating afc terms of not writing bad words on the open forum if i try to express it any more than that ....

everyone forgets stuff..... but sometimes, some people forget EVERY FREAKIN' THING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! sometimes EVERYTHING SUX!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and ya don't realize it till ya get home & realize you forgot your kid at cvs & btw, you forgot to pick up your prescrip while you were there, and DANG IT!!!!! why did you drop it off at cvs, when you have a '$20 off your next order if ya let meijer make your pills' and then when you rush out to the car with your heart beating so fast & ya feel so sick cuz you forgot your freakin' kid, (& your husb's life saving heart meds), cps & a cop car is blocking your car in the driveway with your kid in the back seat.....

, just kidding... that hasn't happened to me yet..... YET!!!!!

*takes a deep breath*

...if only my parents hadn't caved cuzza intimidation from perceived stigma, i coulda been diagnosed & dosed as a kid!!! i never woulda dropped outta college the second they ran out of calculus to teach me cuz i got bored & i'd be a blood sucking doctor/ lawyer suing & curing EVERYONE these days & training myself to laugh in a way that made me sound rich & fancy & whipping my manservant with a rod made of diamonds & coated in oil to remind me of how rich i was, but i digress

so... i mean;.... why are you opposed to meds that he might actually need, that might actually change the course of his life? (TOTALLY you don't need to answer that for the benefit of us internet idiots !!!!! that question is for your contemplation!!!! took me 2 years to answer that 1, then another year come to grips with that answer so it's hard for me to fault my parents too much, even tho it's fun to play the blame game ;P )

cuz MAN doode!!!!! my life would be SO freakin' different if only....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovage2 View Post
So here's what I'm asking for help wise...

Another mom told me that going gluten free helped control her son's symptoms. Anyone else know of this?
Quote:
Originally Posted by katrinagym84 View Post
Try fish oil and DHa vitamins.
Quote:
I agree. Try the fish oul and DHA... Had good, yet limited results. We do medicate, but am always looking for new ideas.
i get ..... "incensed" is a polite word i'll use cuz i'm on afc when people tell me diet/ sugar/ fish/ vitamins/ etc makes kids not hyper.

back in the 50's kids regularly were dosed with tablespoons of cod liver oil.... *shudders* watch lil rascals

'my people' were off the charts hyper or i wouldn't be today ..... they had to *dry heaves* swallow a tablespoon *pukes* of that every nite before bed..... totally if fish oil helped, i wouldn't be in this thread with all this wisdom & hyper kids

here's an alternate theory!!!!!!.... well.... read on

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Z and G's Mom View Post
I agree with the caffeine!! A family we were very close to growing up has a son who was diagnosed quite young with ADHD. A half a can of coke in the morning and the other half in the evening helped him immensely!!
if ya give a kid stimulants, and it calms 'im down...... huh, isn't that weird?!?!!? might be something to that!!! sooooo many on this thread give their kid caffeine and it helps. wow!! cool!!! weird!! how d'ya explain that?? d'ya think not enough fish, too much gluten & sugar might be why that stuff works like magic? ;

think of 'hyper drugs' as 'intensely concentrated caffeine' & don't play weird games with his food or blame yourself for how ya cook for the family like some will advise celiacs disease (the disorder that necessitates a no gluten diet) makes 'em feel sick & they puke & poop blood... if your kid ain't doing that, prolly he don't need a gluten free diet... but if caffeine pills help maybe something's up with his brain, not his digestive tract

(& again; dude, totally no offense!!!!!!!!!! i know it's gross, but non celiacs eating a gluten free diet- it;s really bad!!! google it!! it's the same as saying 'an iron overdose can kill people, so i'm NEVER giving my kid iron or anything iron enriched!!!' and letting him get anemia cuz he has brown eyes & maybe less iron might make his eyes blue jk to me, it's the same with hyper kids & well intentioned parents screwing with their food totally no offense!! sorry!!)

anyway!!! if you pour sugar into a hyper kid & a normal kid, both will bounce off the walls.... if ya give 'em both caffeine..... (or some kinda stimulant) 1 will be calm, sedate, 'normal'..... 1 will be wound & amped..... huh!! funny how the same substances affects people differently!! might be a neurological issue that actually shows up in EEGs, not just a media scapegoat thing....

Quote:
Originally Posted by icoupon4mknm View Post
My son is 8 and has ADHD, I started seeing signs when he was very young, he couldn't take direction, never followed through with things, man it was hard!!! We tried changing his diet, cutting back on sugar, discipline chart, chore chart... Nothing worked. School was so hard for him, he was getting letters sent home every other day, he wasn't getting anything in school, even simple things like ABC's, I hated seeing him struggle. So I had 2 put him on medication, as his mother I felt like I was failing him if I didn't, I'm not saying that is right for everyone, that's what I felt for us. I do not like the idea that he is on medication but he definitely needs it. We r actually meeting with a new Dr the end of Feb so he can evaluate Matthew n decide what he feels is the best med for him. It's a process, even with Matthew being on meds, it's not a fix, he still struggles with following through with things, attention, impulsivity, anger, he feels he stupid bc its harder for him 2 get things but once it clicks he's got it, it's none stop, I am constantly on him, it's exhausting :-/ I am a single Mom so when Matthew goes 2 his dads everywhere wkend I welcome it good luck with everything, ur not alone even though u feel like u
dude i almost cried when i read this... worded so much more polite & better than anything i ever coulda managed, thanx!!!! pm me your addy, i wanna send you some q's!!!!!

Last edited by metalmama1; 02-10-2012 at 08:06 PM.
Old 02-15-2012, 10:26 AM

My Mood/Status:
nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!nmatson has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I wouldn't give Mikey the Adderall some shrink wanted him to take. Fish oil is good and B-12. I've heard gluten free helps some people, but it would be too hard for me, personally.