Reusable Grocery Bags

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-05-2009, 08:16 PM
is clipping coupons

My Mood/Status:
gohans wife has posted more than 150 good deals!gohans wife has posted more than 150 good deals!
Reusable grocery bags

My Shoprite offers $0.05 back on your order for each reusable grocery bag you use and $0.02 back for each plastic bag you reuse. I was just curious if any other Shoprites are doing this deal? I was surprised at how much the cents added up over the past few months of using my reusable bags. It's definitely a great incentive to "go green"!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gohans wife For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 03-05-2009, 09:04 PM

RE: Reusable grocery bags

is crazy busy during her favorite time of year!

My Mood/Status:
lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lastocks has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
All the SR's here in the Hudson Valley of NY have the same rebates for reusable bags. My problem is I usually either forget them or my husband has stolen them to throw the kid's toys in!
The Following User Says Thank You to lastocks For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2009, 05:26 AM

It's the stuff that dreams are made of....

My Mood/Status:
noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Like lastocks said...my Kingston, NY store has offered this for awhile. My favorite is when I have a small list with great coupon matchups that make my shopping trip very cheap to begin with and then get my 5c for bags too! I had great coupons that matched up with a sale and had already done my weekly shopping when I got the tip, but made the extra stop for these 4 items that totaled 32c after coupons and then I got my 5c back too!
I am very good about using my bags at the grocery store. It's drug stores and sometimes target that I forget about them. The worst is the drugstore. I have the bags in my cart and forget to give them to the cashier until everything is bagged-arghh (at least there I'm not losing 5c for not using the bag, but still who needs tons of plastic).

I know this is a Shoprite area, but as a side note...Hannaford stores no longer offer the credit for using your own bags.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noellebrow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2009, 07:39 AM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
acroporalover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!acroporalover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!acroporalover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!acroporalover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!acroporalover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!acroporalover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!acroporalover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!acroporalover has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Mine has also. It is definately worth it to bring in my bags, .
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to acroporalover For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2009, 02:53 PM

My Mood/Status:
MoneyMateKate has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneyMateKate has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneyMateKate has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneyMateKate has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneyMateKate has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!MoneyMateKate has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I don't know how significant those savings will feel because I just got one a week ago, but I know how excited my mother was when I walked her through the Kimberly-Clarke deal last Saturday and, in addition to getting a $5 catalina back on a $6 purchase, a coupon for a free reusable shopping tote printed. You'd think it was Christmas!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MoneyMateKate For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2009, 08:12 AM

Son of a Nutcracker!

My Mood/Status:
gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
my shoprite does the same! Gotta LOVE shoprite!
Old 03-09-2009, 12:13 PM

lafalot has posted more than 5 good deals
The ShopRite in Phillipsburg, NJ offers .05 back for each reusable bag. I even use their shop at home service and they accept the reusable bags. If you do this, make sure you put your name on them! By the way, their shop at home service is great! They still accept coupons so you won't miss out on any deals.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lafalot For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2009, 07:45 PM

Just checking the deals!

My Mood/Status:
BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
My Shoprite offers .05 back for canvas bags and .02 back for each plastic or paper bag. And I make sure I never forget my canvas bags. I carry about eight of them in my coupon bag, and in the the trunk of my car. Some of the other major grocery stores in my area have similar offers. But so far Shoprite has the best, IMHO!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BargainSeeker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2009, 09:41 AM

My Mood/Status:
rhymeme has posted more than 25 good deals
Does it have to be ShopRite's reusable bags, or will any reuasable (non-plastic) bags get the $.05 back? I've gotten the $.05 for reusing plastic, but thinking about making some fabric shopping bags (I have a lot of fabric scraps lying around, and have seen how to make shopping bags out of old tee shirt, etc.).
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rhymeme For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2009, 10:59 AM

Son of a Nutcracker!

My Mood/Status:
gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!gwlapw has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymeme View Post
Does it have to be ShopRite's reusable bags, or will any reuasable (non-plastic) bags get the $.05 back? I've gotten the $.05 for reusing plastic, but thinking about making some fabric shopping bags (I have a lot of fabric scraps lying around, and have seen how to make shopping bags out of old tee shirt, etc.).

nope.. i use my acme at my shoprite all the time and they always credit me...
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gwlapw For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2009, 11:52 AM

My Mood/Status:
noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!noellebrow has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by rhymeme View Post
As GWLAPW said, I use all sorts of bags and get the refund!

It's great that you can put your fabric scraps to use in that way!

Maybe you can even make a little business selling "specialty" or personalized reusable shopping bags!

I have quite the collection and really should stop buying them, but who can resist a pretty bag, plus, they will eventually wear out and need to be replaced, so I will eventually need them all!

Happy Sewing!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to noellebrow For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2009, 07:03 PM

My Mood/Status:
SuzyNEON has posted more than 50 good deals
ShopRite in Branchburg and Bound Brook NJ do it too. I love using the reusable bags, they hold so much more and make it way easier!
Old 03-19-2009, 07:45 PM

Coupon Diva

My Mood/Status:
Julez has posted more than 200 great deals!Julez has posted more than 200 great deals!Julez has posted more than 200 great deals!
Every Shoprite in my area does the canvas bag 5c back. I saved close to $50 last year just using my bags.

I have a mix-n-match of bags - some from the commissary, a couple from Shoprite that were free, a couple from Trader Joe's, and several that I made myself from the remnants I got at Joann's for CHEAP CHEAP!

My Pathmark gives 3c for each bag.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 AM

My Mood/Status:
Mauismom has posted more than 10 good deals
I have been using the reusable bags for a few years now. I like them because they dont rip! I actually do not have any ShopRite bags, I have 6 stop and shop (all freebies and they do the same credit for using) and I attend a ton of trade shows so have tons from there. I keep bags in all my cars so in case I have to make an unexpected trip I have them. The 5 cents is just a bonus not an incentive to me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mauismom For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2009, 03:07 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauismom View Post
The 5 cents is just a bonus not an incentive to me.
I agree, but must admit the 5c helps me remember to bring the bags, so I'll call it motivation. Although, I have been using them long enough now that I rarely forget.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:09 AM

Coupon Diva

My Mood/Status:
Julez has posted more than 200 great deals!Julez has posted more than 200 great deals!Julez has posted more than 200 great deals!
It's strange, but I feel naked without my bags and coupon binder! I very rarely forget either, but if I do I will turn around and go back home to grab them .
Old 03-26-2009, 05:13 AM

AFC Star Member

ban26ana has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ban26ana has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ban26ana has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ban26ana has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ban26ana has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ban26ana has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ban26ana has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I always forget my bags! I haven't been couponing lately (bad bad, I know) but I'm trying to get back into it. I'll have to keep my coupons with the bags like a PP suggested. Then I'll never forget them!

I won't use them for meat, though. The thought of it just grosses me out.
Old 03-26-2009, 07:22 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
k7rlgina has posted more than 25 good deals
I agree with PP - the meat thing kind of grosses me out too, but when I want my full quarter off using the cloth bags I just throw the "meaty" bags in the wash and hang them to dry. I wash them pretty often and I have to say they're in great shape! Has anyone seen the gigantic cloth bags at Babies R Us yet? They're $1 and super cute! I do like the smaller bags from shoprite though, they force me to use more bags per order thus saving me more money in the long run ;-)

Does anyone have a pattern to share for the DIY cloth bags? I have tons of fabric remnants I'd like to use up!
Old 03-26-2009, 07:55 AM

My Mood/Status:
A quick google of "patterns for reusable shopping bags" brings up lots of options and you can pick the one that best suits your style/needs!
Old 03-26-2009, 06:04 PM

Just checking the deals!

My Mood/Status:
BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!BargainSeeker has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ban26ana View Post
I won't use them for meat, though. The thought of it just grosses me out.
How I deal with this situation is I place the meats or any item that might leak, in those clear plastic bags you use to bag vegetables. My Shoprite has stands with these plastic bags located around the meat department, like the fruit and vegetable areas. I grab a handful, and each meat package goes in one. The cashiers appreciate this because they don't get their hands soiled (especially with blood-eeow!), and the conveyor stays dry. I also place the plastic milk bottles and cartons of eggs, in these bags, just in case.

I later repurpose those bags...I rinse and save them for when I want to throw something in the garbage can, that might be moist (like food, oil, bones) or wrap-up something that later can develop an unpleasant order, (empty tuna cans, foods that are starting to spoil, etc.).
The Following User Says Thank You to BargainSeeker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2009, 11:56 AM

Coupon Diva

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by k7rlgina View Post
I agree with PP - the meat thing kind of grosses me out too, but when I want my full quarter off using the cloth bags I just throw the "meaty" bags in the wash and hang them to dry. I wash them pretty often and I have to say they're in great shape! Has anyone seen the gigantic cloth bags at Babies R Us yet? They're $1 and super cute! I do like the smaller bags from shoprite though, they force me to use more bags per order thus saving me more money in the long run ;-)

Does anyone have a pattern to share for the DIY cloth bags? I have tons of fabric remnants I'd like to use up!

I don't use a pattern. Depending on how big or small my remnant is will determine the size of my bag. I just try to make them either a rectangle or square. Double hem the raw edges, then sew the 2 pieces together inside out and either make handles from left over fabric or I buy the cotton/nylong straps from Walmart or Joann's. Here's a pic ofwhat my bags look like.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CustomGroceryBag 001.jpg (80.9 KB, 9 views)
Old 03-30-2009, 03:21 PM

litebrite has posted more than 25 good deals
Mine has this policy in PA, jsut outside Philly. They seem to forget to take it off even though I tell them how many I have, so I just watch and make sure they do it. I got several free with purchase and it does add up!!!!