Shaws 101/Frequently Asked Questions

Closed Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2009, 10:29 AM
Supporting Member

jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Storeinfo Shaws 101/Frequently Asked Questions

1. Where is Shaw's website? What information can I find there?

2. What is Shaw's coupon policy?

3. What is overage? Does Shaws give it?

4. What is the Shaws rewards card and why do I want one?

5. What are gas points and how do they work?

6. Where can I get Shaws store coupons?

7. What is the shopping list and where do I find it?

8. What are the Shaws subforums for? How do I access them?

9. What is a Catalina? How does Shaws use them?

10. How are the Spend X get X Deals Calculated? What does it mean if it "doubles" or "triples"? How do I know if it will?

11. What does "OYNO" mean?

12. What does "SCO" mean?

13. What does "B1G1" or "BOGO" mean?

14. How can I use coupons on a Buy 1 Get 1 deal?

15. How do I contact Shaws?

16. How do I contact Catalina?

17: What is Shaws Raincheck policy?

Last edited by jessl; 01-30-2010 at 09:41 AM.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to jessl For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 12-08-2009, 10:43 AM

RE: Shaws 101/Frequently Asked Questions

Supporting Member

jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!jessl has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
1. Where is Shaw's website? What information can I find there?

Here is a link to their web site: Welcome to Shaw's Supermarkets

You can find the following on their web site:
  • Online version of the weekly circular
  • Current Promotions
  • Online printable coupons
  • Store locator
  • Information on Shaw's brands
  • Information on Shaw's Osco pharmacy - and you can order refills or transfer a perscription online
  • Photo - online photo service - order prints, photo cards, etc.
  • Order gift cards online
  • Contact information
  • Information on Food Safety includning Recall alerts
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to jessl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2009, 10:53 AM

Supporting Member

2. What is Shaw's coupon policy?

Shaws will double up to six "like" coupons with a face value of up to 99 cents.
Examples:
A coupon for 50 cents will double to $1.00
A coupon for 75 cents will double to $1.50
A coupon for $1.00 will not double at all!

If you have 7 coupons for 50 cents off item A, the first 6 will double to $1.00 and the seventh will only take off 50 cents.

If you have 6 coupons for 50 cents off item A and 6 for 50 cents off item B, all 12 will double to $1.00 each.

Shaws "reserves the right" to limit you to 6 like coupons.
This means that if they feel like it, in the scenario above where you have 7 coupons for 50 cents off item A they can refuse to take the 7th one. I have only had this happen once.

Shaws will take IP's (Internet Printables) with a few restrictions:
They will not take an IP if it is for a "FREE" item. This sounds straightforward, but sometimes they will refuse a "Buy one get one free" IP and other times they will allow it.

They will not take IPs with a value above $4.99.

Shaws will let you combine ("stack") a store coupon with a manufacturer's coupon:
This means if you buy Item A you can use two coupons as long as one says "Manufacturer's coupon" (usually along the top) and the other is a Shaws store coupon.

Shaws will no longer take competitor's coupons:
Shaws had a sign up recently (July 2010) saying they no longer take competitor coupons.

DND (Do not double) coupons:
If your coupon says "Do not double" anywhere on it, it is Shaw's policy to not double it. Sometimes you will get lucky as they need to hit a special key to "undouble" it but don't be surprised if this happens.

Last edited by jessl; 08-03-2010 at 05:28 AM.
Old 12-08-2009, 11:00 AM

Supporting Member

3. What is Overage? Does Shaws give it?

"Overage" is the term used by couponers for the slight profit you can make if the coupon value is more than the price of the item.

For example, if an item is on sale for 75 cents and you have $1.00 off and the full value comes off, you have 25 cents overage.

Shaws policy is NOT to give overage. They are supposed to adjust the coupon amount down to the price of the item.

However that doesn't mean you will never get overage at Shaws. Because of the way their registers work, when a coupon doubles it will double up to the regular (shelf) price of an item.

Example: Item A is normally 1.00 but it is on sale for 75 cents. You have a 55 cent coupon. The coupon will scan and take off 55 cents, and an additional 45 cents for a full $1.00.

Last edited by jessl; 02-09-2010 at 01:29 PM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:37 AM

Supporting Member

4. What is the Shaws rewards card and why do I want one?

I'll just take this explanation right from the Shaws website: Welcome to Shaw's Supermarkets

Use your Card and save! The Shaw's Rewards Card is your key to saving and so much more:
  • Automatic discounts on thousands of weekly specials every time you shop with your Card
  • SAVE ON GAS - The more you spend at Shaw's with your Rewards Card; the more you can SAVE ON GAS
  • Exclusive mailings with money-saving coupons and helpful tips
  • Automatic entry in valuable sweepstakes
  • Special offers from our Rewards Partners
  • Save money for college by registering your Shaw's Rewards Card with Upromise

You can sign up for the card on the web site, or you can get one at your store.

If you don't have your card with you, ask the cashier to scan their's and at least you will get the savings which is the main reason to get the card. Almost all of Shaw's "sale" prices are only good if they scan the card. Otherwise you are going to overpay a lot!

Last edited by jessl; 12-10-2009 at 10:41 AM.
Old 12-10-2009, 10:51 AM

Supporting Member

5. What are gas points and how do they work?

Shaw's offers an incentive program for you to save money on gas. Its based on how much money you spend in a single transaction. In most regions, it is 10 cents per gallon for every $50 you spend, but in RI they recently changed it to 5 cents per gal for every $50. Here is a link to the Shaws web site explaining gas points: Promotions - Irving

Shaws has partnered up with Override to do this. Here is their web site: Earn powerful savings on gas with Override

There are a few things to keep in mind:
  • You will need a Shaws Rewards card to earn the points and to cash them in. You actually need the credit card sized one to cash them in, but you can use the keychain one at the checkout.
  • The amount you spend appears to be calculated on actual money you spent plus manufacturer's coupons. Store coupons don't count.
  • If your total calculated above is $49.99 - you get nothing!
  • Points are good for two weeks and then they expire.
  • It is best to use them when you buy a full tank of gas. I believe the most it will take off is 20 gallons worth though. So if you buy 25 gal the last 5 gal will be full price.
  • You have to go to a participating Gulf or Irving station to cash in your points.
  • You can sign up on Override.com and then you will be able to view your points.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:04 AM

Supporting Member

6. Where can I get Shaws store coupons?

Printables: Every week Shaws offers printable store coupons on their web site. You can sign up here:
http://www.getinspired.shaws.com/Welcome.asp

You will need to create an account and enter your Shaws Reward card. They will email you a link every week or you can just go to the site to print them. It is a pdf file so you can print as many as you want. They do usually have wording on them limiting them to one per customer but they don't always enforce it.

If you don't have a printer, or you just forget, some stores keep them at the service desk.

One important point to note: Shaws takes down the current weeks coupons on Thursday and puts up the next weeks. So make sure you print them before Thursday.

Also please note that it is against AFC policy to share pdf files of coupons you have saved on your computer so please do not post asking someone to email them to you.

Coupons in the Mail
Shaws used to have a place on their website to sign up for coupon books but it doesn't appear to be there anymore. If anyone finds it please let me know and I'll update this post.

I get Shaws coupons every so often in the mail as do many other people. I think if you sign up for a Shaws rewards card and give them your address you will get put on the list.

In the store: Sometimes there are Shaws coupons at the service desk or on tear pads or booklets so it doesn't hurt to keep an eye out!

A couple times a year Shaws will advertise that they are having an "open house" and say come in to try samples and get a coupon book. These books are usually pretty good! If you can't make the open house - usually on a Saturday afternoon - look for them next time you go in or ask at the service desk.

Catalina coupons - Many of the coupons you get from the catalina (the little printer next to the register) are actually manufacturer's coupons with a Shaws logo. In theory you should be able to use these anywhere but there is a chance if you try to use them at another store they won't take them because of the logo. You can not stack these with another manufacturer's coupon.

XX/XX type coupons Sometimes you can get these from the catalina machine, in the flyer, or in the mail. For example "Save $5 off your next purchase of $50 or more". These are store coupons. Sometimes they will scan these first but other times they hold them back and only scan them if your total after all other coupons meets the requirements.

OYNO catalinas - These are coupons to save $XX "off your next order". These do not have a minimum purchase requirement and are usually earned by buying certain items. These are awesome because you don't have to buy something specific to use them so you can get stuff free.

Don't forget - you can pair a Shaws store coupon with a manufacturer coupon for extra savings!

Last edited by jessl; 12-10-2009 at 11:07 AM.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to jessl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2009, 10:16 AM

Supporting Member

7. What is the shopping list and where do I find it?

The shopping list is used to match up sale items with coupons. It is put together by volunteers. You will know who they are because they have a green tag or "bling" that says "shopping list assistant" under their user name when they post.

Each drug store and grocery store that accepts coupons and has sales has a shopping list. For the Shaws one, you can find the link from the Shaws forum up above the "stickies". Here is a direct link:

Shaws - A Full Cup - Coupons

You can also go to the shopping list of any store from the drop down menu at the top of the screen. Under "Tools" there is an entry for "store shopping lists". This takes you to a list of stores with links to their shopping lists.

Note that when you go into the shopping list, you have to set your doubling preferences or else the final price will be off. There is a button to edit your preferences and you can set it up to double to 99 cents.

Another thing to note is that there are little checkboxes next to the items. You can select the ones you want to print and then click the button at the bottom of the screen to "print selected". Even if you arn't going to print it this can be helpful for narrowing down the list because it will filter out the things you aren't interested in.

If you are interested in becoming a Shopping List Assistant (or SLA) and you have at least 100 posts and have been on AFC for at least two months, you can volunteer by posting in the "Contact Us" forum:

http://www.afullcup.com/forums/contact-us/

SLAs can actually work on any shopping list. If you become an SLA and want to work on the Shaws shopping list let me know and I will send you an invite to the social group that the Shaws SLAs use to coordinate who is working on what pages of the ad.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to jessl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-11-2009, 10:21 AM

Supporting Member

8. What are the Shaws subforums for? How do I access them?

There are two "subforums"

My trip today: My Shaws Trip Today - Grocery Coupons & Deal Forums - A Full Cup
This forum is for posting about specific trips you had to Shaws. We all love to read about others savings. I find that it helps me figure out what the great deals are to see details of other peoples trips.

Shaws Scenarios: Shaws Scenarios - Grocery Coupons & Deal Forums - A Full Cup
This forum is for discussing scenarios for future trips. If there is a catalina deal where you spend a certain amount on various products and you get back a coupon off your next order there will be a lot of action in this forum as people share ideas.

You can get to the Shaws subforums with the buttons above the Shaws stickies, in the same area as the link to the Shaws shopping list.

Don't feel like clicking on three separate forums? We have a handy "All new Shaws posts" button up there too that will show you any posts you havent read yet from the main forum or the two subforums:
Grocery Coupons & Deal Forums - A Full Cup
Old 12-15-2009, 10:44 AM

Supporting Member

9. What is a Catalina? How does Shaws use them?

The short answer is that a Catalina is a coupon that prints from those little printers next to the register. They are called "Catalina" because they are made by a company called Catalina Marketing.

There are several things that may print out:
1. A coupon to save a certain amount on an item. These are usually manufacturer's coupons but will have the logo of the store you got it at on it. In theory you should be able to use it anywhere, but other stores may refuse to take them if they have a different logo. A lot of times they seem to be triggered by something you bought. If you buy one brand of cheese you may get a coupon for another brand.

2. An ad - usually for a product similar to something you bought.

3. An anouncement of an upcoming deal - such as buy item A between the following dates and get a coupon for $X.XX off your next order. If you get one of these please post about it in the Shaws forum so we all know about it. you can start your own thread or post in this one: Shaws Current (and future) Catalina deals Please include all details especially the start and ending dates.

4. A store coupon to save money off your next order. There are two types.
  • A coupon to save X.XX off X.XX (for example save $5 off an order of $50 or more)
  • A coupon to save XX.XX off any order (for example save $5 off your next order.)
The first type seem to be pretty random. Sometimes I will get one every week for a month and then nothing for a long time. As to how you use them - put them on the top of your coupon stack. You may get lucky and they scan it first. If they scan your other coupons first and your order drops too low they may refuse to take it.

The second type are usually for purchasing specific items. There might be a whole back page of the flyer that says "Spend $30 on participating items and save $15 on a future order". Or it may be a smaller deal of the type mentioned in #3 above where you bought a certain item that triggered it. Sometimes the coupon will say "Thank you for purchasing X", but other times its a mystery.

5. An invitation to take a survey.
These are pretty rare. I once got one to take a survey about breakfast products when I bought a bunch of baglefuls. I earned $5 for taking the survey!

Last edited by jessl; 12-15-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:59 AM

Supporting Member

10. How are the Spend X get X Deals Calculated? What does it mean if it "doubles" or "triples"? How do I know if it will?

Fist of all, this is in regards to the catalina deals mentioned in the previous post (question 9 type 4).

There are a lot of variations on these deals. Usually they are something like "Spend $30 on participating products and save $15 on a future order." They are often either Proctor and Gamble (P&G), General Mills (GM), or Conagra products.

The way these always work so far at Shaws is on Shlef price (also referred to as "presale price" or PSP.)
EDIT: Shaws seems to be changing these lately and they may work on sale price now

Example: The deal is spend $30 get $15. Cookie mix is on sale for 1.67 but the shelf price at your store is 2.50. You have coupons that will double for 40 cents off 1. How many do you need to buy? How much do you need to spend?

$30/2.50 = 12 items.

Amount you spend: 12 * 1.67 - (6*$0.40 X 2) - (6* $.0.40) (remember Shaws will only double 6 like coupons)
Total: $12.84 and you get back $15. Not bad!

Of course in practice you can do even better by only buying 6 of these and 6 of something else so all your coupons double.

Note: If you calculate based on shelf price and for some reason your catalina doesn't print, you may run up against the belief some Shaws personel have that it is because it is based on shelf price. They are wrong, but you may not be able to convince them. You can always return your items and try again another time.

Usually if it doesn't print it is because the catalina machine was off, or out of paper, or one of the items you bought isn't working for the deal. The items need to be programmed in by UPC code and sometimes they miss some. For example if "Betty Crocker cookie mix" is included they need to program separately chocolate chip, peanut butter, oatmeal, etc and if they miss one that one will throw you off.

Another thing to Note: Not all stores will have the same shelf price! If someone posts a deal they did, double check at your store. In the example above, if the cookies go for $2.49 at your store and you buy 12 you won't get a catalina!

Doubling or Tripling of catalina deals: Not to be confused with doubling coupons. What this means is that in the Spend $30 get $15 example above you can spend $60 and get back $30. It does not always work this way. Usually someone will try it and post if it works or not. As a general rule, P&G deals don't double but GM deals usually double or even triple.

Last edited by jessl; 08-01-2010 at 10:06 AM.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:30 AM

Supporting Member

11. What does "OYNO" mean?

"On your Next Order". this is in reference to the type of catalina deals where you can "spend $15 on select products and save $5 on a future order". The catalina that prints out is sometimes referred to here as an OYNO.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 AM

Supporting Member

12. What does "SCO" mean?

"SCO" means "Self Check-out". Many Shaws (and other stores as well) now have a self checkout lane where you scan the items yourself, bag them, scan your coupons and pay.

If you are using a lot of coupons and you go through SCO you will probably need an employee to OK the order. The reason people like using it is that they can go at their own pace, make sure all their coupons scan correctly and that everything is scanned right for a catalina deal. For example they need to hit $15 to get the catalina this way they can scan those items first and verify the total before scanning their card or other items.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:33 AM

Supporting Member

13. What does "B1G1" or "BOGO" mean?

Both of these refer to "Buy one get one free". This can be either the sale or a coupon.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:36 AM

Supporting Member

14. How can I use coupons on a Buy 1 Get 1 deal?

If an item is B1G1 and you buy two of them, you can use two coupons (or a coupon for $1/2 for example).

If an item is on sale for B1G1 and you have a B1G1 coupon you can buy 2 and use the B1G1 coupon to get them both free.

I have on occasion had a cashier refuse to take my coupons under these conditions but it should not be an issue. You pay for one of the items with a coupon and the store gets reimbursed the value of that coupon by the manufacturer.
Old 12-21-2009, 10:38 AM

Supporting Member

15. How do I contact Shaws?

Here is a link to the Contact Us page on Shaw's web site:
Contact Us

There is a form you can fill in on that page, or you can call 1-888-431-7429 (Monday - Friday, 8am - 5pm EST)

Physical Address:
Store Support Center West Center Street
750 West Center Street
West Bridgewater, MA 02379

Mailing Address:
P.O. Box 600
East Bridgewater, MA 02333
Old 12-21-2009, 10:41 AM

Supporting Member

16. How do I contact Catalina?

The number to call Catalina is: 1-888-826-8766

You can call them if you should have gotten a Catalina coupon but it didn't print.
Old 01-30-2010, 09:44 AM

Supporting Member

17: What is Shaws Raincheck policy?

Thanks to Barney95 for contacting corporate for this policy:
Link to her original thread: Shaws rain check policy

Rain Check Policy

The Rain Check Policy statement for all Shaw’s and Star Markets locations is:

"If for any reason we run out of an advertised sale item, we will be happy to offer you a Rain Check. Please contact an associate for assistance.

Our goal is to ensure that each customer leaves our store satisfied; so in order to provide exceptional customer service our Rain Check Policy must be hassle free. All stores must make every effort to satisfy any customer who is seeking a Rain Check for any advertised product that is ‘Out of Stock’.

Note: Customers that are requesting any special exceptions on their Rain Check must have it approved by the Store Director or Manager on duty. Refer the customer back to the store.

Key Rain Check Policy Points

• We will offer our customers a Rain Check for any out of stock advertised sale products.

• If an ad item is not available, you may offer the customer a substitute that is comparable or better than the out-of-stock advertised item and for the current sale price. The customer must decide whether they want the Rain Check or the substitution item.

• Rain Checks are to be stocked and issued at the Customer Service Center ONLY.

? Rain Check stock must be removed from all departments and checkstands.

? Old Rain Check supplies must be properly disposed of and replaced with new stock and signage.

• The customer is not required to, but may include their name and phone number on the Rain Check in order to allow the store to contact them when the item(s) is in stock.

• While the customer receives the "White" copy, the Service Operation Manager/Office Coordinator must distribute the "yellow" copies of issued Rain Checks to the appropriate department managers daily.

• All out of stock Rain Checks must be reviewed by Department Managers daily.

? Review current Rain Check ‘Out-of Stock’ items and order the product if necessary.

? Review past Rain Check ‘Out-of Stock’ items for product availability and notify the customer if a phone number is listed on the Rain Check.

? Communicate advertised ‘Out of Stock’ items to store associates and post ‘Out of Stock’ signs at the advertised product location(s).

• Stores must post the current advertisement(s) applicable to the store, which shall include a statement of the Rain Check Policy.

? The Rain Check Policy shall be clearly posted in each store.

? Post a copy on the store Ad Board, in each department, at each checkstand and on the store communication board.

• Rain Checks have an expiration date of thirty (30) days from the issued date.

? The Store Director or Manger on Duty must be called to approve any request to re-issue a Rain Check if the advertised ‘Out of Stock’ product listed is still not available and the Rain Check is due to expire.

? The Store Director or Manger on Duty must be called to approve any request to use a Rain Check past the expiration date of thirty (30) days.

• Rain Checks can not be issued for advertised item(s) that are ad specified: "While Supplies Last".

• Cashiers are to turn in all redeemed Rain Checks (white copy) via the till bag, and bookkeepers are to distribute them amongst the appropriate department managers daily.

If you need further assistance please contact us by phone at 1-877-932-7948 or via email.

Sincerely,

Antonio C.
Shaws Customer Care
Closed Thread