Did You Know That They Don't Have To Scan $5/$25 First?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2010, 05:30 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

boilerchick has posted more than 100 good deals!boilerchick has posted more than 100 good deals!
Fyi Did you know that they don't have to scan $5/$25 first?

I've been surprised to find out that the cashier does not actually have to scan the $5/$25 coupon first. On a couple of occasions they have scanned my other coupons first and then scanned by $5/$25 when my total was well below $25, and it still took off $5!! I'm not sure if it's simply coded to take off $5 and the computer doesn't check for the total at all, or if the computer knows that your pre-coupon total was greater than $25. I thought this might be helpful info if you run into to a difficult cashier who says "I'll take them if they scan." Well, they can scan it last, and it will still work.

Has anyone else noticed this? (I don't think it could be a fluke, because it happened twice.)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boilerchick For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 09-22-2010, 06:09 PM

RE: Did you know that they don't have to scan $5/$25 first?

skylit19 has posted more than 400 great deals!skylit19 has posted more than 400 great deals!skylit19 has posted more than 400 great deals!skylit19 has posted more than 400 great deals!skylit19 has posted more than 400 great deals!
You must be lucky...I bought some duracell batteries on clearance a few weeks ago that had a RA coupon attached to them that I coupled with a manu q....but at any rate, the cashier scanned those RA q's first (he peeled them off the package and scanned them just after scanning each set of batteries...) and it brought my total below $25 so he scanned my $5/25 q and it beeped at him. I had to add some Orbitz gum to my order to get me back up over 25 so it would scan.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:12 PM

cster44 has posted more than 50 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerchick View Post
I've been surprised to find out that the cashier does not actually have to scan the $5/$25 coupon first. On a couple of occasions they have scanned my other coupons first and then scanned by $5/$25 when my total was well below $25, and it still took off $5!! I'm not sure if it's simply coded to take off $5 and the computer doesn't check for the total at all, or if the computer knows that your pre-coupon total was greater than $25. I thought this might be helpful info if you run into to a difficult cashier who says "I'll take them if they scan." Well, they can scan it last, and it will still work.

Has anyone else noticed this? (I don't think it could be a fluke, because it happened twice.)
I had a really bad experience with this at my local Rite Aid. I gave the cashier my coupon at the end of the transaction, and she refused to take it because she insisted that it had to be scanned a the beginning of all coupons. I knew that it would still scan because my items were clearly $25 BEFORE any coupons, and it had worked before. She called over a 'supervisor' who argued with me that it wouldn't work, and that it had to be scanned before any coupons. I asked her if she would take it if it scanned, and she said 'Yes, but it won't scan'. I begged her to at least try, and she finally did - and it DID work. I said I would be calling corporate to find out what the policy is, and guess what? When I called corporate, I was very surprised that the customer service rep. said 'Yes, that is correct. The $5/$25 coupon must be given first, or the cashier may decline it.' Oh, and the sad part is when I asked the cashier if she could 'void' the transaction, and re-ring it with the $5/$25 first, she told me 'no' because she already scanned the (manufacturer & Up Reward) coupons, and they would not scan a 2nd time. I didn't think that was true??? Anyway, just so I am not hassled, I remember to give the $ off Rite Aid coupon first.
The Following User Says Thank You to cster44 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 06:16 PM

star18 has posted more than 100 good deals!star18 has posted more than 100 good deals!
I've had it scan at any time, first, last, and I think I've read on here it does for others too.

Or if it doesn't scan the manager will just enter -$5 at the end.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
redwor has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!redwor has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!redwor has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!redwor has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!redwor has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!redwor has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Yes, I had this happen to me. When I made my purchase, I specifically put the $5/25 coupon on top of the pile. The cashier deliberately scanned all my other coupons first (it seems like she was picking and choosing which one to scan), and then when she came to the last coupon (the $5/25 coupon), she handed it back to me saying she couldn't take it because the total was below the limit. I politely reminded her that my total before coupons was way above the limit and it should have worked. I even read the fine print and it didn't say anything to the effect that it had to be $25 after all other coupons. She called a manager over and luckily he told her to just scan it and it went through even though the total was below the $25 limit. Made my day!
The Following User Says Thank You to redwor For This Useful Post:
Old 09-22-2010, 06:42 PM

just...

My Mood/Status:
SaucyDee has posted more than 200 great deals!SaucyDee has posted more than 200 great deals!SaucyDee has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by boilerchick View Post

I had this happen to me on Monday actually.. I ws worried it wouldn't go through as she had scanned other coupons and the total was maybe around $10 now and it went through!
Old 09-23-2010, 02:24 AM

Shopping

My Mood/Status:
cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cindia86 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
She was right, Becuase the ups were already scanned they wont go through again. That is why I always hold off on mine till I make sure everything was done correctly
Old 09-23-2010, 09:10 AM

My Mood/Status:
hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!hermashaw has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I always hand mine first. The other day i was in a hurry and just handed them the stack and they scanned that last. It worked then too. BUT I have to say, I know one mang at my RA would give me a hard time if My total wasn't $25 when that Q was scanned. So I always hand it first period.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
& Ladybug(4)
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-23-2010, 11:00 AM

Veronicaclare has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Veronicaclare has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Veronicaclare has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Veronicaclare has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Veronicaclare has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Veronicaclare has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Veronicaclare has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I had this happen to me several times also.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:18 PM

My Mood/Status:
gam3rchic has posted more than 75 good deals!
darn wish i knew that today! I forgot to hand it first and my total had fallen below 25 so i asked if she could undo my order LOL! She did void it and started over. Such a nice and patient cashier!
Old 09-23-2010, 12:24 PM

devinesl has posted more than 200 great deals!devinesl has posted more than 200 great deals!devinesl has posted more than 200 great deals!
I wish I had known this when the cashier refused to take it because she said it had to be $25 after coupons were taken off, otherwise "Rite Aid would lose too much money."
Old 09-23-2010, 12:28 PM

is wishing my son would listen to me!!!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by redwor View Post
Yes, I had this happen to me. When I made my purchase, I specifically put the $5/25 coupon on top of the pile. The cashier deliberately scanned all my other coupons first (it seems like she was picking and choosing which one to scan), and then when she came to the last coupon (the $5/25 coupon), she handed it back to me saying she couldn't take it because the total was below the limit. I politely reminded her that my total before coupons was way above the limit and it should have worked. I even read the fine print and it didn't say anything to the effect that it had to be $25 after all other coupons. She called a manager over and luckily he told her to just scan it and it went through even though the total was below the $25 limit. Made my day!
I have had this happen to me also except they did scan the coupon and it went through. I want to say though that i have emailed customer service about their policy of accepting the $5/25 before other coupons. The policy states it is to be used before but i wanted to clarify. So next time make them rering the order because she should take the $5/$25 first, not the coupons and then decide not to take it.
Old 09-23-2010, 12:32 PM

is wishing my son would listen to me!!!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Devins mom has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by devinesl View Post
I wish I had known this when the cashier refused to take it because she said it had to be $25 after coupons were taken off, otherwise "Rite Aid would lose too much money."
That is untrue here is piece of their coupon policy about money off coupons.

Total Purchase Coupons

o Total purchase equals or exceeds $25 before tax (before any coupons are applied).
Maybe you should print out a copy of their policy to take with you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Devins mom For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 04:16 PM

renu has posted more than 25 good deals
my store cashiers always scan it in the last, just to get a chance to refuse the coupon. But it scans fine.
Old 09-24-2010, 11:23 PM

My Mood/Status:
mycouponlady88 has posted more than 400 great deals!mycouponlady88 has posted more than 400 great deals!mycouponlady88 has posted more than 400 great deals!mycouponlady88 has posted more than 400 great deals!mycouponlady88 has posted more than 400 great deals!
I always hand my coupons in order. I use the $5/25. Then I hand over the MQ's, then any RAQs. I always hand over my Ups last just because they can't be scanned a 2nd time if the transaction goes wrong. This has happened a couple times when I've had to come up with purchases on the fly and can't think all they way through to the subtotal!
The Following User Says Thank You to mycouponlady88 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-24-2010, 11:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
areinard has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!areinard has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!areinard has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!areinard has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!areinard has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!areinard has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!areinard has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!areinard has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!areinard has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!areinard has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!areinard has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I always put this coupon on top, but some cashiers separate the coupons and match them to the items and do those first..I've had no problems w/ them scanning the 5/25 and such after my total has dropped below the required amount. I have read that the video values and wellness + coupons come off pretty easily, they just automatically deduct the amount and it's up to the cashier to make sure the right items are there to use it.