What Do You Reuse / Repurpose?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2013, 03:32 AM

RE: What do you reuse / repurpose?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

janniwanni54 has posted more than 5 good deals
I reuse cottage cheese and dip containers to freeze my garden produce in.

The plastic bag inside cereal boxes is great for breading fish for frying. Just put bread crumbs in, add your egg dipped fish, close and shake. If I have bread crumbs left over, I put the bag in the freezer until next time I need it.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to janniwanni54 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-14-2014, 08:39 AM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by sar1 View Post
I save the little plastic cups from fruit cups / applesauce cups. Mostly I keep a stack of them with the kids' bowls and plates and use them at snack time. I also use them for liquid glue and paints, or water for watercolor paints during craft time. I've put them in a muffin tin and filled them with homemade sidewalk chalk paint (cornstarch, water, food coloring). Makes carrying it all outside a lot easier and then the cups don't get knocked over when they're using them.
I use these as dog food bowls. I can portion out several days in advance. I started doing this when we had a friend staying to watch the dogs. With her crew and ours we had six hungry Chihuahuas when she would get home from work. She said that not having to take the extra time to portion the food in the morning or when she got home was very helpful. I tried it and found I liked the convenience too.

Since everyone gets a different portion size, I colored the top rim with sharpies. Each dog has an assigned color based on their collar color.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-14-2014, 09:17 AM

pilesoflaundry has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!pilesoflaundry has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!pilesoflaundry has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!pilesoflaundry has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!pilesoflaundry has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!pilesoflaundry has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!pilesoflaundry has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!pilesoflaundry has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I have plastic magazine holders under my sink and in the tupperware cabinet to organize things better. Under the kitchen sink boxes of foil, saran wrap and wax paper are standing up in one and another one holds sponges and mr. clean erasers. In the tupperware cabinet I have two full of lids. I can always find the lid now.
Old 01-24-2014, 08:35 PM

dejacharde has posted more than 50 good deals
  • I save empty ketchup bottles for when I make pancakes or funnel cakes.
  • Keep the clamp from broken pants hangers to use as a chips or cereal bag clip.
  • My chest type deep freezer recent died. I will now use it to store my dog's food. Can be used for garden supplies (potting soil, pots, etc.).
  • Use bread tabs to label the multiple power cords plugged into the surge protector under my desk. When I decide to replace or move something, I know which one to unplug.
  • Use bread tabs to save your place on a roll of tape.
  • Use toilet paper cores to store extra cords. Label the core.
  • Cut open toilet paper cores to use as a cuff to keep wrapping paper from unrolling.
  • Use an old cd spindle as a bagel tote.
  • Soda tabs can be used to offset hangers & save space in your closet.
  • Don't pay $50 to clean your hazy headlights. Toothpaste will do the same trick.
Just a few I could think of.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dejacharde For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2014, 11:47 AM

My Mood/Status:
Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilesoflaundry View Post
I have plastic magazine holders under my sink and in the tupperware cabinet to organize things better. Under the kitchen sink boxes of foil, saran wrap and wax paper are standing up in one and another one holds sponges and mr. clean erasers. In the tupperware cabinet I have two full of lids. I can always find the lid now.
I just saw cute magazine holders at the Target dollar spot. But could not remember what I wanted them for!! This is why. Lol

Do I owe you feedback?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Please pm me to lmk.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Livml For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2014, 11:51 AM

My Mood/Status:
Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Livml has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dejacharde View Post
[*]I save empty ketchup bottles for when I make pancakes or funnel cakes.[*]Keep the clamp from broken pants hangers to use as a chips or cereal bag clip.[*]My chest type deep freezer recent died. I will now use it to store my dog's food. Can be used for garden supplies (potting soil, pots, etc.).[*]Use bread tabs to label the multiple power cords plugged into the surge protector under my desk. When I decide to replace or move something, I know which one to unplug.[*]Use bread tabs to save your place on a roll of tape.[*]Use toilet paper cores to store extra cords. Label the core.[*]Cut open toilet paper cores to use as a cuff to keep wrapping paper from unrolling.[*]Use an old cd spindle as a bagel tote.[*]Soda tabs can be used to offset hangers & save space in your closet.[*]Don't pay $50 to clean your hazy headlights. Toothpaste will do the same trick.

Just a few I could think of.
Wow! Nice. I just saw the soda tabs idea on a blog...I think from an Oprah dotcom email. And what is a bagel tote? ?

Do I owe you feedback?
Please pm me to lmk.
The Following User Says Thank You to Livml For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2014, 02:42 PM

My Mood/Status:
bunches67 has posted more than 200 great deals!bunches67 has posted more than 200 great deals!bunches67 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I reuse a empty Dawn Dish Foam container and refill it with my own homemade copycat recipe...the container has to be at least 6-yrs old now.

I reuse empty 20-oz sida botlles to refill them with soda I bought on sale.

I save all my bacon fat in a canning jar..so as to always have it to use in my cast iron skillets for cooking with as well as to season the pans.

I refill empty clean 2-liter bottles with water that is stacked in our mudroom that we use for flushing the toilet when we loose power..also have them near my Berkey water filter as backup if we loose power.

Reuse empty food containers to store leftovers in.

Save pieces of used aluminum foil to be used again.

Reuse empty laundry detergent bottles to refill with my homemade laundry soap.

Reused a old storage tote to house baby chicks.

Save the bags from the inside of cereal bags to use when I pound chicken breast into thin pieces.

Save the caps to the parmesan container to fit a regular size canning jars.

Save old spice jars( only if i can get the smell out) to refill with my own dried herbs from my garden.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bunches67 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2014, 04:45 PM

dejacharde has posted more than 50 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by Livml View Post
Wow! Nice. I just saw the soda tabs idea on a blog...I think from an Oprah dotcom email. And what is a bagel tote? ?
I can't post a link or an image. (post count not high enough, ) But, you can google it. It should show a few images.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dejacharde For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2014, 06:42 AM

Back and ready to save money!
Supporting Member

rach has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rach has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rach has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rach has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rach has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rach has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rach has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rach has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rach has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rach has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!rach has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
great thread!

Anyone have any ideas to use bagged potpurri besides its usual purpose? it doesn't have much scent anymore, but I could use oils.

I've looked online and only see as a filler in a vase with a candle.
The Following User Says Thank You to rach For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2014, 07:15 AM

Happiness is...puppy kisses x2!

My Mood/Status:
StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
[list][*]Cut open toilet paper cores to use as a cuff to keep wrapping paper from unrolling.

You are my hero! I'll be doing this today!

I use the empty tp rolls to store those little six foot extension cords.

Empty pt rolls are perfect for using in your utensil drawer to hold tongs.

Empty spice containers and parm cheese containers get recycled by hubs for screws and other little things on his work truck.

Old Tooth brushes for cleaning is a no brainer.

Not much, but it's all I could think of off the top of my head!

2014 in 2014 current total: 430 down, 1584 to go!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to StLouisClipper For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2014, 10:20 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
I can't post a link or an image. (post count not high enough, ) But, you can google it. It should show a few images.
I just googled it. Brilliant!!! As a native New Yorker, bagels are a must. I gotta do this. Although.... I dont think I have any cd spindles!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Livml For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2014, 10:22 AM

My Mood/Status:
Got this in an email today:

Products That Pull Extra Shifts | Clever Ways to Reuse Your Kitchen Trash | This Old House

I thought of this thread and wanted to share. Im new to Pinterest, and they have soo many ideas too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Livml For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 08:09 AM

jandkbrooke has posted more than 200 great deals!jandkbrooke has posted more than 200 great deals!jandkbrooke has posted more than 200 great deals!
[quote=LizzyBizzy;5469844]We use empty tissue boxes as little trash cans and fill them up with used tissues. Great idea when someone is sick or has allergies and the tissues are flying fast and furious!

I also put an empty tissue box in the car to catch snack wrappers, tissues and other trash and then just throw the whole box into the trash and put a new empty box in the car for more travel trash!
The Following User Says Thank You to jandkbrooke For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2014, 08:19 AM

Spring, spring, spring!

My Mood/Status:
Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Quazel has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
There are tons of uses for empty tissue boxes! I love the car idea!. DS has had a runny nose, I'm sure a box will be available soon !

I have a fairly small shelf in my bathroom. I use a box (the longer, flatter box) for my daily use hair accessories. I have another for toothbrushes (unused ones), I have one by my desk with random office supplies.

I have also used baby wipes containers for lots of this stuff as well. I also use baby wipes containers for DS' smaller toys.

Oh, oh!!! Combining ideas!! Tonight I will grab a baby wipes box and throw some of DS' cars and trains in it. I'll keep the box in the car for those random times we end up without toys. Woohoo!
and wife to C, the most caring man in the world

Positive Thoughts

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Quazel For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2014, 01:32 PM

victoria0284 has posted more than 200 great deals!victoria0284 has posted more than 200 great deals!victoria0284 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Great thread. Know what do I do...

Old tissues boxes hold plastic grocery bags.
Grocery bag triple as small trash can liners litter maid bin linners and lunch bags (I keep try to get DH to use reuseable lunch bags but that is a work in progress)
Plastic containers hold grease dripping to be thrown away later.
Newspaper to wrap fragile Christmas decorations.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to victoria0284 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-20-2014, 02:40 PM

kalderete has posted more than 300 great deals!kalderete has posted more than 300 great deals!kalderete has posted more than 300 great deals!kalderete has posted more than 300 great deals!
Glass jars for any non-canning storage and sometimes freezing.
Just this past month, lots of food containers, anything that would make a good seed-starting planter - so far I saved my kids' goldfish crackers small container, salad/strawberry clamshells for an all-in one ready to go seed starter kit b/c the lid will be a greenhouse, and gallon milk bottles for greenhouse tops.
Huggies wipes containers are perfect for storing small things.
The Following User Says Thank You to kalderete For This Useful Post:
Old 03-01-2014, 02:32 PM

Groundless

My Mood/Status:
defrtgd43d has posted more than 10 good deals
These are the things that I save to reuse:

* orange peelings
* gift wrapping paper
* gift bags
* tissue paper
* bows
* ribbon
* cardboard boxes
* packaging peanuts
* bubble wrap
* plastic air cushions and inflatable packaging
* zip lock bags
* twist ties
* straws
* restaurant & fast food napkins
* restaurant & fast food condiments i.e. honey butter, barbecue sauce, tartar sauce, taco sauce, ketchup, maple syrup, etc.
* spray bottles i.e. hair detangler, Infusium 23, Febreze, etc.
* liquid soap pumps i.e. soft soap
* milk jugs
* plastic food containers with lids i.e. cottage cheese, yogurt, rice pudding, French onion dip, cool whip, margarine, deli desert salad, deli chicken salad, deli potato salad, deli macaroni salad, raw cookie dough, peanut butter, apple sauce, laundry detergent and fabric softener bottles to store liquid homemade DIY laundry detergent and fabric softener
* plastic baby wipes containers
* one gallon ice cream buckets
* five gallon buckets
* plastic and brown paper bags
* 40 gal black trash bags that contain coke cans. Once cans have been recycled the "used" 40 gal black trash bags are used to line trash can.
* unused business envelopes
* "used" computer paper for "scrap" paper
* shredded office paper and/or news paper to line cat litter boxes and/or pans
* buttons from old/damaged/out-grown clothes
* denim from old/damaged jeans to tailor into patches
* out-grown jeans to tailor into shorts
* old/damaged towels to tailor into kitchen wash rags
* fabric/cloth scrapes for quilting squares
* old pillow cases to wash delicate fabrics and plush stuffed toys
* plastic hangers that come with the clothes that you buy
* 3-tier/4-tier/5-tier pants hanger as belt organizer
* 3-tier/4-tier/5-tier pants hanger as scrunchie, elastic band, ponytail holder, ponytail twister, & bun organizer.
* shower curtain rings as elastic band organizer i.e. one ring per color to keeps colors separated
* towel rack or curtain rod to store pot lids
* towel rack or curtain rod under sink to hang cleaners on
* two litter bottle as a plastic bag holder
* crochet plastic bags into one new bag (check out FreeCouponingOnline's post)
No plastic bags

Last edited by defrtgd43d; 03-03-2014 at 01:14 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to defrtgd43d For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2015, 06:36 PM

My Mood/Status:
Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I do most of what is already printed plus sooooo much more. I always look at things and see what secondary use they offer. We ended up stopping trash pick up because we had so little trash each week. We go to dump once a month or two now.
I use old tooth bushes for scrubbing. We use old t shirts and any other clothing for rags. I cut them in half paper towel size rarely use paper towels. Use lots dish towels and cloth napkins too. I also cut buttons off before cut up and reuse. I use rags that arent that great for cleaning to line cats beds out side.
I also reuse envelope that come in mail for coupon filing, coupon lists and to mail stuff I just put stickers over the lines and names.
People give me their old address labels and I cut the cute corner off and use for stickers.
I reuse coolwhip, cottage cheese and ect container for people to take home food in so I don't have to worry about getting my dishes back. My favorite reusable plastics are the KFC gravy container and gerber little two pack. They are great for my lunch I reuse them over and over.
I wash and reuse the plastic cups you get from Starbucks and such. I also wash and reuse the little ocean spray juice bottles to fill with water to take in lunch or car.
I reuse egg cartons cardboard, lint and old candles to make fire starters. So easy and everyone loves them.
I put shredded paper from shredder in compost in garden
Save bags from grocery store to line trash cans as well vegetable bags to line my meats when i freeze them for extra protection.
I also use reusable grocery bags too
I use perfume sample paper you get in magazines in my bathroom trash cans.
I use old metalic mylar balloons like a gift bag or gift wrap. I have also used comics, and clothing for gift wrap.
My coupon box is an old diaper wipe container.
I fill old milk cartons with water and freeze to use for ice when go to park or camping and also when go in town for grocery shopping.
i ruse boxes to mail packages anything from cereal boxes to large boxes.
I reuse gift bags and bows.
I put the ashes from fireplace , coffee grounds in flower garden.
I put a bucket in shower to collect water while it heats up. then put it on flowers.
i pass my grand kids clothes onto to friends as they out grow them. My friend give me their kids toys as their kids out grow them. They then get passed on.
I fix things instead throw away. for example I have a blow up pool for kids that amazingly lasted all summer last year. It had a little leak in bottom.I patched it with electrical tape haha. it worked. I had nothing to loose. After the kids play in the pool I drain it into the flower beds.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Pilothillcoupons For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2015, 07:06 AM

Life is good!

2015 YTD Savings: $9370
My Mood/Status:
nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Egg Shells for Homemade Calcium Powder. Makes a low-cost, more easily digestible Calcium Supplement than coated Oyster Shell Calcium Supplements, imperceptible taste in a large 12 oz drink/smoothie.

1). Save Egg Shells in the refrigerator until I have a Dozen or so.
2). Boil for 10 minutes.
3). Cool, stick in a Coffee Grinder or Ninja Blender until a very fine Calcium Powder.
4). It makes a Powder, refrigerate in a pint Mason Jar for up to 3 months, put expiration date on top of the Mason Jar with tape.
5). Mix 1 Teaspoon in liquid= Calcium 1,000mg.
6). 1.5 Teaspoons=1,500 mg is what I take daily mixed in a Smoothie before bed, it makes me too relaxed to take during the day.

Can also use the Egg Shell Powder & make a Dolomite Mix in Potting Soil, breaks down much more quickly than just broken up Egg Shells.

Last edited by nowpoints; 07-23-2015 at 08:45 AM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nowpoints For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2015, 07:50 AM

Life is good!

2015 YTD Savings: $9370
My Mood/Status:
nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
1). Use 5lb Cottage Cheese Containers for bulk stockpile sale items like:
Granulated Sugar & Brown Sugar, Popcorn, Flour, Himalayan Pink Salt, Oatmeal, Beans & Lentils.

2). Wash & reuse Ziplock Slider Bags.

3). Gallon Dawn Jugs of "Double Strength Dawn" & 9oz Dawn bottles.
At CashNCarry Restaurant Supply, buy One Gallon containers of: "Dawn Heavy Duty Restaurant Pots & Pans Formula". It's considered a double-strength Dawn. (We wait until it's on sale for $10/Reg.$13.79 & dilute it 50% to make it the Regular Dawn Strength for $0.05 cents per ounce).

Last edited by nowpoints; 07-20-2015 at 08:58 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to nowpoints For This Useful Post:
Old 07-20-2015, 09:41 AM

jangpost

My Mood/Status:
jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Friends saved wine bottles for me. I took the labels off by soaking in Dawn and very hot water, then used them as a border in my garden. I turned them upside down and pounded them into the ground with a rubber mallet at various heights. The blue ones are the prettiest, but when the sun shines on them they all sparkle and give off a beautiful glow.

I also use gallon milk jugs for over winter planting. If I happen to purchase a bakery item and the plastic has a 6 in the recycle sign, I use it to make Shrinky Dinks with the grand kids or to make embellishments for art projects.

About 12 years ago I purchased 16 oz bottles of computer ink in red, blue, yellow and black and have refilled the same cartridges. My initial investment was around $50. The company I deal with also sells empty cartridges and things that help fill them. I can't even imagine how much money I have saved in those 12 years, and most bottles have about half the ink left in them.

I also use the Hillshire farm lunch meat containers for leftovers. I started my button collection when a huge donation of clothing came in at our church and about half or more was stained or too outdated to give away. All the fur collars off the coats went to the dress up closet, and all the buttons into a large glass jar. I have taken advantage of doing a little work, which is really a joy for me to do, to clean up after a garage sale and pull out those icky clothes that really shouldn't have been there in the first place. I now have at least 20 quart mason jars full of buttons.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:58 AM

jangpost

My Mood/Status:
jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jangpost has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rach View Post
great thread!

Anyone have any ideas to use bagged potpurri besides its usual purpose? it doesn't have much scent anymore, but I could use oils.

I've looked online and only see as a filler in a vase with a candle.

You can use the larger items in the potpourri to make a garland. I used a needle large enough to thread crochet thread through it and sew through the middle of each piece.
Old 07-20-2015, 12:43 PM

mackenziec314 has posted more than 25 good deals
Quote:
Originally Posted by nowpoints View Post
Egg Shells for Homemade Calcium Powder.

Learned while a student missionary nurse in Central America way back in the 1980's! Makes a low-cost, more easily digestible Calcium Supplement than coated Oyster Shell Calcium Supplements, imperceptible taste in a large 12 oz drink/smoothie.

1). Save Egg Shells in the refrigerator until I have a Dozen or so.
2). Boil for 10 minutes.
3). Cool, stick in a Coffee Grinder or Ninja Blender until a very fine Calcium Powder.
4). It makes a Powder, refrigerate in a pint Mason Jar for up to 3 months, put expiration date on top of the Mason Jar with tape.
5). Mix 1 Teaspoon in liquid= Calcium 1,000mg.
6). 1.5 Teaspoons=1,500 mg is what I take daily mixed in a Smoothie before bed, it makes me too relaxed to take during the day.

Can also use the Egg Shell Powder & make a Dolomite Mix in Potting Soil, breaks down much more quickly than just broken up Egg Shells.
Wow, that's amazing! I am learning so many awesome and neat things from this thread!
Old 07-21-2015, 05:02 AM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jangpost
Friends saved wine bottles for me. I took the labels off by soaking in Dawn and very hot water, then used them as a border in my garden. I turned them upside down and pounded them into the ground with a rubber mallet at various heights. The blue ones are the prettiest, but when the sun shines on them they all sparkle and give off a beautiful glow. I also use gallon milk jugs for over winter planting. If I happen to purchase a bakery item and the plastic has a 6 in the recycle sign, I use it to make Shrinky Dinks with the grand kids or to make embellishments for art projects. About 12 years ago I purchased 16 oz bottles of computer ink in red, blue, yellow and black and have refilled the same cartridges. My initial investment was around $50. The company I deal with also sells empty cartridges and things that help fill them. I can't even imagine how much money I have saved in those 12 years, and most bottles have about half the ink left in them. I also use the Hillshire farm lunch meat containers for leftovers. I started my button collection when a huge donation of clothing came in at our church and about half or more was stained or too outdated to give away. All the fur collars off the coats went to the dress up closet, and all the buttons into a large glass jar. I have taken advantage of doing a little work, which is really a joy for me to do, to clean up after a garage sale and pull out those icky clothes that really shouldn't have been there in the first place. I now have at least 20 quart mason jars full of buttons.
I love that wine bottle idea.

Old 07-22-2015, 12:20 PM

My Mood/Status:
Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Pilothillcoupons has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
WHY do you save orange peels? Compost? or do you make candy bitter orange or why so curious haah

Quote:
Originally Posted by defrtgd43d View Post
These are the things that I save to reuse:

* orange peelings
* gift wrapping paper
* gift bags
* tissue paper
* bows
* ribbon
* cardboard boxes
* packaging peanuts
* bubble wrap
* plastic air cushions and inflatable packaging
* zip lock bags
* twist ties
* straws
* restaurant & fast food napkins
* restaurant & fast food condiments i.e. honey butter, barbecue sauce, tartar sauce, taco sauce, ketchup, maple syrup, etc.
* spray bottles i.e. hair detangler, Infusium 23, Febreze, etc.
* liquid soap pumps i.e. soft soap
* milk jugs
* plastic food containers with lids i.e. cottage cheese, yogurt, rice pudding, French onion dip, cool whip, margarine, deli desert salad, deli chicken salad, deli potato salad, deli macaroni salad, raw cookie dough, peanut butter, apple sauce, laundry detergent and fabric softener bottles to store liquid homemade DIY laundry detergent and fabric softener
* plastic baby wipes containers
* one gallon ice cream buckets
* five gallon buckets
* plastic and brown paper bags
* 40 gal black trash bags that contain coke cans. Once cans have been recycled the "used" 40 gal black trash bags are used to line trash can.
* unused business envelopes
* "used" computer paper for "scrap" paper
* shredded office paper and/or news paper to line cat litter boxes and/or pans
* buttons from old/damaged/out-grown clothes
* denim from old/damaged jeans to tailor into patches
* out-grown jeans to tailor into shorts
* old/damaged towels to tailor into kitchen wash rags
* fabric/cloth scrapes for quilting squares
* old pillow cases to wash delicate fabrics and plush stuffed toys
* plastic hangers that come with the clothes that you buy
* 3-tier/4-tier/5-tier pants hanger as belt organizer
* 3-tier/4-tier/5-tier pants hanger as scrunchie, elastic band, ponytail holder, ponytail twister, & bun organizer.
* shower curtain rings as elastic band organizer i.e. one ring per color to keeps colors separated
* towel rack or curtain rod to store pot lids
* towel rack or curtain rod under sink to hang cleaners on
* two litter bottle as a plastic bag holder
* crochet plastic bags into one new bag (check out FreeCouponingOnline's post)
No plastic bags