Delete

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-07-2011, 06:13 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
It both can and can't be frugal. With some things you will spend more on fabric than the finished product. Example I bought 50" by 84" curtain panels for $14.99 each from kohls. There is almost no way I could have gotten this fabric for $5 a yard plus pay for the metal grommets and thread. The execption to this can be sales, auctions , and coupons.

Joanne fabrics often puts out 50% off coupon that are good on fabric.

But where it will be frugal is repairs and alterations. Like at target right now you can use the $5 plus sized apparel coupon and probably get an item free. If you can sew you can alter it to your own size. Fixing items to get more use is also great.

I haven't used a lot of newer machines. I have only really used one from the 60s and 90s (I am 27 hehe). The newer ones have a lot of features. I would rather have a tougher older machine than a fancy plastic one.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ladygodiva02 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-07-2011, 06:14 PM

RE: delete

ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Oh and I have been sewing on a machine for about 10 years...not every month but I am somewhat proficient. I still don't like putting zippers in...I mess them up.
The Following User Says Thank You to ladygodiva02 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 05:58 PM

snmhxf has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!snmhxf has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!snmhxf has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!snmhxf has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!snmhxf has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!snmhxf has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!snmhxf has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!snmhxf has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I think sewing cost a lot of money actually.. you really have to calculate if its worth it.. often times with sales/coupons its cheaper to buy the product than to sew it. Here is an example:

Fleece Medium size Dog Bed @ Walmart $12

DIY
1 Yard Fleece $5
1 large bag stuffing $8
Thread - a few cents

So really it would be just as cost effective for me to buy it.. there are of course ways to save money with it but you have to remember it cost money and if its not something you will stick with- I would suggest trying to use a friends machine first and see if its even your thing..

I do have a sewing machine but I use it for my business which involves sewing straight lines :P
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snmhxf For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 08:43 PM

trying to plan the wknd shopping!

My Mood/Status:
plagioia13 has posted more than 100 good deals!plagioia13 has posted more than 100 good deals!
I bought my 3rd sewing machine on black Friday I returned the first ones because I got frustrated - but it's been less than three weeks and I've made 4 pillows 2 purses 1 hobo bag and 1 waist pouch, and I just made a starchy pencil skirt I advise to buy fabric when they are in the clearance section and use the 25% discount in Joann also any clothes you're planning on throwing away save it for scraps and for filling I buy the ikea pillows $1 .... Good luck
Old 12-08-2011, 08:51 PM

Location: Ava, Missouri.... a teeney tiny town in Southwestern MO
My Mood/Status:
ItalianPrincess1984 has posted more than 150 good deals!ItalianPrincess1984 has posted more than 150 good deals!
I have been sewing on and off for about 15 years. Hubby got me a new sewing machine for Christmas last year and I just got done making a recital dress for my 11yo and I'm working on one for my 7yo. All for under $30.00. They are both floor length satin princessy dresses. No way could I have bought those for less. I use mine for everything, plus I save all the kids tshirts from their extracurricular activities and make them quilts with them. I agree with a previous poster though. I HATE ZIPPERS!!!! LOL ;-)
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ItalianPrincess1984 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 08:57 PM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
My mom sewed ALOT when I was little, I learned to mend things and that was about it. It has helped same money on the mending and recently I started sewing things and taking to craft shows, I have made a few hundred dollars maybe over 500, from my sewing. It depends on what you do and how much time it takes you, and if you buy your supplies on sale. I've gotten to where I buy threads and some fabric at thrift stores and definitely use coupons at Michaels, Joann's and Hobby Lobby. If we can ever get prego then I'll prob make most/all of our cloth diapers and I have some other ideas for sewing projects to sell. The machine I got was just a cheapy Singer at Target and it's worked well so far, my only problems with it are operator error, and as I learn more I have less and less of those.

One thing to remind you sewers, when you start your machine on it's first stitching of a project, make sure to hold both tails/ends of thread. I thought I'd bought a machine that was bad cuz it kept binding up, but when I hope my tails I have no problems.
The Following User Says Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 09:16 PM

My Mood/Status:
gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!gdaniel5 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have been sewing for decades...my Mom is an expert seamstress and has owned a business making custom window treatments/pillows; in addition to an alterations business and she is 91 years old! she is still doing the alterations for people by the way...if you are into the really high end type of decorating; making your own custom items is WAY cheaper but for most people; going to places like kohls/targets is way cheaper than making your own..and fabrics are so different now with all the cheap imports we're getting...I've sewn on Singers and other commercial brands for years but last year I bought a Brother Runway Edition and I LOVE that machine...you can watch Youtube and see how to thread it by the way and it has computerized stitches, etc..sews like a charm and was less than $150!
I enjoy being able to make a custom item myself so that is why I sew at times...and I used to make all my clothing when i was younger (and thinner) simply to avoid looking like everyone else at school...but in all honesty, I cannot say sewing is a frugal idea when you consider costs of materials, etc..for the average person.
The Following User Says Thank You to gdaniel5 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2011, 09:26 PM

Trying to be a Proverbs 31 woman

My Mood/Status:
brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have a hand-me-down machine, but it gets the job done. I took a beginner's class early this year, and it helped a lot. I mostly make things for my kids--pillowcase dresses, simple skirts, PJ pants, etc. My only great achievement thus far was my daughter's Halloween costume. She wanted to be Belle, but I didn't want a cookie cutter costume and couldn't spend $50. I made a pattern myself, made the dress, and we loved it. One of a kind! I only spent $12, and I still have lots of fabric & thread left. I'm thinking I might make a duplicate dress for her Build-a-Bear.

I buy a lot of scrap fabric since I'm doing kids' clothes, but I agree with PP's comments about it not usually being more frugal.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, Colton
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, & Reagan