Why I Do The Staples Inkjet Recycling Program

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 08:35 PM

RE: Why I Do the Staples Inkjet Recycling Program

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I participate in all three programs, AND I started a cartridge recycling program at my DD's school. We turn in the max # to each of the 3 (Office Max, Office Depot and Staples). The remainder of the cartridges we bundle into 5's or 10's and give them to our teachers to turn in....they use the $$ to purchase things for their classrooms or supplies that they would normally pay for out of pocket. The $$ from the ones our Staff Appreciation Committee turns in we use to purchase supplies for teacher work week and staff appreciation week!

Oh, and the Office Depot Work Life Rewards program is great (or Teacher Star Rewards). Like the other poster stated, they periodically have products that you get 100% back in Work Life Rewards. (Keurig coffee, paper, folders, etc, pens, you name it). You can purchase 2 per day, per account.

When I knew I was going to need a new laptop I purchased ALL the items for the quarter, then got my rewards check the next quarter for $785 which I used to purchase my laptop, software. AND I donated over $500 items to my daughter's school. I have almost that much coming after the first of the year. Yes, I am out the money for 3 months but I had earmarked it for a new computer anyway. I can't earn 100% in interest in 3 months!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I am so far behind I think I'm First!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Susuz For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-09-2011, 09:32 PM

cheerful

My Mood/Status:
lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lutherandj has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
That's what I did too; although I got all those Keurig coffee's and no Keurig coffee maker. I didn't spend that much though but as I look back, I wish I would have bought more as I still used 300 dollars out of pocket for my new computer. I need a televion stand for our new high def tv and was thinking of using my next reward to purchase that - the kind I get will be dependant upon if they have some more 100% rewards before the end of the year.

I just bought a case of paper from Office Max and will use some of that to take to my church. Between the rebates and rewards, I don't think they'll ever need to buy paper again. LOL - Oh.. and batteries.. they always have AA and AAA on sale for 100% back it seems.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lutherandj For This Useful Post:
Old 11-09-2011, 10:09 PM

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
YES! Batteries, and tape, lots of tape....AND Avery Laser labels. DD's school LOVES those.

I got 2 boxes of coffee per day, and I don't even drink coffee! I bought a re=usable bag for each of my DD's 7 teachers, filled them up with these items, a ream of paper and RR items, lysol wipes, paper towels, kleenex/puffs, even rice krispie treats and halloween candy. I attached a note on each that stated if they returned the bag via my DD I would bring it back filled with goodies throughout the year! Two of the teachers emptied them immediately and handed them back to me....and now I am teaching a couponing class to the teachers AND the 9th grade Community Service Learning group. Anyone got any ideas?

I am so far behind I think I'm First!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Susuz For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2011, 09:54 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
"Retail is for suckers" - Cosmo Kramer

My Mood/Status:
yardsalequeen has posted more than 200 great deals!yardsalequeen has posted more than 200 great deals!yardsalequeen has posted more than 200 great deals!
I've been doing this for years. It used to be $3 per cartridge and you could recycle 20 a month - oh I remember those glory days fondly. But even now, if you are a premier rewards member (spending over $1000 per year) you are allowed to recycle 20 cartridges per month. Staples.comŪ | Customer Service - Staples RewardsŪ Program
The Following User Says Thank You to yardsalequeen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 03:03 AM

ISO Maruchan Yakisoba!

My Mood/Status:
JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
So, I would like to buy a bulk of cartridges and start doing this. Here is what I understand from the program. Please help correct my understanding if I'm wrong:

Office Max: $3/cartridge x 20/month. That allows you to earn $60/month. You must spend $60 to earn your $60. I assume you can "spend" your previous month's rewards to qualify for this? If this is true, I'm golden. I just bought a wireless printer tonight for $90, so I could start this month and just roll this for whatever I want?

Staples: $2/cartridge x 10/month. That allows you to earn $20 a month. If I understand correctly though, you again, do not earn the rewards until the following month? Do you have to buy anything in the first month to actually earn the rewards? Then, you can just roll them, redeem 10 cartridges, spend $20 rewards, rinse and repeat? I heard someone mention quarters though... Are their rewards only issued on a quarterly basis? Or was that only for the 100% back rewards? And so you guys were doing those along with the recyle program and saving those up to one large purchase each quarter?

Office Depot: anyone summarize these guys for me?

TIA!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to JStacklie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 05:21 AM

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be...

My Mood/Status:
BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by JStacklie View Post
So, I would like to buy a bulk of cartridges and start doing this. Here is what I understand from the program. Please help correct my understanding if I'm wrong:

Staples: $2/cartridge x 10/month. That allows you to earn $20 a month. If I understand correctly though, you again, do not earn the rewards until the following month? Do you have to buy anything in the first month to actually earn the rewards? Then, you can just roll them, redeem 10 cartridges, spend $20 rewards, rinse and repeat? I heard someone mention quarters though... Are their rewards only issued on a quarterly basis? Or was that only for the 100% back rewards? And so you guys were doing those along with the recyle program and saving those up to one large purchase each quarter?

TIA!
I can only answer about Staples, but I have learned a lot about the Staples program through trial and several errors. To answer your questions: You don't get your rewards until the next month - they are issued monthly, not quarterly. You don't have to buy anything else to get your recycling rewards. An aside...Staples gives 10% back in REGULAR rewards - these are separate from recycling rewards, and are also issued monthly.

The 100% back REWARDS are the same - you just get 100% back on your purchase in Rewards $. This is to to be confused with a 100% REBATE, which is done through a separate website - when you buy the product, you get a special receipt and instructions to go online (or via snail mail) and register to get your 100% back. This comes in the form of a check.

Now about rolling. Staples has done everything in their power to prevent rolling. Pay attention to this, because you can get burned easily. Anything you use rewards to buy is not eligible for further rewards. Same with coupons. Their system subtracts any coupons or rewards used in the transaction from ALL of the items purchased in the transaction (a proportion from each item purchased). When they offer the DOUBLE recycling rewards (you have to purchase $50 in HP ink to get these), if you use rewards to purchase the ink, it subtracts the amount of the rewards from your $50 qualifying amount.

I have read on AFC in another thread that you could use your rewards $ to purchase items for the 100% back REBATE items (and thus turn your rewards $ into cash). My Staples said that wouldn't work - their system will not issue the check if you used rewards to purchase the item.

The net effect of this is that you can purchase anything with Rewards money, but don't count on it to help you quallify for another offer or think you will be getting back cash or getting 10% back on that purchase. It'll work fine on the Marcal, etc. Just be sure to separate your transactions if you are trying to qualify for another promotion, because only OOP money counts for those.

Hope this is not too confusing...

Last edited by BlueMoon187; 03-04-2012 at 05:42 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BlueMoon187 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 03:26 PM

ISO Maruchan Yakisoba!

My Mood/Status:
JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!JStacklie has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueMoon187

I can only answer about Staples, but I have learned a lot about the Staples program through trial and several errors. To answer your questions: You don't get your rewards until the next month - they are issued monthly, not quarterly. You don't have to buy anything else to get your recycling rewards. An aside...Staples gives 10% back in REGULAR rewards - these are separate from recycling rewards, and are also issued monthly.

The 100% back REWARDS are the same - you just get 100% back on your purchase in Rewards $. This is to to be confused with a 100% REBATE, which is done through a separate website - when you buy the product, you get a special receipt and instructions to go online (or via snail mail) and register to get your 100% back. This comes in the form of a check.

Now about rolling. Staples has done everything in their power to prevent rolling. Pay attention to this, because you can get burned easily. Anything you use rewards to buy is not eligible for further rewards. Same with coupons. Their system subtracts any coupons or rewards used in the transaction from ALL of the items purchased in the transaction (a proportion from each item purchased). When they offer the DOUBLE recycling rewards (you have to purchase $50 in HP ink to get these), if you use rewards to purchase the ink, it subtracts the amount of the rewards from your $50 qualifying amount.

I have read on AFC in another thread that you could use your rewards $ to purchase items for the 100% back REBATE items (and thus turn your rewards $ into cash). My Staples said that wouldn't work - their system will not issue the check if you used rewards to purchase the item.

The net effect of this is that you can purchase anything with Rewards money, but don't count on it to help you quallify for another offer or think you will be getting back cash or getting 10% back on that purchase. It'll work fine on the Marcal, etc. Just be sure to separate your transactions if you are trying to qualify for another promotion, because only OOP money counts for those.

Hope this is not too confusing...
Thanks for the explanation. That sucks about not being able to roll on the free after rewards items, but I think your store was lying about the free after rebate items!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JStacklie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 04:56 PM

mudfamily has posted more than 25 good deals
Will staples take any brand? I'm afraid to purchase and find out otherwise.
Thanks!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mudfamily For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 06:27 PM

Where your treasure is, there will your heart be...

My Mood/Status:
BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!BlueMoon187 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mudfamily View Post
Will staples take any brand? I'm afraid to purchase and find out otherwise.
Thanks!
Yes, they take all brands for recycling.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BlueMoon187 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-04-2012, 07:14 PM

coupon crazy!

My Mood/Status:
omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!omgzitsmiranda has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I've been looking into doing this but I have a question.
If I signed up at my house & then my parents signed up. Could I drop off FOR my parents with their card? Or are they going to ID me and all this jazz?

Baby #1: EDD 08.25.14
Awaiting the arrival of:
Penelope Starr
The Following User Says Thank You to omgzitsmiranda For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 07:28 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
Jechris has posted more than 200 great deals!Jechris has posted more than 200 great deals!Jechris has posted more than 200 great deals!
Just a question.. May b silly and stupid.. Bt need to know..Dont u have to buy anything or u can just go to store n give empty cartridges.
The Following User Says Thank You to Jechris For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2012, 07:46 PM

Controlling my spending one coupon at a time

My Mood/Status:
TinkleTushies has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!TinkleTushies has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!TinkleTushies has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!TinkleTushies has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!TinkleTushies has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!TinkleTushies has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!TinkleTushies has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!TinkleTushies has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!TinkleTushies has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!TinkleTushies has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!TinkleTushies has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I just dropped off cartridges, didn't buy anything.

Wishlist:
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TinkleTushies For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 09:06 PM

Wishing it could be nap time all day today!

My Mood/Status:
IndyJuJu has posted more than 50 good deals
I've contemplated this program in the past but wasn't real clear on how it worked. This is fantastic and I think I'm finally going to give it a try!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IndyJuJu For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 12:52 PM

Supporting Member

jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jlperschke has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
IndyJuJu, I hope you get started on this program! It's awesome! I've been able to buy things I never would've been able to afford otherwise.
The Following User Says Thank You to jlperschke For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 07:20 PM

listening to the music of the spheres
Buddhist Bon Vivant Pataphysicist!

My Mood/Status:
siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!siriradha has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
IndyJuju ~ unless they change the way it works, you're going to love it!

P.S. Is that a Silver Lace Wyandotte in your picture? We have one named Bella, part of our three chicken flock.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:42 AM

pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!pmr has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I carry my empty cartridges in my trunk and drop them off when I am in the area of a Staples. I never make a special trip or buy anything, unless it is to USE my rewards before they expire. I usually use them to buy something that I have a hard time finding a deal on, paper towels or coffee.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to pmr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-06-2012, 10:19 PM

My Mood/Status:
Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Elle13 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Thanks for explaining everyone! I have a few cartridges that have been laying around & now I have some incentive to go turn them in. Then when I buying school supplies next month, I have some rewards to lower the cost of items that aren't free/cheapie

Mama to outgoing 5 y.o. DS

"Never let the fear of striking out hold you back"

The Following User Says Thank You to Elle13 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-07-2012, 05:08 AM

Life is good!

2015 YTD Savings: $9370
My Mood/Status:
nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thanks for the great explanations everyone.
Now, I'll look on Ebay to see if there are ink cartridges left for sale.
Siriradha is a genius!
Old 04-08-2014, 07:42 AM

thredhd
business account

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmagill View Post
My DH technically owns a small business, so if you have ANY type of small business at all (or qualify for it another way, such as through your employer) I highly suggest getting the business rewards card. We save something like 20% on everything AND still get the credit for cartridges! They also send us coupons like crazy! :-) Do it if you can at all swing it!
I'm confused on this business account. i have a small business but when i created the rewards account and selected business it still says 5% and 10 cartridges?
Old 04-08-2014, 04:13 PM

atev has posted more than 400 great deals!atev has posted more than 400 great deals!atev has posted more than 400 great deals!atev has posted more than 400 great deals!atev has posted more than 400 great deals!
The rules have changed slightly for this program at Staples since the OP was written. This is taken from their website:

Each Member is eligible to receive Ink Recycling Rewards ("Recycling Rewards") on ink and toner recycling, as defined below, performed at Staples stores or online at www.staplesrewards.com, if the Member has spent at least $30 in ink and/or toner purchases at Staples over the previous 180 days.

This $30 ink/toner purchase requirement would change things.