Frugal Thrift-store Shopping

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-17-2011, 03:50 PM

RE: Frugal thrift-store shopping

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
kimmer02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kimmer02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kimmer02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kimmer02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kimmer02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kimmer02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!kimmer02 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I love the goodwill here, they get new with tags stuff all the time, mostly Target stuff!
They also do a half off certain items each week. My trip last week I got a brand new cooler (big enough to hold a 12 pack of cans) Soft sides, but hard on the inside so no leaking, for only $3!
Also got a bunch of new dollar spot items for .10 each!
My DH used to make fun of me for shopping there, til he went with me one day and got a brand new fleece lined pair of jeans for only $5!! Needless to say he doesn't make fun of me anymore!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to kimmer02 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 02-17-2011, 04:02 PM

My Mood/Status:
foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!foodie has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thank You

Thanks for the info on The Thrift Shopper link. Great place to check out other stores.

Foodie
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foodie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2011, 01:48 PM

"Retail is for suckers" - Cosmo Kramer

My Mood/Status:
yardsalequeen has posted more than 200 great deals!yardsalequeen has posted more than 200 great deals!yardsalequeen has posted more than 200 great deals!
I forgot to mention one of my favorite thrift store buys - a Kitchenaid Mixer (you know, the ones that cost $200 new) for $8. It's an older one, vintage avocado green in color, but I've had some people tell me that the older ones are built more solidly than the new ones. I've also found some Kitchenaid accessories for it at my fav thrift too.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yardsalequeen For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2011, 02:39 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominochic View Post
That is so neat! What age do you teach?
K-3rd grade cross-categorical special ed. I love it (It's the adults who make me crazy)!
The Following User Says Thank You to Cadnil For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2011, 04:08 PM

My Mood/Status:
nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!nikiz has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
In Minnesota most of the Goodwills have 1.49 specific color on Tuesdays, I have found some amazing deals on Tues. It's the only day I will go!
The Following User Says Thank You to nikiz For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2011, 11:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
Limes has posted more than 5 good deals
My daughter loves thrift shopping. She's really into baby dolls and we hit the thrift shops for clothes. She can get 2 or 3 piece sets for $1-2 and real clothes are so much more durable than the flimsy doll clothes that are sold for dolls. Newborn clothes are fabulous but 0-3 usually works, too
The Following User Says Thank You to Limes For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 08:57 AM

My Mood/Status:
jap631 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jap631 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jap631 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jap631 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jap631 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jap631 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jap631 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jap631 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jap631 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jap631 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jap631 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I live in Columbus, OH and we have a LOT of thrifts and secondhands here. Goodwill is the priciest and no longer does sale days or deals. 8 years ago when I first moved here, they had great deals but they changed management. Salvation Army's stores are a mess and stink like cigarette smoke so I don't go in there. The other ones though, are pretty good. No bag sales and not much for furniture or big items but nice linens, jewelry and clothing and book/toy areas.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
DH,
me,
YDD
DS and
ODD,
, sadly missing my beloved kitty.
The Following User Says Thank You to jap631 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2011, 09:04 AM

My Mood/Status:
Kolibree has posted more than 100 good deals!Kolibree has posted more than 100 good deals!
Quote:
I would love to hear everyone's good thrift store finds!
I love thrift store shopping!! My best find was a pair of Dansko shoes, retail new for $110. Got them gently used for $10!! We have Goodwill Superstores here, and they get all the closeouts and stuff from local stores, like Target and Sears. My last trip I found 32 brand new clothing items for my baby grandson, and paid .99 each!! It's hit or miss, but I try to go a few times a week and go first thing in the morning. You'd be suprised at what you can find!

Married to Kevin, mom to Britt, 23, and Heather, 21. Nana to Olivia, 21 months, and Dallas, 2 months. Love my grandbabies!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kolibree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2011, 09:22 PM

needs to start stockpiling again!

My Mood/Status:
sigmasal has posted more than 400 great deals!sigmasal has posted more than 400 great deals!sigmasal has posted more than 400 great deals!sigmasal has posted more than 400 great deals!sigmasal has posted more than 400 great deals!
Our Salvation Army has 1/2 off day also. Now if I go on not 1/2 off day, I feel like everything is too expensive. It is a great place to pick up Holiday decorations for cents and things to craft with (like get an ugly wreath for 49 cents, take all the ugly stuff off and use the wreath form that would have cost $5.50 at Michael's or Joanne's). My store seems to have a lot of cookie tins and those type containers for 10 cents, which are great for storage when you're just keeping things behind closed doors and they seem to have the wooden peg coat racks that you hang on the wall all the time. I have bought a few magazine racks and coat racks that were an old ugly wood for $1.00 or so and then spray painted them white to use in my house. My favorite find at Sal's Boutique is a pair of the linen-type curtains that are in style, the ones that kind of look like painter's dropcloth, perfect condition for $3. I really needed a pair and was looking for some for my bedroom and I just love them.
I love hearing about everyone's great finds!
The Following User Says Thank You to sigmasal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-25-2011, 10:09 PM

can't resist a good contest!

My Mood/Status:
Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I just started working at a Goodwill in IL - once a month they have a 123 sale - clothes and other textiles are all $1.23! Also on Weds seniors get 10% off. They do other sales as well but I don't know them all yet. Every week a certain color is 50% off the regular price...this week, it's all items tagged red.
The regular prices are a little pricier than maybe a salvation army would be, but the items are also in better shape, and a better quality than salvation army. The store is definately more organized and cleaner than any salvation army I have ever been in...
Yes, my Goodwill DOES get unused items from Target....
The Following User Says Thank You to Loveridden For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 05:41 AM

My Mood/Status:
Kolibree has posted more than 100 good deals!Kolibree has posted more than 100 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveridden View Post
I just started working at a Goodwill in IL - once a month they have a 123 sale - clothes and other textiles are all $1.23! Also on Weds seniors get 10% off. They do other sales as well but I don't know them all yet. Every week a certain color is 50% off the regular price...this week, it's all items tagged red.
The regular prices are a little pricier than maybe a salvation army would be, but the items are also in better shape, and a better quality than salvation army. The store is definately more organized and cleaner than any salvation army I have ever been in...
Yes, my Goodwill DOES get unused items from Target....

I have a salvation army about two minutes down the road from me. I will look in there occasionally, but I find they are higher priced for items in really bad condition, and it is pretty dirty in there. I LOVE Goodwill. Yes, the items cost a little more but they are usually in good condition, sometimes new, and it's a clean store. I found a brand new leather blazer, still had tags, retail $225, for $25!!!! Can't beat that!!! Even if I didn't need it, I could use it for a gift!
They offer 50% off colors, and you earn points for a percentage off a total sale. They also have a kids clothing table where everything on it is .99 each. Great place to find childrens books too. I would go everday but DH would KILL me!! Although he likes to poke around and see what he can find when he goes with me. It's the thrill of the hunt for something great for cheap!!!!

Married to Kevin, mom to Britt, 23, and Heather, 21. Nana to Olivia, 21 months, and Dallas, 2 months. Love my grandbabies!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kolibree For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 06:05 AM

My Mood/Status:
csheldon has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!csheldon has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!csheldon has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!csheldon has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!csheldon has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!csheldon has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I have found Salvation Army to be very expensive compared to the other thrift stores we have here in the Detroit area. Thanks for all the great posts

, 2
, and 1
The Following User Says Thank You to csheldon For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 07:02 AM

Trying to be a Proverbs 31 woman
"My Home" Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!brieclark has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
One of my Goodwill stores has a "Treasure Store" in the back. They have huge dumpbins full of clothes and they ony cost .80 per pound! I've gotten some great stuff out of there!

I just replaced our dryer from a local thrift store called "Gateway Rescue Mission". They support local homeless people.

I frequent a few consignment shops. Recently, I got 25 pieces of awesome namebrand clothing for me for $17. Really cute stuff, including a gorgeous little black dress by Banana Republic.

Our Salvation Army is overpriced. Including our house, which we bought from them.
, Colton
, & Reagan

Join us in
!
The Following User Says Thank You to brieclark For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 07:23 AM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
My husband and I have started shopping thrift stores when we need something for ourselves, our home, our 2-year-old, or our baby-on-the-way. Thrift stores can be an excellent way to find things you need for cheap. Some stores even offer coupons or deals when you donate to them (Savers, for example, will give % off coupons for donating items).

I've found that there are a few tricks to getting a good deal:
1- Ask the casheir if they are willing to reduce the price of an item. I am OFTEN able to get the price of clothes for DD lowered. Also, sometimes it helps to point out a small stain or snag. If they realize that you are willing to take the item even with the flaws - they may be willing to negotiate price with you. The nicer you are - the better luck you will have!

2- Shop often! The items in thrift stores are always changing. It helps to go frequently, especially if there is something specific you are looking for.

3- Make sure you're not buying junk that's just going to sit in your home. You're not saving yourself any money if you're just buying items that you're never going to use.

Good luck!
Number 3 fits for regular couponing too. I find myself looking at coupons for products I don't need or don't regularly use and I think WOW I can get a buck or two off, but then I'd spend a buck or two for something I don't normally use and may just sit around. Those buck or two's add up, so I try to handle restraint and stay away from the abnormal extras.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-26-2011, 08:39 AM

can't resist a good contest!

My Mood/Status:
Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Loveridden has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
The salvation army in my old neighborhood was very reasonably priced, but in my new neighborhood, I have been surprised at some of the prices there....
The Following User Says Thank You to Loveridden For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 06:04 PM

A penny saved is... a penny.

My Mood/Status:
LinzluvsGJ has posted more than 200 great deals!LinzluvsGJ has posted more than 200 great deals!LinzluvsGJ has posted more than 200 great deals!
There's no bargaining on prices at the thrift stores around here, but I've still managed to find some great deals. Best lately was right before Christmas I had been looking at American Girl bitty baby dolls for my youngest. I happened to notice one of the baby dolls at the Savers I was at had neck strings, which isn't typical on most dolls but is standard for AG dolls. I picked it up, and sure enough it was a naked bitty baby, with blond hair and blue eyes like my dd to boot A whopping $4 later and I was one very happy mama!
, Philip (7)
, Lillian (5), & Maxwell (3)

Joyfully loving Michael
and Alexis (4)
The Following User Says Thank You to LinzluvsGJ For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2011, 06:14 PM

cathyvernham has posted more than 200 great deals!cathyvernham has posted more than 200 great deals!cathyvernham has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by timmsa View Post
I don't shop at salvation army thrift stores, because they will ( in my experience) will mark up the clothes. Maybe it is just here. But I have looked at items and found prices that were really not marked down to much.

In some cases, i could add like a $1 or $2 and get it at walmart or target.
THe SA thrifts are high around here too. Ours has designer purses behind the counter. I asked to see one of the Coach purses once. It was extremely worn and th liner was ripped in two places. They were asking $125 for it. I handed it back and told her I could get a new one at the 'Coach outlet store cheaper.
The Following User Says Thank You to cathyvernham For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2011, 09:34 PM

firmbeliever has posted more than 200 great deals!firmbeliever has posted more than 200 great deals!firmbeliever has posted more than 200 great deals!
DD and I found a like new Lanie American Girl doll the other day - for $2.95. I think that is my top find. It was in a plastic bag, so we weren't quite sure it was the real deal until we got it home, but for $2.95 it was worth the risk.

I got a really nice coach purse for $21 - it was behind the counter.

Our staple thrift store item is gymnastics leotards - leos that retail for $35 and up for $4 average.
The Following User Says Thank You to firmbeliever For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2011, 09:45 PM

My Mood/Status:
Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Lovage2 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I don't find many deals anymore at SA or Goodwill. Luckily I have a few others to shop from. For those who think they don't have any thrift stores around them here's a tip. Many churches and religious organizations run thrift stores. Near me there are a St. Vincent De Paul, St. Matthews, St. Mary's as well as one that supports a local Hospice group. Ask around, you may be surprised to find that there are little thrift stores tucked away in odd places. Many of the church operated ones are only open limited hours (all volunteer staffed) but they're also the most likely to have flexible pricing.
The hospice shop near me regularly has kids books ranging from $.10 to $.50 each and I even managed to pick up a Leap Pad and several books/cartridges there for only $8.00. They regularly price their stuffed animals and dolls at $1.00 or less and I've gotten coffee mugs there for a quarter. I got to put together great Christmas baskets for the relatives with Holiday Mugs thanks to this shop.
The Following User Says Thank You to Lovage2 For This Useful Post: