Organizing Rebate Stuff???

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-09-2013, 07:10 PM

My Mood/Status:
barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Organizing rebate stuff???

Not sure if I am posting this in the correct place, so if not please move.

I am curious how everyone organizes their rebate stuff??? I am good at everything else, but don't really do too many rebates. This is not to say I haven't. I have. But I am not very good at it. I do forget to send stuff in sometimes, and when I do I forget all about the rebate till I get whatever back in the mail. Meaning if they never sent it to me, I wouldn't even know most of the time. I usually put my things away immediately afte shopping, then when I do fill them out have to go searching for upc codes. I know this is huge way to get money back so I really would appreciate any advice at all. TIA
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-10-2013, 07:55 PM

RE: Organizing rebate stuff???

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I keep a spreadsheet with the information. When I prepare the stuff for mailing I scan it in and use the spreadsheet line number as the photo number. As far as the actual stuff I keep it in an old envie box...forms, stamps, marker, random receipts...basically anything but the actual envies.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2013, 10:53 PM

My Mood/Status:
barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!barracuda has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydawn View Post
I keep a spreadsheet with the information. When I prepare the stuff for mailing I scan it in and use the spreadsheet line number as the photo number. As far as the actual stuff I keep it in an old envie box...forms, stamps, marker, random receipts...basically anything but the actual envies.
Thanks Monkeydawn, I knew you would be on top of it. Thank-you. I think I need to have a better receipt keeping system. That is probably a lot of my hang up. Right now I just keep them in one of the plastic 3 ring envelopes in my binder, I usually clean it out once a week, but sometimes don't, and that is where the problem comes in. Thinking I might start a small file (like one of the coupon files I used to use long time ago), and put receipts in it as soon as I go to my car sorted by date and store. That way I won't have to search through a pile of receipts at the end of the week.
Old 01-11-2013, 06:34 AM

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by barracuda

Thanks Monkeydawn, I knew you would be on top of it. Thank-you. I think I need to have a better receipt keeping system. That is probably a lot of my hang up. Right now I just keep them in one of the plastic 3 ring envelopes in my binder, I usually clean it out once a week, but sometimes don't, and that is where the problem comes in. Thinking I might start a small file (like one of the coupon files I used to use long time ago), and put receipts in it as soon as I go to my car sorted by date and store. That way I won't have to search through a pile of receipts at the end of the week.
I also keep a spreadsheet of my weekly deals. A breakdown of the drugstores, grocery stores, gas, target, Walmart and an other category. I tally the store data by week so I can see at a glance where I am in my savings goals. Each week I use the back of an expired CRT to write the week #, the dates and the basic saving info and then staple everything together with the CRT on the front. If I find a rebate where I need something past I can usually remember about when I bought it. If I can't remember then usually I can at least remember the store and a quick search here on afc helps me find the dates I am looking for. I just have a drawer where I stash all my receipt bundles. The random receipts I keen in my rebate box are found receipts. There are some things we wouldn't ever buy that there are rebates for. Often I get luck and find a receipt with what I need. I always pick through the little trash cans by self scan checkouts for receipts and cats.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 06:44 AM

Need a great sale on coffee...
I never sleep...

My Mood/Status:
Winchweasel has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Winchweasel has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Winchweasel has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Winchweasel has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Winchweasel has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Winchweasel has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Winchweasel has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Winchweasel has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Winchweasel has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Winchweasel has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!Winchweasel has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I'm working out of shoe boxes, a spreadsheet and folders.

Folders - keep all print outs and multiple receipts in here along with stamps, envies, etc.

Spreadsheet - same as MonkeyDawn

Shoe Boxes - Seperated by store and then paper clipped together by month. I keep EVERY receipt mainly for budget reasons, but they do come in handy when it comes to a pop up rebate! DH has his own receipt shoe box and it's only organized by month. Saves us $50-$100/month when I can prove Dunkin Donuts is a "expense" and not a treat.

All my sent rebates are scanned into a pdf file and filed under my rebates folder. I have two sub-folders: sent and received.

!
Help out your fellow couponers and let them know about your great deals at your local store!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Winchweasel For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 07:48 AM

My Mood/Status:
Awe Thank-you both so much, I am feeling some me time at the the old compu-tater.... I need to get better at it, I know I am throwing money away so to speak. Great idea about the self check-out! Thanks again.
Old 01-11-2013, 08:16 AM

My Mood/Status:
Can you view excel spreadsheets? I will try to upload blank ones so you have a starting place. I am sure they will need tweaking for your particular needs.

Old 01-11-2013, 08:24 AM

Happiness is...puppy kisses x2!

My Mood/Status:
StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!StLouisClipper has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
All helpful information, thank you so much for sharing!
The Following User Says Thank You to StLouisClipper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 09:34 AM

is hunting for good deals!

My Mood/Status:
laffinallthewaytothebank has posted more than 400 great deals!laffinallthewaytothebank has posted more than 400 great deals!laffinallthewaytothebank has posted more than 400 great deals!laffinallthewaytothebank has posted more than 400 great deals!laffinallthewaytothebank has posted more than 400 great deals!
Wow @monkeydawn that's impressive. Wish I could be that organized.

If you don't have that kind of time or if your mind can't process all that, someone explained rebates to me this way:

The company's are gambling on the fact that EVERYONE paid full price, and SOME will lose their receipt or forget to mail in rebate altogether. That's my motivation to mail it out the same or next day.

I scan in a copy of the refund form, receipt with price and date circled, the UPC if required, and even the envelope with the address and stamp on it. I really love love love the idea of the photo suggested above. I "save" this in a desktop folder called "Rebates." The file would be called "2012 10 15_Totino's Pizza Rebate" for example. Before computer, I would just make a copy of everything, note the date mailed, and put in a folder called "Rebates."

Next, on your calendar or planner, write in the maximum date you expect the refund. Most refunds take 8-12 weeks. So, if it says "please allow 6-8 weeks," note on your calendar 8 weeks from when you mailed it "Totino's Rebate Coming". Almost every time, when you reach that page on your calendar, you will find that you have already received it in the mail.

If not, go to your Rebate folder and call the company. I have never had to do this.

Hope this helps and "Happy Refunds!"
The Following User Says Thank You to laffinallthewaytothebank For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 09:53 AM

My Mood/Status:
Here is what I use for rebates:

sample rebates.xls

My goal is to generate $100 a month from rebating. I made that in 2012 but towards the end of the year the rebates really dried up so it may be tougher in 2013. Also since the SCR program has ended for RA, that leaves fewer rebating opportunities.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 09:57 AM

My Mood/Status:
And here is my general budget one:

Super Shopping blank.xls

I will have to tweak this some for 2013 but I liked the format last year for the most part.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-11-2013, 05:44 PM

My Mood/Status:
Oh My goodness Monkeydawn, Thank-you, that is awesome!!!!!!!! I have never received that much back on rebates. I will miss the SCR program at Rite aid too That was easy, all I had to do was enter it on their page. I did alot of the Back to school ones this year at Office Max and Staples, but again those were soooo Easy. Again Thanks! You rock !!!!

@laffinallthewaytothebank (whew that was a long one) I will do the calendar thing too, Thanks
Old 01-11-2013, 06:52 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Oh My goodness Monkeydawn, Thank-you, that is awesome!!!!!!!! I have never received that much back on rebates. I will miss the SCR program at Rite aid too That was easy, all I had to do was enter it on their page. I did alot of the Back to school ones this year at Office Max and Staples, but again those were soooo Easy. Again Thanks! You rock !!!!

@laffinallthewaytothebank (whew that was a long one) I will do the calendar thing too, Thanks
Happy to help. Are you familiar with no beer purchase required rebates?

Old 01-11-2013, 08:25 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Happy to help. Are you familiar with no beer purchase required rebates?
Not a clue???? What are those?
Old 01-11-2013, 09:11 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:

Not a clue???? What are those?
What state are you in?

Old 01-11-2013, 09:13 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
What state are you in?
Pa
Old 01-11-2013, 09:26 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:

Pa
Oh, you should be good then. If you cruise the beer aisles or the fsot forum you will see NBPR rebates. They are sponsored by beer companies bit in some states you don't have to buy beer to qualify. They are out there for just about everything...groceries, gift cards, super bowl essentials, ice, soda. It varies by offer how much you will get back, where they will be valid, where beer purchases aren't necessary. PA generally has a decent selection. That is how it has been possible for me to get what I do back with rebating and why I save receipts for everything...you never know when one will pop up. In the last six months or so it has seemed like the offers have really thinned out but it is still worth doing. The Super Bowl is usually a big time for them so I would dive right in of I were you.

In store you should look for them near the beers. They can be on tear pads, peelies or tapped to the product. Every so often there will be an on line form. Last year pyramid beers did a great one $10 wyb $10.01 in groceries for their recipes. You could do it six times per household. The recipes included loads of meats, cheeses, veggies, spices, oils, vinegars and other stuff. Those are the best when you can get back all the money that you will spend oop on groceries!

Old 01-11-2013, 09:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
I am shocked and amazed, Thank-you again. And my husband silly little friend said bet you can't coupon for beer.... Um yes I can, and sometimes I don't even have to buy beer I am so throwing this in his face, Lovingly of course.
Old 01-11-2013, 10:00 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
I am shocked and amazed, Thank-you again. And my husband silly little friend said bet you can't coupon for beer.... Um yes I can, and sometimes I don't even have to buy beer I am so throwing this in his face, Lovingly of course.
It is an amazing way to help fund grocery and other purchases. I do find that I get several unwarranted denials from one particular company. I don't think I have every had to do anything other than email them that my records indicate that I did whatever they are saying I did wrong correctly. So my spreadsheets and scans help immensely. I have never had t provide actual proof so I probably could have bluffed it but I still like knowing that I have the proof should it come to that.

If you find any that are good in ny, pm me!

Old 01-12-2013, 07:56 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
It is an amazing way to help fund grocery and other purchases. I do find that I get several unwarranted denials from one particular company. I don't think I have every had to do anything other than email them that my records indicate that I did whatever they are saying I did wrong correctly. So my spreadsheets and scans help immensely. I have never had t provide actual proof so I probably could have bluffed it but I still like knowing that I have the proof should it come to that.

If you find any that are good in ny, pm me!
I will and again thanks so much.
Old 01-12-2013, 08:13 AM

: )
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have submitted beer rebates for several years now and I find the top 3 companies: Bud, Coors and Miller have always sent checks w/in a reasonable time. I don't scan my submission for those companies anymore; I still do for Heineken, Pabst, Corona, etc but most of them have sent checks with no issues.

For other TMFs, I make sure to scan my submissions, put the date on the file name so I know when I sent them in and then save them in Rebate folders under Documents. When I receive the checks, I delete the files. It takes practice to do this but once you get the hang of this, it'll be easy.

It is best to scan/save submissions for rebates just in case you get a denied letter/postcard later. If you have proof of submission, you can always re-send/fax a copy and most likely, they send you the check later.

as to receipts, I throw them in a ziplock bag; I match rebates with receipts I have. I check receipts every quarter for those I can throw away when their dates are far off valid dates.

There's lots of $ you can get back in rebates for items you have receipts so turn those receipts to cash.
The Following User Says Thank You to joshmamabear For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2013, 08:41 AM

My Mood/Status:
Heineken is the one that gives me issues. I would say every third or forth is wrongly denied. But they have the most and highest valued offers for my state so I just keep god records and everything works out fine.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:00 AM

My Mood/Status:
I was telling my husband about this last night and showing him the Excel spreadsheets (thanks again), and he was like, "I am gonna video tape you and your eyes when you find this stuff out, your eyes are huge and dancing all over the place"

It's like every time I think yep I got this, there is a whole new level and It becomes my goal to not just do it, but smash it, completely crush it, till I feel satisfied and like I have earned enough off of it. This will most probably become my new favorite obsession. Hey it could be worse right?

Joshmamabear, thanks for the head's up on those companies Our state just recently started selling alcohol in some counties in some grocery stores, I think I may be spending some time looking at beer Should make my hubby happy... I usually tell him beer is not in the budget, well it just might be very soon. Who knows I may stumble across a deal on the beer too
The Following User Says Thank You to barracuda For This Useful Post:
Old 01-12-2013, 10:22 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
I was telling my husband about this last night and showing him the Excel spreadsheets (thanks again), and he was like, "I am gonna video tape you and your eyes when you find this stuff out, your eyes are huge and dancing all over the place"

It's like every time I think yep I got this, there is a whole new level and It becomes my goal to not just do it, but smash it, completely crush it, till I feel satisfied and like I have earned enough off of it. This will most probably become my new favorite obsession. Hey it could be worse right?

Joshmamabear, thanks for the head's up on those companies Our state just recently started selling alcohol in some counties in some grocery stores, I think I may be spending some time looking at beer Should make my hubby happy... I usually tell him beer is not in the budget, well it just might be very soon. Who knows I may stumble across a deal on the beer too
I agree every time I think I can't be doing more, I find out about something new! I can't believe I spent so long being a sucker and paying for stuff.

I haven't found any actual beer rebates that make the beer itself free, usually there is a pretty small amount back when compared to the overall cost. But why not get a little more off if you can, right?

Do you know about houseparty? They sponsor parties. I got a bud one once, that did make for some free beer. I have also gotten some other pretty useful parties.

Old 01-12-2013, 10:48 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
I agree every time I think I can't be doing more, I find out about something new! I can't believe I spent so long being a sucker and paying for stuff.

I haven't found any actual beer rebates that make the beer itself free, usually there is a pretty small amount back when compared to the overall cost. But why not get a little more off if you can, right?

Do you know about houseparty? They sponsor parties. I got a bud one once, that did make for some free beer. I have also gotten some other pretty useful parties.
I can't believe I spent 15 years of my married life, not doing this I was such a sucker!

Yes no1tvfan63 had posted about a Planter's house party in the Rite Aid forum, so I read a little about them. But have not really delved into them too much. Is there a forum on AFC for those? or do you just do a general search of the internet for them?

I so need to invest in a new pc. We bought our oldest a laptop for Christmas so I am thinking it is not in the budget again this year, but I almost feel like it is needed, so maybe I can justify myself into fitting it into the budget. This one is so tired and the poor thing is on it's last leg. I have also, been justifying to myself the purchase of a smart phone, there are so many apps I am missing out on because I don't have one. We stopped at Verizon yesterday, and they are really leaving me no other choice but to go somewhere else at the end of January when our contract is up. I just cannot justify another $120 on top of our already huge cell phone bill. You would think with 4 possibly 5 (we may get another one for the next child in line) they would be grateful we give them so much business. Yep they aren't And my BIL works for them at their Home office, even he can't get them to offer us anything better.