What To Do With All That Krusteaz Cookie Mix...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2009, 11:23 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
The stockpile King & Queen

My Mood/Status:
deniseweber has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!deniseweber has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!deniseweber has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!deniseweber has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!deniseweber has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!deniseweber has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!deniseweber has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!deniseweber has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!deniseweber has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
What to do with all that Krusteaz cookie Mix...

I plan on adapting my Christmas cookies to include cookies made with the mixes..

Recipe #1
CANDY CANE COOKIES
Recipe courtesy Sandra Lee
Ingredients
• 1 box sugar cookie mix
• 1/2 stick butter, melted
• 1 egg
• 1/3 cup softened cream cheese
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour, plus additional for surface
• Red food coloring
• 1 1/2 teaspoons peppermint extract
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a bowl, combine sugar cookie mix, melted butter, egg, cream cheese, and flour; mix together to form dough. Separate dough into 2 equal portions and place in 2 different bowls. Add red food coloring gradually to 1 bowl of dough, kneading together until desired shade of red is created. To second bowl of uncolored dough, add peppermint extract and knead together. On a floured work surface, shape each dough into balls and then roll each ball into 1/4-inch-wide ropes, each about 6 inches long. For each cookie, carefully twist some of the red and white ropes of dough together and shape into a candy cane. Spread candy canes out on cookie sheets and bake on the top shelf of the oven for about 10 to 12 minutes. Transfer to a rack to cool before serving.

Recipe #2
STAINED GLASS COOKIES

Ingredients
• 1 package (17.5 ounces) sugar cookie mix (recommended: Betty Crocker)
• 1/3 cup cream cheese , softened in microwave for 45 seconds
• 1 egg
• 1 teaspoon lemon extract
• 3 tablespoons cake flour
• 8 ounces hard candies, assorted colors (recommended: Jolly Ranchers or LifeSavers)
Directions
Line baking sheets with aluminum foil and spray lightly with cooking spray. Alternatively, you can use a silicone baking mat.
In a large bowl, stir together all ingredients, except hard candies, until dough ball forms. Split dough in half and form into disks.
Roll out dough on a lightly floured surface to 1/4-inch thick. Cut out cookies with oversized (4 to 5-inch) ornament-shaped cookie cutters. Place cookies on prepared baking sheets spaced 1-inch apart. On each of the large cookies, cut out 3 or 4 smaller shapes using 1/2 to 1-inch cookie cutters. If cookies are to be used as ornaments, make a hole at the top with a straw. Chill in refrigerator for 30 minutes.
While cookies chill, place unwrapped hard candies, sorted by color, in separate zip-top resealable bags. Squeeze air from bags and seal; crush candies with rolling pin. Set aside.
Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
Remove cookies from refrigerator and fill centers of cookies with
crushed hard candies.
Bake for 9 to 12 minutes or until edges just start to turn golden. Cool completely on baking sheet on a rack.
Repeat with remaining dough.
Store completely cooled cookies separated by waxed paper in an air-tight container for 1 week.
Recipe #3

OATMEAL-RUM COOKIES
Ingredients
• 1 (17.5-ounce) package oatmeal cookie mix (recommended: Betty Crocker)
• 1/3 cup canola oil
• 1 large egg
• 3 tablespoons dark rum (recommended: Meyer's)
Directions
In a large mixing bowl, combine oatmeal cookie mix, canola oil, egg, and rum. Stir until dough forms.
Drop by rounded tablespoons onto ungreased cookie sheet (only make as many as you need - keep dough in sealed container in refrigerator and enjoy later). Bake in oven for 9 to 11 minutes.
Recipe # 4

MACADAMIA-COCONUT COOKIES
Ingredients
• 1 package sugar cookie mix
• 1 egg
• 1 stick butter, melted
• 3/4 cup flaked sweetened coconut
• 1/2 cup chopped macadamia nuts (recommended: Mauna Loa)
Directions
In a large mixing bowl, combine all ingredients for cookies. Stir until soft dough forms.
Drop cookie dough by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake for 10 to 14 minutes or until edges are light golden brown. Remove from oven and cool 1 minute.
Recipe # 5

GINGERBREAD COOKIES WITH ROYAL ICING
Ingredients
Gingerbread cookies:
• 1 (17.5 ounce) package sugar cookie mix
• 1 egg
• 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
• 1/4 cup melted butter
• 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
• 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
• 1/4 cup dark molasses
• 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• Royal Icing
• 2 large egg whites or 5 tablespoons meringue powder
• 2 teaspoons fresh lemon juice or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
• 3 cups confectioners' sugar, sifted
• Sanding sugar, if desired
For Gingerbread Cookies:
Directions
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Cookies: In a large mixing bowl, blend all ingredients together and chill for up to 1 hour. Roll dough out on floured board about 1/8-inch thick. Cut desired shapes with cookie cutters and place onto sheet pan. Bake for 8 minutes in preheated oven. Let cool to room temperature before decorating.
For Royal Icing:
With a hand mixer, beat the egg whites with the lemon juice or extract until frothy. Add the sifted powdered sugar and beat on low speed until combined, smooth, and shiny. Turn to high and beat approximately 5 minutes until stiff and glossy. Transfer to a pasty bag or zip top bag to pipe onto cookies. Decorate, if desired.
Recipe # 6

RASPBERRY CAKE BARS
Ingredients
• 1 package (18-ounces) refrigerated sugar cookie dough , softened (recommended: Pillsbury)
• 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
• 1/2 cup seedless raspberry jam
• 1/4 cup chopped pecans
Directions
Line an 8-inch square glass baking dish with enough foil so there is an overhang on 2 sides. Mix cookie dough with lemon extract, kneading to combine. With damp fingers, press 2/3 of dough into bottom of prepared baking dish. Spread jam over dough. Crumble remaining dough evenly over top of jam. Scatter pecans over top. Bake for 30 to 35 minutes or until browned around edges and cooked through in center. Let cool in pan. Lift edges of foil to remove bars. Cut into 2-inch squares or diagonally into pennant shapes.
Recipe # 7

LEMON SPRITZ SQUARES
Ingredients
• 1 (1 pound, 1.5 ounce) package dry sugar cookie mix (recommended: Betty Crocker)
• 4 ounces cream cheese , softened
• 1 to 1 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
• 1/2 to 3/4 teaspoon lemon extract
• 2 eggs
• 1 tablespoon grated lemon zest
• Flour, for dusting work surface
• Powdered sugar, for garnishing
Directions
In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine the sugar cookie mix and cream cheese. Add the flour in 3 parts. Add eggs and lemon extract, and mix until just incorporated. Fold in the in lemon zest.
On lightly floured surface, roll out dough to a 12 by 14-inch rectangle. Using a fluted pastry cutter, cut dough into 2-inch squares.
Place cutouts 1-inch apart on ungreased cookie sheet. Freeze 10 minutes. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes, until bottoms are golden brown and tops are set. Cool completely on cooling rack. Dust with powdered sugar.
Recipe # 8

SNOW FLAKES AND PEACE DOVES CUT-OUT COOKIES
17.5-ounce package dry sugar cookie mix
4 ounces cream cheese, softened
2 eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla extract or other flavoring
1 cup all-purpose flour

Royal Icing:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon meringue powder
Water, for icing consistency

Combine the cookie mix with the cream cheese until crumbly. Mix in the eggs and flavoring until well combined. Add enough flour to make a firm dough that can be rolled out. Roll dough out on lightly floured board to 1/4-inch thickness. Cut out snow flakes, doves, or other desired shapes.

Place on ungreased baking sheet and bake for about 8 minutes.

While the cookies are baking, make the icing by combining powdered sugar and meringue powder. Add 1 teaspoon of water at a time until it reaches desired consistency.

Decorate cookies with royal icing. Allow to dry for 1 hour.

Cook's Note: To make the cookies into ornaments, use a toothpick or chopstick to form a hole in the dough at the top of the design before baking. Make the hole large enough to be sure it doesn't close up during baking. Remember to clear the hole before icing hardens.

Recipe # 9

ALMOND COOKIES
Ingredients
• 1 (18-ounce) tube pre-made sugar cookie dough
• 1 tablespoon almond extract
• 1/2 cup ground blanched almonds
• 30 whole blanched almonds
Directions
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
In a mixing bowl, combine the cookie dough, almond extract, and ground almonds and mix to combine. Shape the dough into 1/2-inch balls. Place the balls about 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet. Gently press 1 whole blanched almond into the center of each ball. Transfer to the oven and bake for 13 minutes, or until golden.

Blog:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to deniseweber For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-19-2009, 11:30 AM

RE: What to do with all that Krusteaz cookie Mix...

Enjoying today!!

My Mood/Status:
couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!couponmama62 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
yummy!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to couponmama62 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 11:33 AM

My Mood/Status:
jen91683 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jen91683 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jen91683 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jen91683 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jen91683 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jen91683 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jen91683 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jen91683 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jen91683 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jen91683 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!jen91683 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
cool, thanks...i love sandra lee.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to jen91683 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 11:37 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
MattsMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MattsMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MattsMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MattsMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MattsMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MattsMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!MattsMom has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
This was very sweet (no pun intended) of you to do . What a wonderful thing to have for all those yummy boxes of cookie mix! Thank you so much!!
Old 10-19-2009, 12:12 PM

My Mood/Status:
Caribbean coupon clipper has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Caribbean coupon clipper has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Caribbean coupon clipper has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Caribbean coupon clipper has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Caribbean coupon clipper has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Caribbean coupon clipper has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Caribbean coupon clipper has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Caribbean coupon clipper has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Caribbean coupon clipper has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Caribbean coupon clipper has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I will be giving mine to my mother, she can do the honors of baking for the entire community. I would have been bummed after all that baking. Nice treats for the kids in our area.

Reps Always Appreciated
The Following User Says Thank You to Caribbean coupon clipper For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 02:05 PM

kix4me22 has posted more than 400 great deals!kix4me22 has posted more than 400 great deals!kix4me22 has posted more than 400 great deals!kix4me22 has posted more than 400 great deals!kix4me22 has posted more than 400 great deals!
I forgot to get a raincheck, and they were out of all of this the other day!

Need to get back to the store before Wed.!
The Following User Says Thank You to kix4me22 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 04:37 PM

is so happy she joined AFC

My Mood/Status:
lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Denise,

Thanks So Much !!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to lizremax For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 04:55 PM

My Mood/Status:
lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!lizremax has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I bought the sugar cookie mix as a base, I found this recipe on the Krusteaz website, I plan to try it using the I Can't Believe its not Butter Baking Sticks that were free or cheap a few weeks ago at Publix

Recipe Box
Sugar Cookie Mix

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Coconut Cookie Chews
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
1, 15.5 oz package Krusteaz Sugar Cookie Mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 egg
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
1/2 cup shredded coconut
1/2 cup whole almonds
Preheat oven to 375ฐF. Place cookie mix, butter, egg, almond extract and coconut in medium bowl. Stir until dough forms, hand kneading if necessary. Using rounded tablespoon dough for each cookie, place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Place whole almond in center of each cookie, pressing gently into dough. Bake 8-10 minutes.
Makes 24 cookies.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lizremax For This Useful Post:
Old 10-19-2009, 05:04 PM

My Mood/Status:
Here is one more that I just had to include because it calls for Lemon Zest, I use the Spice Islands Lemon Zest, and there is currently a $1.50 ip that will bring the cost down. Spice Island also has an Orange Zest.

Glazed Lemon Sugar Cookies
Cookie:
1, 15.5 oz package Krusteaz Sugar Cookie Mix
1/2 cup (1 stick) butter, softened
1 egg
1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest
1 teaspoon lemon juice
Lemon Glaze:
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tablespoon finely chopped lemon zest
1 tablespoon lemon juice
1 tablespoon milk
Preheat oven to 375ฐF. For Cookies: Place cookie mix, butter, egg, lemon zest and lemon juice in medium bowl. Stir until dough forms, hand kneading if necessary. Using rounded tablespoon dough for each cookie, place 2 inches apart onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 8-10 minutes. Cool cookies completely and spread with lemon glaze. For Lemon Glaze: Place glaze ingredients in small bowl. Stir until smooth.
Makes 24 cookies.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg lemon cookie.jpg (33.6 KB, 3 views)
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to lizremax For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 06:29 AM

reunion173 has posted more than 50 good deals
Were the coupons regional? I can't find them in the Tampa Tribune
Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 AM

My Mood/Status:
Templej has posted more than 300 great deals!Templej has posted more than 300 great deals!Templej has posted more than 300 great deals!Templej has posted more than 300 great deals!
Thanks! I love cookies!
The Following User Says Thank You to Templej For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2009, 07:28 AM

My Mood/Status:
TJ1234 has posted more than 400 great deals!TJ1234 has posted more than 400 great deals!TJ1234 has posted more than 400 great deals!TJ1234 has posted more than 400 great deals!TJ1234 has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by reunion173 View Post
Were the coupons regional? I can't find them in the Tampa Tribune
This cookie coupon was in the St. Pete Times (10/11, I believe).
The Following User Says Thank You to TJ1234 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2009, 10:49 AM

AFC Star Member

cinamin27 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cinamin27 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cinamin27 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cinamin27 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cinamin27 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!cinamin27 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
quick apple crumble (crisp) or apple cheesecake bars using the oatmeal cookie mix

if the ingredients are fairly the same in the Krusteaz & Betty Crocker brand here are a couple non-cookie idea (both recipes copied from Betty Crocker's website):

Apple Crumble

Filling
3 large apples, peeled, coarsely chopped (about 3 cups)
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1 to 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
1/4 cup cold butter or margarine, cut into small pieces
Topping
1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crockerฎ oatmeal cookie mix
1/2 cup butter or margarine, melted
1/2 cup chopped pecans

1. Heat oven to 300ฐF. Spray bottom and sides of 8-inch square (2-quart) glass baking dish with cooking spray. In large bowl, toss filling ingredients. Spread mixture in baking dish.
2. In same large bowl, stir cookie mix and melted butter until crumbly. Sprinkle over filling.
3. Bake 40 minutes. Remove from oven; sprinkle with pecans. Bake 15 to 20 minutes longer or until topping is golden brown. Serve warm or at room temperature.

High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Heat oven to 325ฐF.

Apple Streusel Cheesecake Bars

1 pouch (1 lb 1.5 oz) Betty Crockerฎ oatmeal cookie mix
1/2 cup firm butter or margarine
2 packages (8 oz each) cream cheese, softened
1/2 cup sugar
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg
1 can (21 oz) apple pie filling
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup chopped walnuts

1. Heat oven to 350ฐF. Spray bottom and sides of 13x9-inch pan with cooking spray.
2. Place cookie mix in large bowl. With pastry blender or fork, cut in butter until mixture is crumbly and coarse. Reserve 1 1/2 cups crumb mixture; press remaining crumbs in bottom of pan. Bake 10 minutes.
3. Meanwhile, in large bowl, beat cream cheese, sugar, flour, vanilla and egg with electric mixer on medium speed until smooth.
4. Spread cream cheese mixture evenly over partially baked crust. In medium bowl, mix pie filling and cinnamon. Spoon evenly over cream cheese mixture. Sprinkle reserved crumbs over top. Sprinkle with walnuts.
5. Bake 35 to 40 minutes longer or until light golden brown. Cool about 30 minutes. Refrigerate to chill, about 2 hours. For bars, cut into 6 rows by 4 rows. Store covered in refrigerator.
High Altitude (3500-6500 ft): Bake 40 to 45 minutes.