Looking For Advice On Buying A Steam Mop

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 05:18 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

jmcbr has posted more than 25 good deals
Help Sign Looking for advice on buying a steam mop

I think I'm going to finally do it. Looking for tips/advice on which brand. I am leaning toward the shark deluxe ($95 at amazon), but am afraid of making a costly mistake. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Michelle
The Following User Says Thank You to jmcbr For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 10-21-2010, 05:40 AM

RE: Looking for advice on buying a steam mop

My Mood/Status:
SavingSadie has posted more than 300 great deals!SavingSadie has posted more than 300 great deals!SavingSadie has posted more than 300 great deals!SavingSadie has posted more than 300 great deals!
My best friend worships her Shark mop. I'm about to make the plunge myself. Do you have access to a Costco nearby? There is a great deal on Sharks right now if you do.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SavingSadie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 05:58 AM

I don't have a costco (wish I did). Do you know how much they are at Costco?
I am trying to hold off 'til black friday on any big purchases, but it's getting hard.
Thanks.
Michelle
Old 10-21-2010, 08:40 AM

Finally got my q's organized!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have two friends who tried the Shark. One hated it and returned it, the other said hers broke. I have had other Shark items and found them to not be good.

I have a Bissell Steam mop. I bought mine at Sears, but now I've seen them at Target. I really like it! I looked at the reviews on Amazon before deciding to buy the Bissell.
Old 10-21-2010, 08:44 AM

@.@
Jurassic Member

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I got a shark steam mop off of woot @ 12, shipped. The reviews then were 50/50 but I took the risk. I sent it to mom and she said it's a piece of cr@p

IDK how different the deluxe model is, but @ 95, it better work for you. I suggest you google for more reviews before you buy it.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:03 AM

Saving money, one coupon at a time!!

My Mood/Status:
Cricketm has posted more than 300 great deals!Cricketm has posted more than 300 great deals!Cricketm has posted more than 300 great deals!Cricketm has posted more than 300 great deals!
Based upon much research, I bought a Haan steam mop from Amazon... LOVE it!! My parents got a shark after seeing my Haan, and ended up returning it (they obviously hated it). I love using Amazon to get product reviews from users (no matter where I end up buying the product ... but it *does* usually end up being Amazon because it's almost impossible to beat the price points).
Good luck - and let us know how you like whatever you end up purchasing!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Cricketm For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 09:24 AM

Redbankgirl has posted more than 200 great deals!Redbankgirl has posted more than 200 great deals!Redbankgirl has posted more than 200 great deals!
I have one and love it and was not sure how I would like it to begin with but my whole family likes it. Got mine from Belk before I was a coupon addict
The Following User Says Thank You to Redbankgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 09:25 AM

vickeigh has posted more than 50 good deals
I have the deluxe Shark steam mop. I actually got it on sale at Kohl's then I had a 30% discount so I ended up paying sixty something for it. It works well on getting up sticky messes from the kids & dog without having to scrub. I was told that you could use this on hardwoods but our floor man did not recommend it. He said to just use the swiffer not steam. I previously had a Bissel but I hated that one & sold it on craigslist. I also have a Shark vacuum and I love it. Some people love Shark & others hate them.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:36 AM

Finally got my q's organized!
AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!mochamom25 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I wanted the Haan one. When Linens N Things was going out of business here, they had one for $75 but at the time I didn't have the money.
Old 10-21-2010, 09:48 AM

Blessings

My Mood/Status:
jcgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jcgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jcgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jcgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jcgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jcgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jcgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jcgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jcgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!jcgirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Thought I wanted one until I used my friend's several times. I didn't like it. Maybe I wasn't using right. It cleaned fine but pushed what was cleaned up in front of it. I had to use a paper towel to them wipe you the black line on the floor at the end of each row I mopped. And you'll need more than the 2 pads that come with it if you have much area to mop. My friend has a what would be considered a small to fair amount of moppable surface in her house and the 2 pads that came with hers just barely did the job and the water had to be refilled to do the complete job. She has a regular shark steam mop. I bought a different steamer that would allow me to mop and clean to other surfaces. I'd been looking at what she has and was glad I hadn't spent the money because I would have been unhappy.
The Following User Says Thank You to jcgirl For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 01:01 PM

Blessed by the Lord
Jesus's friend

My Mood/Status:
shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!shelleyf has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
I never had one because I don't have the money. I don't think I would like one though because I know others that have them and they don't work well. I think the only way to really get your floors clean is the old-fashioned way unfortunately. A regular mop, bucket, elbow grease and a good floor cleaner. I mop every day this way and my floors are always spotless. If you mop every day it is so much easier. Only takes a few minutes.

I love to pray for others. If you need prayers please send me a PM and please keep me in your prayers/
The Following User Says Thank You to shelleyf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-21-2010, 01:23 PM

daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!daygo22 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I just bought a Shark steam mop a few days ago. Honestly, I think they're overpriced. I feel like I get more satisfaction cleaning my house the old-fashioned way with hot water and Simple Green...
Old 10-22-2010, 05:21 AM

Thanks for all the tips. I think I'll try to hold off 'til black friday, and snag a deal. Plus I think I'll buy it at a brick&mortar so I can return it if i'm not happy.
Michelle
Old 10-22-2010, 06:46 AM

@.@
Jurassic Member

My Mood/Status:
joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!joshmamabear has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
^^ that's a good plan to buy it from a B&M store. if I was spending over $100, I'd also buy it from a store I can go to and do immediate returns if they sold me a 'lemon'.

for small purchases where the shipping will be deducted, I'd rather keep the cr@p than go through the rigorous return process.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:43 PM

loves yellow.
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!YellowWoman has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have a friend who raves immensely about the H2O Mop...H2O Mop® - Thane USA
However, she lives in another state and I've never tried it, so I can't do any recommending. She's usually a hard sell on products, so that's the only reason I mention it. I wonder if anyone on here has tried that one? Good luck!
Old 10-28-2010, 05:04 AM

Saving money, one coupon at a time!!

My Mood/Status:
Cricketm has posted more than 300 great deals!Cricketm has posted more than 300 great deals!Cricketm has posted more than 300 great deals!Cricketm has posted more than 300 great deals!
The reviews on the H2O Mop on Amazon are ...ehhh. Seems like they have serious quality issues with the product (not the concept). For the same money, you can get a Haan, which has much better reviews (I have one, and LOVE it as well)
The Following User Says Thank You to Cricketm For This Useful Post: