Major Pet Problems! HELP!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-10-2008, 06:03 AM
is a tired mommy of two!

My Mood/Status:
Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Major Pet Problems! HELP!

I really need help with my furry babies! They are all misbehaving. I have two cats and a dog. My cats are 8 and 10 years old and I have had both of them since they were 8 weeks old. One of my cats (the 8 year old) is leaving me ‘tootsie rolls’ everywhere!!! She is so litterboxed trained I do not get it! My dog, Maggie, cannot hold her bladder anymore. She is 8 years old as well and we know she was severely abused as a puppy because of her reactions and she has seizures due to the abuse. My brother found Maggie when she was 2 years old in a box in a parking lot.

Do not get me wrong but I do not know if I can handle it anymore. I LOVE my furry babies but my 7.5 month old will be crawling soon and I cannot have her crawling in this!

My cat has long hair and I think her tootsie rolls are getting caught so she shakes them off wherever she can (sorry, for the nasty visual) and Maggie I think is just getting old and her health doesn’t help. The Vet said they are both health otherwise.

Any suggestions?
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-10-2008, 06:07 AM

RE: Major Pet Problems! HELP!

:)
Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!kimmyann123 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
im sorry its not funny but tootsie rolls...thats funny
Old 05-10-2008, 06:30 AM

is loving Kroger deals

My Mood/Status:
mrslukebrown has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mrslukebrown has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mrslukebrown has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mrslukebrown has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mrslukebrown has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mrslukebrown has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!mrslukebrown has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
i cant believe you call them toosie rolls. that's funny for me too BUT i dont really have any advice except that i also am concerned about my dog around my 7 mo old, who will be crawling soon as well... it makes me nervous that she (super hyper) might run over him and all that!!! i hoep someone can offer better advice... sorry i cant<3
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
's wife to Luke
The Following User Says Thank You to mrslukebrown For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2008, 06:34 AM

I love Target!
AFC Moderator

My Mood/Status:
princesspsu57 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!princesspsu57 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!princesspsu57 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!princesspsu57 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!princesspsu57 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!princesspsu57 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!princesspsu57 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!princesspsu57 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!princesspsu57 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!princesspsu57 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!princesspsu57 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
For the cat, you could try to trim the fur away that the "tootsie rolls" are getting caught on...this is something you'd probably have to keep doing every now and then, because of the fur growing back.

My family is the "crazy cat family" back in PA, so I think I've dealt with almost every cat problem there is...Hope this helps some!
The Following User Says Thank You to princesspsu57 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2008, 09:02 AM

is a tired mommy of two!

My Mood/Status:
Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!Little J's Mom has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Yes, I know Tootsie rolls. I don't know how it started but it just stuck!
Old 05-10-2008, 09:02 AM

is a tired mommy of two!

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspsu57 View Post
For the cat, you could try to trim the fur away that the "tootsie rolls" are getting caught on...this is something you'd probably have to keep doing every now and then, because of the fur growing back.

My family is the "crazy cat family" back in PA, so I think I've dealt with almost every cat problem there is...Hope this helps some!
I'll try that, thanks!
Old 05-10-2008, 03:33 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Twilightpixi has posted more than 25 good deals
I agree with what princesspsu57 said about trimming your kitty's back end! I have a long haired cat and I have to give him fur cuts to keep from having the "tootsie roll" problem. Now with your dog I'm not sure what to do for her unless maybe you get pee pads for her to use in the house? Then that would maybe make it easier for her to get where she supposed to go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Twilightpixi For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2008, 08:20 PM

AFC Star Member

missyo has posted more than 150 good deals!missyo has posted more than 150 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by princesspsu57 View Post

I used to do this- it helped, but looked kind of funny! It never really seemed to grow back/fill in either!
Old 05-10-2008, 09:57 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
dzhope has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dzhope has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dzhope has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dzhope has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dzhope has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dzhope has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!dzhope has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Here's a doggie incontinence page:

Dog Incontinence Causes And Solutions

Apparently they make puppy diapers and there are some meds that help (but apparently some have to be highly controlled to keep meth makers at bay).

With the kitty, I dunno...maybe, too you could switch litter? Some may not be as prone to getting ummm, so...????(can't find the right word here) so the tootsie rolls wouldn't stick to her hair as much? Just a thought.
Old 05-10-2008, 11:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
laney5454 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!laney5454 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!laney5454 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!laney5454 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!laney5454 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!laney5454 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!laney5454 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!laney5454 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!laney5454 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
For the cat - trimming hair would be helpful but also if cat is going on rug and actually getting in position to deficate versus dropping off back end then there is a behavioral problem.

If so, isolate the cat in a small room to retrain it with the litter pan which could take up to 3 months. Other things that could be done are to clean the litter pan religiously, some cats will not go if pan is dirty. Do not change litter with what is on sale each week or month, as this change can cause cats to eliminate elsewhere.

You also should have a litter pan on each floor as some cats are too lazy to go up or downstairs and you should have one more litter pan then the number of cats that you have.

As for the dog, if she is leaving puddles on urine where she sleeps than it is likely urinary incontinence which is common in older spayed female dogs. If that is the case, she has no concious control over it. You would need to have her examined and a urine test done to rule out infection. If no infection the doctor would likely put her on Phenylpropanalamine which is a daily medication or diethyl-stilbestriol which ends up being a weekly medication. Both medications would require routine testing to make sure not causing any damage.

Now if you see the dog peeing in the house and getting in position like I said for the cat, then that is a behavioral problem and the dog would need to be retrained also.

Dog diapers are available and I use them for my 14 year old dog with kidney problems which cause increased urination but she forgets sometimes and just wants to go wherever.

Hope that information helps.

Laney

AFC is my FAVORITE coupon site!
Old 05-11-2008, 01:24 AM

is searching high and low for Pampers Points!

My Mood/Status:
LauraO has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!LauraO has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!LauraO has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!LauraO has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!LauraO has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!LauraO has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!LauraO has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!LauraO has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!LauraO has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!LauraO has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!LauraO has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Guess what! I know what the problem is, because I had the same trouble with my little doggies. You have a 7 1/2 month old. I have an 8 1/2 month old. With the new baby, your animal babies feel like they have been replaced and are leaving tootsie rolls as evidence of those feelings! You need to try to make much more time for your pets, giving them extra attention, playtime and treats (especially when baby is around them). This will help the problem. It has for me! Let us all know if this helps!
Michael Landon, (1936 - 1991)
Old 05-11-2008, 02:10 AM

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraO View Post
Guess what! I know what the problem is, because I had the same trouble with my little doggies. You have a 7 1/2 month old. I have an 8 1/2 month old. With the new baby, your animal babies feel like they have been replaced and are leaving tootsie rolls as evidence of those feelings! You need to try to make much more time for your pets, giving them extra attention, playtime and treats (especially when baby is around them). This will help the problem. It has for me! Let us all know if this helps!

I was just getting ready to post the same thing! The dynamics of your household has changed and your pet's behavior is a sign of the stress they feel, combined with old age and disruption of their routine.

Tags
major, pet, problems