Putting A Cat On A Diet ...

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2014, 10:09 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Danira has posted more than 300 great deals!Danira has posted more than 300 great deals!Danira has posted more than 300 great deals!Danira has posted more than 300 great deals!
Putting a cat on a diet ...

Ugh. Need to put my 7 year old cat on a diet. He weighs 11 1/2 pounds but is the height of about an 8 month old cat. He is too round to clean his butt and he is quite smelly back there. They want him to lose 2 1/2 pounds. Wouldn't be hard if he was the only cat in the house. Am getting the other cats used to eating on my kitchen table. It was that or the counters because he can't jump that high. But they are still going for his food when he comes out to eat. He has been antisocial for most of his life since he has been brought in {he was a stray} he sleeps under my bed or on top of it. Simple fix would be to feed him strictly under the bed but then he would come out less. Vet brought up that one of the other cats are bullying him. He actually gets on the largest cat I have and bites his neck because he wants to be dominant. He is fixed.

I have a separate bedroom exclusively for ebay selling where no cats are allowed. Bought a laser pointer and will be trying that today to try and get him to exercise a bit in the ebay room.

He is supposed to eat about 1/3 cup in the morning and the same at night. He just came out to eat and today was the first day I was able to monitor his eating since I did quit my job. He ate maybe a 1/3 of the 1/3 cup. He will play with toys when he comes out for awhile. He runs and plays with the other cats, he is just not big on people except me. When the husband is home, he isn't out at much. Vet of course is closed and with me quitting my job {had been a long time coming}, the husband's hours have been reduced because he works at a plant that supplies auto parts and does close down during the holidays. Won't be able to get him to the vet for a few weeks. He does have an appt on the 7th for his last booster shot so I will see if I can have blood tests run and pay that when I can. Thankfully I have been using the same vet for about 7 years and they have allowed me to be short on the bill a few times, but they do get paid. It's always been less than $20 though and I know that the blood work alone is $65 on top of his $24 booster, which I can cover the booster.

Has anyone ever had a similar situation? I am starting to think its more of a medical issue than a diet one. If it turns out to be not a medical problem, any other idea's on how to get him to lose weight? He has already had to be put under twice within the past month so they could clean him back there and he already needs it again. He won't let me do it.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Danira For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-03-2015, 02:07 PM

RE: Putting a cat on a diet ...

My Mood/Status:
Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Random Refunder has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
My first thought was the laser pointer also (or in general, more exercise if your cat is in physical/health condition). Sounds like life under the bed isn't a lot of exercise, but it could be more than one thing contributing to the weight. (Is he still gaining, or is the problem not losing the 2 1/2lbs he needs to lose?)

As for vet bills, have you checked into the Care Credit Financing program for veterinarian costs? Just a thought. Good luck!

(edited to add: "My son applied for and received the care credit pet health card because he's in college and couldn't afford a procedure one of his pets needed, he said it was very easy, but that's the only first hand experience with it that I know of" )
Old 01-07-2015, 11:48 AM

My Mood/Status:
Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
OK I'm no expert here but I think the only way you'll get him to lose weight is to restrict his food to a certain amount each day. If he doesn't eat it within 15 minutes or so, pick it up and no more food till next feeding. He'll get the hint quickly and trust me, he won't starve. Animals are smarter than that.

I would also recommend switching to a high-protein (meat as first ingredient) canned food with little to no filler (rice, corn, etc.). Dry food is almost always filled with lousy fillers and low protein. Then the cats eat and eat because they aren't getting the levels of protein they need. I swear they also eat out of boredom, another reason to not leave food out all the time (not sure if you do or not, just saying).

We feed our cats canned food once in the morning and once in the evening each day. It's not as convenient as dry and also not as convenient as "free feeding" but I am determined to not go down the feline diabetes road again. I've had two cats that developed it and were insulin dependent and both were free fed dry all their lives. I learned my lesson.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Tonia For This Useful Post:
Old 01-07-2015, 01:55 PM

My Mood/Status:
Danira has posted more than 300 great deals!Danira has posted more than 300 great deals!Danira has posted more than 300 great deals!Danira has posted more than 300 great deals!
At his last appointment, the vet said to feed what the package says for a 9 pound cat. I only buy 4Health brand of dry food. Its Tractor Supply's version of the Blue brand but $10 cheaper for an 18 pound bag. Its made with no fillers and no garbage. He hasn't even been eating the full recommended amount. We have been trying to exercise with a laser. He has been coming out a bit more but refuses to be in the ebay room with the laser. He wants love instead in there. I thought we were doing good but his appointment today, he put on 4 ounces since last month. They also sedated and cleaned him up again. There wasn't as much of a mess back there this time, but he was inflamed again and it looked worse once the mess was removed.

I would love if he wasn't under the bed as much but he has been that way since he was brought in. He is just anti social unless he wants love. The vet put him on a quarter can twice a day of gastrointestinal food. Told me to switch to a dry food for sensitive stomach but to feed the same amount as a 9 pound cat. He also got put on Clavomox for the rawness. Also am supposed to try and put Desitin on it but the vet even agrees that it probably won't happen.

He goes back in on the 21st for a check up. Will see how it goes until then. Have never applied for the care credit as my credit is horrible. The money situation is better and my vet is always good if I am short. If nothing has improved then I think she is going to have to look at other options, testing, x-rays, whatever.

The only health issues I have ever had with any of my cats has been the crystals with my one male. He was on daily meds.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:58 PM

My Mood/Status:
And he doesn't like the canned food or the Clavamox ....