Sudden Changes

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2014, 05:42 AM
exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have a miniature poodle, he's 6.5 years old. I got him when I first became too disabled to work. He is constantly at my side, stays in my lap most of the day.

He was housebroken pretty quickly as a puppy, we never had problems. He's also quiet, not a barker or a whiner.

Until this summer. Now, if I leave the house (even if someone else stays home) he BELLOWS out crying! It sounds like he's trying to talk/scream. He does it again when I return.

Now when I'm gone, he seems to make a concerted effort to completely empty his colon and bladder! The most I've ever been gone was 3 hours. I can't imagine how he's doing this.

Now he's started urinating at night on the fridge and stove, and I caught him the other night with his leg hiked at the ottoman!

I'm about at the end of my rope. Nothing has changed in the house, so I don't know what his problem is. Any ideas? (We let him out 20 times a day trying to avoid this!)

Last edited by Goddessoflubbock; 08-26-2014 at 05:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 08-26-2014, 07:45 AM

RE: Sudden changes

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

tjsmith79 has posted more than 75 good deals!
I know cats and dogs are not alike (had to get that out of the way!) My cat started going outside her litter box and she had a urinary tract infection. It is worth seeing your vet about just to make sure everything is good. Best of luck to you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to tjsmith79 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-26-2014, 04:29 PM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsmith79
I know cats and dogs are not alike (had to get that out of the way!) My cat started going outside her litter box and she had a urinary tract infection. It is worth seeing your vet about just to make sure everything is good. Best of luck to you.
Hadn't even considered that! The vet was in next weeks plans if he didnt improve but I will call in the morning.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 05:31 AM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
If he is unaltered it could be prostate issues, might want to try to get a sample of the urine for the vet.

If another dog has been in your house, that dog could have had an accident and your dog is marking over it.

Although for most cases marking out of the blue like this is likely medical, not behavioral. Better to get him to the vet as soon as practical, to get it figured out sooner so that a marking habit doesn't develop.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-27-2014, 10:03 AM

iwantadeal has posted more than 10 good deals
Best to get him to a vet as he will be able to diagnose the problem better.
The Following User Says Thank You to iwantadeal For This Useful Post:
Old 08-28-2014, 10:21 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
I got an appointment for him tomorrow. Hopefully it's nothing serious, he's my constant companion!
Old 08-29-2014, 07:39 AM

couponfiend has posted more than 200 great deals!couponfiend has posted more than 200 great deals!couponfiend has posted more than 200 great deals!
I have 2 mini poodles, my boy is 13 and half and my girl is 6 and a half. when my girl had a raging bladder problem she was sissing in the house. She had blood even in the pee on my carpet. I freaked. My boy would explode before ever soiling in the house. he is fixed. however I had a poodle before them that peed all over my home out of spite even if he just had relieved outside if I left him upstairs to go downstairs to eat with my mom, we had mother daughter set up, he would soil all over upstairs. he would siss on a lot of my furniture. he got even with me! I think your guy is 'pissed' off with you, especially when you say he stays in your lap. He is too dependent on you. you have to wean him from you a bit for his own good. better to do it now than when there is an emergency like one of you is sick and have to be apart. good luck, just be firm. try giving him a special treat or toy when you leave. I always give my kids each a biscuit when I come or go.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to couponfiend For This Useful Post:
Old 08-29-2014, 09:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
I would definitely have him checked out medically but we had a poodle who was really bad with separation anxiety and would tear things up. I don't think he ever went to the bathroom in the house, but since he's so close to you - it could me an emotional issue too.
Andrew, Mom to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Mallory, Missy, Summer, Boo Dog, Maggie & Slick),
(George),
(Cajun, Sonny, Rooster) and of course many many
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2014, 01:38 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Well he got a clean bill of health from the vet! I was really worried.

Vet says it's emotional! He said it's possible that when we were out one time something scared him and now he's afraid to be alone. He suggested leaving him for 5 minutes - praise good behavior. Leave him for 10 minutes - praise good behavior, etc. Stay on a step if he pees or poops. When we go out longer for now go back to putting him in the crate. So we will try this.
Old 01-19-2015, 04:24 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
UPDATE

After trying several different methods we found a combination worked. First, I left for very short periods of time then rewarded his positive behavior. Second, I'd pull his food up if I knew I'd be going out, and made sure he emptied out back before we left.

There were a few glitches (mostly when I unexpectedly had to go to the ER) but now he finally doesn't let go all over. He still screams with joy when I get home but then he heads right out back!!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post: