Splitting XL Flea Medication Viles For Small Dogs

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2014, 12:37 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

jgamble0007 has posted more than 10 good deals
Splitting XL Flea medication Viles for Small Dogs

Ok, so I have come to realize that you can split certain flea medications for larger dogs into smaller doses for smaller dogs. Stop reading now if you think I'm crazy LOL.

I use pet armor Pro Advanced, and even though it's $10 a month, that's still a good little chunk of change. My dog falls into the 11-22lb, with 1 ML of medication in the box(3 months) and the same % dosages of active ingredients as larger dog sizes - the only difference is the larger dog dose is 6 ML per box(3 treatments per box), so it's the same drug strength - just more of it.

Since I am a Respiratory therapist and know how liquid dosing and medications work - especially for liquid forms of medications. I have often wondered if I could split these drugs up.

One day I found a listing on Ebay for the medication I use on my dog and found instructions for doing so.

you need a few things: 2 syringes (with or without needle, Needle is good to stick the packaging directly to draw the med up), your flea medication, proper drug dosage calculated for your dogs weight and some alcohol swabs to clean surfaces. Use one syringe for storage, the other for application, and clean the opening of the syringe before and after use with alcohol. You could do out a fancy drug formula for your dogs weight OR you can look at the package dosage specifically for your dogs weight and see what the dosage is - which I find much easier.

Since the large dogs dosage is 6x the size of the smaller dog's dosage, you would get 18 treatments for the price of 3! With my 1 box on sale for $15, it's under $1 a month!

Just a thought, maybe I'm going a bit too far. I would definitely bring this up with your vet, especially if you use a expensive topical flea treatment.

Last edited by jgamble0007; 05-28-2014 at 12:42 PM.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2014, 04:16 PM

RE: Splitting XL Flea medication Viles for Small Dogs

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have used every topical on the market and none of them are killing the fleas. I switched my dog to comfortis and yes it is expensive but no more fleas.
Old 05-30-2014, 04:47 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have been doing this for years with Frontline. I actually still buy the smallest size but one vial gets all five of my dogs. For me it started with not wanting to treat a dog with a lot more than the appropriate amount even though I was buying the smallest vial. It didn't seem like a great idea to treat a one pound dog with something meant to treat a 25 pound dog so I asked the vet. That was when it was mentioned that it was ok to split.

We haven't noticed a problem with fleas or ticks since doing this. A friend did have issues after splitting but she takes her dogs to her parents farm and so they encounter a bit more wildlife. But work fine for us in suburbia.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-08-2014, 08:41 AM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I do this with I think advantage. My cat and dogs all share one tube. I'm switching the dogs though, I didn't realize the one I'm using doesn't have tick protection.

Just get some syringes, an amber vile and duct tape the bottle up right in a baggie in your fridge, in case of leaks.

I'm a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
who is a
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act
Old 09-08-2014, 07:35 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla Stryker
I do this with I think advantage. My cat and dogs all share one tube. I'm switching the dogs though, I didn't realize the one I'm using doesn't have tick protection. Just get some syringes, an amber vile and duct tape the bottle up right in a baggie in your fridge, in case of leaks.
You might want to double check the active ingredients in the dog and cat formulations. I know some of the dog flea meds can be toxic to cats. I don't have cats so I don't remember which brands specifically were a problem, just that some were.

Old 09-08-2014, 09:24 PM

Lift while you climb

My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLance68 View Post
I have used every topical on the market and none of them are killing the fleas. I switched my dog to comfortis and yes it is expensive but no more fleas.
This is what we used last year. It stopped working for us and we've tried a few of the topicals since then. This has been the worst summer ever and fighting the fleas has been a constant, expensive battle. We're switching to the seresto collars as soon as this round of the latest topical we put on the dogs wears off. I've heard very good things about them. I hope they work, particularly on one of my pooches that is super-allergic to flea bites. He has been miserable.

As far as splitting dosages, we've always done this. For 2 medium dogs and 1 extra large dog, we used 2 of the extra large dog vials and split one between the medium dogs. When we used the brands that only the vet could give out, they were fine with selling it to us this way. They provided care for all of the animals so they were familiar with what pets were getting it. Same with the cats. Got the one that was for their combined weight and split it between the two of them.

DELTA region for Kroger stores

Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?