Is Purina One Cat Food Bad?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2013, 05:07 PM
Team Free Will!!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Is Purina One Cat food bad?

I have always given my cats dry cat food mixed with wet cat food ever since they were weaned. I usually give them Purina's Be Happy dry cat food but with the recent $5.15/1 Purina Pro Plan/One/Beyond I bought some Purina One.

Today Zazzles was lively as ever running around and playing then after I fed him lunch he became very tired. He's slept all day and only wakes up if I move or shake him. I am worried because I read online (which should be taken with a grain of salt I know) that Purina has had a ton of complaints lodged against them for pet deaths! I have stopped giving him dry food completely and plan to only feed him the wet cat food. It is Purina Pro Plan wet cat food and friskies (also Purina) but the complaints are only lodged against their dry pet food.

Does anyone know if this is true? They've been eating the food most of the month so maybe it's finally built up enough it's making him sick? Any advice would be loved esp since we recently lost his brother, Buddy, to a strange sickness and I am worried that's what killed him!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
work, couponing, housework, and my sweet girl
The Following User Says Thank You to Aradia_Silvermoon For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 12-29-2013, 05:21 PM

RE: Is Purina One Cat food bad?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
There are a couple of things to know/remember when feeding cat food - one, cats are very susceptible to a urinary tract infection and I always recommend feeding something that addresses this issue. I believe Iams is pretty decent in that dept unless they've already had the infection then you need to go to a prescription diet. The other thing - if you feed wet/canned food, you need to increase the amount you offer them because of the difference in moisture. When the moisture content goes up, they are getting less nutrition per ounce.

You know your cats best but also remember that it's very common for cats to sleep ALOT.
Andrew, Mom to
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
(Mallory, Missy, Summer, Boo Dog, Maggie & Slick),
(George),
(Cajun, Sonny, Rooster) and of course many many
The Following User Says Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2013, 05:40 PM

Team Free Will!!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by polydoly13 View Post
There are a couple of things to know/remember when feeding cat food - one, cats are very susceptible to a urinary tract infection and I always recommend feeding something that addresses this issue. I believe Iams is pretty decent in that dept unless they've already had the infection then you need to go to a prescription diet. The other thing - if you feed wet/canned food, you need to increase the amount you offer them because of the difference in moisture. When the moisture content goes up, they are getting less nutrition per ounce.

You know your cats best but also remember that it's very common for cats to sleep ALOT.
I read about the UTI problem with cats so the Purina One I bought was the urinary health kind. I have some Iams q's so I may switch to that since I am very unnerved about Purina right now.

What do you mean by difference in moisture? Do you mean the increase in moisture via the weather...like snow? I normally give them a scoop (about 2oz) of dry cat food and 1 can, the tiny ones not the big ones like Friskies, morning and night. He isn't a year old yet and I really have no idea how often to feed him! Also it's not normal for him to sleep so much! He is usually a very active and playful kitty who only seems to sleep at night....he's never slept so much that I know of! I was off today and we played around this morning but since about noon he's done nothing but sleep and it's 6:40pm right now and he's still asleep! He didn't even jump or flinch when the vacuum was turned on and he normally freaks out!

Some back story: Mamma cat gave birth in my house, she is a feral cat, and I raised her kittens since it was in February and they would have died outside. Of the 5 cats I got 2 of them good homes and the other 3 were let outside at 12 weeks since my landlord forbids animals. Sandy was killed by a car during the summer and for (seemingly) no reason at all Buddy was found dead one morning. I immediatly threw caution to the wind and said "To hell with the lease I won't lose my Zazzles too!" he's been inside ever since. I plan to get him an appointment with the vet tomorrow to get him checked out.
Old 12-29-2013, 06:26 PM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Good to know that Purina also has a UTI formula - not every cat owner is aware of this condition and it's VERY costly to have a vet treat it once it happens. And that's only IF you catch it in time - many times it can be lethal.

I'm not sure why the other kitten died, could be any number of reasons.

What I mean by moisture is the moisture content of the food. For example - the dry food has very little moisture so 2 oz of it is much more nutrient dense than 2 oz of canned food. So you can't feed them in equal portions - if you take away the dry completely, you may need to feed the regular small can of food PLUS 4 more oz of canned since it has such a high moisture content. I don't know what exactly you are feeding, so don't know the conversion, but kinda think of it like eating soup versus a thick hearty sandwich. The sandwich will stick with you longer, keep you fuller longer, where as the soup will fill you up but over time you might eventually lose weight because you are consuming so much liquid that doesn't pack quite the same punch. I don't know that I'm explaining it very well but I hope you get my point.

You also mentioned that you were off work today - do you normally work during the day?? So you don't really know how much he sleeps? It's VERY normal for a cat to sleep 75% or more of their day away. Especially as they get older, out of that playful kitten stage. I would still take him to the vet, have him checked, wormed, maybe even vaccinated. You are on the right track, you can also ask them about a good feeding schedule, amount to feed him, etc.
Andrew, Mom to
(Mallory, Missy, Summer, Boo Dog, Maggie & Slick),
(George),
(Cajun, Sonny, Rooster) and of course many many
The Following User Says Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2013, 08:11 PM

Team Free Will!!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by polydoly13 View Post
Good to know that Purina also has a UTI formula - not every cat owner is aware of this condition and it's VERY costly to have a vet treat it once it happens. And that's only IF you catch it in time - many times it can be lethal.

I'm not sure why the other kitten died, could be any number of reasons.

What I mean by moisture is the moisture content of the food. For example - the dry food has very little moisture so 2 oz of it is much more nutrient dense than 2 oz of canned food. So you can't feed them in equal portions - if you take away the dry completely, you may need to feed the regular small can of food PLUS 4 more oz of canned since it has such a high moisture content. I don't know what exactly you are feeding, so don't know the conversion, but kinda think of it like eating soup versus a thick hearty sandwich. The sandwich will stick with you longer, keep you fuller longer, where as the soup will fill you up but over time you might eventually lose weight because you are consuming so much liquid that doesn't pack quite the same punch. I don't know that I'm explaining it very well but I hope you get my point.

You also mentioned that you were off work today - do you normally work during the day?? So you don't really know how much he sleeps? It's VERY normal for a cat to sleep 75% or more of their day away. Especially as they get older, out of that playful kitten stage. I would still take him to the vet, have him checked, wormed, maybe even vaccinated. You are on the right track, you can also ask them about a good feeding schedule, amount to feed him, etc.

Oh I didn't consider the differences wet vs. dry....I will have to look at the can and bag to see how much more wet I should feed. They always list crude protein and such!

Yes I always work day shift and am home at night....I have every weekend off. Normally during my days off he is lively and follows me around on my chores and such. I also cleaned out his cat box and only found two small-ish clumps. Normally there is ummm both kinds in there and multiple clumps so I am just concerned across the board .
Old 12-29-2013, 09:13 PM

ISO--PAMPERS POINTS

My Mood/Status:
ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
On christmas eve i took my male cat to the vet at 8pm. He hadnt went pee all day. He would get in the box for about 10 minutes and nothing. Then get out and meow alot. So after spending $312.00 at the vet $102 being the office visit fee since it was xmas eve and emergency vet. He had a uti. They put him on meds and switched his food to a prescription diet which is 6.6 lbs of cat food for $22.00.

The vet asked me what i have been feeding him i told him purina one smartblend dry cat food and he told me thats actually not a bad food. But now we are on prescription diet..

**ISO-BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION**

**I GET LOTS OF INSERTS WEEKLY, IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING PLEASE PM ME**
The Following User Says Thank You to ambtay79 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2013, 11:01 PM

My Mood/Status:
SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I'm feeding the elder cat we rescued purina urinary formula and he's responding well to it, he's 17 so more prone to UTI's..... So sorry about the other 2 kitty's, I do understand you were at a catch 22 with them landlord vs. heart however without a vet check no way to say why the other died, since they were born indoors it's kind of hard to adjust at that age to being let out and they get too curious. If your ever in that situation again let me know and I will gladly find them a rescue or foster, as I network animals, help with transport and work with dozens of rescues in many states.

As the other poster said as they grow out of the kitty stage they will start to wind down a bit and sleep tons, if your home around 5-7am see if he's active than as this is the most "hyper" time frame for a cat odd I know LoL my cat is beyond lazy yet when I get up to potty she's pouncing back and forth, playing with her bells and chasing her tail in the semi dark at 6am just weird. Also if you switched foods recently try buying a bag of the old and the new, just an example start with 1/4 cup of new 3/4 cup of old, after about 3 days go to 1/2 1/2 mixture, another 3 days 3/4 new 1/4 old, then full new to see if he adjusts better sometimes their little systems react to change a bit to harsh
to Miguel
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
and FINALLY after 12 years welcomed
which makes us
The Following User Says Thank You to SPOILEDTCANGEL For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 06:03 AM

tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Wow. So a few days ago I ran out of cat food. I use Iams. I remembered I had some of the Purina money maker food so I have it to her before bed. I woke up in tge morning and there was vomit everywhere, then during the day she threw up outside several times. I had dh pick up Iams while he was out and she was fine after that. Ugh....darn food!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tagarza For This Useful Post:
Old 03-05-2014, 09:43 AM

My Mood/Status:
mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
try fancy feast canned food. my cat likes it best out of all the wet cat foods. can usually get a deal at target.

The Following User Says Thank You to mommyslh For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2014, 02:22 AM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Purina One is the only food my cat doesn't vomit.

I'm a
who is a
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act
The Following User Says Thank You to Layla Stryker For This Useful Post:
Old 04-18-2014, 06:22 AM

debbieand1 has posted more than 10 good deals
I feed my cat Purina and have not had a problem. He really does not like any other kind. He is also very picky about his wet food also. He really only likes expensive wet food.
The Following User Says Thank You to debbieand1 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-25-2014, 07:27 AM

Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I feed all 4 of my cat Purina One Urinary dry food because I have two cats that have had urinary blockages. I have never had an issue with it. They also get Friskies wet urinary as well.

I tried all the expensive brands the vet tried to sell me and none of them would eat it. They love the Purina and I have had no UTI issues since putting them on it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Seirith For This Useful Post: