Helping An Old Cat Get Comfortable

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-17-2013, 08:40 AM
Happy, happy, happy

My Mood/Status:
ThisSourthernMomma has posted more than 50 good deals
Helping an old cat get comfortable

My Mom's friend had to get rid of her 13 year old cat because her boyfriend was moving in and he's very allergic to cats. So she asked if we wanted her. Of course I said yes, she's a very sweet cat. Well the cat isn't used to small children and it being loud. Also, I would think being with the same family for 13 years and in the same house that long as well, it would make her a little sad.

She stays hidden all day and only comes out at night once everyone is in bed. She'll get in bed with me as soon as I lay down and that's when I get to spend time with her.

I guess I just want to know if she'll get comfortable and get used to having kids around or if she'll just stay like this? How long will it take?

I can call her out and she'll come out, but when my 3 year old comes around she is outta here....
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 11-17-2013, 06:14 PM

RE: Helping an old cat get comfortable

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Your kitty sounds a lot like a cat we used to have. Even though our cat, Felix, was here from the time our kids were born, he never really liked the noise and commotion. I made up a bed for him in my bedroom closet, and closed the door almost all the way so it was nice and dark and quiet in there, and he slept in there pretty much all day. He seemed happy that way.

You could try to let the kids give your kitty a special treat, maybe have them sit on the floor quietly and offer kitty her favorite treats. Or the kids could fill her food bowl for her every day.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonia For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2013, 12:41 AM

Love is Love is happy

My Mood/Status:
DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!DarkRayne24 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I'm glad you took her in and she wasnt sent to the pound. But I have to say, how horrible it is to have an animal for 13 years and just give it up like that. I could never do that. I'd make whoever take medication before I gave up my baby. People are just horrible, can you even imagine what it must be like for that poor cat to lose the only family and home she has ever known. Poor thing.
The Following User Says Thank You to DarkRayne24 For This Useful Post:
Old 11-18-2013, 11:51 AM

Happy, happy, happy

My Mood/Status:
ThisSourthernMomma has posted more than 50 good deals
@darkrayne24 I know...I feel so sorry for the poor girl. I mean we love her and we've had her for a week, but you can tell she's sad. I'm hoping that soon she'll get used to having a 3 year old around and learn to get used to the family, but if not...we'll have our late night cuddle sessions, which is what she prefers right now. It's dark and quiet and that's when she eats and I give her as much attention as I can.