Keeping A Crate Warm For Dogs?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-25-2013, 02:36 AM
is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
keeping a crate warm for dogs?

Our house is extremely poorly insulated.
I'm mostly stuck in the room (two broken feet, a fractured bone in the ankle area, stomach surgery recently..) so it's no big deal to us to be in here with a tiny space heater.

But, our two dogs I worry about with the cold.

We can't afford a 500$ a month heating bill in this tiny shack.. but we cant exactly leave a space heater in their room going all night.

We can't bring them in our room (no space, especially with my wheel chair) and they both have to sleep in their crates at night.

I tried covering their crates with a blanket.. no go. The puppy ate about half the blanket.
I tried an electric blanket under the crates with a blanket on top, propped up.

No go, they were both eaten by puppy again.

Both are anxiety chewers and 60lb puppy is just a puppy chewer.
I'm out of ideas. We can't put a blanket or pad in his box.. We can't get him to wear a coat, he destroys EVERYTHING.

Then there's little dog who is 16lbs. She's a chewer but has a baby blanket in her crate and will sleep in her coat, but she shivers when it hits 70.

It routinely gets to 48 in the house..what can we do?

They can't sleep in bed with us either.. it's a nightmare!

I need all the suggestions I can get, I feel terrible! (But hey..at least the insulation is being done right?)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20131025_043615.jpg (19.0 KB, 51 views)

I'm a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
who is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act
The Following User Says Thank You to Layla Stryker For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-25-2013, 04:58 AM

RE: keeping a crate warm for dogs?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
maybe build a insulated box around the crates???? get a box bigger than the crate and that has a few inches each way from the crate and somehow insulate that?

I bet that is really hard to have dogs that chew... none of my dogs were ever chewers..

My one dog Alex (Samoyed) was a digger though... always dug her way out of the fenced yard... The only thing she chewed was a very thick wire fence we had on our shed - like a smaller higher secured pen in case we left her outside... left her one day and came back and she chewed through the metal.. never again did we leave that girl outside...

Working mommy to 7yr old
and 1yr
;
Mr. Jericho(8) and Ms. River Song(4m)
and
Big Cody(doggy heaven 12/13/11)
Slick Nick (doggy heaven 6/10/14)

The Following User Says Thank You to ArwenEvenstar For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2013, 05:55 AM

Climb the stairs of life and never look back.....

My Mood/Status:
marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!marnimae has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Have you tried a small infrared heater? One for small spaces, they are safe for kids and animals, the electric is minimal and you can control the temp. We have had a edenpure for & or 8 years, but I see they sell them at joblots, biglots, lowes, Home depot. Amazon has them for 500 sq ft for $77 bucks, or a compact one for 800 ft, that was $85 and came w/ a remote. Sorry about your feet and ankle, hope you heal & feel better fast.

A sense of humor is just common sense, dancing." Clive James
Wife to Tony
and mom of DS 7 yrs
and 2 yr old DS
"If the TRUTH makes you uncomfortable, you may want to ask yourself why this is so?"
The Following User Says Thank You to marnimae For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2013, 06:16 AM

My Mood/Status:
SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Aww this is cute we do the same our house is fairly warm in winter but my doxies must have originally came from TX because their ALWAYS cold, it could be 85 and my boy is under blankets or shivering

We do have a space heater but have it on a timer to go on and off every so often, plus blankets my one girl is a chewer she eventually found a blanket she must have liked and didn't chew it oddly it was one of the cheaper ones from cvs that was clearanced to 1.24 a while back bought a dozen just in case
to Miguel
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
and FINALLY after 12 years welcomed
which makes us
The Following User Says Thank You to SPOILEDTCANGEL For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2013, 06:32 AM

crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
A Snugglesafe heat pad would keep her warm. It's like a microwave hot water bottle, but chew-proof. You put it in the microwave for 8 mins and it stays warm up to 10 hrs wrapped in a fleece or towel.

You can do a search and find them on line.
The Following User Says Thank You to crs For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2013, 09:16 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Spoiled - that's a doxie thing. I'm in Texas, our AC went out, she still had to be under a blanket. I've heard it's bc they were bred to hunt badgers so they like being under.

OP They sell space heaters that look like the old fashioned radiators. They are electric but pretty energy efficient. They cycle on/off and you adjust the settings. Haven't bought one in years (they last forever) but they're maybe $75.
The Following User Says Thank You to Goddessoflubbock For This Useful Post:
Old 10-25-2013, 10:23 AM

couponfiend has posted more than 200 great deals!couponfiend has posted more than 200 great deals!couponfiend has posted more than 200 great deals!
Last year after Sandy my house went down to 46 degrees my female 23 pound poodle was shivering. I put 1 sweater on her but she was still shivering so I put another on her and she seemed better. She also sleeps in a crate. But I was able to put blankets over it. She has a lambswool crate liner that is about 2 inches thick. I would try sweaters on the dogs.
Old 10-25-2013, 11:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Goddess that's what I thought too but my 2 girls and 1 boy will even prance around in snow the other fir will run out do her business and run back in ....... Now my boy ugh forget it he looks at me, looks at the snow, back at me and runs back in like I'm not standing or walking in this we have to put doggie pads down in the garage and let him go in there in winter
to Miguel
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
and FINALLY after 12 years welcomed
which makes us
Old 10-25-2013, 03:43 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Is the crate solid on the bottom? If so a heating pad under it may help. I am uncertain how safe that would be though. With one of them being a chewer, its tough to think of something that might help. You've probably already done this but move the crate to an interior wall, that will help.

I grew up with doxies, they are very sweet dogs. All three used to love to snuggle under blankets. On loved to sit right in front of the heater vent. He would hear it kick on and then run right to it! Every year he would get a nasty surprise when we turned the air conditioning on.

Old 10-26-2013, 12:58 AM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marnimae View Post
Have you tried a small infrared heater? One for small spaces, they are safe for kids and animals, the electric is minimal and you can control the temp. We have had a edenpure for & or 8 years, but I see they sell them at joblots, biglots, lowes, Home depot. Amazon has them for 500 sq ft for $77 bucks, or a compact one for 800 ft, that was $85 and came w/ a remote. Sorry about your feet and ankle, hope you heal & feel better fast.
Honestly I've had mixed reviews on these. I've heard they jack up your bill HORRIBLY.

Each room is probably less than 150 square feet (at least their room) so I will look into this.
I thought about just turning on the space heater, making their room toasty and turning it off.. but the problem is the house lets in cold/doesnt retain!

If these really are that good (DF wants one BADLY) I will absolutely buy one!

I'm a
who is a
and landed her

and makes people act
Old 10-26-2013, 01:06 AM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydawn View Post
Is the crate solid on the bottom? If so a heating pad under it may help. I am uncertain how safe that would be though. With one of them being a chewer, its tough to think of something that might help. You've probably already done this but move the crate to an interior wall, that will help.

I grew up with doxies, they are very sweet dogs. All three used to love to snuggle under blankets. On loved to sit right in front of the heater vent. He would hear it kick on and then run right to it! Every year he would get a nasty surprise when we turned the air conditioning on.
Yes, puppy is 60+ lbs (he goes to the vet fo a check up today actually) and a pittie/lab mix.
Pennie (the black one) is 16lbs and a jack russell/chi mix, we THINK. Shes not a doxie shes too fat and tall

She would probably tolerate a heating pad simply because she likes warmth, but the puppy chews everything. Hes destroyed kong toys, his metal water bowl, a swiffer, half of our chain link fence, he chewed through part of a wooden pallet i had herbs growingi in on the porch in the back.
He does all of this in less than five minutes! (except the bowl.. that he did while we were out)

My cat runs right to the vents.. hes a weirdo. He hates the heat coming out but will lay on the vent if its a/c!

Crate is interior wall, we have both the airplane crate kind and a wire kennel crate. He is playing outside 8+ hours a day, so hes not bored or anything.. hes just a chewer.

I even caught him chewing on walker! Little pooper!
I thought about maybe an electric blanket with a timer UNDER the crates but the problem is it will shut off and I can't fold the blanket so he cant get to it (as thats an electrical hazard)

I am going to look into all of the options. I tried posting this mobile last night.. I didnt realize the post posted, the app is glitchy and said it failed!

I'm a
who is a
and landed her

and makes people act
Old 10-26-2013, 01:49 AM

marketmom has posted more than 200 great deals!marketmom has posted more than 200 great deals!marketmom has posted more than 200 great deals!
my pooch was a chewer when we got her, I just put a old comforter in her cage ... TARGET has twin comforters for 19.99 ... your pooch might shred it and make its own nest, but will be warm.
Old 10-26-2013, 04:44 AM

ragincajun777 has posted more than 200 great deals!ragincajun777 has posted more than 200 great deals!ragincajun777 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by marketmom View Post
my pooch was a chewer when we got her, I just put a old comforter in her cage ... TARGET has twin comforters for 19.99 ... your pooch might shred it and make its own nest, but will be warm.
That sounds like an intestinal foreign body waiting to happen.

I would agree with the suggestion of keeping their crates near interior walls. You can also cover any windows and exterior doors to decrease drafts.

If the small dog wears her coat, that should help keep her warm. As for the puppy, 60 lbs and growing, he should be able to acclimate to the temp. He does have a fur coat after all.
The Following User Says Thank You to ragincajun777 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-27-2013, 03:46 AM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun777 View Post
That sounds like an intestinal foreign body waiting to happen.

I would agree with the suggestion of keeping their crates near interior walls. You can also cover any windows and exterior doors to decrease drafts.

If the small dog wears her coat, that should help keep her warm. As for the puppy, 60 lbs and growing, he should be able to acclimate to the temp. He does have a fur coat after all.
You are quite right. I actually asked the vet, they said he should be fine.
Hes a lab pit mix, hes a big boy (a power house) and he has quite the fur coat on him.

I actually took him to the dog wash yesterday and there we realized he has a LOT of fur. He clogged the drain FIVE times! I was going to get a furminator, but I'm told that removes a layer of the undercoat which is something he is going to need!

Little dog burrows, she always has. Vet said probably because shes tiny (and a weirdo)

The biggest problem we have is that there is literally NO insulation. None, nada, zip zilch. I swear its sheetrock and plywood between us and outside, so we cant just cover the windows (which I do anyways) its the actual house itself.
We rent, and the landlord has promised us to at least start with foamboard insulation and attic rolled insulation (DF will do the attic himself if he has to) hopefully we can get their room done first!

And no.. we try to avoid him eating or chewing ANYTHING. We dont know if he swallows what he chews, but we arent risking an obstruction. I still have 4000$ in medical bills from when I broke my feet, I am NOT trying to have emergency surgery on this dog!

I bought booties for little dog on a side note.. she hates them! (Oh well!)

I'm a
who is a
and landed her

and makes people act
Old 10-27-2013, 06:59 AM

Lift while you climb

My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
It wouldn't be pretty, but if I had another chewer (been there, done that ) that I needed to keep in a cold room, I'd make a 4-sided box big enough to fit over both of their crates. I'd make it just close enough to hold in the heat but not so close that the chewer could get it through the crate (maybe an inch from the crates?) Then I'd tape a layer of foamboard insulation (the kind that comes in big sheets at home depot or lowes) on the top and sides. If aesthetics aren't important, I might leave it like that. If they are, I'd put another layer of cardboard or a blanket on the outside.

Their body heat would keep them warm and, if they need to be in the cages a lot, they would get some socialization by being able to see each other because the crates would be side-by-side inside of the box.

We've used those plug-in heaters to warm a room that is much like what you described (you could see your breath some days when it was cold outside). We only had ours going when we were in that room. They are expensive to run compared to regular heaters. If you get one and can put a timer on it so that it's not always running, that would help on the costs. Be careful if you run it while you're not in the room. Lots of house fires are started by those space heaters being too close to something or by them malfunctioning.

DELTA region for Kroger stores

Are you looking for a way to give back to this great community?

The Following User Says Thank You to tratra For This Useful Post: