Ear Mites / Ear Infection In Lab

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-20-2013, 05:29 PM
You've got to stand for something or you'll fall...

My Mood/Status:
MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Ear mites / ear infection in lab

I noticed my two labs had earmites and have been treating it with vitamin e oil. I clean the ear with q-tips and then pour some oil in the ear. I've been doing this once a day and about a week or so into it the ears looked mite free.

Katey, my white lab, has one ear that she would still yelp when I try to check it. It's red and irritated. The other ear looks okay.

Tracey, my black lab, comes when called and lets me check her ears. Something she didn't do when she had the mites. Her ears are looking good, no irritation at all.

So I looked up online and found that some dogs get yeast infections after they get rid of the earmites. So for about four days I've been using nystatin cream in Katey's ear and while it looks better, she still yelps and cries when I try to clean it and put in the nystatin. I know it doesn't bother her all the time b/c she'll let Tracey clean her ear and I've seen her sleeping with that ear on the dog bed.

Last night at work I was talking to the nurse about what she's done for earmites in her dogs. I can't remember what she said she did to get rid of the mites but she did tell me that the vet gave her a med for the infection. She dropped it off and it's a called animax ointment. It contains nystatin, neomycin, thiostrepin and triamcinolone in a polyethylene and mineral oil base. She's said she was told to use it four times a day for a few days then drop it down to three for a few days then cut back times a day til down to nothing. She said she only had to use it a a few days and it her dogs was fine.

So who else has dealt with this? How has it turned out for you?
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 06-20-2013, 06:28 PM

RE: Ear mites / ear infection in lab

ISO: Sanity!!! Will trade generously for :D
Mommy of 2 beauties!

My Mood/Status:
boots09138 has posted more than 150 good deals!boots09138 has posted more than 150 good deals!
I haven't had to deal with ear mites but I have a large floppy ear dog. We prefer natural methods that our regular vet has approved and praised.
Our Delilah regularly has dirty yucky ears that need cleaned every week or else she starts to get really irritated and can get an infection easily.
We use a turkey baster, rinse her ear out with warm water (very important! Cold won't melt the wax and hot will hurt the dog!) with a tiny bit of dawn (blue dawn), then we rinse 2 or 3 times with fresh warm water then if she is starting to get an infection or has one we rinse with 50/50 vinegar and water. Then another plain warm water. This has been a god send for us!
After the first few times of doing it she got used to it and doesn't even squirm when we do it now and actually enjoys the rubs we give her ears with the liquid in there.
The Following User Says Thank You to boots09138 For This Useful Post:
Old 06-20-2013, 07:16 PM

You've got to stand for something or you'll fall...

My Mood/Status:
MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!MykhalJaems has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
We tried a vinegar water solution. The girls didn't do as well with it and I always ended up smelling like pickles.
Old 06-20-2013, 07:29 PM

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
The product the vet gives for ear infections is Otomax and you should give it to them 5 drops in each ear 2x a day for a week. If your friend quit after a few days she will find that doesn't work well. Dogs with floppy ears get infections easier than other types of dogs.