Getting New Litten Tomorrow: Need Advice!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 06:55 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Getting new litten tomorrow: Need advice!

Friend of mine found a stray kitten and I offered to take it since I've been wanting to get a kitten to control the rodent population. Aaaaand because the kids want one.

So. I've never owned a cat myself, only had barn cats growing up. And they were basically feral cats we fed occasionally. I need advice.

I'm getting some basics tomorrow, like food/ water dishes, litter and box, some simple toys. A carrier box.

What else do I need/should probably buy?

Anything I should know? She's a little girl kitty, so we'll get her fixed at some point.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to 400000coupons For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-09-2013, 08:07 PM

RE: Getting new litten tomorrow: Need advice!

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
tiffanyrebecca13 has posted more than 25 good deals
I would definitely opt for a covered litter box. It is definitely worth the extra money. I have three kitties of my own - if it isn't covered, litter gets everywhere! Best kitten toy ever - laser pointer My adult cats even love it still! Oh, and depending how old she is, flea meds. If she is under 12 weeks, they don't make any safe flea protection to put on them so Dawn Dishwashing liquid is what our vet recommends. If she is over, Advantage II is the best skin flea protection and Comfortis (just got approved for cats) is the best pill form.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tiffanyrebecca13 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2013, 12:54 PM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
kitcatx0x has posted more than 400 great deals!kitcatx0x has posted more than 400 great deals!kitcatx0x has posted more than 400 great deals!kitcatx0x has posted more than 400 great deals!kitcatx0x has posted more than 400 great deals!
Also be careful what litter you buy kittens tend to eat it If its a very young kitty I found a paper plate and a little litter works best as they might not be big enough to get in the box just yet. also watch where he is. Kittens are so sneaky they love to find little places to hide!
Old 05-18-2013, 01:20 PM

My Mood/Status:
juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
just make sure you get it checked out to make sure it doesn't have anything, I know the first cat we had came from a litter of ferals, had the cat a short time for it to get very ill and pass away.

We have a lot of cats around her feral cats and they been getting fixed and getting checked out by the Fix our Feral group. I am glad my daughter is old now as she would love to drive the cats crazy wanting to play with them and they scratched her all the time.

Our two youngest indoors are now 6 months, and are still a handful but fun, they sleep during the day and are up all night.
The Following User Says Thank You to juneannloves2shop For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 05:17 AM

My Mood/Status:
400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!400000coupons has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Well, needing more advice now...

In mid July (while I was away at the hospital on extended bedrest) my MIL and sister lost this little kitty. My daughter was devastated. This kitty was just the sweetest kitten alive. It followed my sister to the gas station, she tried shooing the kitten back to the house, but never took her back physically. The kitten wasn't seen since.

I posted a look out notice on a couple local FB pages, but didn't get anything. I asked my MIL to ask around at the neighbours but she never did. Argh.

So, I adopted another kitty. This one is kinda crazy. A boy kitten, it flips out about everything, lives using his claws and is just generally jumpy. My daughter keeps trying to like him, but it's kinda rough.

So I posted another notice on FB and someone mentioned a little one matching the description living with a group of ferals behind the gas station. I jumped on it and took a look. Definitely is her. The employee that was feeding the group had been giving the kitten soft food because she was having a hard time with the dry food. Anyway, she offered to catch it for me and deliver her back to my house.

She delivered the kitten this morning. Poor thing is really skittish and frightened (there's a group of boys that were caught terrorising that group of cats a couple times) and is currently hiding under my bed. I'm planning on attempting to catch her and take her to the vet tomorrow to get her checked out.

How should I handle this? I've told my kids not to touch her for a while, that she is sick and very scared and just needs to have some space to get used to us again. I know my daughter is anxious to love on her, but I want to make sure she doesn't have anything catching first.

I just feel so bad and want the kitten to reacclimate to us. Any advise for me?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 09-16-2013, 04:18 PM

My Mood/Status:
Well, I made the mistake of letting her out of the carrier and she hid and pooped under my bed all day.
DH was able to carefully catch her when he got home. She is actually fairly docile, but is spooked by loud noises and quick movements.

I gave her some of the ground beef I made for dinner and some milk. She is so quiet and calm. But her eyes are pretty wild looking. I do think she'll come around.

I'm mostly concerned about the pooping issue. I mean, how do I litter train a cat that won't come out of hiding?

Old 09-17-2013, 12:45 AM

My Mood/Status:
SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!SPOILEDTCANGEL has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Give her a bit of time if she was hurt or tormented in any way she has to slowly learn your a different type of person and will not hurt her, it might seem hard at first but don't give up on the poor baby. If your dd was close to her maybe put a small stuffed animal under by her so she gets her scent and for comfort. As for the popping this may be a bit inconvenient but for a day or 2 maybe put a shallow litter Pan near her & slowly move it a bit at a time.
to Miguel
, Mom to Destiny (17)
and Esael (15)
, We Have 5
, 1
and FINALLY after 12 years welcomed
which makes us
The Following User Says Thank You to SPOILEDTCANGEL For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2013, 07:30 AM

ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ladygodiva02 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
When we got our second cat she had been outside in the cold for awhile. She was mostly starved. We had two other cats so we locked her in the second bathroom for a month to make sure she didnt have anything to pass onto the other cats. At the end of thr month she went into the vet for bloodwork and we left the bathroom door open so she could investigate on her terms. It took her a couple months to come out of the bathroom most of the time.

Another suggestion, when they worm the "new" kitty make sure they give you drugs to worm the other kitty again, otherwise they can pass worms back and forth.