Kitten Question! Please HELP!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2013, 07:29 AM
Team Free Will!!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Kitten Question! Please HELP!

Five weeks ago during a horrible snowstorm I allowed our local pregnant stray cat to stay with us in our home so she didn't freeze to death. She had her kittens that night and ever since I have been responsible for them until they are 8 weeks old when I will pass them off to good homes.

My question is this: Lately Mama (the mom cat aren't we so original with our names??) has been starving even after meals. It's caused me some concern but today when I fed her I noticed the kittens racing over and eating her food! I mix half dry food with half a can of wet cat food (or a whole can depending on its size) for Mama so if they are eating it no wonder she is still hungry. But should the kittens be eating her food? Do I need to go buy special canned kitten food or dry kitten food?

Also my house is huge so I have them sorta locked up in part of the home (I noticed they were getting lost and stuck under things when they had free reign. This also keeps them close to the cat box so accidents are limited. Is this a bad thing to do? They are not alone as they are kept in the area that DD's room is and she is always in there playing with them. They have access to their room, the bathroom with cat box, a decent sized hallway, and DD's room.

Any kitten advice is great since it has been so long since I have had kittens around!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
work, couponing, housework, and my sweet girl
The Following User Says Thank You to Aradia_Silvermoon For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-27-2013, 07:56 AM

RE: Kitten Question! Please HELP!

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
atyner has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!atyner has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!atyner has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!atyner has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!atyner has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!atyner has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!atyner has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Her food is probably OK but kitten food would probably be better for them. And if they are eating food its probably best to seperate the mama so they can get weened . That way they can't eat her food. At the very least try and seperate her when its feeding time. As far as being in a room..they are fine..youre right ..kittens are very tiny and can get into stuff but it doesn't sound like they are in a cage so you are giving them plenty of room to play
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to atyner For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 11:06 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Actually according to my vet there is no need to feed them kitten food same for puppies. Those foods are just a way for pet food companies to make more money. I would feed them dry food only though. You can put a dish for Mama up higher that the kittens can't jump up to if you are concerned about her starving. I am guessing you have not taken her to a vet and would bet she probably has worms which would explain her being hungry all the time.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:03 PM

crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
If the kittens are five weeks old if you feed them dry wet it to get it soft. They still have tiny teeth!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to crs For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 12:31 PM

My Mood/Status:
juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
when the kittens start moving around, they will start eating the mamas food. I know when our cat had kittens, she too was always hungry all the time, and she didn't have worms.

We have had a stray cat in also to give birth, she was kept away from our cats, when the babies were old enough the Fix our Ferals took them for adoption, gave them shots and all, and i think they had to be 4 lbs they fixed, them, I didn't know they could fix them that young.

The been working our neighborhood fixing the cats, and bringing them back to control the population, there are a lot of cats around here.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juneannloves2shop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 12:56 PM

Team Free Will!!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Aradia_Silvermoon has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
No I never took Mama to the vet...I can't afford it. However she is a recent stray; she was abandoned when her owners moved out. I just figured she was hungry from nursing and then the babies stealing her food
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aradia_Silvermoon For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 01:44 PM

sku has posted more than 75 good deals!
Kudos to you for doing the humane thing!

SKU
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to sku For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 03:11 PM

funny bones
Unnagged Male

My Mood/Status:
CountryBoy78 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!CountryBoy78 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!CountryBoy78 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!CountryBoy78 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!CountryBoy78 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!CountryBoy78 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!CountryBoy78 has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
This is a wonderful thing you are doing and I admire folks who are willing to care for strays!

When it is time to give momma cat away, I would include on the ad, taht she is not fixed and that whomever owns her, needs to get her fixed. I never give away any cat to someone who is not willing to do so!

Thank you for being such a wonderful person!

Yahoo!!
Old 04-27-2013, 03:37 PM

My Mood/Status:
juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I don't know if you have a Feral cat place near you , but the one we have is great, they took two of our indoor cats and fixed them for us, thank goodness, so now all our indoors are fixed, they went around the neighborhood asking people if they had a cat and if they wanted it fixed, not only did they fix them, but they gave them all shots and flea meds..
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to juneannloves2shop For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 03:40 PM

is living and loving life :)

My Mood/Status:
randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!randomequine has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
How big/old are the kittens? If they're not able to get 'up and over' things yet, you might consider putting Mama's food inside an open top box -- that way, mom can jump in and eat while babies don't steal her food -- then you can give babies an appropriate amount of food
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to randomequine For This Useful Post:
Old 04-27-2013, 03:52 PM

Team Free Will!!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by randomequine View Post
How big/old are the kittens? If they're not able to get 'up and over' things yet, you might consider putting Mama's food inside an open top box -- that way, mom can jump in and eat while babies don't steal her food -- then you can give babies an appropriate amount of food
They are getting up and over everything which is why I have them contained in a specific area of the home .

I bought some dry kitten food and they seem to be enjoying it. I plan to get Mama fixed and I want to keep her...I will look into a local feral group to see if getting the babies and Mama fixed is a cheap option.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Aradia_Silvermoon For This Useful Post:
Old 05-02-2013, 03:22 AM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Yep.
We have two flame point kittens in a huge dog kennel in our back room.

Mom cat went splat (stray)

We put my cats food UP so they can't get near it.

They eat regular kibbkes mixed with nutrigel I got from the vet.

That's nice you're keeping mama!
I want these kittens but...alas I'm poor.

Do you Have any pics? I love to AWWWW over kittehs!

I'm a
who is a
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Layla Stryker For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 08:10 AM

Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by atyner View Post
Her food is probably OK but kitten food would probably be better for them. And if they are eating food its probably best to seperate the mama so they can get weened . That way they can't eat her food. At the very least try and seperate her when its feeding time. As far as being in a room..they are fine..youre right ..kittens are very tiny and can get into stuff but it doesn't sound like they are in a cage so you are giving them plenty of room to play
Kittens NEED to stay with their mothers at least 8 weeks, but 12 is best. 5 weeks is too young to take them away. Many people take them away at 6 weeks but it is not best for them.

"Question: How long should a kitten stay with its mother cat?
My friend's cat just had kittens, and my friend told me that she would let me have one. I'm not sure how long the kittens should stay with their mother, so would you please let me know what is the appropriate length of time a kitten should stay with its mother?
Answer: Thank you for asking! A kitten should stay with its mother for an absolute minimum of eight weeks and preferably 12 weeks. Although they may be "weaned" prior to eight weeks, they will still have the occasional need to nurse. Kittens taken from their momcats before this time often develop nursing behavior on themselves, other cats, humans, or fabric, and these habits will often continue throughout adulthood.

They also need this time to learn proper cat behavior from their mother cat, including use of the litter box, socializing with humans and other cats. "
The Following User Says Thank You to Seirith For This Useful Post:
Old 05-03-2013, 08:59 AM

Team Free Will!!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla Stryker View Post

Do you Have any pics? I love to AWWWW over kittehs!
I will post some tonight!
The Following User Says Thank You to Aradia_Silvermoon For This Useful Post: