New Puppy- Wondering About Food

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 02:20 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

amberwhistles has posted more than 200 great deals!amberwhistles has posted more than 200 great deals!amberwhistles has posted more than 200 great deals!
New Puppy- wondering about food

I just got a new puppy. A jack russel/cockerspaniel mix. He is 8 weeks old. I was wondering about the best type of food to get him. I *thought* Iams was good until I looked at some reviews and didn't find too many positive ones. I want to buy him a good quality food but not one that's going to break the bank. Anyone have any recommendations?

We named him Ollie.

[IMG][/IMG]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to amberwhistles For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-09-2013, 02:23 PM

RE: New Puppy- wondering about food

ISO--PAMPERS POINTS

My Mood/Status:
ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!ambtay79 has posted more than 5000 great deals! WHOA!!
Good question. Last week a lab mix pup showed up in our neighborhood and after posting flyers and no one claiming her we decided to keep her. We think she is about 4 months. Not potty trained wasnt micro chiped or anything so i will be happy to see what others say about your question. We have been feeding her kibbles n bits and named her daisy. Lol

**ISO-BOX TOPS FOR EDUCATION**

**I GET LOTS OF INSERTS WEEKLY, IF YOU ARE LOOKING FOR SOMETHING PLEASE PM ME**
The Following User Says Thank You to ambtay79 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 03:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
waterburyk9 has posted more than 300 great deals!waterburyk9 has posted more than 300 great deals!waterburyk9 has posted more than 300 great deals!waterburyk9 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Check the ingredients - stay away from ones that start with any kind of grain...

I at this time am using Rachael Ray Nutrish- not the best on the market but made in the US and the ingredients are better than most "cheap" brands. I also like the fact that it does not have soy in it (cheap filler) and that all the profit go to animal rescue groups.
Wellness is very pricey but I did have 2 dogs on it, but my current love doesn't like it so savings for me
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to waterburyk9 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 04:00 PM

My Mood/Status:
lpete820 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lpete820 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lpete820 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lpete820 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lpete820 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!lpete820 has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
We have always fed our pets Science Diet. It doesn't get the greatest reviews online, but we've never had a problem with it. Its a little bit more expensive than Iams, but not by too much. I've read that you should use a food where the first ingredient is meat (chicken, turkey, beef). And to avoid foods with any type of by-products. Brands that I've heard good things about are Blue Buffalo and Innova. I don't know a price comparison on these though since we've always been happy with Science Diet.

Hth!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lpete820 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2013, 04:07 PM

My Mood/Status:
vbchick87 has posted more than 100 good deals!vbchick87 has posted more than 100 good deals!
Taste of the Wild is a great food! Its made by the same company that makes Blue Buffalo food. That is what we fed our dogs up until about a month ago we found a new food that literally has the exact same ingredients for about $15 less per bag, its called 4 Health but its the grain free version, they just released it in the past couple months (the grain free version I mean). My dogs love it and I have not noticed any difference in their coat, overall health, etc. from the Taste of the Wild food. Also I like these brands because you can change up the flavor each time you buy a bag so your dog doesnt get bored with the same food

Your pup is adorable by the way!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vbchick87 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 06:22 AM

My Mood/Status:
Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Tonia has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I am curious about your question too. We recently got two kittens, and I went thru about a month of searching for a decent cat food. I've had two cats with diabetes (insulin shots 2x a day, the whole nine yards) and I am really hoping I can avoid that again in the future.

Once I finally found a cat food combo I was happy with, I started wondering about dog food for our beagle. She's currently on Iams weight control and I have to admit, she seems to do really well on it. I don't know where it falls in the spectrum of "good food" but both my old vet and my new vet recommended it. My mom is a show dog owner/handler and she also uses it. Once I get up the nerve to start looking around I'll have to decide if there's something else that would be better for her. It was exhausting with the cat food! Every one has something different to say.

For our cats I started using Innova Evo canned and Halo Grain Free dry. Both of these companies make dog foods. Halo is partially owned by Ellen Degeneres, not that it influenced my decision. But then again, she seems like she really loves animals and I would think she would stay on top of the company to make sure the quality is there. So I guess it doesn't hurt that she's part owner LOL.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tonia For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 07:04 AM

cgonyea has posted more than 400 great deals!cgonyea has posted more than 400 great deals!cgonyea has posted more than 400 great deals!cgonyea has posted more than 400 great deals!cgonyea has posted more than 400 great deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by vbchick87
Taste of the Wild is a great food! Its made by the same company that makes Blue Buffalo food. That is what we fed our dogs up until about a month ago we found a new food that literally has the exact same ingredients for about $15 less per bag, its called 4 Health but its the grain free version, they just released it in the past couple months (the grain free version I mean). My dogs love it and I have not noticed any difference in their coat, overall health, etc. from the Taste of the Wild food. Also I like these brands because you can change up the flavor each time you buy a bag so your dog doesnt get bored with the same food

Your pup is adorable by the way!
Did you find the 4 health in your local pet store or on line? I did a quick search and couldn't find where to purchase it. I am almost ashamed to say we have been using purina beneful and I want to switch to a higher quality food but it has to be economical
The Following User Says Thank You to cgonyea For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 07:59 AM

My Mood/Status:
vbchick87 has posted more than 100 good deals!vbchick87 has posted more than 100 good deals!
I found it at Tractor Supply Company. You should be able to find it at a local feed store.
The Following User Says Thank You to vbchick87 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 08:00 AM

My Mood/Status:
mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!mickie333 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Note with dogs-- stay away from all the free treats you can get from couponing! They have high sugar, and other deadly ingredients. For dogs you should purchase real dog bones (cow bones cut in desired length width at your butcher's).. Diabete's in animals in beyond high due to all the crap in the commercial foods these days. Almost best to make it yourself. But kind of a pain..
The Following User Says Thank You to mickie333 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 08:16 AM

My Mood/Status:
ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Cute puppy!

Ive feed my dogs science diet for years and no issues. also had beneful when it was almost free. they were on that for about 6m. no issues on it either. right now Im searching for a good grain free cheap food. they did like racheal ray food. had to get it at the walmart since I was out of food.
around christmas I was getting free canyon river food. petco had the 5lb bag on sale for 9.99 and there were $10 off IP's at the time.

however with that food there was dehyrdated peas/carrots in it. when i go pick up the yard, they were all hydrated and easily to spot.. it did make their poop stinky... I won't go back to that.

Working mommy to 7yr old
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 1yr
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
Mr. Jericho(8) and Ms. River Song(4m)
and
Big Cody(doggy heaven 12/13/11)
Slick Nick (doggy heaven 6/10/14)

Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 AM

shops too much!
Be yourself!

My Mood/Status:
Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Cute puppy!!

Feeding a dog anything with wheat or corn is always a gamble. Many dogs are allergic to these ingredients and they can cause digestive distress, hot spots and other health problems. My theory is this: Buy the best food you can afford because any money you save buying cheap food is likely to be spent on vet bills for problems caused by that food.

After feeding my lab mix Iams for many years, during which time he suffered from horrible hot spots, I finally discovered Wellness. Once I got him switched over to Wellness, he never had another hot spot.

Also remember it's not a good idea to suddenly change your dog's food; it can cause diarrhea or other problems. It's best to start by adding a small amount of the food you want to introduce to the food your pup's already eating and increase the amount of new food gradually, over a period of days (or even weeks if your dog's digestive system is especially sensitive).

Good luck!

Last edited by Kayline; 04-11-2013 at 10:06 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to Kayline For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 09:52 AM

rentel has posted more than 25 good deals
Dance Dog food

Quote:
Originally Posted by amberwhistles View Post
I just got a new puppy. A jack russel/cockerspaniel mix. He is 8 weeks old. I was wondering about the best type of food to get him. I *thought* Iams was good until I looked at some reviews and didn't find too many positive ones. I want to buy him a good quality food but not one that's going to break the bank. Anyone have any recommendations?

We named him Ollie.

[IMG][/IMG]
I have a 7 year old pekengnese. He has been on Science diet since day one. It is pricey. But they have coupons and rebates out on this brand. plus I call company every 6 months to a year and they send free coupons.which I appreciate. His name is fufu.
The Following User Says Thank You to rentel For This Useful Post:
Old 04-11-2013, 10:58 AM

ISO: Sanity!!! Will trade generously for :D
Mommy of 2 beauties!

My Mood/Status:
boots09138 has posted more than 150 good deals!boots09138 has posted more than 150 good deals!
I have a 4 1/2 month old Weimeraner puppy.

We (I) currently make her food, she had been on diamond large breed puppy formula but she was constantly begging never feeling satisfied, drinking TONS of water, throwing her food up, and her ears were dirty and she constantly scratched at them. After a bit of research on dog foods we decided that if we were already feeding her one of the most expensive dog foods available and spending that much money we decided it wasn't a stretch to just make it ourselves.
Since we started the home prepared diet all of that has stopped! She's doing wonderful and loves it!
It's really not as much of a pain as you'd think if you have a slow cooker it's actually wonderful.
If you ever get curious about it you can pm me and I'd gladly send you some of my recipes or give you some advice about what works for us.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boots09138 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2013, 11:03 AM

I try to be the person my dog thinks I am.
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!lms28023 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
IDK if this is the best brand, but I've used good old Purina puppy chow. I "grew" a 95lb lab and a 85lb dobie on this. Both were females too. I tried Iams with the dobie, but it gave her gas, baaddd stinky gas.

Married 26 years

Doggy mom to Abby

"Once you stop learning, you start dying"

Albert Einstein
The Following User Says Thank You to lms28023 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-24-2013, 10:12 AM

terry44833 has posted more than 5 good deals
sounds like you hae had a lot of fun with your new puppy
The Following User Says Thank You to terry44833 For This Useful Post: