Getting Skinny Rescue Dog To Eat?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2013, 05:55 PM
is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Getting Skinny Rescue Dog to Eat?

Hiya (again!)

We moved and kind of 'inherited' a new dog. Two dogs came with the house (its my BIL's house) one of which is going back to the BIL and one of which was going to go to the shelter.

My S.O. has declared he is keeping this dog (I am not pleased, but I am also not heartless) and she is SKINNY!

Apparently BIL got this dog 'Dottie' off Craigslist from an old woman in a trailer with about 7 other (small) dogs. She was going into a nursing home, couldn't take them obviously.

Shes VERY small and EXTREMELY skittish. When we rustle the dog food bag to scoop some out she hides and cowers like we are going to hurt her.
Shes super friendly and sweet and lets my (smaller) dog Pennie hump her to neverland and back (which we are working on.. its purely dominance) and doesn't have a care in the world as long as she is near you.

But.. shes so skinny we can see her ribs! We have tried in the four days we have lived here, 5 different kibbles. Science diet, Blue Buffalo, Royal Cainine, Chicken Soup for dogs, and I believe taste of the wild. Ok maybe a sixth, 'Doggie Bag Delight' that was already here.
She will eat MAYBE one or two kibbles and then stare at us. She begs for our food, she digs in the trashbag, she even eats leaves outside!
Shes clearly hungry, but she just wont eat! I've tried mixing alpo in (something I do for my dog, about 1 teaspoon per 2 cups food) and she licks the alpo off the kibbles!

I'm at a loss. We don't know much of her history, BIL is flaky and won't send us her papers yet, he wants to 'hand deliver them'.
All we know is she is about 1.5, a boston terrier mix, spayed, wormed, heart worm free and microchipped.

Do you have any suggestions?

(Please don't mind the boxes and mess, we are STILL unpacking!)
Attached Images
File Type: jpg dottie.jpg (77.5 KB, 76 views)

I'm a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
who is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act
The Following User Says Thank You to Layla Stryker For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 03-02-2013, 06:06 PM

RE: Getting Skinny Rescue Dog to Eat?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

mbarn08 has posted more than 200 great deals!mbarn08 has posted more than 200 great deals!mbarn08 has posted more than 200 great deals!
If she licks the Alpo off the dry food have you tried just feeding her canned wet food?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mbarn08 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 06:06 PM

My Mood/Status:
keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!keoughrn has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Does she have dental issues? Maybe she needs a softer food? Maybe try boiled chicken and rice?
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to keoughrn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 06:08 PM

My Mood/Status:
tumadre has posted more than 150 good deals!tumadre has posted more than 150 good deals!
She sounds like she has had a not so happy life. Can you take him to vet for complete exam and suggestions?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tumadre For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 07:43 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Assuming she has been to the vet and there are no health issues, you could try adding a small amount of evoo or coconut oil to her food. That might make the dry food more palatable and would give a small amount of good fat to her diet. My guys get maybe 1/4 tsp of coconut oil a week in the winter. They love it and it helps with dry skin.

Is she part Italian greyhound? Her body type looks it and they tend to be very lean naturally. Fwiw she doesn't look THAT skinny in the photo.

Again, this all assumes she has been vetted recently. Of not that really should be the first step.

The Following User Says Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 03-02-2013, 08:54 PM

My Mood/Status:
pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!pudding has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Try cooked brown rice. HTH
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pudding For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2013, 05:33 AM

ragincajun777 has posted more than 200 great deals!ragincajun777 has posted more than 200 great deals!ragincajun777 has posted more than 200 great deals!
The more foods you try, the more picky she will become. She will hold out to see if you are going to offer something better. If she is going through the garbage, I would bet she is used to people food.
I would suggest mixing more canned food in with the dry. Once she is eating better, gradually put less and less canned food until you get her switched to dry.
By the way, taste of the wild and the chicken soup dog food have both had recent recalls. They are both manufactured by Diamond, a company that has frequent recalls. Blue buffalo also has frequent recalls.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ragincajun777 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2013, 06:01 AM

RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!RNSAMRN has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
My dog Buster has the same coloring/ body shape as your dog. He was a rescue. They told us he was a Boston Terrier/Australian Cattle Dog Mix. He can be finicky about eating in the morning. If he doesn't eat breakfast meh daughter feeds him again later on, and he usually will eat, but she doesn't leave food out for him. We just feed him Beneful or sometimes Purina One Beyond. Sometimes DD mixes in some canned food and water as a treat. Too much canned food and it effects his bowels and he gets diarrhea. I would definitively make sure she sees a vet to rule out any other issues.

& mom to 3
, wife to a wonderful man
who loves
... living with

and our

whom we

~I got a fever, and the only cure is....more coupons!~
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RNSAMRN For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2013, 06:13 AM

My Mood/Status:
mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
i am thinking she is use to people food some people feed their dogs too much people food. i get a small chicken and cook and give my dogs the dark meat they love it. dry dog food is full of corn and some dogs can't tolerate it. dogs are meant to eat meat not corn. i would also try just canned food maybe another kind other then alpo.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommyslh For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2013, 06:30 AM

My Mood/Status:
ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
maybe she has food anxiety issues. - living with 7 other dogs. do you feed her separately? is she prefers people food, mix hamburger/rice with her dog food and slowly wean her off people food.

I am so happy you guys kept her and kept her out the shelter. prayers that she will overcome this issue and become comfortable in her new family..

Working mommy to 7yr old
and 1yr
;
Mr. Jericho(8) and Ms. River Song(4m)
and
Big Cody(doggy heaven 12/13/11)
Slick Nick (doggy heaven 6/10/14)

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArwenEvenstar For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2013, 08:02 AM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I would suggest softening her food up with maybe some chicken or beef broth. If you have any leftover juices from your dinners, mix it in. Not too much because of the sodium but just enough to entice her to eat. We took in a boxer mix that was the same way a few years ago and she just wasn't used to the harder dry foods....and then again she also was pregnant! Good luck, she's a beautiful dog!

2006 Savings: $8,526
2007 Savings: $12,273
2008 Savings: $17,642
2009 Savings: $44,569
2010 Savings: $99,223

2011 Savings: $52,756
2012 Savings: $38,457
2013 Savings: $22,529

Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbarn08 View Post
If she licks the Alpo off the dry food have you tried just feeding her canned wet food?
Yep. We gave her about 1/4 cup of alpo to see how she did, she inhaled it but had the WORST diarrhea! I mean I scrubbed the carpet in about 6 places, because it was a trail to the door to get her outside!

I'm a
who is a
and landed her

and makes people act
Old 03-06-2013, 01:13 PM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by keoughrn View Post
Does she have dental issues? Maybe she needs a softer food? Maybe try boiled chicken and rice?
No dental issues. I got her papers, BIL had her for about 3 months (got her in December)
She has all her shots, is heart worm negative, and the vet has been seeing her since she was born! (Its also the vet I take my kitty to by odd chance)

I did give her some left over chicken and rice and she INHALED it. I'm weary of giving her too much people food, as she becomes sick from it.
However I did realize if I stir in a bit of chicken fat into science diet kibbles she will eat the ENTIRE bowl!

I've come to realize this dog was fed nothing but table scraps its entire life. It sucks down cheeze its (I spilled a box.. sigh) and I have never seen a dog eat so fast!

I'm a
who is a
and landed her

and makes people act
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Layla Stryker For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2013, 01:17 PM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeydawn View Post
Assuming she has been to the vet and there are no health issues, you could try adding a small amount of evoo or coconut oil to her food. That might make the dry food more palatable and would give a small amount of good fat to her diet. My guys get maybe 1/4 tsp of coconut oil a week in the winter. They love it and it helps with dry skin.

Is she part Italian greyhound? Her body type looks it and they tend to be very lean naturally. Fwiw she doesn't look THAT skinny in the photo.

Again, this all assumes she has been vetted recently. Of not that really should be the first step.
Yes. I took her in yesterday. Shes fine, vet said they knew the owner and its in her chart shes ALWAYS been skittish and skinny. Apparently the woman the dog came from, didnt know the breed of the dad dog, just that the mom was boston terrier.

I think you're right, she looks like a mini greyhound body to me. I don't know anything about dogs (my first dog is 1.5 and a rescue.. I've had cats my whole life) but she really does have that build!

I figured since she refused to eat for 3 days that she was just stubborn!

I'm a
who is a
and landed her

and makes people act
Old 03-06-2013, 01:19 PM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ragincajun777 View Post
The more foods you try, the more picky she will become. She will hold out to see if you are going to offer something better. If she is going through the garbage, I would bet she is used to people food.
I would suggest mixing more canned food in with the dry. Once she is eating better, gradually put less and less canned food until you get her switched to dry.
By the way, taste of the wild and the chicken soup dog food have both had recent recalls. They are both manufactured by Diamond, a company that has frequent recalls. Blue buffalo also has frequent recalls.
Well crap. I thought it was decent stuff.
I know science diet is kind of just expensive garbage. Hm. I guess I'll have to do more research!
Thank you for informing me.

I'm a
who is a
and landed her

and makes people act
Old 03-06-2013, 04:54 PM

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!smartshopper08 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
People food will not hurt her if its prepared properly! No processed junk, etc...a lot of organic/natural dog foods are made with chicken, lamb, rice, corn, whole grains, etc..

2006 Savings: $8,526
2007 Savings: $12,273
2008 Savings: $17,642
2009 Savings: $44,569
2010 Savings: $99,223

2011 Savings: $52,756
2012 Savings: $38,457
2013 Savings: $22,529

Last edited by smartshopper08; 03-06-2013 at 04:58 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to smartshopper08 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-06-2013, 11:00 PM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ArwenEvenstar View Post
maybe she has food anxiety issues. - living with 7 other dogs. do you feed her separately? is she prefers people food, mix hamburger/rice with her dog food and slowly wean her off people food.

I am so happy you guys kept her and kept her out the shelter. prayers that she will overcome this issue and become comfortable in her new family..
Yes. She eats alone in her crate in another room.
I have to feed my dog alone too, she gets kind of barky if I let her eat around other dogs. Not aggressive really, just barky.

I mixed in some more left over rice into her kibbles and lo and behold she gobbled it!

I guess she really did exist off just table scraps.
I can't send a dog to animal control. They dont have a shelter here, just animal control. They have 3 days before they put them down. 3 short, short days.

SO is on unemployment. If he doesnt get a job soon the dog will have to go, he just can't afford her. Even if that happens she will go to a no kill rescue (with plenty of donations and volunteer time on his part) or I will personally conduct home interviews.

I'm a
who is a
and landed her

and makes people act
Old 03-07-2013, 01:45 PM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Blue Buffalo is one of the best dog foods on the market. They have had recalls just like all the other dog foods have had. My dog (yep the one in the avatar) would not eat anything the first week I had him. I finally figured out the problem - he would NOT go in the kitchen - guess the previous owner yelled at the dogs if they went in the kitchen. Needless to say I moved his bowl to my formal living room and he wiped out the food bowl and water bowl within 10 minutes. So now his highness eats in the formal living room. I couldn't call the former owner as she had passed away 2 days before I got him.
Old 03-07-2013, 01:47 PM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Wanted to add this link for the FDA pet food recalls. So you can check any dog food or treat you are looking at purchasing. It is a good like to keep bookmarked/favorite listed. Pet Food Recall Products List
Old 03-24-2013, 04:36 AM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Just wanted to update, Dottie went to a new home Friday.
We are all very sad to see her go (My SO cried, he was heartbroken) but he was only offered temp seasonal employment at Wal-Mart of all places-- not enough to live on much less keep Dottie in good health.

We found her a good home with a US Army Recruiter and his family. She took right to him and his wife (who is from Germany and speaks German) and even sat on command.. in GERMAN!

Thankfully since he is a recruiter, he doesn't really deploy anymore and will be leaving the army in 7 months (24 years for him) so Dottie won't have to worry about moving all around the country.

He has sent pictures each day and she is thrilled!

Thank you all very much.. and yep she eventually started eating regular old kibbles. I think she was holding out for the good stuff!

I'm a
who is a
and landed her

and makes people act
Old 03-24-2013, 06:28 AM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Thank you for the update. We foster so we know the heartbreak of losing a temp dog, it is a good be bad feeling. Thank you for helping Dottie find her way!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post: