Little Dog With Way Too Much Energy?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-20-2012, 03:53 AM
is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Little dog with way too much energy?

I have a little dog with WAY too much energy.
Shes maybe 15 months (I'm horrible and can't remember the month I got her!) and is just a little terror.

I used to live in a house with an underground dog fence on 1.5 acres so she had free roam but I now live on a third floor apartment.

I have lots of health problems and after 3 flights of stairs plus walking her half a mile to get her to poop, I'm just too tired to walk her any farther.

Problem is she DRAGS me the WHOLE time. I mean DRAGS. Its not just me, its anyone who walks/runs with her.

She been through multiple trainers/training sessions/classes and is good EXCEPT with the dragging. No one knows what to say.

The dog park is an option sometimes, as my schedule allows, but she is usually the only little dog there, and since they section the park into little dog/big dogs, shes all alone and sits at the fence and cries the whole time.

I'm going out of my mind. Shes starting to destroy clothes and toys, even pens, probably because shes bored. Shes getting to the point where she wont poop for DAYS, because I cant walk her 4-6 miles.

My SO used to run with her early every morning, but since he got deployed (and all of my friends did too) I can't even find someone to PAY to walk/run her that far. Even with him, AFTER a 4 mile run shed DRAG him to go farther!

Do you have any suggestions? Shes harassing me, my cat, and probably annoying the crap out of my neighbors that live below me.

Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg pennie.jpg (92.9 KB, 51 views)

I'm a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
who is a
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and landed her
and was couponing years before it became

I boycott TLC's Extreme Couponing show because it is the
and makes people act
The Following User Says Thank You to Layla Stryker For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-20-2012, 06:38 AM

RE: Little dog with way too much energy?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Do you have a treadmill, or know someone with one? I used to walk my dog on one for 20 minutes then go on a regular walk to burn his energy. Or is there a teenager in the neighborhood that you could ask/pay to walk,run,skateboard with your dog?

Last edited by SJRoth; 10-20-2012 at 06:44 AM.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to SJRoth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2012, 03:38 PM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Layla Stryker has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Oh my apartment complex has a treadmill. I'll have to see if I can get her to run on it!
Thanks!

I'm a
who is a
and landed her

and makes people act
Old 10-20-2012, 03:53 PM

IHateDrama has posted more than 150 good deals!IHateDrama has posted more than 150 good deals!
We rescued a Jack Russel from an abusive home ... She is psycho hyper !!! One thing she does like is stuffed animals .... She destroys at least 1 a week but it does keep her occupied when we aren't home so she doesn't destroy anything else. Always get them at the resale shop so its not a huge investment.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to IHateDrama For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2012, 05:18 PM

banjo&inky has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!banjo&inky has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!banjo&inky has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!banjo&inky has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!banjo&inky has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!banjo&inky has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
We had a young stray dog turn up here a couple of years ago and she was full of energy and though she was only about 20 pounds she would drag me and nearly choke herself with the leash attached to her collar as she was so eager to keep up with DH and our bigger rescue dog on walks. What I did was get an Easy Walker harness for her. It goes around her body and across her chest in the front and when she starts to pull too hard you pull the leash to the side and it sort of gently "checks" her and makes her stop pulling. It sure makes walking her so much pleasurable than before. It was only about $25 at Petsmart. Maybe google for it and see what you think.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to banjo&inky For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2012, 10:29 PM

My Mood/Status:
SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SJRoth has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla Stryker
Oh my apartment complex has a treadmill. I'll have to see if I can get her to run on it!
Thanks!
You are welcome. Try a slow,slow walk then work up to going faster. It may take several attempts but if you can get her used to it that would be great.
The Following User Says Thank You to SJRoth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-20-2012, 10:31 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Layla Stryker
Thanks!
ditto

Last edited by SJRoth; 10-21-2012 at 07:50 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to SJRoth For This Useful Post:
Old 10-29-2012, 08:24 AM

Grounded for Life

mq 2421 has posted more than 75 good deals!
Have you tried using Kong toys when she's inside? That usually helps with boredom. You can stuff it with all sorts of things to keep her occupied.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mq 2421 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2012, 05:30 AM

is sick

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mq 2421 View Post
Have you tried using Kong toys when she's inside? That usually helps with boredom. You can stuff it with all sorts of things to keep her occupied.
Yes. She gives up or rips it apart. Rawhide entertains her for a good 15minutes though.

I'm a
who is a
and landed her

and makes people act
Old 12-09-2012, 06:33 AM

Life is good!

2015 YTD Savings: $9370
My Mood/Status:
nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!nowpoints has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Hugs to you, Layla Stryker.
How frustrating, with your recent graduation from college, you must be so busy!
What are you going to do?

I've never owned a dog, but my neighbor uses "pediatric benedryl syrup" in super low doses on his Vet's advice so he says.
But it doesn't sound right to me. The dog is always sleeping.
Old 12-09-2012, 09:43 AM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by SJRoth View Post
Do you have a treadmill, or know someone with one? I used to walk my dog on one for 20 minutes then go on a regular walk to burn his energy. Or is there a teenager in the neighborhood that you could ask/pay to walk,run,skateboard with your dog?
I agree we treadmilled our higher energy Chihuahua when he was younger. He is less energetic now so a normal walk suffices unless the weather is too bad for walks, the the treadmill gets pulled back out. When we did it, that is how he would earn his dinner.

If you cant get him to work on the treadmill, you could try throwing his kibbles along the furthest stretch you can in your apartment. That might get rid of a little of his energy before walks.

If his knees are fine you can try teaching him to walk on his hind legs, that will expend some energy as well.

He should wear a backpack on his walks to help tire him out as well. The goal here is to find something to help expend some of his energy before the walk so that he is more controllable during the walk. Once you find something that helps him be a little less enthusiastic on the walks, you should really try obedience training (again?). That will make the walks nicer for the both of you.

A dog that is bored like this will find something to do to meet his needs. Better you choose the activity and the direction of his energy. I once heard of someone that was considering putting his Corgie down because the Corgie was getting possessive of the dining room chairs. Corgies were bred to herd. Poor thing was just bored and had assigned himself the official herder of the dining room. Once his energies were redirected, he stopped herding the chairs and all was well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nowpoints View Post
I've never owned a dog, but my neighbor uses "pediatric benedryl syrup" in super low doses on his Vet's advice so he says.
But it doesn't sound right to me. The dog is always sleeping.
Childrens Benadryl is great if you need to temporarily anesthetize your dog. You should not use it as a long term solution because you cant adequately exercise your dog. I cant believe a vet would really recommend that. Not that I think the OP would try this.
Old 12-09-2012, 10:00 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Arecibo has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
wow. we have a 2 year old jack russell terrier and he is not even 1/2 energetic as your dog. he is only hyper when we get home from work, but after we pet him and acknowledge him, he is fine. he has a big fence back yard where he can run free tho. I do not get to walk him as much as I once did due to work, college class, etc. but when we do take him and he starts to pull me, I stop completely. I tell him no and try it again, the minute he starts pulling, I do the same thing, I stop completely and after a few seconds start again. they do understand, try that for a while. about the chewing and destroying, when we first got Max, he tried to chew a rocking chair we have. well, I bought the spray that you put on it so it will taste nasty to them, that did not work. so, every time we saw him trying to chew we will say no and slightly pad him on the mouth. he stopped. we use the word NO with him all the time and he now knows the meaning of it. we need to work on him with regards to people visiting. .he jumps on them and try to lick them. LOL we need to continue to work on that.
Old 12-09-2012, 11:00 AM

Farm life is the best life!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Huntinglabmom05 has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
The treadmill is a great idea! I used to use one for our dogs before we moved to the farm. We now use our 4 wheelers. All of our dogs love to run. I would also try the big dog side of the dog park when it is not too busy. Our 30 lb Sheltie used to do fine with the 60+ lb dogs.