Riding My Bike While Walking My Dog

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-15-2012, 04:28 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Riding my bike while walking my dog

Ok, I just need to rant.

I sometimes ride my bike while I exercise my dog so that he can get enough energy out of him since I can't run and keep up with him.

I came across a lady today walking her boxer and pincher.
I got off my bike so we could pass and not run into one another...as we passed, she said "NOT a good idea! Not a good idea!!!" I was like what?? She was like you don't know?? Don't ride bikes with dogs!

I just looked at her weird and left...The nerve!! If you really have an opinion like that, bring it up nicely...ESP if you are a stranger!!! I have NEVER had a problem with Maji on a bike. If you have the same opinion as this lady, I don't mind if you post, but do it in a polite way, not like that woman who has no social skills whatsoever!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, and a 3 year old akita
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

"Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the main reason I have trust issues."
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 10-15-2012, 04:47 PM

RE: Riding my bike while walking my dog

My Mood/Status:
ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
What's the big deal? Lots of people in our neighborhood do it. That's so weird that she would even say anything.

The Following User Says Thank You to ctacktor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 04:56 PM

My Mood/Status:
akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctacktor View Post
What's the big deal? Lots of people in our neighborhood do it. That's so weird that she would even say anything.
I thought so too. I have never seen her before, and I'm out pretty often at night with him. I don't know, maybe she thought it was dangerous, but speaking to me like I"m her child breaking her rules, isn't the way to get me to listen.
Plus, a nationally known dog psychologist (Cesar Milan) approves of exercising dogs that way AND on rollerblades (which I would consider more dangerous)

I don't know, maybe she doesn't know how to control her dogs? But they were both docile when we passed them...who knows...I just hope I don't run into her again!
, and a 3 year old akita

"Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the main reason I have trust issues."
Old 10-15-2012, 05:01 PM

My Mood/Status:
lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Casear does it
And I have also seen him on roller blades.
The Following User Says Thank You to lvmyhubby2001 For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 05:02 PM

My Mood/Status:
lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Color me red. You already mentioned him. LOL
The Following User Says Thank You to lvmyhubby2001 For This Useful Post:

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmyhubby2001 View Post
Casear does it
And I have also seen him on roller blades.
my point EXACTLY!

I think I'll take his opinion over hers since he makes lots of moolah for doing what he does.
, and a 3 year old akita

The Following User Says Thank You to akitalover For This Useful Post:

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lvmyhubby2001 View Post
Color me red. You already mentioned him. LOL
we just think alike!
, and a 3 year old akita

The Following User Says Thank You to akitalover For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 06:36 PM

My Mood/Status:
ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!ctacktor has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by akitalover

I thought so too. I have never seen her before, and I'm out pretty often at night with him. I don't know, maybe she thought it was dangerous, but speaking to me like I"m her child breaking her rules, isn't the way to get me to listen.
Plus, a nationally known dog psychologist (Cesar Milan) approves of exercising dogs that way AND on rollerblades (which I would consider more dangerous)

I don't know, maybe she doesn't know how to control her dogs? But they were both docile when we passed them...who knows...I just hope I don't run into her again!
When my Boston terrier was young I use to rollerblade with her! It was way easier than walking since she was full speed all the time!

The Following User Says Thank You to ctacktor For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 06:57 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctacktor View Post
When my Boston terrier was young I use to rollerblade with her! It was way easier than walking since she was full speed all the time!
hehe! Yep, that is the only way to really give them good exercise...I sure don't have my dog's stamina!
, and a 3 year old akita

Old 10-15-2012, 07:10 PM

My Mood/Status:
juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Was your dog on a leash? maybe she was trying to say it should be, just thinking her dog may go after yours.

I know this one person on the block here has a pit bull, never has him on a leash and always running around the neighborhood. He doesn't want her on a leash, but the rest of us get scared when we see it. I know I am really worried about it while walking my dog, since my dog was recently attacked by another dog who was wandering around.

One big problem I have is when walking my dog, I am probably the only one here that walks with a poop bag in this neighborhood, I am forever ever having people yelling at me to pick it up..Well when my dog makes pee on the grass, I can't pick that up. I do pick up everything else..

One neighbor has so much poo on their lawn, mostly from the dogs that are free to roam, and the people who don't pick up after their dogs.
The Following User Says Thank You to juneannloves2shop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 07:15 PM

Work cuz I have to, Coupon cuz I love a challenge!

My Mood/Status:
rebelgolf has posted more than 400 great deals!rebelgolf has posted more than 400 great deals!rebelgolf has posted more than 400 great deals!rebelgolf has posted more than 400 great deals!rebelgolf has posted more than 400 great deals!
I cringed when I saw the title. Not because it bothers me that you would do it, I've done it too. However, a month or so ago my sister took her 140 pound puppy for a run while she rode her bike. During the ride, he saw a kitten and took off after it, yanking my sister right off the bike. By the time she realized she better let goshe had a broken elbow and road rash. I think it is silly for someone you don't know to act like that though.
The Following User Says Thank You to rebelgolf For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 07:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneannloves2shop View Post
Was your dog on a leash? maybe she was trying to say it should be, just thinking her dog may go after yours.

I know this one person on the block here has a pit bull, never has him on a leash and always running around the neighborhood. He doesn't want her on a leash, but the rest of us get scared when we see it. I know I am really worried about it while walking my dog, since my dog was recently attacked by another dog who was wandering around.

One big problem I have is when walking my dog, I am probably the only one here that walks with a poop bag in this neighborhood, I am forever ever having people yelling at me to pick it up..Well when my dog makes pee on the grass, I can't pick that up. I do pick up everything else..

One neighbor has so much poo on their lawn, mostly from the dogs that are free to roam, and the people who don't pick up after their dogs.
Oh yes, he was on a leash...AND I was using a gentle leader...It would be hard for him to pull me anywhere I didn't want to go while on it.
We do not allow Maji to run around the neighborhood.
, and a 3 year old akita

Old 10-15-2012, 07:23 PM

My Mood/Status:
Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Grasshoppa has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I love that you do it. I would in a heartbeat if my little babies were bigger. But they are Chi's and there ain't a chance in H*** that is gonna ever happen.

Forget her. You are doing great getting out and exercising you and your dog.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:24 PM

My Mood/Status:
juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!juneannloves2shop has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
We have a boxer, that runs with a bike rider not leashed, but he runs really fast, I always worry he might get hit by a car, but they ride/run by here every day , with no problems.

I guess there will always be someone complaining or saying things they shouldn't say you know. I try to ignore most of it, while walking my dog, but a lot of people are just not pet friendly.
The Following User Says Thank You to juneannloves2shop For This Useful Post:
Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelgolf View Post
I cringed when I saw the title. Not because it bothers me that you would do it, I've done it too. However, a month or so ago my sister took her 140 pound puppy for a run while she rode her bike. During the ride, he saw a kitten and took off after it, yanking my sister right off the bike. By the time she realized she better let goshe had a broken elbow and road rash. I think it is silly for someone you don't know to act like that though.
yes, and I totally understand if someone would have brought it up to me kindly (like you did)....I still would ride the bike with him, AND I wouldn't have taken offense to what they had to say.

I try my best to be observant with him. We pass fences all the time with dogs going nuts on the other side...Maji sometimes will want to jump at them when they bark at him, but i am always in control. Other times he will walk passed them like they are not doing anything.

Maji knows a few commands like "slow" when I want him to slow down and "keep walking" when I don't want him to stop and pee...or jump at dogs through the fence.

We have also come across a cat, but I stopped so he could see it...and of course the cat wasn't too happy about that!

I realize there are dangers, but I'm willing to take that risk.

I could also make the arguement that driving cars is way more risky (life threathening) than that.

Maybe she was more concerned for Maji?? I don't really know...I didn't stick around for her to continue to gripe me out! haha
, and a 3 year old akita

Old 10-15-2012, 07:28 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshoppa View Post
I love that you do it. I would in a heartbeat if my little babies were bigger. But they are Chi's and there ain't a chance in H*** that is gonna ever happen.

Are Chi's, chihuahuas? Yes, that would be difficult to ride a bike and walk a tiny dog!
Maji is 105lbs

And thank you
, and a 3 year old akita

Old 10-15-2012, 07:30 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneannloves2shop View Post
We have a boxer, that runs with a bike rider not leashed, but he runs really fast, I always worry he might get hit by a car, but they ride/run by here every day , with no problems.

I guess there will always be someone complaining or saying things they shouldn't say you know. I try to ignore most of it, while walking my dog, but a lot of people are just not pet friendly.
wow! That is really "brave" of them to run with their boxer w/o a leash!

I'd be so concerned for Maji!

I left the gate opened on accident one night and Maji got out! I was freaking out! Then I ran out the front door, and there he was in the front yard!! Oh, My heart melted!!!

Yes, it is amazing...how people act some times...I've had people cross the street to not walk by us...not sure if they are scared of Maji or they don't trust their dogs with Maji...oh well
, and a 3 year old akita

Old 10-16-2012, 05:47 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grasshoppa View Post

My in laws roller bladed with their Yorkie. The comments people would make! But it kept him healthy and happy. Do what you need to for your pack. Ignore rude strangers. It is that simple.
The Following User Says Thank You to monkeydawn For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 05:58 PM

L.Love has posted more than 50 good deals
I have a 110 lb American bulldog,every afternoon I put my 2yr old in her bike trailer attach it to my bike and dog is leashed on my left & off we go its a 40 min ride, keeps dog happy baby has a nice ride and I walk off dinner ... My dog is obedience train I love when people walking there dogs go crazy trying to get at my dog but she knows its time to work and pays no attention. I say keep doing it maybe she can't control her dogs!
The Following User Says Thank You to L.Love For This Useful Post:
Old 10-16-2012, 06:16 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by L.Love View Post
I have a 110 lb American bulldog,every afternoon I put my 2yr old in her bike trailer attach it to my bike and dog is leashed on my left & off we go its a 40 min ride, keeps dog happy baby has a nice ride and I walk off dinner ... My dog is obedience train I love when people walking there dogs go crazy trying to get at my dog but she knows its time to work and pays no attention. I say keep doing it maybe she can't control her dogs!
I would have thought the same thing if I wouldn't have seen her 2 dogs with her. They seemed docile, but at the time I was paying more attention to her and wondering what in the world she was talking about!

Oh, and she had earphone in her ears too. When I said "what?" the first time, she didn't even hear me. She had to take the earphones out of her ears...sounds like "not a good idea" to me!
, and a 3 year old akita