Price For Dog Food?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-22-2012, 08:42 AM
My 13 year old son is MOOOODY!!!!

My Mood/Status:
SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Price for dog food?

Hi! We're getting a new puppy in a couple of weeks, as that's when she'll be ready to leave her momma. I'm getting a bit nervous about prices of dog food, but I really have NO clue what a good price is for it. Krogers has Purina Dog Chow, 32-35.2 lb bag, $16.99...if my friend got the Kroger home mailer coupon for $4 off, that would make it $12.99. Sounds like a good deal to me, at least based on what I know about kitty food.

TIA!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
, 3 kitties
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

, 1 doggy

ISO nbpr rebates valid in WV
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-22-2012, 09:12 AM

RE: Price for dog food?

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Please make sure to buy the puppy food version of these items. Puppies have different needs than a full grown dog. Those sound like good prices for Purina.
Old 07-23-2012, 11:19 PM

Mirabilis has posted more than 5 good deals
I have found - at least with my cats - that pricier pet food ends up being cheaper. I average twenty bucks a month for three cats, and that's without discounts. I also haven't been told to get their teeth cleaned since their tartar build up is nil. Two of them aren't overweight amazingly (my third was a stray and has issues with food) - they're lazy indoor cats that can't be troubled with batting toys around. They're not particularly susceptible to the fleas my kid brings home from my in-law's house as well, and when my husband did sales with farmers, and with daycare's cat escape artist...

When I mean pricey pet food, I mean grain-free or mostly grain-free. There are expensive pet foods with ingredients that are the same as the Save-A-Lot brand: Eukanuba and Iams notably. Lots of filler, which pets don't digest all that well. Meat is more filling than corn.

Unfortunately, I have never seen a manufacture's coupon for grain-free-ish pet food. I have found there are a few ways of saving on it:

1. Mom and Pop type pet stores usually have buying programs for the spendy food. Mine does buy 10, get one free for several mostly natural brands.

2. Pet stores can have some awesome sales, especially Mom and Pop's. If you can afford to buy an extra bag or two, do it. I've gotten cat food to average as low as ten bucks a month for a few months for food that ran nearly thirty bucks for eleven pounds.

3. We had a Petco open up around here last year, and they've started stocking natural-ish foods. You can frequently get atleast a few bucks off with a Pet Perks card, plus their prices are competitive. That's where I've been going as of late.

4. As for sales, I've found you can switch natural foods around fairly quickly without the pet's digestive tract getting out of whack. I've done this when good sales come up.

5. It might be worth seeing if there's a feed store in your area. Mine stocks pet food, meds, and so forth aimed at rescue organizations and breeders, but available to the general public. They also special order.

6. New brands tend to be cheaper than more well-known brands. There are several natural-ish foods companies popping up since the demand went up around the major pet food recall time. Of course people and pets end up liking them and the price goes up, but again, you can switch pretty easily.

7. You probably know this already, but buy the large bags and keep sealed so they food doesn't go stale.

Dog food does typically cost less than cat food as dog's can digest grains better than cats. There are health conditions when dogs need mostly carbs to live, but more often than not they do pretty well on mostly grain-free food. Just as well, you'd probably be cooking up the food at that point. I converted my mother-in-law to grain-free food for her two dogs, and she has said it's cheaper and they like it better than the Eukanuba she was feeding them. If you end up getting food with carbs, stick with rice, oatmeal, or potatoes. Much easier on the stomach.

Before Grain is a fairly new food that is the closest to grain-free you're going to get without going raw or buying Innova Evo. That's what I'm using for my cats right now.

Speaking of Innova Evo, it's a currently a good food but they doubled the price of it after the Menu Foods recalls. Not sure if that was before or after Proctor and Gamble purchased it. It was a small-ish business local to California prior to that. Between the price and Proctor and Gamble's other less than stellar pet food brands, I assume not purchase it. They bought all of the Natura brands.

Taste of the Wild is also good. It's of the more inexpensive ones at the moment.

I know quite a few people who like Wellness, but I think it's overrated. It's healthier than a lot of foods out there, you might be able to score a coupon for it once in a blue moon, and it might be the healthiest pet food in stock depending on where you live. However, it's incredibly expensive when you consider all of the unnecessary ingredients (which does include a grain and fruit of all things) and the small bags.

I do know someone who does raw food for her very large dog, and she says it's cheaper than buying high-quality dry food. She found a butcher who does the grinding up for her. I looked into this for my cats. You have to find someone who will grind up the bone with the meat, or you will need to add a calcium supplement to the food. Since you have to add supplements to the food anyway, not necessarily a big deal. But some folks like to go as natural as possible. It's rare in my parts to find someone to grind up bones with meat since cleaning up bone fragments is a pain.

Sorry that's so long. I have had this conversation many times! Yay for new dogs!
The Following User Says Thank You to Mirabilis For This Useful Post:
Old 07-26-2012, 03:00 PM

Sydni22 has posted more than 50 good deals
I swear by diamond! We have a heeler and a great dane. We were using pedigree and tried others but our heeler seemed thin although he has food available 24/7. With diamond he's THICK, not overweight but he looks great his coats better and he eats half as much! Its $21 for a 50lb bag.
Old 07-29-2012, 08:29 PM

My 13 year old son is MOOOODY!!!!

My Mood/Status:
SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!SmoochTheCook has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Awsome info!!!!!!!!!!!!! Thank you all so much for this! I will pass the information on to my folks, who, in the end, will make their decision. With my cats, I've always just bought Kroger/Walmart brands, depending on what's on sale. They seem to do just fine on either, though I have one that is very thin as well. Pete's just not an eater like my portly Polly and Patrick.

I'm certainly not going to try to feed the dog on the raw food diet...seems like there'd be way too many things I could miss in her nutrition...it's hard enough trying to make well rounded meals for my son and parents.

I will definitely keep in mind the mom and pop feed stores and see what I can find out.

Thank you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
, 3 kitties

, 1 doggy

ISO nbpr rebates valid in WV
Old 07-29-2012, 08:33 PM

jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Start stocking up on the snausages now.... $1/1 mfc from 6/24 on sale at family dollar for $1.. It's been this price about a month...
Old 07-30-2012, 01:54 AM

Something id like to add is quality is better then quantity. When my brother first got his dog he was feeding him dollar general food and he would blow through it and he had difficulty house breaking due to him messing so much because its all filler. You'll spend less when they eat less of a beyter quality food so its cheaper in the long run. He uses beneful now. Purina brands always have Qs.
Old 07-30-2012, 02:03 AM

jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!jessbme has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydni22
Something id like to add is quality is better then quantity. When my brother first got his dog he was feeding him dollar general food and he would blow through it and he had difficulty house breaking due to him messing so much because its all filler. You'll spend less when they eat less of a beyter quality food so its cheaper in the long run. He uses beneful now. Purina brands always have Qs.
I was gonna say this as well. My father has a springer spaniel and he gets her food at the feed store but it's like $40 a bag, although the bag does last quite a long time and is supposed to be one of the best.... Just too expensive for me to feed my dog, even if it Lasts awhile... These days $40 isn't even a full tank of gas.... Ouch!! But I agree better quality over quantity..
Old 07-31-2012, 05:39 PM

My Mood/Status:
lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!
We feed Chicken Soup for the Dog Lover's Soul. It is about $36 for a 35 lb bag. When I took our oldest Dane to the vet a few weeks ago, the vet said Chaos was the healthiest 9 yr Dane he has ever seen. That is the only food Chaos has eaten. The other 3 guys were extremely underweight and sickly when we adopted them and after only a few weeks the differences were amazing. I wish there were coupons or that Chicken Soup was available in more stores, but to us it is well worth the drive and the extra expense to have such healthy babies.
Old 07-31-2012, 05:41 PM

My Mood/Status:
lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!
I forgot to add that 3 of the 4 only eat 2c per meal twice a day and the 4th eats 1 1/2 cups twice per day and they are all a very healthy weight.
Old 08-01-2012, 01:30 PM

Isn't that a diamond brand? Diamond works wonders!
Old 08-01-2012, 06:08 PM

My Mood/Status:
yes it is a diamond brand. i am very pleased with it and even the most picky of the pack loves it.
Old 08-01-2012, 07:32 PM

rentel has posted more than 25 good deals
I believe in science diet(regular ) small bites. I have an 7 year old Peke named FuFu. Science diet is all he has eaten. Its high price. But I call the company once or twice a year and they are happy to send me coupons. Most coupons are for $6 off or free 5 pounds. I check with the companies on lot of products. Just find their 800 number.If they turn me down,I am not out of anything for the call. Alot of dog foods are not the same prices everywhere.- I check around before I buy.