Traveling With A Pet

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-16-2012, 09:02 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

kgnagey17 has posted more than 50 good deals
Traveling with a pet

I am now going to be traveling for work. I am taking my shihtzu with me. Anyone have any tips for the car ride (its 3hrs) or staying in the hotel? I have never had Samson with me in a hotel...little nervous : ) Thanks!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20120717_000151.jpg (13.8 KB, 11 views)
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-16-2012, 11:03 PM

RE: Traveling with a pet

cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Sorry I don't have any tips for you, I'm just AMAZED that your Shih-Tzu likes to ride in a car. Mine HATES it. Whines and cries the whole time. Three hours would be torture, for him and for us!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:49 AM

Jin555 has posted more than 300 great deals!Jin555 has posted more than 300 great deals!Jin555 has posted more than 300 great deals!Jin555 has posted more than 300 great deals!
Just 3 hours and a hotel. I don't understand what the issue is. Its just you and your dog in the car right and in the hotel it just going to be the two of you guys right? Plus your dog is small and cute. NO problem. Hardly any shedding you have to bother with. Potty breaks will be fine if he/she uses a puppy pad. Talk to your dog as much as you can and be cool The more you ignore him/her or over stimulate things in a sensitive way the kids going to be like *** is going on and might freak. Don't give your kid any food all day until the final destination (hotel). Make sure the kid drinks plenty of water. Play some calm music, nothing punk or too fast paced. At least when you start off don't make it too stimulating. Move slow and talk slow, this will help with anxiety issues. The hotel thing, are you going to leaving the kid in the hotel alone while you are out, I don't think this is a good idea.
Old 07-17-2012, 02:24 AM

My Mood/Status:
paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Many hotels do not allow pets to be kept in the room if you are out. If the dog starts barking you may have a problem. I'd have a back up plan in place, check out nearby kennels/doggy day care places. Check your hotel policy, some need to see the dog, some want rabies shots papers . . .
Old 07-17-2012, 04:20 AM

crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!crs has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I have stayed in a hotel with my border collie. She loves to ride. I make sure if I have to leave her alone in the room that the hotel knows not to open the door to my room.
Old 07-18-2012, 05:16 PM

Ok or better. It's kinda like our guarantee ~ BVtS

My Mood/Status:
monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!monkeydawn has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
Depending on the size of your dog, I wouldnt with hold food all day. I would go with a very light breakfast (about 1/4 size) unless you know the dog will not get car sick. Even then, I wouldnt go above a half meal for breakfast. Do make sure the dog has frequent access to water and never leave your dog locked up in a hot car. Small dogs can quickly succumb to the heat.

As far as in the hotel room if we have to leave a dog, he is always crated and we leave a note with our contact information on top just in case there is some issue. We generally leave the tv on at a low volume to help mask unfamiliar sounds.

Whenever we travel or leave the pets at home with a sitter we have an information sheet for each pet with the pets photo, name, important medical information and our contact information. I also have a copy of the dog's latest rabies vaccination and license certificate. In addition to a hard copy being with the pet, I store a pdf copy for each pet in a remote email box so that it is accessible anywhere with the internet. I figure if the pet gets lost I will quickly have all the information that will be needed as well as a 'lost dog' poster already made. If the worst does happen you want to get the information out as quickly as possible.
Old 07-19-2012, 01:30 PM

My Mood/Status:
scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I will be traveling with my cat via air soon so I've been doing a lot of research.

If you don't already have a microchip, get one. Keep a copy of rabies vaccines and such with you and with family members. You never know when you'll need it. Sedatives generally cause more problems than they solve so they're probably a bad idea too.