English Bulldog Or Basset Hound

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2012, 04:35 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
SavingMommaof3 has posted more than 100 good deals!SavingMommaof3 has posted more than 100 good deals!
English bulldog or basset hound

I am wanting a new dog and I can't decide which breed I want most. I have 3 kids and an outside dog.
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-09-2012, 05:15 PM

RE: English bulldog or basset hound

My Mood/Status:
missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I have 2 Bassets. My ex has my other. I love Basset Hounds. Bassets are so lovable, stubborn and hungry. They are very easy going dogs.Don't let their size fool you, mine weigh 80lbs each. They should not be aloud to jump on/off things it can break legs and back. You have to watch their weight, they will eat everything and anything all the time. Some really shed, mine doesn't but the ex's does. Only thing is to keep the nails trimmed and ears clean. And they will always look at you sad when they want something, mostly food, you can't give in to temptation. I don't have a fenced yard but it is good to have. Once they catch the rabbits scent that lives in my yard they follow the trail, but mine listen pretty good so they come back.They are great dogs, just make sure if you get one and you get it from a breeder ask around first. Make sure it is a good breeder or they can have a lot of problems. Mine cost 1200.00 a piece, and I thought was a very good breeder, however one has dry eye. Very painfull expensive condition. One small bottle of eye medicine, and I mean small, is 77.00. Hope that helps some.
The Following User Says Thank You to missyp997 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 05:18 PM

My Mood/Status:
tycomom has posted more than 200 great deals!tycomom has posted more than 200 great deals!tycomom has posted more than 200 great deals!
Dance

I would say bulldog. Please consider looking at your local kill shelters first....there are many purebred dogs there and they are very reasonable. you can use petfinder!

Last edited by tycomom; 07-09-2012 at 05:24 PM.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tycomom For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 05:20 PM

My Mood/Status:
missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!missyp997 has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
image-1665399441.jpg

Clyde and Webster
Old 07-09-2012, 05:24 PM

My Mood/Status:
My Basstes never howel or bark. I try to get them to and they won't. We always try with no success. I forgot to mention, some slobber a lot. Clyde does not slobber but Webster will get you if he shakes his head.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:05 PM

My Mood/Status:
SavingMommaof3 has posted more than 100 good deals!SavingMommaof3 has posted more than 100 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by missyp997

Clyde and Webster
They are so cute. I would prefer to adopt from shelters because there are so many dogs out there that needs homes. I've got some time to make a decision, but I wanted to get some opinions about the breeds. I've always wanted a red basset but I dog sat an English bulldog and she was so sweet and cute, she won me over.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:15 PM

AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!aidan&logansmommy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
We had a basset hound for almost 11 years. Sadly, he passed away this year. We got him when he was just a few months old, and he was a great family dog. He was very easygoing with our children and very lovable. He did howl quite a bit if he was outside and we were too- he loved attention!

They are wonderful dogs. We may get another one when we're ready for a new pet. My boys still miss him terribly, as do I!
Old 07-09-2012, 07:25 PM

Mom/student/breadwinner/deal hound

tomsnukie has posted more than 200 great deals!tomsnukie has posted more than 200 great deals!tomsnukie has posted more than 200 great deals!
My vote is for basset! I love mine, hes verry good with the kids and my chickens. One word of note however, ear infections can be an issue if hes/shes to be an outside dog. I also noticed that lots of other pet parents I've met with a pure breed dogs run into alergy issues, maybe its a limited breading pool thing..who knows.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Desk jockey by day
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Mother to 8yr Lillith
and 5yr Amber
Wife
to husband Tom

.... and shopper!
, .... and vet
, ... and crafter
, ....
The Following User Says Thank You to tomsnukie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-09-2012, 08:32 PM

My Mood/Status:
Unfortunately Bassets are not at shelters here. Soon as one comes in the Basset rescue league comes and takes them. And from what I read it isn't easy to adopt from them, so many things to go through to adopt from them. I would have gotten a shelter one but they were never there.
Old 07-11-2012, 09:21 PM

Dice Chick

My Mood/Status:
heather12004 has posted more than 50 good deals
You could always get a mix of both Bassett hound and English bulldog. They are usually called bully bassetts or bullets. We got one in February and she is awesome. She has the height and length of a Bassett but the rolls and stockiness of a bulldog. She is unbelievably strong for such a small dog too. She'll eat anything in sight but she is gentle with the kids.
Old 07-12-2012, 06:07 AM

My Mood/Status:
tjordan07 has posted more than 50 good deals
I currently have a 1 year old male English bulldog. I also have owned a Basset before and both are great dogs. English bulldogs are great family pets and are wonderful with kids. My basset was a great family pet also but not sure what they are like around kids (didn't have any at the time). English bulldogs do have health issues more than other breeds. They are prone to skin infection and some have food allergies. You may spend a lot of money and time taking them to the vet. Bulldogs are more likely going to be inside dogs. They will over heat outside if too hot. Please make sure you take the time before getting a bulldog to research and decide if they are right for your family. My bulldog has been to the vet more in the past year than any of previous dogs by far. Do check your local shelter like the previous post suggested. Both are very great breeds and rewarding. I wouldn't have giving up my Basset or my English Bulldog. Good luck in deciding with one is best for your family. HTH
Old 07-12-2012, 09:41 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Go to the shelters and just look at the dogs they have. You might have to go several times but one dog will steel your heart and it probably will not be either a basset or bulldog. They seem to find you no matter what you are looking for. Heck I wanted another English Springer Spaniel and if you look at my avatar you can see that my dog is not that - but I wouldn't trade him for the world.