My Cat Is In Kidney Failure!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 02:22 PM

RE: My cat is in kidney failure!

is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadnil View Post
Have you tried baby food--chicken or turkey, no salt added?
Not yet, but I'm thinking about it!
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 07-03-2012, 02:23 PM

My Mood/Status:
daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katlady View Post
I've lost 2 cats to kidney failure. One was sudden onset-we had to have her euthanized w/in 2 days. The other was chronic kidney failure-the vet left it up to our judgment. She said we would know when it was time and we did.She lived about 6 months. I'm so sorry.
I'm sorry for the loss of your cats!
Old 07-03-2012, 02:24 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluezzy View Post
Sorry to hear that you are going through this, I am also going through the same thing with my 2 himalayans that are 19 years old.The one i cant get to eat anything hardly at all.So sorry.
It's so frustrating when they won't eat, isn't it?
Old 07-04-2012, 08:04 AM

Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!Cadnil has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by daisybelle View Post
No he's only been on meds for hyperthyroidism!
Hyperthyroidism and CRF--That's what my cat had, too (and other things). It can be hard to keep weight on a hyperthyroid kitty. If your vet doesn't have the Royal Canin LP (low protein) formula, ask him to order some or find another vet that carries it. Many cats do not like KD, but will eat Royal Canin. Also, my vet prefered I serve baby food (chicken, turkey) instead of tuna. I do not know why, but it may be the difference in protein level. If you're not doing so already, warm the cat food on low power in the microwave. It makes it smell more appealing--if you're a cat.
The Following User Says Thank You to Cadnil For This Useful Post:
Old 07-04-2012, 08:58 AM

My Mood/Status:
scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!scottd09 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cadnil View Post
Hyperthyroidism and CRF--That's what my cat had, too (and other things). It can be hard to keep weight on a hyperthyroid kitty. If your vet doesn't have the Royal Canin LP (low protein) formula, ask him to order some or find another vet that carries it. Many cats do not like KD, but will eat Royal Canin. Also, my vet prefered I serve baby food (chicken, turkey) instead of tuna. I do not know why, but it may be the difference in protein level. If you're not doing so already, warm the cat food on low power in the microwave. It makes it smell more appealing--if you're a cat.
I bet it's because of the mercury in fish.
Old 07-25-2012, 02:25 PM

My Mood/Status:
tycomom has posted more than 200 great deals!tycomom has posted more than 200 great deals!tycomom has posted more than 200 great deals!
I hope your kitty is doing better. its so hard to see them get sick. Its difficult when they don't want to eat. Idk why but sometimes when I warm it in the microwave and offer it on a spoon they will eat it. Once your kitty is eating again try mixing the proper diet food in with the tuna. Idk if its ok for the kidney failure but my vet told me when my pets aren't eating its ok to give plain shredded chicken and plain rice thats what they do when they are inpatient and don't eat. When they start eating mix the right pet food in with it and wean them off. I hope things get better. hugs
Old 07-25-2012, 06:02 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tycomom View Post
I hope your kitty is doing better. its so hard to see them get sick. Its difficult when they don't want to eat. Idk why but sometimes when I warm it in the microwave and offer it on a spoon they will eat it. Once your kitty is eating again try mixing the proper diet food in with the tuna. Idk if its ok for the kidney failure but my vet told me when my pets aren't eating its ok to give plain shredded chicken and plain rice thats what they do when they are inpatient and don't eat. When they start eating mix the right pet food in with it and wean them off. I hope things get better. hugs
He's doing much better, thank you. We found some canned food that he will eat warmed in the microwave and he is taking a supplement twice a day. He's gaining his weight back and we are continuing the fluids every other day!
Old 07-25-2012, 07:40 PM

My Mood/Status:
Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!Vegas1 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Lots of love sent your way!! 17 years ago we had gotten our first pet. Our cat named Sammy. We had to drive her to our vets house at 10:00pm to have her put to sleep a few days ago. Yes we have a wonderful vet. We have been coming to him for 17 years and he has almost shown as much love for our animals as we have. Because we took a lot of animals in at the same time many years ago, we are also losing a lot of them at the same time. This is the third we've had to say goodbye to this year. What wonderful friends our pets can be. I never realized how much I talked with Sammy, until she was gone. I think I filled up a good part of my day by doing so, because even though we still have 5 other cats, my days seem so much slower and lonelier. So sorry for your loss!!!

ISO .55/1 or 1.00/2 2lt q.s (Especially for Sunkist products)
The Following User Says Thank You to Vegas1 For This Useful Post: