Fleas! What Is Best?

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 12:07 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
mommymia has posted more than 50 good deals
Fleas! What is best?

I have used flea pills in the past but they are quite expensive. I found some online that are cheaper but want to know how they work. I think they were called Capstar? What works best for you?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mommymia For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 05-30-2012, 08:39 PM

RE: Fleas! What is best?

My Mood/Status:
CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!CasieMcCann has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
We have used Capstar with our dogs and had good results.
Old 05-30-2012, 08:41 PM

My Mood/Status:
fallfairy has posted more than 1 good deal
my dog is allergic to all flea treatments (shampoos colloars pills and dips ) i started to put garlic in her food and give her a bath in dawn and it helps the fleas alot hope this helps you as it did me
The Following User Says Thank You to fallfairy For This Useful Post:
Old 05-30-2012, 08:56 PM

:)

Popples has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Popples has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Popples has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Popples has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Popples has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Popples has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Popples has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!Popples has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
capstar for me
Old 06-01-2012, 01:44 PM

Diptastic has posted more than 10 good deals
You have to be extreme with these suckers! When my cat had them we had to flea bomb the apartment and use one of those sticky solutions on her back where she couldn't reach, worked like a charm and we never saw them again.
Old 06-04-2012, 10:24 AM

gainesgirl has posted more than 10 good deals
I have purchased Frontline (and other really good flea prods) on ebay and have had great luck. Cost is quite a bit less and it works.
Old 07-21-2012, 07:59 AM

My Mood/Status:
2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2boys4me has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
We just got a kitten last night and I found a few fleas on her. I looked up safe flea solutions and found info on Diatomaceous Earth. I bought some this morning and put it on the kitten. It sounds good so I'm hoping it works!

Diatomaceous Earth Flea Control-Home Remedy For Ear Mites

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2boys4me For This Useful Post:
Old 07-21-2012, 08:16 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
According to my Vet they are having a horrible time with fleas this year. The only things they have seen work so far (in addition to bombing the house and spraying your yard) are Advantage and Capstar. So far this year I have tried FrontlinePlus, Adams, Pet Armor and so far none of those worked. Put Advantage on 2 weeks ago and see no scratching or chewing from Alfie so far.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:55 AM

AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2boys4me
We just got a kitten last night and I found a few fleas on her. I looked up safe flea solutions and found info on Diatomaceous Earth. I bought some this morning and put it on the kitten. It sounds good so I'm hoping it works!

Diatomaceous Earth Flea Control-Home Remedy For Ear Mites
I bought a 50 lb bag of diatomaceous earth last year and it didn't work for us. Hopefully u have better results. Wear a mask tho. Its so powdery and the powder goes everywhere!! I Have about 45 lbs left . Its just sitting in the shed.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:58 AM

My Mood/Status:
Leighlee2 has posted more than 200 great deals!Leighlee2 has posted more than 200 great deals!Leighlee2 has posted more than 200 great deals!
I use capstar 2 days before its time to apply again. Then I use k9 advantix II. It works very well. I like this combination. Except for the other day my son notice our dog licking his back right paw. It was swollen and yucky looking. I put a flash light on it to look and it looked like a worm In between. I went to the vet fast. It ended up being a big huge tick. I asked why isn't the flea stuff working and she stated its hard for the flea stuff to get to the paws and the tip of the tail. So I am still satisfied. At least 99% of his body is covered. Lol! I also order from 1800petmeds. It's a lot cheaper then the vet. HTH

Last edited by Leighlee2; 07-21-2012 at 09:01 AM.
Old 07-21-2012, 08:59 AM

AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!
About the capstar now. I Have 4 dogs. My biggest is German shepherd. He's allergic to fleas. He had awful hotspots last year so we went to the vet and yes had fleas. Luckily not bad. She gave me a capstar pill and within hours they were gone! Even off my other 3 who did not take the capstar! In my opinion u can't get any better then that pill. Also it is true bathing your dog in dawn dishsoap will kill the fleas that's On the dog. Best thing is to lather and let it sit for about 5 minutes. My 2 tiny dogs I can let it sit on but not my 2 big ones.
Old 07-21-2012, 09:02 AM

My Mood/Status:
Leighlee2 has posted more than 200 great deals!Leighlee2 has posted more than 200 great deals!Leighlee2 has posted more than 200 great deals!
Capstar is only good for 24 hours the one I use so that's why I use k9 advantix as well
Old 07-21-2012, 09:17 AM

OMG I'm so sorry! I was thinking of one called comfortis or something. I apologize. Having a lot of duh moments today
Old 07-21-2012, 09:34 AM

My Mood/Status:
paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
comfortis works great on dogs, can't use for cats, advtantix is toxic to cats so even if there's a cat in the house you shouldn't use it.

We use pet armor and it's the same as frontline only cheaper (frontline is suing them). If you get an infestation the comfortis will kill the fleas in an hour, you can literally see the fleas fall off dead . . . i wish i didn't know that firsthand . . . comfortis does not do ticks so we only use if there's an infestation.

We've noticed this year you need to reapply a few days before the month is up, seems to lose effectiveness around day 25 . . .
Old 07-21-2012, 09:51 AM

tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!tagarza has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I was wondering the same thing. We have a kitten, she is about 3 months old and was a stray and we got her when she was only a few days old. We did the Dawn but they always come back, we washed all bedding etc and they still come back.

I googled the Pet Armor and saw that Facebook has a $5 coupon. Where is this sold and what is the price for it? Thanks!
Old 07-21-2012, 03:03 PM

My Mood/Status:
allgrandsons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!allgrandsons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!allgrandsons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!allgrandsons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!allgrandsons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!allgrandsons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!allgrandsons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!allgrandsons has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I had 3 baby kittens that had fleas really bad . They live outside , but the grandkids kept wanting to play with them . So i had read that blue dawn works & i had read vinegar worked , so i mixed up water & blue dawn & vinegar & gave them a long bath .
It works , but you have to do it again every few days . But it's worth the trouble ............i can't stand fleas & i know it makes them miserable.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:17 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by tagarza
I was wondering the same thing. We have a kitten, she is about 3 months old and was a stray and we got her when she was only a few days old. We did the Dawn but they always come back, we washed all bedding etc and they still come back.

I googled the Pet Armor and saw that Facebook has a $5 coupon. Where is this sold and what is the price for it? Thanks!
It's sold at Walmart. But check the reviews on it. I was going to try it but the reviews was horrible.
Old 07-22-2012, 06:44 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Frontline. I find it expensive, but it's better than the whole pet household coming down with fleas. And good for the humans because we won't get bitten.
Fubu
and Stealth
Old 07-22-2012, 09:19 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leighlee2 View Post
It's sold at Walmart. But check the reviews on it. I was going to try it but the reviews was horrible.
Quote:
Originally Posted by babymk View Post
Frontline. I find it expensive, but it's better than the whole pet household coming down with fleas. And good for the humans because we won't get bitten.
I have used both this year and neither are working worth a darn. Switched to Advantage and it is actually working.
Old 07-22-2012, 11:12 AM

My Mood/Status:
Tiffanyanderson81 has posted more than 100 good deals!Tiffanyanderson81 has posted more than 100 good deals!
For them yard use moth balls and sevens dust and for them animals dawn dish soap
Old 07-22-2012, 11:18 AM

My Mood/Status:
paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!paulsonja has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
If Frontline works for you, Pet Armor will. It's the same ingredient, only $14 cheaper. When we lived in the South, the fleas were so bad it didn't work and we went to Comfortis for the dogs and kept with the Frontline for the cats I think(or it could have been Advantage) but limited the cats' outside time. We found if we kept the dogs' fleas in check the cats benefited

Some years are just terrible for fleas. When that happens, you have to give it the big guns. For dogs, Comfortis worked miracles for us. That and we used Precor 2000 in the house. It's professional grade stuff and it works. We had the worst flea infestation ever in New Orleans one summer. I was in tears. We all had fleas. I could see fleas moving on my dogs and could pick off a dozen at a time . . . I get freaked out thinking about it . . . We went to the vet. He gave us the Comfortis. Within an hour we literally saw the fleas drop off the dogs' body (not good for cats). The vet said to buy the Precor 2000, both the spray and the bomb for the house. We used the bomb and then the spray (7 days) and the fleas literally disappeared. I can't say enough good things about this product. I think it was about $10 a can and $20 for the flea bomb, I would have paid triple, quadruple even, heck I'd have spent every last penny I had. I worked that well and fast.
The Following User Says Thank You to paulsonja For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2012, 04:10 PM

when I lived on 5 acres 2 years ago I used dawn dish soap on the yard. I forget the dilution amount but can find it online. Use one of those miracle grow hose attachments set to proper amount and soak the yard my hubby thought I lost my mind washing the grass but we Didn't have one flea or one tick that year and we had a lot of stray cats and raccoons and every other wild animal Going thru our yard.
The Following User Says Thank You to AChiodini For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2012, 11:36 PM

Mirabilis has posted more than 5 good deals
I've done Revolution. Got it through the vet for fifteen bucks a dose. Lasts a month and is considered safe. I did three months on all the cats. The fleas seem to die on them after a day or two. It also kills a few other parasites.

Once the fleas are dead on them, lots of cleaning. Wash all linens in hot water and dry on high if possible. You can use a few different things to clean the carpets. If you have someone who can take the pets for the day, you can use borax. Sprinkle on carpet, wait a few hours, vacuum, then throw the bag in the outside trash.

If you can't kick the pets out, food grade diatomaceous earth works well for a lot of people. Use same technique as borax. You can also gently rub in some of the powder into their fur for immediate relief. Can't do their face, though, since it's dusty.

If you're still finding fleas after a month, I would call an exterminator over bombing the house yourself. They can often use chemicals that are more kid and pet-friendly. They can also treat your yard, which could be a reason for the fleas not going away.

Also, change your clothes when you immediately come in your house. The critters are known for hitching rides.
Old 07-26-2012, 02:50 PM

Sydni22 has posted more than 50 good deals
The DG brand works. But as soon as a gave her a bath they were back.
Old 08-23-2012, 10:47 AM

My Mood/Status:
akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!akitalover has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
We use comfortis on our dog, and it works great. I have been considering switching to VetGuard Plus since it is cheaper, but I want to see if anyone has tried or uses it first.
, and a 3 year old akita

"Raisin cookies that look like chocolate chip cookies are the main reason I have trust issues."