Seperation Anxiety In Dogs??

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 09:41 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

kgnagey17 has posted more than 50 good deals
Seperation anxiety in dogs??

My shih tzu (Samson, 2yrs old) has recently started to seem like he has anxiety when I leave for work. His whole ten pound body shakes. Now the last two days he hasnt had much of an appetite, but will take table scraps no problem. I am taking him to the vet tomorrow. Hes not descructive or anything, just looks terrified when I leave for work? Anyone ever dealt with this?? Please share!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20120406_003907.jpg (16.3 KB, 15 views)
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20120406_004040.jpg (13.4 KB, 13 views)
File Type: jpg ForumRunner_20120406_004116.jpg (15.0 KB, 17 views)
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 04-05-2012, 11:49 PM

RE: Seperation anxiety in dogs??

cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cyndibru has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
Yes. I have a Shih-Tzu who is 4 years old. We got him as a puppy. We also have a 13 year old Dachshund. From the time our Shih-Tzu was about 1, he developed a fear of storms. Lightning and thunder are the worse, but even heavy rain works him up. He simply cannot settle down, even if you are holding him. This has progressively worsened as he gets older. The two dogs had always just slept in our family room on the couch and were gated in. About a year ago, the Shih-Tzu started going nuts whenever we turned out the light and went to bed, scratching at the metal gate, throwing himself at it, etc. We tried leaving the light on, the stereo on, etc.....things would help for a while but then not work any more. We got the Thundershirt....supposed to help with sep. anxiety and fear of storms. No miracles there....it helps a little, not much. Since I don't work, his behavior basically altered MY sleep schedule so my DH who leaves for work at 5:30 AM could get his needed rest. In the past 6 months or so, my 19 year old has had the dogs sleep with him and it is much better, but during a bad storm the dog will still go berserk. At least now if we have to leave during the day he seems calmer than before.
Old 04-06-2012, 01:31 AM

exhausted

My Mood/Status:
Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Goddessoflubbock has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
Is there anything going on nearby that could be scaring him, like construction or even someone getting a new roof? Any kind of change could be scaring him, even the mailman ringing the bell with a package.

My poodle is terrified of everything, luckily his crate makes him feel safe and he's in there when we're all out (rare) and he sleeps there.
Old 04-06-2012, 08:45 PM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
I hate to go Cesar Millan on you, but it's bad behavior. Please be civil when I say;

It's something you need to train out of you and him. (Referencing from experience. My DH has been an animal trainer for over 20 years now. Dogs and horses)

I've seen a terrified, badly abused cat finally settle down from my DH's training.

Some points to consider.

* Do you have anxiety about leaving him alone? (something changed for you and your routine?)
*How much time do you spend with him? (play, walks, etc)
*When did the behavior start?

I would start with play. See if walks and play will help. No? Try having someone leave the house (but not really leave, just walk out of the door) and then use corrective re-enforcement (if he whines, goes nuts, etc a gentle tap to his bum or a Cesar Millan shhhh shhh or a squeeky ball. DH used those to train our sheltie from yipping at people during our walks)

It may take time, but the reward of your puppy behaving is worth the work. I have seen people get dogs, cats, horses, etc and never think what do they need? A pack leader. I had a horse that would get loose on my boss all the time and he would only come to food for my boss. I could use a commanding tone and the horse would walk right up to me. Why? I was the pack leader. I spent time with this horse. I was his boss, not the guy who paid me.

It's easy to want to cuddle, coddle, pamper a terrified looking animal. They need direction like they would in the wild.

HTH. Again, from experience. No negative comments please.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Fubu
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and Stealth
The Following User Says Thank You to babymk For This Useful Post:
Old 04-07-2012, 08:14 AM

kgnagey17 has posted more than 50 good deals
This behavior really has just started. We live in the country so no construction or anything near us. The mailbox is at the end of the driveway on the opposite side so I dont know if he would here that. Samson is a pretty mellow dog so I just dont understand what it could be. I had him to the vet and apparently he is as healthy as a horse. I do hate leaving him here when I leave because he is here all alone. After work, I take him for a walk everday that lasts between 45-60 minutes. Of course we have play time throughout the day. I try not to make a big fuss out of leaving or coming back. He sleeps in bed with us and usually has to be at my side all the time. Do you think maybe some kind of companion (dog or cat) would help, he is the only pet right now. Thanks for all the answers!
Old 04-07-2012, 12:11 PM

9/22 I had a BEAUTIFUL baby girl!

My Mood/Status:
misticmimic has posted more than 100 good deals!misticmimic has posted more than 100 good deals!
I would suggest getting him a companion. They are pack animals after all. I have 9 dogs and my Alaskan Husky has sep anxiety really bad. If I don't lock Aztec in a kennel when I leave for town for a couple hours I come home to hoarding in my couch, an eaten couch, and garbage everywhere. We just got rid of the old couch 2 days ago because she had eaten too much of it. (I hate to lock the dogs up even if I'm gone because they have a doggy door and an acre of fenced yard to play in. I started locking her and one of the two cats in an XL crate with a rawhide. They are both totally calm and happy when I get back. Now if I just put Aztec in a kennel she charges it and has demolished 2 of them and at over $120 each that just isn't ok. Hopefully you get your situation sorted out and your doggy can be happy even while you are out and about.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Thunder shirts?? Pro-Quiet helps my 13 yr. old lab he gets anxious at night and during storms...also rescue remedy is supposed to help too..