More Baby Goats!

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2012, 09:39 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
More Baby Goats!

We had more babies born on our farm Thursday! I got a call from my DH a little after 4 pm, saying that our DD went out to the barn after school and found two baby goats, once again abandonded by their momma! He said they were really cold and not cleaned off at all and that I shouldn't get my hopes up on these babies living. I asked him to take them in the house and try warming them up and I'd be home from work in 20 minutes.
When I got home, he had cleaned them up a little and wrapped them in a towel. First thing I did was take their temp. At this point, they were both so cold that my digital thermometer wouldn't register a temp! (NOT good!) So I did what (hopefully) any good goat mommy would do, I put them in a trash bag, tied it shut around their neck and ran them a really warm bath. (the bag keeps them dry) Within a couple hours they're temp was up to normal and they were wanting something to eat, so I went out to find the mama goat and milked some of her colostrum fed them. They have been bouncing around my house ever since!
The blonde one is doing great, but the brown baby has a touch of floppy kid syndrome...she's still learning to walk but otherwise seems healty. I took her to my vet yesterday and he gave me a selenium injection for her, so hopefully she shows great improvement soon!
I take the blonde baby out with me when I milk her mamma. Her mamma knows it's her kid. She talks to it and licks it, but won't let her nurse.
And since I know you're dying to see a pic of the babies....this one was taken Thursday night when they were just a few hours old.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarrieM For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 02-04-2012, 09:43 AM

RE: More Baby Goats!

AFC Star Member

My Mood/Status:
tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tmy56 has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
They are so cute - and obviously a lot of work.
I have never seen a blonde goat before.
I hope their improvement continues.
The Following User Says Thank You to tmy56 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-05-2012, 05:38 PM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!CarrieM has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
Well, the babies are still doing about the same. I did get a brilliant idea today though. I had $5 RR to burn and decided to buy some diapers for the goats. Pampers were $9.99 and offered a $2 RR...

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to CarrieM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2012, 07:22 AM

Bwaahaahaaa!
Here too much!

My Mood/Status:
Moggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Moggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Moggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Moggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Moggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Moggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Moggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Moggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Moggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Moggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Moggy has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
OMG, they are sooo cute. Do you know why the mama doesn't want them? Is that common among goat mama's?
Harris Teeter!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 02-14-2012, 07:27 AM

My Mood/Status:
teshia has posted more than 100 good deals!teshia has posted more than 100 good deals!
oMG HOW SWEET. LOVE THEM!!!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to teshia For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 AM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moggy View Post
OMG, they are sooo cute. Do you know why the mama doesn't want them? Is that common among goat mama's?
I'm not sure why their mama rejected them. They will usually reject them if there is something wrong with the baby, so maybe she knew that the brown one was weak, I really don't know though. My vet and I both think that maybe she had a hard time birthing these babies. I also have to wonder if the previous owners always pulled her babies at birth, never giving her a chance to take care of them, so they could milk her.

The babies are still doing good. The little brown one, now named Sassy, is getting around better and yesterday started jumping around a little and trying to be playful.
The Following User Says Thank You to CarrieM For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2012, 08:46 AM

My Mood/Status:
daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!daisybelle has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
OMG!!! They are so precious!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to daisybelle For This Useful Post:
Old 02-14-2012, 08:51 AM

My Mood/Status:
mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!mommyslh has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
my girls would love a couple of those in our house, they are so cute.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
The Following User Says Thank You to mommyslh For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2012, 03:16 PM

My Mood/Status:
susiesaves2 has posted more than 10 good deals
The picture of them in their diapers made my day! Cutest little things.
The Following User Says Thank You to susiesaves2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-15-2012, 03:21 PM

My Mood/Status:
crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!crystallv has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
They are too cute love the diaper Picts.
step mom to aj 18yrs old
wife to Alfred
The Following User Says Thank You to crystallv For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 02:41 PM

My Mood/Status:
susiesaves2 has posted more than 10 good deals
How are the goats doing?
The Following User Says Thank You to susiesaves2 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 02:52 PM

AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!AChiodini has posted more than 100 good deals!
I love goats!!!!!! I've always wanted some. They are beyond adorable. Hope all is well!
The Following User Says Thank You to AChiodini For This Useful Post:
Old 02-25-2012, 12:06 AM

AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by susiesaves2 View Post
How are the goats doing?
All of the babies are doing great! My vet and I have both come to the conclusion that the dark brown girl (Sassy) has brain damage, possibly from a hard birth and lack of oxygen. He said she may come out of it so I plan to keep her for a while. If she thrives once she is moved out to the barn, then we'll keep her around, but if she doesn't do very well, then sadly we'll be selling her for slaughter unless I can find someone that wants a goat with brain damage as a pet.
The girls have a new friend in the house too. I brought my lamancha baby in and I'm finishing her off with a bottle. Her mama just wasn't producing enough milk. I'll try to get some recent pics uploaded later.