How Many Dogs Do You Have In Your House? How Many Is Too Many?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2012, 11:28 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
How many dogs do you have in your house? How many is too many?

I'm trying to decide how many is too many. DH and I have 2 dogs: A dorky- Dachshund/Yorkie (my avatar pic) and a black Lab. We also have one indoor cat. I'm an animal lover and would take as many as DH said yes to. However, he doesn't want a zoo.

We were discussing dogs this weekend (because I wanted to take a bulldog home with me). He told me we didn't need another BIG dog. I took this to mean that a small dog was ok. (:haha) He asked if I wanted another Yorkie. I told him that I think I want another Chihuahua. My ex (not so D)H and I had 2 that were absolutely the best dogs!

Anyway, fast forward a few hours. DH works a double shift Saturday from midnight until 4 PM. He gets home and tells me that a Sgt he works with asked if he knew anyone who wanted a dog. She has 4 and can't take care of them all. The dog she wanted to give away is her daughter's dog. Apparently the daughter bought the dog then moved and left it for her mom to care for.

I ask DH what kind of dog and he sighs......a Chihuahua. He asked me if I wanted it. Of course I want it! Every dog should be so lucky as to live with me. However, I left the decision up to DH. I don't want to force 3 dogs on him when he never wanted one in the house. (He loves both of our dogs now.) If I push the issue, he will say yes. Our house is very clean. Apart from the basket full of dog toys, you'd never know we had two dogs in the house.

Anyway, I said all of that to get to this:

How many dogs live in your house? How many do you consider to be too many?
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:34 AM

RE: How many dogs do you have in your house? How many is too many?

My Mood/Status:
ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
as many as you can take care of and have room. Also watch out for city limits (in case neighbors complain). I have under a 2000 sq ft house and have (had) 3 big dogs. 2 huskies - 50 & 65 lbs and 1 Australian shepherd mix 75lb. We have plenty of room. My dogs shed and have to vacuum everyday (hardwood floors)

Now that Cody's is gone, (and lots of the furballs disappeared too) I don't think of getting another one for awhile.

They are lots of work but the rewards are priceless...

Go ahead and get that little dog!

Working mommy to 6yr old
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
and 2mth old
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
;
Mr. Jericho and
Big Cody(doggy heaven 12/13/11)
Slick Nick (doggy heaven 6/10/14)

Last edited by ArwenEvenstar; 01-30-2012 at 11:37 AM.
The Following User Says Thank You to ArwenEvenstar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 11:39 AM

My Mood/Status:
polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!polydoly13 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
When I met DH I had an indoor large dog (90 lbs) and an indoor cat. If you ask DH that's too many but he puts up with them. I haven't tried to get another one simply because I'm happy with them and I have 3 outdoor dogs (trying to make that 4 but might have a hard time convincing DH of that). I'm prob not helping your cause but if you can properly feed and clean up after them all then I don't think 3 is too many. My dad and his wife have 2 big & 1 small indoor dogs. I have a friend who has 5-6 chihuaha crosses that come in the house at night but spend most of their days outside. I guess my question is - are you gonna stop at 3? If not, is there a reason why you'd want to collect them? Just preventative questions so you don't turn into that weird dog lady that lives down the street.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to polydoly13 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 11:41 AM

My Mood/Status:
cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!cgpother has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
My Lab is 120 lbs. Our house is about 1900 sq. ft. We live on 5 acres in the middle of nowhere.

Our Lab sheds like crazy. DH sweeps and vacuums when he gets home in the mornings and one of us will sweep again at night. We bought leather furniture so it would be easier to clean.

Wow...I can't imagine 2 huskies inside! They are beautiful dogs, though!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:44 AM

My Mood/Status:
liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!liibyz has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
We have two, a black lab & a chocolate lab. I think if you can't take care of them all properly then, you have too many.
Always looking for JCPenny $10/$10 coupons.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to liibyz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 11:45 AM

cpupgirl

My Mood/Status:
allpikes has posted more than 25 good deals
I currently have 10, is that too many? . My son and grandson have been living with me while their home is being remodeled. They have 5 (theirs are all small) and I have 5 (mine are all big). It's been an "active" four months. Really ready for that reconstruction to be finished, but I love them all. Granddogs are precious too
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to allpikes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 11:46 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by polydoly13 View Post
When I met DH I had an indoor large dog (90 lbs) and an indoor cat. If you ask DH that's too many but he puts up with them. I haven't tried to get another one simply because I'm happy with them and I have 3 outdoor dogs (trying to make that 4 but might have a hard time convincing DH of that). I'm prob not helping your cause but if you can properly feed and clean up after them all then I don't think 3 is too many. My dad and his wife have 2 big & 1 small indoor dogs. I have a friend who has 5-6 chihuaha crosses that come in the house at night but spend most of their days outside. I guess my question is - are you gonna stop at 3? If not, is there a reason why you'd want to collect them? Just preventative questions so you don't turn into that weird dog lady that lives down the street.
LOL....that is a valid question. Yes, I would stop at 3. The only reason I say this is because I don't think you should have any more pets (or children) than you are financially able to care for. I make sure my dogs are fed a good quality food, even if it is more expensive and there are coupons for it. I make sure they are healthy. I wouldn't want to ever get into a position where I couldn't afford to care for my pets.

Would I ever want another dog? Probably! I can't stand to see a dog in need. For some reason, people dump dogs off where I work all the time. It takes all I can do to pull over at the security office to pet the strays and then drive away, but I do. I did take one home that had been hit by an employee here. Nobody else was doing anything and the dog had been living here over a month. I took him to the vet to make sure he was ok then kept him until I found him a good home (met 4 different people before I found the "right" match).
Old 01-30-2012, 11:47 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by liibyz View Post
We have two, a black lab & a chocolate lab. I think if you can't take care of them all properly then, you have too many.
I agree!
Old 01-30-2012, 11:48 AM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by allpikes View Post
I currently have 10, is that too many? . My son and grandson have been living with me while their home is being remodeled. They have 5 (theirs are all small) and I have 5 (mine are all big). It's been an "active" four months. Really ready for that reconstruction to be finished, but I love them all. Granddogs are precious too
Yikes!! I bet you are ready!

My mom calls ours her Granddogs, too....
Old 01-30-2012, 11:53 AM

My Mood/Status:
ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!ArwenEvenstar has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
If I had a bigger house and lived in the country, I would have 4-5 dogs... as long as you can take care of them, feed them, pay health expenses, have the room,,, GO FOR IT!

Working mommy to 6yr old
and 2mth old
;
Mr. Jericho and
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ArwenEvenstar For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 11:57 AM

Lift while you climb
Aldi Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!tratra has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I think it depends on your lifestyle. If you want and can care for (money-wise, space-wise, time-wise) 3, then 3 is the right answer for you. Shoot though, putting the chihuahua and the yorkie together barely makes a single dog, so you're hardly up to 2 with all of them.

We had 4 dogs inside up until about a year ago when one of them died. 2 were over 100 lbs, 2 were about 50. We have 3 now, and it is fine as long as I keep the floors swept. They have a dog door and a large fenced yard, so there's no dog mess to clean up. Well, unless one of them decides to raid the trash can or see what she can find on the counter when we're not looking. We also have 2 indoor/outdoor cats and another 5 that use us for food and love a few times a week.

Watch for temperament. Even a little spit of a pooch can make life miserable if he brings chaos and/or aggression into the pack.

DELTA region for Kroger stores
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tratra For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 12:00 PM

My Mood/Status:
benniecooper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!benniecooper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!benniecooper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!benniecooper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!benniecooper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!benniecooper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
You also have to be fair to the dogs you already have. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. I have a Pit Bull dog, who is my baby, and a Maine Coon cat. My DH has a lab mix and the other cat. If I brought home another dog, my boy would be heart broken. Otis loves Jack, the lab mix, like a brother. They get along very, very well. But I just don't think it would be fair to them to bring in more.

Ban the Deed Not the Breed-I am a proud American Pit Bull Terrier Owner
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to benniecooper For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 12:12 PM

girl79 has posted more than 150 good deals!girl79 has posted more than 150 good deals!
2 weeks ago we got our 2nd dog, a female golden retriever puppy. We also have a 10 year old border collie/husky mix. GREAT dog. We also have 2 cats, a 16 year old Main Coon and a 13 year old (not certain on type). I was the one who wanted to get another dog. I wanted a friend for our current dog and since all our pets are over 10 years and our kids are still young I figured let's get a younger pet. Ironically right after we got the puppy we found out our main coin cat is dying of liver cancer

For us, 2 dogs, 2 cats (along with 2 kids) is our limit. We love animals and would love to save all strays but obviously that's just not possible.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl79 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 12:28 PM

My Mood/Status:
Quote:
Originally Posted by benniecooper View Post
You also have to be fair to the dogs you already have. I have 2 dogs and 2 cats. I have a Pit Bull dog, who is my baby, and a Maine Coon cat. My DH has a lab mix and the other cat. If I brought home another dog, my boy would be heart broken. Otis loves Jack, the lab mix, like a brother. They get along very, very well. But I just don't think it would be fair to them to bring in more.
I had my Lab when we adopted our little dog from the animal shelter. Thankfully, they have gotten along from day one. I made sure the Lab was very well socialized because I had never had a big dog before. I wanted to know that he would obey me and didn't want to have to worry about children/noises/visitors, etc.

We think our little one might have been abused. She hates the sound of clapping. She can't stand for anyone to touch anyone else. Other than that, she is the funniest little thing. She just isn't the smartest little thing. I've only managed to teach her "sit, touch, get down, potty and drop it". My Lab knows tons of commands and catches on super fast. Molly doesn't, though.

Anyway, I wouldn't have another dog if it stressed either one of my pets. If they didn't get along, I would either give her back to the previous owner if she wanted it or I would find a good home for her.
Old 01-30-2012, 12:47 PM

Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!Seirith has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
We have zero dogs because we had to put ours to sleep last year but we do have 4 indoor cats. I think too many is different for each person. Can you afford another dog? Do you have time for another? What will your other dogs think to a new addition?

I understand wanting to save them all because I do too! DH and I would love another dog but we just don't have the time or money right now with my back in school.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Seirith For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 04:33 PM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 3000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have one dog currently. However, after taking him to the vet the first time and finding out he doesn't like other dogs I am going to stick with just one. Besides he sheds enough for 10. Sad part is my dog was a rescue and the lady that had him had 6 other dogs in the same house with him.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SLance68 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 04:53 PM

My Mood/Status:
lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!lvmyhubby2001 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
We have 2 great danes and a rott. Yes all inside.
We only have one room that is carpeted. So much easier to clean. We have about 3/4 of an acre. I am not sure what the square footage is but it could be a 4 bedroom house. I agree with all the previous posts. From the way it sounds though the new dog would be very happy in your family.
Old 01-30-2012, 05:15 PM

is always on the lookout for Panda Bears!
Supporting Member

My Mood/Status:
Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!Susuz has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
My DD has two dogs, DH has one, DD has two cats. DD's dogs are a rescue that showed up and never left and the other is a Westie, I just love those dogs! DH has a black lab mix that I tell everyone "THAT is not my dog!" but of course who does he love more than anyone, ME! DH brought him home even though I didn't want another pet but he works out of town during the week so of course he bonded with me.

I do think that two dogs are easier to care for, and I think for us that is enough. I try to help any pets we come across but do not need another because of health issues I have.

I will say that when we lived in Sarasota, Florida we had 4 dogs, 3 Westies and 1 Black lab and one cat and we had problems finding a place to live. There are neighborhoods that limit you to 2 dogs, and NO ONE would rent to us with 4 dogs and a cat. It is just one of those things, lots of neighborhoods with all kinds of restrictive covenants.

I am so far behind I think I'm First!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Susuz For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 06:59 PM

Brutuses has posted more than 200 great deals!Brutuses has posted more than 200 great deals!Brutuses has posted more than 200 great deals!
Dogs are harder to handle than cats. When I had 3 large dogs temporarily it was problematic because anything over 2 and they get that "pack" mentality and revert to being wild if given the chance. When I had three, even though they were trained and all got along with the cats, one day they decided to go after one of the cats. Well this actually happened 2 times and the second time they bit a cat pretty bad. So I had to find a home for the newest dog so the other 2 would get back to being my pets and not members of a "dog pack."

If you have the money, space and time then go for it. I personally rescue cats because they are much easier to take care of then a quantity of dogs.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Brutuses For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 07:09 PM

Draco likes hamsters!

My Mood/Status:
Lululover97 has posted more than 200 great deals!Lululover97 has posted more than 200 great deals!Lululover97 has posted more than 200 great deals!
For a week last year, our house had 4 cats and 2 dogs! We got our little black bobtail kitty one week before my cat (who was about 6 which is young for a cat to die but she had kidney failure for about 2 years and it was a miracle she made it that long) died. Early december was when our greyhound passed so suddenly from liver cancer we didnt know about. Now we have 1 dog and 3 cats and probably will get another greyhound over the summer!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lululover97 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2012, 04:42 AM

My Mood/Status:
sorry for your loss lululover97. My husky Cody just passed in December too.. I think she had bladder cancer or something.. It was very sudden unexpected. She was fine one day and the next day....not so good.

Working mommy to 6yr old
and 2mth old
;
Mr. Jericho and
The Following User Says Thank You to ArwenEvenstar For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2012, 07:19 PM

My Mood/Status:
lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!
As my user name says I have 4 great danes. i feel that is enough since hubby and I work full time. We would take on another rescue (or 2) if absolutly needed. If I did not have to work then we would certainly have 2 more.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:22 PM

:(
Steelers Fan

My Mood/Status:
manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!manders13 has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
We have 5. All small under 15lbs. But we have room too. 2300 SQFT. We also have cats. DH wants a big dog.. i'm not buying into it though.
Old 02-01-2012, 07:45 PM

Mississippi Momma :)

My Mood/Status:
Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!Shannaranee:) has posted more than 400 great deals!
We have 2 rotties and 1 inside cat, our dogs sleep in the house, athena in her crate as she is only 5 months old. Zeus 13 months old sleeps wherever his big butt falls, but we have inground dog ties out front and fenced in back, but thats the joy of ten acres, love my duck pond also
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Shannaranee:) For This Useful Post:
Old 02-03-2012, 06:55 PM

My Mood/Status:
2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
We have 2 black labs and 2 mini american eskimos and a siamese mix.. I work for a vet Thank Goodness..my old lab will be 15 in June..the other is 5 with a mild seizure disorder..the Eskimos I got from my co-worker...one is 2 and the mom is 9 with bad teeth..the kitten I got thru a rescue client she has a bad eye...if I had more room and did not work I would prob. just stick with what I have and feel blessed!!
The Following User Says Thank You to 2blacklabs For This Useful Post: