Pets With Anxiety

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 01:08 PM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

Mad_Miller20 has posted more than 10 good deals
Pets with Anxiety

My dog is 2 years old, and she has the worst anxiety, especially when there is a storm. She hates thunder and lighting and shakes uncontrollably. She also shakes and gets uncomfortable when I am hosting a lot of people at my house. She does fine in public in large groups but, she gets nervous in our home. I've discussed this with the vet, and they have suggested meds. I'm wondering if anyone's animals are on medicine for their anxiety. If so, do they help? Does it alter your pets mood/personality? I don't want to drug her if I don't have to, and I especially don't want to if it has negative effects on her.
The Following User Says Thank You to Mad_Miller20 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-25-2012, 01:12 PM

RE: Pets with Anxiety

probably at Target
AFC Administrator

My Mood/Status:
AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!AngieP has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
I've always given my dogs a couple benedryl (pink ones) to calm them through storms and other anxiety enduced situations. My vet said thats the most common and inexpensive thing to give to dogs with anxiety. Check with your vet for proper dosage based on the size of your dog. I've had no issues with side effects.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
~I will not run in the rain, I will not run near a train. I will not run when it's hot, Enjoy running? I do not ~
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rescue a pet today~~they'll be forever grateful

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AngieP For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 01:20 PM

Mad_Miller20 has posted more than 10 good deals
Thank you! It is so sad to see her so upset. I will ask my vet about this OTC option.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:25 PM

My Mood/Status:
vbchick87 has posted more than 100 good deals!vbchick87 has posted more than 100 good deals!
I did the same thing with my beagle, she weighed about 30lbs and I would give her 1/2 Benadryl tab and it would calm her down. One time I accidentally dropped a whole one and she ate it right up! I called the vet and he said it was fine, she would just be extra, extra sleepy, which she was It would take several pills to overdose a decently sized dog. Now a 2lb chihuahua I wouldnt give anything to that I didnt get from a vet! haha
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to vbchick87 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2012, 01:37 PM

shops too much!
Be yourself!

My Mood/Status:
Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!Kayline has posted more than 6000 great deals! WHOA!!
One word (well, one that should really be two ) Thundershirt. Thankfully, I've never needed one for my dog but I've heard only good things about them from people I know who use them.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:39 PM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have had to give my former dog benadryl for her dry spots. The vet had me get children's benadryl and give it to her based on her weight like a kid. Of course she weighed 50 lbs so not a small dog. I would ask the Vet before giving anything like that just to make sure of the dosage. The one I would get was cherry flavored liquid and I would just put some on a piece of bread and she thought she was getting a treat - kept her from scratching the hot spots.
Old 01-25-2012, 01:49 PM

My Mood/Status:
benniecooper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!benniecooper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!benniecooper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!benniecooper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!benniecooper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!benniecooper has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
I am another benadryl user. It works wonders for my dogs, well dog. I have a pitbull that could care less about what is going on around him. BUT our lab mix is terrified of thunderstorms and fireworks. So we give him benadryl & he relaxes.

Also, does your dog have her own area? Jack, the lab with issues, likes to seek refuge in his bed when it's storming. The boys have dog beds in our bedroom, but the door is usually shut when we are not sleeping. If it storms or something is bothering him, I open the door and let him come & go. This seems to relax him quite a bit. Otis, my Pit, has a large crate. If by chance something bothers him, he goes in his crate. We just took the door off and it's like a house for him.

Ban the Deed Not the Breed-I am a proud American Pit Bull Terrier Owner
Old 01-28-2012, 06:03 PM

My Mood/Status:
2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!2blacklabs has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
Benedryl doesn't work for my 13 year old lab..I use pro-quiet..and sometimes he also needs a 25mg of acepromazine..Alot of our clients also swear by Rescue Remedy it is sold at some pet stores and also at Nutrional Supplement stores as well..
Old 02-01-2012, 08:22 PM

My Mood/Status:
lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!lovemy4danes has posted more than 100 good deals!
Wow! I never heard of using Benedryl for anxiety! What a great idea! One of our danes has severe separation anxiety so I will have to talk to the vet to see if that would help.