Cat Questions

Reply Hey Mom! Learn more about the Gerber Life Insurance Grow-Up Plan!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 10:43 AM
is surfing AFC for the latest deals!

My Mood/Status:
momo2boyzunder2 has posted more than 10 good deals
cat questions

ok so i got a "kitten" from a shelter he is 8months. they said he was fixed. ive been told that fixed cats are less likely to want to go outside. well this cat is crazy. he is always running out the door. when i go out the sliding glas door he paws on it like a dog. i don't know what to do. how do i stop this?
The Following User Says Thank You to momo2boyzunder2 For This Useful Post:
Become a AFC Supporting Member Today and Make These Ads Go Away!

Advertisement

Advertisement

Old 01-22-2012, 11:20 AM

RE: cat questions

Conductor of blinkies and tearpad train
AFC Forum Leader

My Mood/Status:
elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!elvis fan has posted more than 7000 great deals! WHOA!!
i have 3 fixed cats and they love to go outside i think it because cats likes to be outside
i dont know how to tell you how to stop it.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

tiger tom tom thumber

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 15 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:23 AM

Grounded for Life

My Mood/Status:
babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!babymk has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
When I was growing up, I was grossly uneducated about cats. This comes from my experience.

Cats, fixed or not WILL ALWAYS HAVE THE INSTINCT TO BE OUTSIDE. Cats are hunters. Its centuries of interwoven training you're battling.

I'm not trying to be mean. But I do encourage you check out books on cats from your library. Or have a conversation with your veterinarian.

Make sure he has at least one toy, a place to perch and make sure you play with your cat! Its amazing how much fun a toy on a stick or something can be. My male loves those rubber bouncing balls you get out of quarter machines. BUT something like that I keep out of his reach when I'm not playing because he could chew it and get pieces lodged in his throat. They still need play even if there are other cats.

Hth. Again, not trying to be mean. But many pet owners are grossly uneducated.
Fubu
and Stealth
The Following User Says Thank You to babymk For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2012, 06:59 PM

My Mood/Status:
lawschoolsaver has posted more than 300 great deals!lawschoolsaver has posted more than 300 great deals!lawschoolsaver has posted more than 300 great deals!lawschoolsaver has posted more than 300 great deals!
My cats have never tried to go outside. They (4 of them) have never shown even the slightest interest. I'm not sure why this is, but we keep a lot of toys, cat trees, etc. around the house and have lots of play time with them. Have you ever tried walking a cat on a leash? I've heard this can be a good way to expose your cat to the outdoors without all the dangers.

Old 01-22-2012, 07:34 PM

I'M BAAAACK!

My Mood/Status:
deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!deneisetorres has posted more than 2000 great deals! WHOA!!
I was also told that having your cat fixed would make them less likely to want to go outside. However, I had the complete opposite experience with one. He was fairly docile & never tried to go outside, never showed any interest in open doors, or anything. When he was about 9 months old I took him to be fixed so that he wouldn't spray the house. As soon as he recovered from the operation (2-3 days later?) he began to try sneaking past us every time we opened a door. He escaped a few times & we had a difficult time finding him & getting him back in the apartment. One evening this happened and after hours of searching we were sitting on our back patio when he scratched to be let back in. He could not walk. I took him to the emergency vet & found that his pelvis & both his back legs were crushed. The Doc said it looked like a boot heel impression. I had no choice except to put him to sleep.
This was 15 years ago & I still get choked up talking about it. I can't imagine who on earth could be so cruel as to stomp on a cat or any other creature. I just know that there is a special place for that person where his/her Karma will be having an eternal talk with them.
While I don't have a cure for you, I have a plea. If you live in an area that is heavily populated, please do everything you can to keep him inside. There are crazy people out there & some don't care who or what they hurt.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:11 PM

Happy to be saving money!!
Still learning, but getting better!

My Mood/Status:
Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!Minijump21 has posted more than 1500 great deals! WHOA!!
We have 3 cats. Only one of which has any desire to go outside. And she is fixed. We've become very stealthy at getting in and out without releasing her. We have a serious stray cat population and I have no doubt my declawed Chunk couldn't defend herself against feral cats. Or cruel people. I do not believe in outdoor cats, my sister had 2 killed by neighbor kids growing up. We make sure she has toys (she really likes the plastic rings off milk jugs), cat towers, and sunny windows to bake herself in. One last thing, when someone who doesn't know better lets her out, she runs to the lawn to eat the grass. That's all she wants. So we also try to grow that pet grass you can find at pet stores.
Old 01-22-2012, 08:23 PM

My Mood/Status:
hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!hailove has posted more than 750 great deals! WOW!
I've always had cats and even when spayed or neutered most of them wanted to go outside. I never figured out how to "train" them to stay in. Some of them stayed wise and kept to our yard..others wandered off and got catnapped or hit by cars

There's already some good ideas, a perch, some toys, grow some catnip/grass. I know there's harnesses so you can take your cat out for a walk and that maybe enough outside time for him and so you can supervise him.

It's hard keeping them in, just opening the door and they will dart under your feet so quick. If you can or if you haven't already, consider micro-chipping your kitty so if he gets lost he'll have a decent chance of finding a way back to you.
Old 07-25-2012, 10:46 PM

My Mood/Status:
tuxedocat1967 has posted more than 75 good deals!
Hi ,I've got 3 cats ( 2 male 1 female ) all are spayed / neutered. Of the 3 only 1 has the desire to " run" outside .
I spoil him rotten to get him to stay indoors.
Buy him treats , reward him when he stays in. Perhaps it would help? It's gotten to the point where when we know that we are opening a door we just with hold him or put him in a bedroom. There are sick people in the world that will go after innocent cats and do some horrible things to them . So I beg you do everything to keep him/ her inside.

Member of Garnette Blanton's trader alert list.
Please leave me + feedback !
Old 07-26-2012, 11:47 AM

Rather be Boating!!

My Mood/Status:
SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!SLance68 has posted more than 4000 great deals! WHOA!!
I have had one cat and he was fixed and he would NOT stay in overnight. He was perfectly happy to stay indoors all day and suck up the air conditioning but came night time and he was ready to go out.

Also haven't seen anyone mention the best cat toy ever invented - laser pointers. They are a blast. My neighbors Boxer even goes nuts for them. Just never point them in the eyes. You can get them pretty inexpensive at Walmart.
Old 07-26-2012, 01:42 PM

My Mood/Status:
tuxedocat1967 has posted more than 75 good deals!
Hi! Cats are nocturnal. They sleep during the day and hunt at night . In your cats case he loves the AC and your attention and goes out at night - probably to hunt. You'll find gifts outside from him probably too- dead birds/ nice / moles!
My 3 cats stay inside strictly . But there is a stray that I feed and he leaves me "gifts" all the time. Love all cats -
Too bad you can't keep him inside- can you buy kitty grass or grow catnip for him . How about treats at night?

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"][/color]

Member of Garnette Blanton's trader alert list.
Please leave me + feedback !
Old 07-26-2012, 02:42 PM

My drug of choice "Coupons"

My Mood/Status:
cajungirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!cajungirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!cajungirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!cajungirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!cajungirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!cajungirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!cajungirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!cajungirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!cajungirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!cajungirl has posted more than 1000 great deals!  WHOA!!
You should really try to keep your inside cats in, for your neighbors sake. I have extreme allergy to cats yet my neighbor's cat get on my patio furniture and I have to go to the hospital. I am at my wits end as to how to deal with this issue.
Old 07-26-2012, 03:43 PM

My Mood/Status:
Ellia has posted more than 100 good deals!Ellia has posted more than 100 good deals!
I have three cats, all were outside cats made into indoor cats. A cat's natural instinct is to hunt and be free. So we had to had to make our house a little more cat friendly, so we could keep them safe indoors, since one of our cats is FIV positive. There are four windows made so the cats can perch and watch "kitty TV", A.K.A looking outside. They have three scratching posts, tons of toys, and are played with constantly. We also have a carpeted wall that they enjoy climbing on when they're not supposed to.

At first, we had to be very aware of where the cats were and take the time to put them in the basement or bathroom every time someone needed to go outside, even now we need to be careful when the door is open. But with a lot of patience, they will stop trying to run out of the door. Two of our cats stopped trying to escape completely, and our big tom cat occasionally strolls out the door, but he usually doesn't get that far, because he thinks he is imaginary and thinks no one can see him slowly walking out the door.

Be very patient, it's possible that your cat can be made into and indoor cat, but you're never going to get rid of their instincts to be outside .But you can make being inside fun for your cat.

Ellia

PS forgot to add two are fixed the other one will be when he is older

Last edited by Ellia; 07-26-2012 at 03:58 PM.
Old 07-26-2012, 10:15 PM

My Mood/Status:
michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!michellzey has posted more than 500 great deals! WOW!
all 3 of my indoor only cats love to go outside for 1 reason only : to eat the grass! I now have 2 large pots on the floor in my kitchen and in my living room with catnip and "cat" grass, which has helped. good luck!